20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,956 posts in this topic. You are on page 112 of 260.
#5551 5 years ago

Just finished installing the Prancing Pony mod I know the Prancing Pony was in the Lord of the Rings but it's Gandalf's favourite pub and I'm sure Bilbo would have gone there before as well . I also think the gold ring with metal plate for the Lockdown bar is the way to go

IMG20181021000553 (resized).jpgIMG20181021000553 (resized).jpg
#5552 5 years ago

How do get 2.97. On JJP only 2.96
Thanks
Gregc

#5553 5 years ago
Quoted from Gregc:

How do get 2.97. On JJP only 2.96
Thanks
Gregc

One option is to wait until they post it won’t be long I don’t think

#5554 5 years ago

I also have the same issue where the spider isn't dropping quite quick enough before the windlance is shot out. It used to drop right before the ball came out and it was perfectly fine, but now doesn't drop fast enough and the ball ends up hitting the spider.

Someone mentioned bending the beast mechanism forward or backward a bit. Is this the only fix, and is it effective? I'm a little leery about bending anything. Is there any other setting to make windlance delay a bit longer, or the mech to drop quicker?

#5555 5 years ago

Thanks, I thought based on other posts it was available.
Gregc

#5556 5 years ago

Thanks for the idea on the Throne of Erebor. 3D print file is up on Thingiverse. Just scale up 140%. Turned out well.

72FDA4F0-5009-4973-802E-EDD9C2DEE794 (resized).jpeg72FDA4F0-5009-4973-802E-EDD9C2DEE794 (resized).jpeg
#5557 5 years ago

You paint that yourself VillaThrills? Looks great

#5558 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

I also have the same issue where the spider isn't dropping quite quick enough before the windlance is shot out. It used to drop right before the ball came out and it was perfectly fine, but now doesn't drop fast enough and the ball ends up hitting the spider.
Someone mentioned bending the beast mechanism forward or backward a bit. Is this the only fix, and is it effective? I'm a little leery about bending anything. Is there any other setting to make windlance delay a bit longer, or the mech to drop quicker?

I can confirm this is an issue with the recent update, as I’ve been playing my game continuously for a couple weeks, and happened to progressively test 2.95, 2.96 and 2.97 with quite a few plays on each. The spider isn’t dropping quite fast enough, and it hits -every- time it goes to the kickback in Flies & Spiders and Save Kili

Also - has anyone adjusted the speakers or the treble/bass mix? I am suddenly getting a lot of scratchiness from my right BB speaker and I wonder if it’s trying to hard to output bass (it could be distortion from the sound mix but I have it on stock settings)

#5559 5 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

Thanks for the idea on the Throne of Erebor. 3D print file is up on Thingiverse. Just scale up 140%. Turned out well.[quoted image]

GREAT idea!! I am going to do that today.

#5560 5 years ago
Quoted from gorgar007:

You paint that yourself VillaThrills? Looks great

Yep, pretty easy actually. Love how it turned out. Just some craft paint and acrylic spray to seal it. Have the LED for it but the family decided they didn’t need it lit up.

#5561 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I can confirm this is an issue with the recent update, as I’ve been playing my game continuously for a couple weeks, and happened to progressively test 2.95, 2.96 and 2.97 with quite a few plays on each. The spider isn’t dropping quite fast enough, and it hits -every- time it goes to the kickback in Flies & Spiders and Save Kili
Also - has anyone adjusted the speakers or the treble/bass mix? I am suddenly getting a lot of scratchiness from my right BB speaker and I wonder if it’s trying to hard to output bass (it could be distortion from the sound mix but I have it on stock settings)

Is it something JJ is going to fix in the next update? Have they confirmed it is an issue?

Thanks,

RW

#5562 5 years ago

Also, I have been noticing really strange behavior as it relates to the Precioussss ball save green light at the right outlane. It used to be given as a mystery award much more frequently before the 2.96 update, at least that was my theory. Tonight I took the glass off and starting priming the Mystery light and seeing how frequently Precioussss gets rewarded when Mystery award light is hit, and it took me about 25 times before it finally came up. Was this an intentional change in the newest software update? I have not been able to get a score over 1.5 m since the new update and I think most of it stems from this one change. All my top 10 scores before the update were well over 2.5 m.

Can somebody else confirm this behavior I am seeing? I would think the community would want to keep it the old way, as the Precioussss save is quite an enjoyable reward.

#5563 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

Is it something JJ is going to fix in the next update? Have they confirmed it is an issue?
Thanks,
RW

Not confirmed yet as far as I’m aware. (You mean the spider issue right?). Ted May chime in but this is definitely repeatable so it’s a clear bug

#5564 5 years ago

Lighted

20181021_102240 (resized).jpg20181021_102240 (resized).jpg

20181021_102804 (resized).jpg20181021_102804 (resized).jpg
#5565 5 years ago
Quoted from Slapfighter:

Lighted
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Very nice!! I just printed this last night as well. What material did you use ? And did you drill out the area where the light is?

I am unsure how the light is shining through like that. White PLA? I only have black PLA right now which is obviously not going to work.

#5566 5 years ago
Quoted from Slapfighter:

Lighted
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Awesome, I hope I can get a completed mod as my crafting skills suck

#5567 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Awesome, I hope I can get a completed mod as my crafting skills suck

Me too. I saw one for sale on eBay, but I didn’t grab it before it sold.

#5568 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

Also, I have been noticing really strange behavior as it relates to the Precioussss ball save green light at the right outlane. It used to be given as a mystery award much more frequently before the 2.96 update, at least that was my theory. Tonight I took the glass off and starting priming the Mystery light and seeing how frequently Precioussss gets rewarded when Mystery award light is hit, and it took me about 25 times before it finally came up. Was this an intentional change in the newest software update? I have not been able to get a score over 1.5 m since the new update and I think most of it stems from this one change. All my top 10 scores before the update were well over 2.5 m.
Can somebody else confirm this behavior I am seeing? I would think the community would want to keep it the old way, as the Precioussss save is quite an enjoyable reward.

Since no one else seems concerned with this change, I was wondering if there is a way to set how often a particular mystery award is given out in the game menus? Not having the Precioussss light very often is really annoying to me now and shortens the game considerably. I'm still not convinced this was a intended change for the good in 2.96.

#5569 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

Since no one else seems concerned with this change, I was wondering if there is a way to set how often a particular mystery award is given out in the game menus? Not having the Precioussss light very often is really annoying to me now and shortens the game considerably. I'm still not convinced this was a intended change for the good in 2.96.

It seemed like I used to get it all the time too. I just don't have any evidence. Just seems a LOT less. It was an awesome reward that really felt good to get when that target got smaller and smaller.

#5570 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

It seemed like I used to get it all the time too. I just don't have any evidence. Just seems a LOT less. It was an awesome reward that really felt good to get when that target got smaller and smaller.

I just hate that can't get anywhere close to progressing through the game like before, nor touch my prior top 10 scores. It is severely limiting how much I can get done in my Hobbit 'journey', which is frustrating. I'm surprised others on the forum aren't experiencing the same frustration.

#5571 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

I just hate that can't get anywhere close to progressing through the game like before, nor touch my prior top 10 scores. It is severely limiting how much I can get done in my Hobbit 'journey', which is frustrating. I'm surprised others on the forum aren't experiencing the same frustration.

I just noticed this the other day, it was a lot easier to get the precious ball save previously. I kept waiting for it to light and only had it fire once. Haven’t been able to get to Battle of Five Armies since. Don’t mind if it is a setting somewhere but I would agree that it is certainly noticeable in a negative way.

#5572 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Very nice!! I just printed this last night as well. What material did you use ? And did you drill out the area where the light is?
I am unsure how the light is shining through like that. White PLA? I only have black PLA right now which is obviously not going to work.

Damn it.. I came downstairs to see the completed throne. And the sliced file has something in it that’s causing the printer to “wait for user input”, and it wrecked the print. Arrrgh...

#5573 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

Also, I have been noticing really strange behavior as it relates to the Precioussss ball save green light at the right outlane. It used to be given as a mystery award much more frequently before the 2.96 update, at least that was my theory. Tonight I took the glass off and starting priming the Mystery light and seeing how frequently Precioussss gets rewarded when Mystery award light is hit, and it took me about 25 times before it finally came up.

There are two ways to light "Gollum Save": completing the inlanes, and via Mystery award.

A change was made in 2.95 to avoid lighting "Gollum Save" when it is not available to use - the most common case being during any multiball. The motivation for the change was to make the inlane completion behavior a little more understandable. Previously, completing the inlanes for "Gollum Save" during multiball would qualify the feature, but it wouldn't be lit until multiball ended. I didn't think this one all the way through - it's much more likely that the inlanes will get completed with multiple balls in play. I will revisit this.

For completeness, here are rules on completing the inlanes ("Light Mystery" lamps). None of this will happen during Arkenstone Modes or "There and Back Again".

- if "Mystery" isn't lit, light Mystery (lamps = blue)
- else, if Thorin isn't lit for "Collect Dwarf", light Thorin (lamps = orange)
[but not if Thorin hasn't been collected]
- else, if Windlance isn't lit, light Windlance (lamps = red)
[but not during any multiball]
- else, if "Gollum Save" isn't lit, light Gollum (lamps = green)

--Ted

#5574 5 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

There are two ways to light "Gollum Save": completing the inlanes, and via Mystery award.
A change was made in 2.95 to avoid lighting "Gollum Save" when it is not available to use - the most common case being during any multiball. The motivation for the change was to make the inlane completion behavior a little more understandable. Previously, completing the inlanes for "Gollum Save" during multiball would qualify the feature, but it wouldn't be lit until multiball ended. I didn't think this one all the way through - it's much more likely that the inlanes will get completed with multiple balls in play. I will revisit this.
For completeness, here are rules on completing the inlanes ("Light Mystery" lamps). None of this will happen during Arkenstone Modes or "There and Back Again".

- if "Mystery" isn't lit, light Mystery (lamps = blue)
- else, if Thorin isn't lit for "Collect Dwarf", light Thorin (lamps = orange)
[but not if Thorin hasn't been collected]
- else, if Windlance isn't lit, light Windlance (lamps = red)
- else, if "Gollum Save" isn't lit, light Gollum (lamps = green)

--Ted

I definitely would appreciate this being looked at. The Gollum Save behavior in the previous version was much more fun and fair. Now, it's much more difficult to progress in the game and you hardly ever even get the chance at the blue Gollum Save meter, because it's off practically all the time.

Thanks - RW

#5575 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

The Gollum Save behavior in the previous version was much more fun and fair.

Maybe a setting for this would be best. Easy, Medium and Hard type-of-thing.

#5576 5 years ago

Apologies as this was probably addressed before but when is the 2.97 to be available for download on JJP"s website? I could've sworn it was to be after this past weekend?

Great to see JJP still making updates to these games!

#5577 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

but when is the 2.97 to be available for download on JJP"s website?

I believe when it's worked on, bug free, and I think when it's released it will be 3.0 ?

LTG : )

#5578 5 years ago

If I remember correctly, to light Gollum ball save, you have to advance through the Inlane awards by repeatedly going through the flipper inlanes until they turn solid green before collecting an award. The Inlane awards works as follows.

1) Flipper inlanes start flashing blue. Go down an inlane and the color on that lane goes solid.
2) Go down the other flashing inlane lights the Mystery target (the first award). The inlanes change color to match the next award and start flashing again.
3) After you light Gollum the inlanes go dark until you collect an award.
4) When you collect an award the inlanes reset to flashing the color of the lowest unlit award.

You can tell where you're at in the cycle by watching the inlane colors.

#5579 5 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

If I remember correctly, to light Gollum ball save, you have to advance through the Mystery awards by repeatedly going through the flipper inlanes until they turn green before hitting the Mystery target.

I summarized the behavior in my original post. The inlanes light these items, in order: Mystery, Thorin, Windlance, Gollum. The first one in the list that is NOT lit will light. (Thus, if you collect Mystery before lighting Gollum, the inlanes will re-light Mystery. Also note that the Mystery target always gives a random award.)
--Ted

#5580 5 years ago

I noticed that the ring button cash in for points is happening more often now - how is it determined when to light the ring purple for added points?

#5581 5 years ago

I summarized the behavior in my original post. The inlanes light these items, in order: Mystery, Thorin, Windlance, Gollum. The first one in the list that is NOT lit will light. (Thus, if you collect Mystery before lighting Gollum, the inlanes will re-light Mystery. Also note that the Mystery target always gives a random award.)
--Ted

Thanks for the corrections Ted. I edited my post.

So, let's say you have Mystery, Thorin and Windlance lit. If you collect Thorin the inlanes will reset back to lighting Thorin on next completion?

#5582 5 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Thanks for the corrections Ted. I edited my post.
So, let's say you have Mystery, Thorin and Windlance lit. If you collect Thorin the inlanes will reset back to lighting Thorin on next completion?

That is correct. In your scenario, the Light Mystery lamps will be green before you collect Thorin, then change to orange.
--Ted

#5583 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Will adjusting the switch also allow you to raise or lower the rollover target on the PF?

If I remember right, the answer is "yes, to an extent." The button I had with the "rod" that was too short simply couldn't reach far enough to trigger the switch. The button itself needed to be replaced, and then yes, I was able to adjust it to the proper sensitivity.

#5584 5 years ago

Epic game! Played all three wizard modes, killed Smaug and set new personal best for Beasts killed, Modes played, and modes won. And then Smaug said, "Nice titles." Perfect touch to a great game. People who don't enjoy this for the epic adventure that it is are just missing out.

#5585 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Epic game! Played all three wizard modes, killed Smaug and set new personal best for Beasts killed, Modes played, and modes won. And then Smaug said, "Nice titles." Perfect touch to a great game. People who don't enjoy this for the epic adventure that it is are just missing out.

Doesn’t he say “wonderful titles...” ? Or something like that? Either way, epic game!

#5586 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Doesn’t he say “wonderful titles...” ? Or something like that? Either way, epic game!

Yeah, I think you are right. Either way, it surprised the hell out of me and my kids. This game has the greatest callouts. I always love hearing, "out of the frying pan...and INTO THE FIRE!"

#5587 5 years ago

I have an opportunity to get a Black Arrow for a good price but really like the Smaug or regular LE trim better. I know it's a matter of taste but is Black Arrow more sought after and rarer of the bunch?

#5588 5 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

I have an opportunity to get a Black Arrow for a good price but really like the Smaug or regular LE trim better. I know it's a matter of taste but is Black Arrow more sought after and rarer of the bunch?

I think the Smaug and LE editions would be considered more valuable as they have a far superior powder coat on the games armour and legs versus the Black Arrow addition. That's just my opinion though, a lot may be personal preference. However, I think the LE and Smaug editions have one of the nicest factory powder coats ever applied to a pin.

There was a number or small hardware fixes for earlier Smaug and LE editions, if those fixes have not been made I can see it affecting the games price a little. Black Arrows were made well after the games release and will come with all of the hardware fixes installed out of the box. After maybe 6 months or so after release all Smaug and LE's had the hardware fixes applied as well.

The fixes that JJP offered are

1. Updated ramp flaps. This is the easiest way to tell if a game has all of the fixes applied as anyone who took the time to do the update likely did the others. If the ramp flaps are black then they are the newer ones, grey then they are the older ones that can curl upwards over time. This is the most complex and time consuming (maybe 2-3 hours) update of the 4 I listed here.

2. Clear molded plastic inserts in front of beast mechs, prevents balls from getting stuck.

3. Updated springs for all drop targets, earlier ones were prone to breaking.

4. Post on far left habit rail or ideally the newer updated rail installed

#5589 5 years ago

In my opinion, I chose LE ove Black Arrow for the armor and cabinet art. I think the LE is the best overall aesthetic package. I prefer the red dragon, bronze armor, and cabinet art over the Smaug. But, that said, art is subjective. The game is the same for all...and is amazing! Get which one you like. Fyi, my LE had all the factory fixes and I bought NIB. I think it was mainly the Smaug's that needed them because they were first.

#5590 5 years ago

Added the gold captive ball. Nice touch. We will see how long they look nice and shiny.

2FDA5837-75A6-4E43-9303-370CEEBF20BD (resized).jpeg2FDA5837-75A6-4E43-9303-370CEEBF20BD (resized).jpeg
#5591 5 years ago

--Ted

So now I'm even more confused than before. So to get the Gollum, you have to light Mystery, Thorin and Windlance without actually collecting them, otherwise it starts all over from scratch?

Btw, I had 2 friends over tonight and the three of us played 5 games each and the Gollum light only came on a grand total of twice across the 15 games. Before the upgrade, it came on way more than this and helped extend games. The game plays extremely hard now, in my honest opinion.

#5592 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

So now I'm even more confused than before. So to get the Gollum, you have to light Mystery, Thorin and Windlance without actually collecting them, otherwise it starts all over from scratch?

Almost correct. It doesn't "start over from scratch", but the inlanes light the lowest one that is not lit. So, if you light Mystery, Thorin, and Windlance, then collect Mystery, Mystery will be the next one lit and after that Gollum will light.

It has always been that way. The difference in 2.95/2.96/2.97 is that Thorin, Windlance, and Gollum will not light if they can't be collected at that instant. (For Windlance and Gollum, they can't be collected during any multiball.)

Anyway, I changed it back to the previous behavior, so you can rest easy now.
--Ted

#5593 5 years ago

Added the gold captive ball. Nice touch. We will see how long they look nice and shiny.[quoted image]

That does look nice, especially for the Smaug edition. Might have to go for it...

#5594 5 years ago

Almost correct. It doesn't "start over from scratch", but the inlanes light the lowest one that is not lit. So, if you light Mystery, Thorin, and Windlance, then collect Mystery, Mystery will be the next one lit and after that Gollum will light.
It has always been that way. The difference in 2.95/2.96/2.97 is that Thorin, Windlance, and Gollum will not light if they can't be collected at that instant. (For Windlance and Gollum, they can't be collected during any multiball.)
Anyway, I changed it back to the previous behavior, so you can rest easy now.
--Ted

Thanks so much for the explanation and changing it back to previous behavior. I miss my Gollum. Loved the way the meter blue target got smaller and smaller each attempt. Just haven't seen it much since the update. Looking forward to the next update.

#5595 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think the LE and Smaug editions have one of the nicest factory powder coats ever applied to a pin

I agree , the powder coating especially on the le is fantastic , sometimes I just find myself rubbing my fingers along it in between balls thinking how nice is this.

#5596 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I agree , the powder coating especially on the le is fantastic , sometimes I just find myself rubbing my fingers along it in between balls thinking how nice is this.

TMI dude

#5597 5 years ago

Added the gold captive ball. Nice touch. We will see how long they look nice and shiny.[quoted image]

I've had mine for a year ... maybe 500 plays or so and not a mark on them. I do touch them up with some of the wax I put on the playfield to keep the shine going whenever I clean up the playfield. I agree that it is a nice touch.

#5598 5 years ago

I had to look up what TMI meant (PS I hate abbreviations) if I'm right that means to much information , is that because I said balls and rubbing in the same sentence . lucky I didn't mention how the game spurts the balls out or swallows them.

#5599 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I had to look up what TMI meant (PS I hate abbreviations) if I'm right that means to much information , is that because I said balls and rubbing in the same sentence . lucky I didn't mention how the game spurts the balls out or swallows them.

WAY too much information! Haha

#5600 5 years ago

Can someone provide me where I can find how to add a sub woofer to a Hobbit

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
There are 12,956 posts in this topic. You are on page 112 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/112?hl=xpertdba and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.