20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,956 posts in this topic. You are on page 118 of 260.
#5851 5 years ago

In the new 3.0 software, are there changes in the rules or new game settings? Or is it only new video and audio?

#5852 5 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

god I hope not, that was the best part and if so...…...why?

Ted admitted that it was a mistake. It still happens when no initials are asked to be entered. Apparently he introduced this bug when tweaking something with entering initials according to a post in google groups.

His words:
“Whoops. This is a mistake. I was fixing a little glitch in the "enter initials" lamp effect and introduced a different defect.”

I assume it will be fixed in a 3.01 or something.

#5853 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Smaug SE to be exact lol

Is there another Smaug edition?

#5854 5 years ago
Quoted from Insanity199:

Ted admitted that it was a mistake. It still happens when no initials are asked to be entered. Apparently he introduced this bug when tweaking something with entering initials according to a post in google groups.
His words:
“Whoops. This is a mistake. I was fixing a little glitch in the "enter initials" lamp effect and introduced a different defect.”
I assume it will be fixed in a 3.01 or something.

I wouldn’t expect it to be long, they have been on a tear between TH and DI

#5855 5 years ago

Here’s the VOD from yesterday’s stream. Smaug had a rough night

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/v338192805

#5856 5 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

god I hope not, that was the best part and if so...…...why?

They did not get rid of it. It only does not appear after you have to enter you initials for high scores and those awards. Ted said that he will fix that in the next update … probably not soon. I think they are working hard and concentrating on getting the next new pin ready for reveal probably in March.

#5857 5 years ago

I installed 3.0 yesterday. It is so much more polished than 3.95. Everything installed on my machine as smoothly as a ninja pinball!

Thanks JJP!

#5858 5 years ago

By the way, if like me, one of your VUKs (Balin in my case) is not ejecting the ball consistently regardless of power setting: Check your coil. There are 2 nuts(nylon) and 2 screws that holds the coil assembly together. I've then noticed that the coil sleeve was not installed properly, making the plunger bind a tad on the way up. The sleeve was not protruding at all out of the top of the coil, making the allen screw (on the plunger) stick to the assembly on the way up.

Loosen everything, push the sleeve up and re-fasten the coil.

EDIT: I think my machine (LE 874 of 1500) was assembled on a Friday. So far I have fixed: The MAN drop target assembly fell into the cab, had a tiny LED wire that was not zip-tied and got cut on the playfield rail, coil sleeve was not pushed all the way up on the Balin VUK. I think I'm good now though. What a fun game!

#5859 5 years ago

Highlighting a few parts of the stream. Here's a complete runthrough of Into the Fire (I LOVE this mode!):

#5860 5 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Here's a complete runthrough of Into the Fire

Awesome. I find it surprising though that Into the Fire doesn't pay off that much (in terms of points).

Played a super long game yesterday and managed to miss triggering Into the Fire 3 times (yes, dammit, 3 times!), but started about 6 Smaug Multiballs (and did not kill Smaug). My end score was 1.3 million.

You'd think completing Into the Fire would eclipse my score. Know what I mean?

#5861 5 years ago

I don't know the intricacies of the scoring, but I do know that the more difficult a mode you complete before going into ITF (or the other wizard modes) determines some of the scoring. So if you beat, say, The One Ring (a one-star mode), your ITF scoring will be a lot lower than if you beat a 5-star mode before going into it.

#5862 5 years ago

The Hobbit mini wizard modes are absolutely awesome. I don't know of anther pin that has modes with that much light, sound, shots, and visuals - they simply rock!

The beast pop ups add so much to the game - for quick targets to shot blockers - great game.

#5863 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

The Hobbit mini wizard modes are absolutely awesome. I don't know of anther pin that has modes with that much light, sound, shots, and visuals - they simply rock!
The beast pop ups add so much to the game - for quick targets to shot blockers - great game.

Exactly! This is why I don’t get all the complaining about the “open playfield”. The beast mechs -change- the playfield on the fly. How is this not almost a revolutionary feature ? It was a great idea before, but it is now a great implementation.

#5864 5 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Awesome. I find it surprising though that Into the Fire doesn't pay off that much (in terms of points).
Played a super long game yesterday and managed to miss triggering Into the Fire 3 times (yes, dammit, 3 times!), but started about 6 Smaug Multiballs (and did not kill Smaug). My end score was 1.3 million.
You'd think completing Into the Fire would eclipse my score. Know what I mean?

I'm finding that after the latest update, I can no longer get anywhere close to my original high scores (pre 2.96). All my original high scores range from 2.5M to 4.7M. I guess I need to play it even more now, just to make sure....but I'm having a hell of a time even breaking 1.5M after the upgrade. The game is much, much more enjoyable to play, but the scoring seems a lot harder now.

#5865 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

I'm finding that after the latest update, I can no longer get anywhere close to my original high scores (pre 2.96). All my original high scores range from 2.5M to 4.7M. I guess I need to play it even more now, just to make sure....but I'm having a hell of a time even breaking 1.5M after the upgrade. The game is much, much more enjoyable to play, but the scoring seems a lot harder now.

You have to complete modes. The harder the mode the greater the reward.
Hold the left flipper down to see the status report and mode values.

Just cradling the ball and timing out modes is no longer a valid technique.

#5866 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

If you are completing book modes such as "The One Ring", "Thief in the Night", and "Resurgence of Sauron" to qualify Arkenstone wizard modes, then you will find that the points received are much lower than before. You need to complete more difficult book modes to boost the scoring in the Arkenstone modes.

Look in Status Report ("Traveler's Journal") to see the TIER value for the book modes. (You need a third tier mode completed to score the same as before in the Arkenstone wizard modes.)

--Ted

#5867 5 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

(You need a third tier mode completed to score the same as before in the Arkenstone wizard modes.)

Awesome! Thanks. I am having a great time trying! What a game!

#5868 5 years ago

If you are completing book modes such as "The One Ring", "Thief in the Night", and "Resurgence of Sauron" to qualify Arkenstone wizard modes, then you will find that the points received are much lower than before. You need to complete more difficult book modes to boost the scoring in the Arkenstone modes.
Look in Status Report ("Traveler's Journal") to see the TIER value for the book modes. (You need a third tier mode completed to score the same as before in the Arkenstone wizard modes.)
--Ted

Ok, just so I understand this....

If I complete a tier 1 mode first for the book mode arkenstone, and then complete a tier 3 mode sometime before I get Into the Fire, will it be scored at the tier 1 level or the tier 3 level?

What about Barrel Escape - What if I complete a tier 1 only between ITF and BA, but still had completed a tier 3 back before Into the Fire.....Will the tier 3 carry over into Barrel Escape, or will it be only the tier 1 I used to qualify for the book mode Arkenstone for Barrel Escape?

#5869 5 years ago

Pretty sure it's whatever the highest level is before the Ark Mode. Then it resets and whatever new highest qualifies for the next Ark Mode.

#5870 5 years ago

After doing the update I now get a click click click sound before starting a game doesn't seem like a big deal but has anyone else had this

#5871 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

After doing the update I now get a click click click sound before starting a game doesn't seem like a big deal but has anyone else had this

A silly question I'll have a better look.

#5872 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Is there another Smaug edition?

There are 4 different versions of The Hobbit

Standard Edition
Limited Edition
Smaug Special Edition
Black Arrow Limited Edition

the last 3 editions are all the same with cosmetic differences.

#5873 5 years ago

Resurgence of Sauron may be a lower tier mode, but I never pass on it because it has one of the best call outs to start: "Gandalf, what if it's a trap?"

"It is undoubtedly a trap."

#5874 5 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Highlighting a few parts of the stream. Here's a complete runthrough of Into the Fire (I LOVE this mode!):

Cool video clip - thanks! Your enthusiasm for the game really adds to the enjoyment of viewing it. Makes me want to get a Hobbit that much more!

#5875 5 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

There are 4 different versions of The Hobbit
Standard Edition
Limited Edition
Smaug Special Edition
Black Arrow Limited Edition
the last 3 editions are all the same with cosmetic differences.

Right - I was asking specifically about Smaug, thanks! Isn’t Smaug the only one with the special additional attract mode videos?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5876 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Right - I was asking specifically about Smaug, thanks! Isn’t Smaug the only one with the special additional attract mode videos?

Black Arrow edition also has a special attract mode video.

--Ted

#5877 5 years ago

Was able to do the new 3.0 download via my Mac Mini (running most recent iOS) and a new 16GB Sandisk Cruiser Glide flash drive from Walmart. Was also able to do the upload to my THLE via the USB cable and not plug it directly into the open USB port on the main computer.

Took a few tries to get unerbootin to play nicely and load on my Mac Mini.

Had one pop-up after it all the files loaded where I had 3 options. Click “No” “Yes To All” and something else I can’t remember. I clicked “Yes To All” which apparently was the right choice because it all worked out.

If there is anyone close to me (norther NJ) having issues, you’re welcome to come borrow my loaded flash drive.
-Ran

#5878 5 years ago

Black Arrow edition also has a special attract mode video.
--Ted

Nice!!

#5879 5 years ago

BTW-
Now that we have TH 3.0 is there anyone out there that can share the best “stock” speaker settings they think sound the best with this full 3.0 update?
I saved my setting prior to 3.0 and they all uploaded fine after the 3.0 load but I feel the speakers don’t have the “oomph” they used to have.
-Ran

#5880 5 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

BTW-
Now that we have TH 3.0 is there anyone out there that can share the best “stock” speaker settings they think sound the best with this full 3.0 update?
I saved my setting prior to 3.0 and they all uploaded fine after the 3.0 load but I feel the speakers don’t have the “oomph” they used to have.
-Ran

Quoted from Ranhorton:

BTW-
-Ran

I agree, the sound seems to be missing the bass compared to the last code.

#5881 5 years ago
Quoted from Mallich667:

I'll list the strange behaviours below:
- At the end of a game Smaug only sets the playfield on fire when no one is allowed to enter their initials. If, for example, someone reaches a daily highscore, when smaug breathes fire, the lightshow is the same slightly flashy lamps as during entering initials. Also the lights stay this way until the start button is hit again and another game is started.
- The font on the screen near the ring button and down the score, seem a little more cloudy than before the update.
- Also there are small screen glitches near the ring button animation on the screen, depending on the color that the ring is showing at the moment. It's worst, when the ring lights orange (to light Torin).
- The LED's in the bumper area used to flash light blue. Now I have all variations of colors. From red, orange to dark blue. I'm not quite sure if this is a new color coding for bumper progress?
- When the map is completed and the Erebor music is played, at some point the music suddenly stopps. Not sure if It was because the captured ball got hit, or just something else, that quits the music.
Is there someone else who noticed strange things after the last update?
Greetings from Germany
Daniel Lammich

Hello,

LTG or other users, I am a little worried to update when I read this, could you confirm or explain those points please?

And last question, if I do a backup before, does the backup save the games counters so when I'll reinstall the backup it will bring back all game played and audits?

Thanks

#5882 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisLIX:

And last question, if I do a backup before, does the backup save the games counters so when I'll reinstall the backup it will bring back all game played and audits?

I believe you lose audits and games played. Just backs up settings or adjustments you've made.

LTG : )

#5883 5 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

By the way, if like me, one of your VUKs (Balin in my case) is not ejecting the ball consistently regardless of power setting: Check your coil. There are 2 nuts(nylon) and 2 screws that holds the coil assembly together. I've then noticed that the coil sleeve was not installed properly, making the plunger bind a tad on the way up. The sleeve was not protruding at all out of the top of the coil, making the allen screw (on the plunger) stick to the assembly on the way up.
Loosen everything, push the sleeve up and re-fasten the coil.
EDIT: I think my machine (LE 874 of 1500) was assembled on a Friday. So far I have fixed: The MAN drop target assembly fell into the cab, had a tiny LED wire that was not zip-tied and got cut on the playfield rail, coil sleeve was not pushed all the way up on the Balin VUK. I think I'm good now though. What a fun game!

Thanks for this! I've always struggled to figure out why my VUKs were so inconsistent. The coil sleeve was fine but I found my coil stop for the VUK was slightly askew causing inconsistent ball ejects. I didn't realize the bracket was slotted. Now it works 100%.

#5884 5 years ago

Played some more today. This update really helps make me want to play more modes. Great job jjp. Thanks

#5885 5 years ago

This update is awesome!!!!
Finally put some time on it.
So much tighter! Can’t put my finger on what exactly makes it feel so much more orchestrated but it totally does.
Thank you Jack, Ted, Keith and everyone else that helped get TH to 3.0!

#5886 5 years ago

Updated today. First thing I noticed was Smaug’s mouth defaulted to open - and his “lip sync” animation didn’t work right. His mouth would close when speaking. I adjusted his min/max mouth settings and got it to work.

Edit: my note about Smaug’s lights were BS. Checked it against my friend’s Hobbit on older code and it’s the same. My apologies.

#5887 5 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Thanks for this! I've always struggled to figure out why my VUKs were so inconsistent. The coil sleeve was fine but I found my coil stop for the VUK was slightly askew causing inconsistent ball ejects. I didn't realize the bracket was slotted. Now it works 100%.

Yes! It's slotted. Glad it made you look. The intermittent funky ball ejects were driving me nuts! My coil stop was fine but i played with that 2 slots anyways... It's an interesting design.

#5888 5 years ago

I wish I had 8 grand that I had nothing to do better by, this would make a nice companion game to my Lord of the Rings pin. It's a nice looking game, but wow the prices have went up on these things since I bought that LOTR pin back in 2007.

I bought it used, and in mint condition. $4500 out the door, plus $300 to have it shipped.

Times have changed. Those of you who have the game, it looks like it's a nice one.

#5889 5 years ago
Quoted from jlbintn:

I wish I had 8 grand that I had nothing to do better by, this would make a nice companion game to my Lord of the Rings pin. It's a nice looking game, but wow the prices have went up on these things since I bought that LOTR pin back in 2007.
I bought it used, and in mint condition. $4500 out the door, plus $300 to have it shipped.
Times have changed. Those of you who have the game, it looks like it's a nice one.

So, look for a used one?

#5890 5 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

Was able to do the new 3.0 download via my Mac Mini (running most recent iOS) and a new 16GB Sandisk Cruiser Glide flash drive from Walmart. Was also able to do the upload to my THLE via the USB cable and not plug it directly into the open USB port on the main computer.
Took a few tries to get unerbootin to play nicely and load on my Mac Mini.
Had one pop-up after it all the files loaded where I had 3 options. Click “No” “Yes To All” and something else I can’t remember. I clicked “Yes To All” which apparently was the right choice because it all worked out.
If there is anyone close to me (norther NJ) having issues, you’re welcome to come borrow my loaded flash drive.
-Ran

I had v3.0 success with the Sandisc cruser 16gb flash drive as well, also had to unplug the usb dongle inside the game and plug directly into the motherboard.

#5891 5 years ago

After the 3.0 update I made some adjustments in the menu. Just a few minutes later, during Adjustment some coil and game settings both screens went dark. Game was still working, since after pressing the escape button I could start a game, but both screens were dead. I switched the game off and on and both screens worked again. Played a few games, no more screens that went Black.
Differences from 2.99 to 3.0 that I don't like:
At the start of Smaug multiball during a mode or other any other call outs the "MULTIBALL" call out from Gandalf is often not heard.
The overall sound seems to be much "softer". I need to set my standard volume at 22 instead of 18 to hear the same volume.
Call outs from Smaug seem to be even softer than before. Especially the ones that were already low volume or difficult to hear.
The already mentioned "game over Smaug" glitch.
I didn't save my settings so I readjusted everything as best as I could remember. I like clear and loud sound effects and speech, so these setting go way up: but even with these settings up very high (sound FX and speech go up to 15) the sound doesn't match the quality of 2.99. But maybe I need to adjust some other sound settings too. Some help is appreciated on how to accomplish this.

#5892 5 years ago
Quoted from Maurice:

After the 3.0 update I made some adjustments in the menu. Just a few minutes later, during Adjustment some coil and game settings both screens went dark. Game was still working, since after pressing the escape button I could start a game, but both screens were dead. I switched the game off and on and both screens worked again. Played a few games, no more screens that went Black.
Differences from 2.99 to 3.0 that I don't like:
At the start of Smaug multiball during a mode or other any other call outs the "MULTIBALL" call out from Gandalf is often not heard.
The overall sound seems to be much "softer". I need to set my standard volume at 22 instead of 18 to hear the same volume.
Call outs from Smaug seem to be even softer than before. Especially the ones that were already low volume or difficult to hear.
I didn't save my settings so I readjusted everything as best as I could remember. I like clear and loud sound effects and speech, so these setting go way up: but even with these settings up very high (sound FX and speech go up to 15) the sound doesn't match the quality of 2.99. But maybe I need to adjust some other sound settings too. Some help is appreciated on how to accomplish this.

First thing, if everything is working as you like it:

BACK UP YOUR SETTINGS !

sadly now that you have started fresh it will take a bit of time to adjust everything in the game to get where you are happy with it again.

I backed up my settings before the 3.0 total wipe and install, and then reloaded them.

Very few adjustments were needed if any.

My volume is slightly different in areas but nothing I cant slightly adjust.

But yes some volumes are different and could use some adjustment in the code still.

So, I guess, get to work

#5893 5 years ago
Quoted from Maurice:

I need to set my standard volume at 22 instead of 18 to hear the same volume.

Dang, I've got mine set at 30...anything less than that would just be too quiet overall.

#5894 5 years ago

Yea mines at 35-40 with a powered subwoofer.... sounds amazing and like im in the theater lol

#5895 5 years ago
Quoted from Maurice:

Nothing has changed here. The "MULTIBALL" call out is triggered by the Multiball Start video, and it kills all other speech. Also, you should be hearing fewer mode call outs now when Smaug MB is running.

The channel mixer default settings have been changed to bring the speech and FX in balance with the music. Since the gain is lower on the speech and FX, you are able to turn up the master volume to hear the music better.

music: old value=41, new value=41
speech: old value=66, new value=41
fanfare: old value=52, new value=35
fx: old value=52, new value=25

This will be fixed.

--Ted

#5896 5 years ago

If others are having the same issue.

Issue with version 3.0:. Played for a couple hours then left the machine on attract mode for a long while. Came back to the machine and both screens were black, but the play field was blinking normally. Had to power cycle and both screens came back up normally.

As if the motherboard had sent both screens into screensaver sleep.

#5897 5 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Issue with version 3.0:. Played for a couple hours then left the machine on attract mode for a long while. Came back to the machine and both screens were black, but the play field was blinking normally. Had to power cycle and both screens came back up normally.

Ill have to try that and leave it on overnight.

#5898 5 years ago

music: old value=41, new value=41
speech: old value=66, new value=41
fanfare: old value=52, new value=35
fx: old value=52, new value=25

This saved my day. All sounds and music the way I like it. Honestly I don't care about hearing the music better. To me it's all about immersion and what better way to achieve this by increasing sound FX and speech at the right moment. Don't get me wrong: the music is great but I care more about hearing sound FX and speech clearly.

What about the screens going Black? What causes this?

#5899 5 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Interesting this is popping up now. I believe WOZ had a similar thing where because they upgraded the underlying OS to a newer build of Linux, it introduced this type of a bug, and now the game reboots itself if left on for more than 24 hours (if a game is not going on, I believe)

#5900 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Interesting this is popping up now

Yes. I reported it because others have had the same issue. My game was not a super-early build. I think it was made in 2016. I say this because I would assume that my motherboard is not the first gen?

Doesn't really matter though.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
There are 12,956 posts in this topic. You are on page 118 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/118?hl=pathfinder and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.