IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 116 of 260.
#5751 5 years ago

Hobbit 3.0...wow! The lights! So much more light integration after the update. I lost 2 balls just looking around. THANK YOU JJP! I AM A FAN FOR LIFE. I loved the game since I bought it 18 months as go, but had no idea how much more amazing it would become.

#5752 5 years ago

Downloading 3.0 now! What a remarkable string of updates The Hobbit has received these past 6 months. Thanks again JJP!

#5753 5 years ago

If my game is not recognizing the USB stick when I turn it on, will selecting factory reset in the menu do the same thing?

#5754 5 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

If my game is not recognizing the USB stick when I turn it on,

Try inserting it into a USB port on the motherboard.

LTG : )

#5755 5 years ago
Quoted from IceFang:

While following the full install instructions exactly, is anyone else getting a "file X:\syslinux/menu.c32 already exists" prompt? Not knowing exactly what to do, I chose "Yes to All", and it SEEMS to have installed fully on the stick. However, at the very end, I also get a pop-up indicating UNetbootin "might not have installed correctly". I am hesitant to try updating with these unexpected pop-ups, and I'm curious is anyone else is experiencing this.
[quoted image]

I received the same "file X:\syslinux/menu.c32 already exists" message as well (twice, even after a full format of my thumb drive) but did not receive the "might not have installed correctly" message. Have not attempted the install yet.

#5756 5 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

If my game is not recognizing the USB stick when I turn it on, will selecting factory reset in the menu do the same thing?

Select USB backup.
Plug a freshly formatted USB stick to see if it will do a backup.

This does 2 things, it tests your USB stick for compatibility and tests the cable.

If it cant be seen on the cable in the front, trace the cable back to the rear of the computer box, unplug the USB cable, put your drive directly in the same hole that the cable came from.

This should work.

#5757 5 years ago

Still downloading for 6 hours now.

At one point it said 7 weeks to go lol.

900mb to go and it says 4 hours !

#5758 5 years ago

Finally got it updated, had to use rufus instead of unetbootin.

#5759 5 years ago

OMG finally downloaded after 8 1/2 hours.

Extracting with unetbootin now.

#5760 5 years ago

Wow are you on dial up or is JJPs server being bombarded?

#5761 5 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Wow are you on dial up or is JJPs server being bombarded?

Lol internet a little sketchy today.
But...

SUCCESS !!!!!
Backed up all my settings, saved a copy of the folder on my PC just in case.

3.0 in the house !

Select yes to all if the extraction gives you any guf.

Dont click exit unetbootin when its finished, just click the x in the upper right corner of the program.

Stuck it into the USB cable with game off.

Turned on game and waited.

Easy peasy.

However I used tested and confirmed USB sticks dedicated to this task.

Loaded my backup settings...

Now to find time to play

#5762 5 years ago

on the website yet or are they still shopping it by email only?

#5763 5 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

on the website yet or are they still shopping it by email only?

See post #5733

It's on the website as 3.0

5.2gb full iso

No way you're gonna email this.

Direct download.

#5764 5 years ago

Woohoo! Updating my Hobbit.

The Hobbit Updating (resized).jpgThe Hobbit Updating (resized).jpg
#5765 5 years ago

I thought I remember reading that some versions can’t be updated straight 3.0.

I’m running 2.0, can I update right to the Full Install 3.0?

#5766 5 years ago
Quoted from Cam:

I thought I remember reading that some versions can’t be updated straight 3.0.
I’m running 2.0, can I update right to the Full Install 3.0?

This is true on multiple patches, some dont like each other.

But since this erases your SSD and is a complete operating system install, you can always install it over any version as the drive will be erased before installation occurs.

This is not a patch or delta install. Its complete, the whole enchilada.

Back up your settings first, all of your settings will be erased and reset to factory defaults.

#5767 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

This is true on multiple patches, some dont like each other.
But since this erases your SSD and is a complete operating system install, you can always install it over any version as the drive will be erased before installation occurs.
This is not a patch or delta install. Its complete, the whole enchilada.
Back up your settings first, all of your settings will be erased and reset to factory defaults.

Ok awesome, thanks.

One more question. When you back up your settings, is that within the pins hard drive? Is the re-install of settings automatic when you install the 3.0 update?

#5768 5 years ago
Quoted from Cam:

is that within the pins hard drive?

No I think it asks for a USB stick to backup settings. Same for restore settings.

#5769 5 years ago
Quoted from Cam:

Is the re-install of settings automatic when you install the 3.0 update?

No.

You back them up on a USB stick, formatted with nothing else on it. It's in Utilities. After a full install ( I do this for deltas too ) then plug the USB stick back in and go to Utilities and restore them. Remove memory stick, done.

Play game, have fun.

#5770 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No.
You back them up on a USB stick, formatted with nothing else on it. It's in Utilities. After a full install ( I do this for deltas too ) then plug the USB stick back in and go to Utilities and restore them. Remove memory stick, done.
Play game, have fun.

Ok gotcha, thank you!

#5771 5 years ago
Quoted from Cam:

Ok gotcha, thank you!

When restoring settings, follow the screen instructions. Press the start button when it asks you. Otherwise it wont do the restore on later software builds.

#5772 5 years ago

I'm running 2.991, is there any big benefit to upgrading to 3.0 besides those two updated items?

* Changed "Gollum Save" display to prevent showing it on top of Extra Ball
* Updated Operator Manual to 3.4

#5773 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I'm running 2.991, is there any big benefit to upgrading to 3.0 besides those two updated items?
* Changed "Gollum Save" display to prevent showing it on top of Extra Ball
* Updated Operator Manual to 3.4

I don't see why one would settle for incomplete code.

#5774 5 years ago

I don't see why one would settle for incomplete code.

+1.

Rondogg it's really not hard to update, providing you have a USB stick that's more than 4GB. Follow the full install instructions that's on the same page as the version 3.0 download file (it's an ISO file of size 5.17 GB (5,555,417,088 bytes)). Ping back if you have any questions. Cheers.

#5775 5 years ago

Problem with the 3.0...

During smaug multiball, i was in the last stage (when we must shoot the different red targets) and suddenly, game has been completely black, shutdown and start again in 2 seconds.... party ended...

Someone has this problem ?

Yannick

#5776 5 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

+1.
rondogg it's really not hard to update, providing you have a USB stick that's more than 4GB. Follow the full install instructions that's on the same page as the version 3.0 download file (it's an ISO file of size 5.17 GB (5,555,417,088 bytes)). Ping back if you have any questions. Cheers.

Thanks, more concerned with saving my settings. I'll give it a shot in a week or two after everyone sorts it out. Thank you.

#5777 5 years ago

Losing Video on both screens on Hobbit. Reboot tends to bring it back but it has happened multiple times at this point. I've checked and reseated all connections. LTG could you get me pointed down the correct path? Starting to think it may be a video card issue, but not sure how to verify as I can't just swap another video card in to test.

#5778 5 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

LTG could you get me pointed down the correct path?

Wonder if the motherboard bios got messed up ?

#5779 5 years ago

Not sure...Anything I can do beyond checking/reseating? Also, I just did the code update to 3.0, however this was happening at 2.96 as well.

#5780 5 years ago

Hey Loyd...If I submit a support form via the JJP website could you make sure I get a call back? Haven't had much luck with this route in the past.

#5781 5 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

Hey Loyd...If I submit a support form via the JJP website could you make sure I get a call back? Haven't had much luck with this route in the past.

I would call as I received exceptional support form JJP in the past when I called! I had a similar issue and one thing that helped was resetting the motherboard by taking a Flathead screwdriver and touching the correct pins. I am heading to a work event however when I get back I can send you pictures of how to do this if you need it.

#5782 5 years ago

I need some help...

I have tried installing 3.00 with 2 different 32Gb sticks, and on both sticks I have copied it with both unetbootin and rufus with no luck. I have also tried inserting both sticks directly into a USB port on the motherboard to bypass the cable as Lloyd suggested. I have formatted the stick each time as well.

Each time (with the stick plugged in) when I turn the game on it boots with 2.00, then I go into the menu and select USB update, sometimes it shows a message that there is NO file (even though it is on the stick) and other times it show that the "update is in progress" but within 30 seconds it boots with my old 2.00

When using unetbootin, I received "file X:\syslinux/menu.c32 already exists" message and click "yes to all"

The Hobbit Full Install 3.00 [USA] *NEW* is the version I downloaded. I'm currently downloading it again just in case something was funky the first time...

#5783 5 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

Call, if you don't reach Frank, I can put a note on it.

#5784 5 years ago
Quoted from Cam:

I need some help...
I have tried installing 3.00 with 2 different 32Gb sticks, and on both sticks I have copied it with both unetbootin and rufus with no luck. I have also tried inserting both sticks directly into a USB port on the motherboard to bypass the cable as Lloyd suggested. I have formatted the stick each time as well.
Each time (with the stick plugged in) when I turn the game on it boots with 2.00, then I go into the menu and select USB update, sometimes it shows a message that there is NO file (even though it is on the stick) and other times it show that the "update is in progress" but within 30 seconds it boots with my old 2.00
When using unetbootin, I received "file X:\syslinux/menu.c32 already exists" message and click "yes to all"
The Hobbit Full Install 3.00 [USA] *NEW* is the version I downloaded. I'm currently downloading it again just in case something was funky the first time...

If you're downloading with google chrome, try explorer instead. You may not be getting a complete download.

#5785 5 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

If you're downloading with google chrome, try explorer instead. You may not be getting a complete download.

I had trouble burning the USB on my mac, but got it going on windows.

#5786 5 years ago
Quoted from Cam:

I need some help...

Use a 8gb USB stick or a 16.
You DO NOT execute this type of update thru the menu system.

You make a bootable iso image using unetbootin on your flash dtive.

You put it in the game powered off.

Turn on the game.

It either sees the image, or it doesnt.

32gb flash drives are a little big for this operation in my experience.

Kingston 8gb drives always work.

#5787 5 years ago
Quoted from brooklynknight:

I would call as I received exceptional support form JJP in the past when I called! I had a similar issue and one thing that helped was resetting the motherboard by taking a Flathead screwdriver and touching the correct pins. I am heading to a work event however when I get back I can send you pictures of how to do this if you need it.

That would be helpful...Thanks.

I did call and leave a message with someone. Hopefully they call me back at some point.

#5788 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Thanks, more concerned with saving my settings. I'll give it a shot in a week or two after everyone sorts it out. Thank you.

Backing up settings is fast and simple thru the menu system

#5789 5 years ago

Use a 8gb USB stick or a 16.
You DO NOT execute this type of update thru the menu system.
You make a bootable iso image using unetbootin on your flash dtive.
You put it in the game powered off.
Turn on the game.
It either sees the image, or it doesnt.
32gb flash drives are a little big for this operation in my experience.
Kingston 8gb drives always work.

Gotcha, that’s exactly what I did. I guess it didn’t see an image any of the times I tried since it booted with 2.00
I’ll try both sticks with the 2nd DL, otherwise I guess I’m headed to buy a 8gb stick...
And I’ll stop trying with the menu
Thanks

#5790 5 years ago

I did the 2.96 to 3.00 full reinstall last night and played a few games. My game screens also went black well into the first game. I could still flip and hear sounds, but the screens were totally black. I reset the game and played a second game scoring 3.5B and the game didn’t miss a beat. Maybe it was a fluke, but I never had the screens go black running any prior code versions. That said, this new code is fantastic. This game is a keeper and POTC LE is on the way

#5791 5 years ago

Trying to update to 3.0. didn't originally work, so after turning off and on, this screen is loading. USB still plugged in. Hope this isn't a problem.

IMG_20181115_211830669_BURST000_COVER (resized).jpgIMG_20181115_211830669_BURST000_COVER (resized).jpg
#5792 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Trying to update to 3.0. didn't originally work, so after turning off and on, this screen is loading. USB still plugged in. Hope this isn't a problem.

That is how it should work. Turn game off. Plug in USB stick. Turn game on. It loads the full install. When done the screen tells you to unplug the USB stick and then turn game off, wait half a minute, turn the game back on.

Did you try and install in utilities ?

#5793 5 years ago

Looks like it worked!! Thanks Lloyd. I did try update in menu, but it wouldn't work. I turned game off and on and it took. Thanks again. Time to play it.

IMG_20181115_212237819_BURST000_COVER (resized).jpgIMG_20181115_212237819_BURST000_COVER (resized).jpg
#5794 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I did try update in menu, but it wouldn't work.

Delta updates you do in the menu.

Full Install you turn game off, insert USB stick, turn game on, etc. etc.

If in doubt refer to instructions or give me a call.

#5795 5 years ago

So did they get rid of smaug breathing fire over play field at game over? That was so cool and it hasn't happened after updating. Didn't see anything in settings.

#5796 5 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

That would be helpful...Thanks.
I did call and leave a message with someone. Hopefully they call me back at some point.

Trying to locate the picture as I believe Frank Becker (who fucking rocks!!!) texted it to me as I had a out of the box issue with no video and they worked with me for a good amount of time until it was resolved. I will keep looking however I would contact him and ask for the picts for resetting the CPU. It helped me, however in the end we ended up replacing the Mother board, Power supply and monitor. Been working like a champ and with 3.0 installed tonight I love this game and am a fan of JJP as a company.

#5797 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

So did they get rid of smaug breathing fire over play field at game over? That was so cool and it hasn't happened after updating. Didn't see anything in settings.

I have the same question. Also the trough VUK takes 3 or 4 tries to eject the ball so that it can be put into play.

#5798 5 years ago
Quoted from brooklynknight:

Trying to locate the picture as I believe Frank Becker (who fucking rocks!!!) texted it to me as I had a out of the box issue with no video and they worked with me for a good amount of time until it was resolved. I will keep looking however I would contact him and ask for the picts for resetting the CPU. It helped me, however in the end we ended up replacing the Mother board, Power supply and monitor. Been working like a champ and with 3.0 installed tonight I love this game and am a fan of JJP as a company.

I remember the thread and followed it closely. Glad they resolved it for you. Mine has been rock solid since I owned it. Just now starting to slightly annoy me
I appreciate the heads up. I will try and contact him and ask for the instructions.

#5799 5 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

I have the same question. Also the trough VUK takes 3 or 4 tries to eject the ball so that it can be put into play.

I think it has a different ending light show at this point. I did enjoy the other one fwiw

#5800 5 years ago

For the ISO/Full install - I have a 64G USB stick - I guess it HAS to be 8GB correct?

Because I could delta update with the 64G - but it doesn't seem to read it on boot. And I feel like I created the USB stick properly using http://159.203.76.48/th/Hobbit_Manual%203_4%20November%202018.pdf page E-12

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 25.50
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 116 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/116?hl=bigsilverpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.