IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 117 of 260.
#5801 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

So did they get rid of smaug breathing fire over play field at game over? That was so cool and it hasn't happened after updating. Didn't see anything in settings.

I agree was a cool effect,it seems to be gone

#5802 5 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Also the trough VUK takes 3 or 4 tries to eject the ball so that it can be put into play.

Did you make the coil stronger or weaker in Settings - Coils ? If that doesn't help, consider this :

http://www.pinplay.com/5/adjusting_the_ball_trough_on_woz.html

LTG : )

#5803 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

but it doesn't seem to read it on boot. And I feel like I created the USB stick properly

If you used unetbootin to put the 3.0 on the memory stick, then try a different memory stick.

#5804 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

For the ISO/Full install - I have a 64G USB stick - I guess it HAS to be 8GB correct?

Some work.
Try it, if the game cant see it then try a different smaller one.

#5805 5 years ago

Would love to see a video or stream with the new code.

#5806 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Some work.
Try it, if the game cant see it then try a different smaller one.

I created the bootable version 3 on a 16GB stick and it didn't work - using the front USB extension cable behind the coin box. So I removed the extension cable from the back of the motherboard and plugged the USB directly to the back USB port and it worked. So did the 64GB one. So if you guys have a problem getting the USB detected on boot try the back USB slot(s).

#5807 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Did you make the coil stronger or weaker in Settings - Coils ? If that doesn't help, consider this :
http://www.pinplay.com/5/adjusting_the_ball_trough_on_woz.html

I think the default is 16 - and that seems to work best for my machine.

#5808 5 years ago
Quoted from Gibo:

I agree was a cool effect,it seems to be gone

I really dig the pulsing colors on the Smaug flyby - not as much as the fire sweeping the PF though.

#5809 5 years ago
Quoted from tatapolus:

Would love to see a video or stream with the new code.

I'm planning one for Monday night

#5810 5 years ago
Quoted from Gibo:

So did they get rid of smaug breathing fire over play field at game over? That was so cool and it hasn't happened after updating. Didn't see anything in settings.

It was not removed, I think it's just a software bug. Since the 3.00 update a lot of strange things seem to appear.
But I'm not quite sure if I just didn't notice them before the update, or if they are a result of it.
I had only time to play a couple of games yesterday.
Maybe I will do the 3.00 update again and check, If just something went wrong during the full upgrade progress and the issues are gone after a reinstall.
I'll list the strange behaviours below:

- At the end of a game Smaug only sets the playfield on fire when no one is allowed to enter their initials. If, for example, someone reaches a daily highscore, when smaug breathes fire, the lightshow is the same slightly flashy lamps as during entering initials. Also the lights stay this way until the start button is hit again and another game is started.
- The font on the screen near the ring button and down the score, seem a little more cloudy than before the update.
- Also there are small screen glitches near the ring button animation on the screen, depending on the color that the ring is showing at the moment. It's worst, when the ring lights orange (to light Torin).
- The LED's in the bumper area used to flash light blue. Now I have all variations of colors. From red, orange to dark blue. I'm not quite sure if this is a new color coding for bumper progress?
- When the map is completed and the Erebor music is played, at some point the music suddenly stopps. Not sure if It was because the captured ball got hit, or just something else, that quits the music.

Is there someone else who noticed strange things after the last update?

Greetings from Germany
Daniel Lammich

#5811 5 years ago

I haven't played the version previous to 3.0 (the beta one).

With 3.0, I've noticed some sound volume issues when sound clips are playing over the ball lock Smaug sounds? (or vice-versa)

If anything, sounds/feels like Smaug's ball lock sounds are lower volume? When he's grunting, for example?

I really enjoy the new light shows.

#5812 5 years ago

I'm just happy the Gollum Save light is coming on with the frequency it used to be prior to 2.96. Thanks Ted.

I did read on the other forum that Ted says he glitched the Smaug fireball over the playfield at the end of the game.

That's a beautiful scene that I hope would never go away.

Does this mean he will eventually put out another 3.01 patch at some point to fix that?

#5813 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

I'm just happy the Gollum Save light is coming on with the frequency it used to be prior to 2.96. Thanks Ted.
I did read on the other forum that Ted says he glitched the Smaug fireball over the playfield at the end of the game.
That's a beautiful scene that I hope would never go away.
Does this mean he will eventually put out another 3.01 patch at some point to fix that?

Probably. I think this build was to update the drivers and make the code features complete. I think they would patch bugs and the like later

#5814 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Probably. I think this build was to update the drivers and make the code features complete. I think they would patch bugs and the like later

I hope less than 2 years will elapse for a bug fix update to be available.

#5815 5 years ago

Possible 3.0 bug to report.

Updated earlier today at noon played a few games and left the pin on and later around 8pm I went to play a new game and the sound was missing upon pushing start. Restarted the machine and all was fine.

#5816 5 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

Updated earlier today at noon played a few games and left the pin on and later around 8pm I went to play a new game and the sound was missing upon pushing start. Restarted the machine and all was fine.

2.99 sounded better to me - the music was a bit more pronounced and the sound effects sounded more vibrant and loud. The sound 'settings' are he same as before - so not sure what is going on.

#5817 5 years ago

Just played 3.0

Wow! Just Wow!

No more chopping wood. No more boredom.
The game is like no other, I really felt I was a part of the movie.

I saw a couple glitches, and a couple volume adjustments, but nothing major.

It is very clear why JJP games are the best in the world. They may be pricey, but you get more than you pay for, by a huge margine.

I'm so glad I waited for the code, and didnt trade out my game.

I purposely did not install any of the beta patches. I wanted to be amazed.

Ted and team, you didnt let me down.

This game is going nowhere and will stay in my collection for a very long time.

Bring on the delta tweaks, this game is so close to perfection, I cant wait!

#5818 5 years ago

Just played 3.0
Wow! Just Wow!
No more chopping wood. No more boredom.
The game is like no other, I really felt I was a part of the movie.
I saw a couple glitches, and a couple volume adjustments, but nothing major.
It is very clear why JJP games are the best in the world. They may be pricey, but you get more than you pay for, by a huge margine.
I'm so glad I waited for the code, and didnt trade out my game.
I purposely did not install any of the beta patches. I wanted to be amazed.
Ted and team, you didnt let me down.
This game is going nowhere and will stay in my collection for a very long time.
Bring on the delta tweaks, this game is so close to perfection, I cant wait!

I hope so....I played a game the other night and have my game set to 5 balls. I got 2 extra balls and was still on my 1st ball before I played the extra balls and I was bored out of my mind. I still have the original, actually 2nd code update so I'm hoping the new code is worth it as I wish I would have passed on Hobbit and got a DI

#5819 5 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

have my game set to 5 balls

There’s your first problem. Set it to three, max out the back legs and open up the out lanes. Pull the center post if it’s still too easy for you. The game is meant to be played longer though and it’s much more enjoyable with the new code. I’d update it ASAP and play for awhile before making the out lane or center post changes.

#5820 5 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I hope so....I played a game the other night and have my game set to 5 balls. I got 2 extra balls and was still on my 1st ball before I played the extra balls and I was bored out of my mind. I still have the original, actually 2nd code update so I'm hoping the new code is worth it as I wish I would have passed on Hobbit and got a DI

Uh yeah you need to update, bad

#5821 5 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

It sounds like this game doesnt really "grab" you, or at least interest you anymore.

I felt that way before the recent code updates, install 3.0 and see where you're at with it.

Its now a very different game like no other.

However it isnt for everyone.

There are tons of well loved games that just dont "do-it" for me also.

Maybe try an AFMr, MMr or Dialed-In that you mentioned? Those are really popular games also.

I have played Dialed-In extensively. I will play it in the arcade as its fun! But lacks something for me to buy it for my small line-up, you however might see it as the best game for your collection. I also have MM, TAF and ToM sitting on end waiting for sale, as I am very tired of them.

Its all very subjective, same for a lot of games.

#5822 5 years ago

Ok...I've read others post this really bad problem with 3.0, so thought I would report it too. Playing along in Smaug Multi-ball.....the machine just stops dead, black screens and reboots to the green screen.

This is a terrible bug......

Ted, is this in the works to be fixed?

#5823 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

Ok...I've read others post this really bad problem with 3.0, so thought I would report it too. Playing along in Smaug Multi-ball.....the machine just stops dead, black screens and reboots to the green screen.
This is a terrible bug......
Ted, is this in the works to be fixed?

I hope this gets worked out.

I haven't had it happen yet, but will report back if it does.

#5824 5 years ago

Just installed 3.0 and played a few games,and it's great. I really like the new animations and call outs. Will have to get used to not hitting the red button all the time. Like others have said I would like to see the fire over the playfield come back ,that was a great effect. Great job Ted and jjp. Really appreciate the updates and all your hard work.

#5825 5 years ago

I found this blocking the mode ball lock hole to the right of the Smaug Dragon head, anyone know what this fell off of?

20181118_143740 (resized).jpg20181118_143740 (resized).jpg
#5826 5 years ago

I have 2.95 installed on my machine. I see that a 2.96 delta is available as well as a 3.0 full install. Do I need to do the 2.96 before the full install? Thanks

#5827 5 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

I see that a 2.96 delta is available as well as a 3.0 full install. Do I need to do the 2.96 before the full install? Thanks

Please read the instructions on the website when you do the 3.0 full install.

All you'll need to do is a full install of 3.0. No need to do any other updates before hand.

You might take a separate USB stick and back up your settings first, adjustments you made, high scores, etc. After you put 3.0 in, then restore your settings. A full install wipes everything back to factory default for 3.0

#5828 5 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

I found this blocking the mode ball lock hole to the right of the Smaug Dragon head, anyone know what this fell off of?
[quoted image]

Light shield under the ramp. 2nd time this has been posted, didn't know they were so brittle. Taking the ramp off is not easy.

#5829 5 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

Is there a possibility that someone pressed the "mute" button on the coin door?
--Ted

#5830 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

2.99 sounded better to me - the music was a bit more pronounced and the sound effects sounded more vibrant and loud. The sound 'settings' are he same as before - so not sure what is going on.

There are no changes in that area between 2.99 and 3.00. Double check that you don't have a loose sound connection somewhere.
--Ted

#5831 5 years ago

Played a big game today and got into the fire on new code. Wow!!! This new code is amazing. Thanks jjp. Now I really want to get a potc even more.

#5832 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Light shield under the ramp. 2nd time this has been posted, didn't know they were so brittle. Taking the ramp off is not easy.

Thanks, sounds like fun putting it back.

#5833 5 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

I have 2.95 installed on my machine. I see that a 2.96 delta is available as well as a 3.0 full install. Do I need to do the 2.96 before the full install? Thanks

You DO NOT have to install 2.96 first.

3.0 is a full install not an upgrade patch.

Always backup your settings before applying any patch or installation.

#5834 5 years ago

Streaming Hobbit with 3.0 code and direct A/V from the machine tonight! 8 p.m. Eastern: http://www.twitch.tv/buffalopinball

#5835 5 years ago

Opinion needed.

My Hobbit is the LE, so it shipped with white silicone rings (according to the manual).

I'm going through them like M&Ms. I have 2 more that are frayed. I don't play the machine THAT much!?!?

What are you guys' though on going with white RUBBER rings instead????

EDIT: Now that I am thinking about this, since I have no experience with silicone rings, maybe the problem is: my game shipped wit rubber rings, and not silicone ones? I don't think silicone would fray like this...

#5836 5 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Streaming Hobbit with 3.0 code and direct A/V from the machine tonight! 8 p.m. Eastern: http://www.twitch.tv/buffalopinball

Really enjoyed watching your last Hobbit stream. I've watched it multiple times. Looking forward to this as well.

#5837 5 years ago

Thank you! Hobbit is my favorite game to stream solo, there’s just so much to do and experience. Hope to see you in chat later today.

#5838 5 years ago

If I may, I would like to ask for advice from you all in regards to versions of this game. Not the code, but the actual machines. I know Black Arrow is the most recent, but it seems like you can get the gold Smaug editions for considerably less than other ones. Is there a reason for that that I should look out for? Thanks for your help!

#5839 5 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

If I may, I would like to ask for advice from you all in regards to versions of this game. Not the code, but the actual machines. I know Black Arrow is the most recent, but it seems like you can get the gold Smaug editions for considerably less than other ones. Is there a reason for that that I should look out for? Thanks for your help!

It's all cosmetic.

#5840 5 years ago

I will be watching the stream tonight as well! This machine would look great next to my LOTR!

#5841 5 years ago

Hi, I could really use some help, perhaps someone’s run across this issue trying to upgrade to 3.0. Unplugged the USB cable and plugged directly into motherboard. Screenshots attached are what I’m getting when I try to use a 8gb USB drive. When I try to use a 16gb USB, I get the error message “no operating system detected”. I swear I’ve followed the JJP instructions to the letter. Anyone have any tips? My USB sticks are pretty old, but they work so I’m not sure what to try next. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Michael.

02F6B911-0CDB-4A19-A34E-6FF36085F6A8 (resized).jpeg02F6B911-0CDB-4A19-A34E-6FF36085F6A8 (resized).jpegD007EB5B-71B8-464A-BEA2-23846D72CA4C (resized).jpegD007EB5B-71B8-464A-BEA2-23846D72CA4C (resized).jpeg
#5842 5 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

perhaps someone’s run across this issue trying to upgrade to 3.0. Unplugged the USB cable and plugged directly into motherboard.

Directly into the motherboard is fine.

Good news is that version 3.0 is a fresh install. You can retry without causing any issues.

I would bet that's it's your USB stick that's bad. Premature end of file often is a corrupted file.

Get yourself a newer 8GB stick and redo the whole procedure, you'll be fine.

#5843 5 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Opinion needed.
My Hobbit is the LE, so it shipped with white silicone rings (according to the manual).
I'm going through them like M&Ms. I have 2 more that are frayed. I don't play the machine THAT much!?!?
What are you guys' though on going with white RUBBER rings instead????
EDIT: Now that I am thinking about this, since I have no experience with silicone rings, maybe the problem is: my game shipped wit rubber rings, and not silicone ones? I don't think silicone would fray like this...

I think silicone frays a lot.

But for me it usually splits off pretty fast, but its way easy to clean, so I'm the fence about total silicone replacement.

JJP uses STC rubber and a couple silicone rings here and there, like on the drain post.

In some cases they use either black or white rubber for durability performane or increadedbounce issues.

I like STC rubber for the most part and use urethane post sleeves and silicone flipper rubbers.

I'm partial to perfect play flipper rubbers for right now.

#5844 5 years ago

Hi, I could really use some help, perhaps someone’s run across this issue trying to upgrade to 3.0. Unplugged the USB cable and plugged directly into motherboard. Screenshots attached are what I’m getting when I try to use a 8gb USB drive. When I try to use a 16gb USB, I get the error message “no operating system detected”. I swear I’ve followed the JJP instructions to the letter. Anyone have any tips? My USB sticks are pretty old, but they work so I’m not sure what to try next. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Michael.[quoted image][quoted image]

It doesn't like your USB stick.

Try different brand like Kingston 8gb.

#5845 5 years ago

Thanks Michael.[quoted image][quoted image]

My experience: I was unable to install the 3.0 update using a brand new 32GB USB drive, even though I followed JJP's instructions exactly... the game simply would not recognize the flash drive when booting. I then ordered a "SanDisk 8GB Cruzer Force" USB drive from Amazon for about $8, and that drive processed the 3.0 update perfectly without any issues. I made all of my attempts via the USB cable, not the motherboard. I've played a handful of games and confirmed the update has worked for me. I hope this info also helps you!

#5846 5 years ago
Quoted from IceFang:

I've played a handful of games and confirmed the update has worked for me.

With the game turned on, hit the enter button once, look at lower right corner of screen. That will say what version is in your game.

#5847 5 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

Smaug gold is the best one imo.... best armor and art package imo....

#5848 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Smaug gold is the best one imo.... best armor and art package imo....

Smaug SE to be exact lol

#5849 5 years ago

Smaug SE to be exact lol

Its a beautiful pin... and pretty special after the new code. Also are smaugs the cheapest to buy used? From shopping around they all seem to be the same minus the standard.

#5850 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

god I hope not, that was the best part and if so...…...why?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 117 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/117?hl=xpertdba and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.