IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 111 of 260.
#5501 5 years ago

I’m actually quite surprised Hobbit has lost some value. It may not be jam packed with toys/gimmicks but it is overflowing with quality, reliability and things to accomplish during each game. And the code keeps getting better!
So proud to call it my first NIB and my family’s favorite.

#5502 5 years ago
Quoted from Jpp718:

So NIB is still going to run you 8500$

I haven't seen too many Black Arrow games for sale used - most of them are the Smaug LE, FWIW. I like that one,, and it's obviously the same game, but Black Arrow does have some cool artwork, and the black balls...

#5503 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Yet Dialed In has been forgotten about.

IMG_20181016_100629 (resized).jpgIMG_20181016_100629 (resized).jpg
#5504 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Yet Dialed In has been forgotten about.

Thankfully more code for Dialed In is coming JJP just did a live stream today showing off new Dialed In code that will be shown off at Expo. Looks pretty cool! To be fair Dialed In's code had been much more polished and complete compared to pre Hobbit 2.96 code, at least I always thought so. As a Hobbit and Dialed In owner it's great knowing updates are coming soon both.

Dialed In JJP Live Twitch stream from earlier today.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/323121671

#5505 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

Ok, so can someone tell me.
How many waves are there in the mini-Wizard modes to actually defeat them? I get Into the Fire on most games, and I fight through 3 or 4 waves, but usually I can't get past that 4th wave. Is that the last one, and you defeat it if you get through it? Or is there a 5th or 6th wave (or even more)?
Same for Barrel Escape and BOTFA....is there someplace that documents exactly what must be done to fully complete those?
Thanks - Robert

Starting at 45 mins of this video we play a game where we get to all the mini wizards. I don’t think we complete any of them, but it may help you with the rules as we talk them out as we play.

Then at 2 hours 30 mins I start an Into the Fire and complete it. There you can answer your questions at least for that one.

#5506 5 years ago

Thanks....I'll watch the video when I get some time. Main question though is: Is there no place where it's documented how to defeat each of the mini-Wizard modes and how many waves each one entail? I was disappointed when I got my Owners Manual and how large it was to find out 95% of it was schematics and only a tiny fraction of the game play was actually documented. I would hope (once the final code is dropped) that they would fully document how to progress through different parts of the game (I know there's a flowchart, and there are colors directing you to individual shots, and callouts), but it would be nice to know some of these more advanced game flow questions.

#5507 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

Thanks....I'll watch the video when I get some time. Main question though is: Is there no place where it's documented how to defeat each of the mini-Wizard modes and how many waves each one entail? I was disappointed when I got my Owners Manual and how large it was to find out 95% of it was schematics and only a tiny fraction of the game play was actually documented. I would hope (once the final code is dropped) that they would fully document how to progress through different parts of the game (I know there's a flowchart, and there are colors directing you to individual shots, and callouts), but it would be nice to know some of these more advanced game flow questions.

Unfortunately it’s on us the enthusiasts to come up with the detailed rule sheets and walkthroughs. It’s rare that a manufacturer will produce something like that. And on a detailed game like this, extremely unlikely. Plus with code updates whatever is put together will be useless after a few updates.

And I’d be shocked if they released something even after the game is complete.

#5508 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Unfortunately it’s on us the enthusiasts to come up with the detailed rule sheets and walkthroughs. It’s rare that a manufacturer will produce something like that. And on a detailed game like this, extremely unlikely. Plus with code updates whatever is put together will be useless after a few updates.

Agree 100 percent. This is why I like those PAPA How To videos - they will step you through the rules and attempt to get as far as they can - explaining the rules as they go. There are 32? modes in the hobbit (each with different rules of course), several multiballs like Smaug and Beast Frenzy, three mini wizard modes with a final wizard mode (each with several phases to complete). It is a ton of modes and rules. That is quite a lot to document. Hell of a game to be honest.

#5509 5 years ago

Also I love how you play the Hobbit. There are 3 mini wizard modes to progress through the story. You get to fight Smaug and beasts and collect the dwarves along the way. The cool part is that the 'modes' can be played in any order (you just have to hit/unlock the qualifiers first). And you can't replay a mode in a game until all are done. This allows the game to be different one to the next. Good game.

#5510 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Agree 100 percent. This is why I like those PAPA How To videos - they will step you through the rules and attempt to get as far as they can - explaining the rules as they go. There are 32? modes in the hobbit (each with different rules of course), several multiballs like Smaug and Beast Frenzy, three mini wizard modes with a final wizard mode (each with several phases to complete). It is a ton of modes and rules. That is quite a lot to document. Hell of a game to be honest.

Yeah if I owned one of these I would be happy to record a walkthrough, but alas no game at home. Maybe down the road I’ll scoop one up.

#5511 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah if I owned one of these I would be happy to record a walkthrough, but alas no game at home. Maybe down the road I’ll scoop one up.

To complete each mode too?

EDIT: I think if you start and COMPLETE each mode you should get a 1 million point bonus.

#5512 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

To complete each mode too?
EDIT: I think if you start and COMPLETE each mode you should get a 1 million point bonus.

That would be super tough, i guess I would have one session that would cover all modes only. Should I not get to the end of the mode, I would just talk over what was left to complete it, then play another one to keep things moving.

#5513 5 years ago

Adding another video to the pile for reference material, I got to Five Armies last night on the 2.96 code. Didn't complete any of the modes unfortunately but I've found it's good to have a spotter for these modes to call out the things you need to do during them.

Link should take you right to the start of that game: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/323208946?t=01h51m35s

#5514 5 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Adding another video to the pile for reference material, I got to Five Armies last night on the 2.96 code. Didn't complete any of the modes unfortunately but I've found it's good to have a spotter for these modes to call out the things you need to do during them.
Link should take you right to the start of that game: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/323208946?t=01h51m35s

The added call outs in the 2.97 build are great - but yeah a spotter is still nice to have.

I hear several new custom callouts from Gandalf. I wonder if JJP went back to the voice actor for some more content?

#5515 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

The added call outs in the 2.97 build are great - but yeah a spotter is still nice to have.
I hear several new custom callouts from Gandalf. I wonder if JJP went back to the voice actor for some more content?

I am pretty sure there are also new callouts pulled from the movie too. The Goblin king maybe? I forget what I was playing last night when I heard them. And there are definitely some new scenes from the movie I didn’t notice before.

#5516 5 years ago

So I'm having an issue one one of the "LOCK" rollovers. One of them responds in test mode but the ball isn't triggering it when it rolls over. Would this mean that it's too high above the table? What would be the best way to adjust it? Without the ability to spell lock reaching Smaug MB and wizard modes is...well impossible, lol.

Thank you!

#5517 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

One of them responds in test mode but the ball isn't triggering it when it rolls over. Would this mean that it's too high above the table? What would be the best way to adjust it?

Power off. Adjust the leaf blade switch below the playfield. Long one just resting on the plastic rod coming down from the roll over, bottom one far enough away so vibration doesn't set it off but the slightest ball hit does.

It might take some tweaking, but you should be able to adjust it to where you like it.

LTG : )

#5518 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Power off. Adjust the leaf blade switch below the playfield. Long one just resting on the plastic rod coming down from the roll over, bottom one far enough away so vibration doesn't set it off but the slightest ball hit does.
It might take some tweaking, but you should be able to adjust it to where you like it.

Thank Lloyd!

#5519 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

One more thought in case that doesn't work out right - I had one button that actually had to be replaced - the clear plastic "rod" (not sure what to call it) that sticks downward from the center of the button was just slightly shorter than the other 3. It could be triggered by pushing it with the finger, but a ball rolling over it was just not enough to make that happen.

#5520 5 years ago
Quoted from elf70:

One more thought in case that doesn't work out right - I had one button that actually had to be replaced - the clear plastic "rod" (not sure what to call it) that sticks downward from the center of the button was just slightly shorter than the other 3. It could be triggered by pushing it with the finger, but a ball rolling over it was just not enough to make that happen.

Thanks for the tip! I'll make sure to check that as well.

#5521 5 years ago
Quoted from elf70:

Will adjusting the switch also allow you to raise or lower the rollover target on the PF?

#5522 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Will adjusting the switch also allow you to raise or lower the rollover target on the PF?

Yes.

#5523 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

It sounds like Quinton Kappel may have come back for more callouts based on Ted's recent reply, quoted below, in another thread. Don't know for sure. Either way it's awesome that more callouts have been added. Same goes for David Thiel as I'm not sure if the Super Spinner music had already been created or if that was recently created by him.

I think The Hobbit with 3.0 will be the game owners had imagined it would be one day. Hats off to JJP for delivering and for all of the hard work on the games code. To see pretty much all customer concerns about the games code not only addressed but then have even more added is very impressive. It's treatment like this that will keep me buying JJP pins for years to come.

"Let me extend the thanks of the entire team for all the enthusiastic comments.

I also need to express my gratitude to David Thiel, Jean-Paul de Win, and Quinton Kappel for their efforts above and beyond the original scope of the project.

--Ted"

#5524 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

That would be super tough, i guess I would have one session that would cover all modes only. Should I not get to the end of the mode, I would just talk over what was left to complete it, then play another one to keep things moving.

I think Ted also wanted this game to be an adventure of discovery for the players. The feeder mode system is well thought out and completing modes based on where you are on the map? This is some next level stuff and more complicated than any game ever, if you want to go that deep.

#5525 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I think Ted also wanted this game to be an adventure of discovery for the players. The feeder mode system is well thought out and completing modes based on where you are on the map? This is some next level stuff and more complicated than any game ever, if you want to go that deep.

Just got done with a very frustrating game where I drained almost immediately on Smaug MB, took forever to hit the hole to start into the fire, blew that after Stage 1, and STILL had fun.

#5526 5 years ago

Fixed the rollover issue. Thanks again guys for the tips. I ended up removing the rollover to adjust the leaf switch below it.

I played some games on 2.97 this morning and really enjoyed it. There's definitely a lot of polish in the update and some cool additions. I noticed a few new Smaug callouts during Smaug multiball which helps make the mode feel more immersive and fun. I also noticed that the music for Feast Frenzy seems toned down a bit, this is a welcomed change as it always seemed to loud to the point of being annoying. Overall very cool stuff, enjoying the other new callouts as well.

I may have found a bug with 2.97. After playing Smaug MB i started the mode "Flashback" that was from the time when Smaug terrorized Laketown years before the films. In earlier code I thought Smaug started moving around almost immediately when the mode starts. When I played the mode today I made a few shots but he never moved once. I ended up draining during the mode so not sure if Smaug starts to move around later in the mode. I got to the point in the mode where you load the Windlance but Smaug still hadn't moved yet. On my next ball I started locking balls again and Smaug moved so I can verify it's not a hardware issue.

Here's the scene the mode is based off of.

#5527 5 years ago

How do i change my hobbies from 5 balls to 3 balls. Thanks

#5528 5 years ago

Ted I have a bug (sort of) - when Smaug MB starts sometime Smaug will only do a qtr turn and not a half turn to face the player. Later in the game it will have full motion left to right and so I know that Smaug isn't getting caught on something. Just wanted to pass it along.

#5529 5 years ago
Quoted from lukewells:

7) Lights crash if you perform a GI test
After a GI test, playfield lamps will not work at all until the game is power cycled. This is of course a minor issue for software.

Hi - wondering if you discovered the cause of the "Playfield Freeze". I recently obtained a Hobbit and am having the same issue.

Thanks!

Jon

#5530 5 years ago

Hello everybody,

I am proud and so happy to say I finally got my 1st modern pinball machine at home:The Hobbit LE I bought it from a guy who was the 1st owner, it's pretty like new imo!
This game is sooo perfect for a home use with the amazing soundtrack (thanks to my favorite group Two Steps from Hell) and the stunning animations. I felt in love with the machine when I tried it at the Pintastic 2018 but I know I would enjoy it more at home. In fact, I love all JJP machines to be honnest but I think Hobbit was THE machine to start with and considering I have 2 kids who will enjoy it too.

I am happy to see there's a great community here and I already read a lot of your posts. I ordered Cliffy's protector's because this was a mod that I found quickly to be a MUST have (despite the not easy procedure to install them but I'll take my time).

I have 3 questions actually :
1) Do you have a trick to make the metal ramps shine like new (without having to remove the thing if possible lol). There's a lot of traces caused by the ball travelling.

2) The guy before me set the game at 5 balls, and put a lot of settings on easy. I reset those settings to default (medium), removed the center post, and opened the 2 outlane entries. Now, I would like to reset the "recent standards audits" because it's exactly the same numbers displayed compared to all time stats..
So that would give me stats since I have the machine in RECENT and total stats in the 2nd column. Is it possible to do this and is it a good idea?

3) Just curious, what are your "must have" mods for this machine? There's already gold coins overs the flips and a nice sword for the plunger. I was thinking to get "green Convulux plastic protectors" and the "gold ring with the metal plate" for the lockbar button.

Thanks guys

#5531 5 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

I’m actually quite surprised Hobbit has lost some value. It may not be jam packed with toys/gimmicks but it is overflowing with quality, reliability and things to accomplish during each game. And the code keeps getting better!
So proud to call it my first NIB and my family’s favorite.

I could not have said it best myself as I just wrapped up a game and every time I walk away wanting more and loving it. I am able to play it differently every time!

#5532 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisLIX:

Hello everybody,
I am proud and so happy to say I finally got my 1st modern pinball machine at home:The Hobbit LE I bought it from a guy who was the 1st owner, it's pretty like new imo!
This game is sooo perfect for a home use with the amazing soundtrack (thanks to my favorite group Two Steps from Hell) and the stunning animations. I felt in love with the machine when I tried it at the Pintastic 2018 but I know I would enjoy it more at home. In fact, I love all JJP machines to be honnest but I think Hobbit was THE machine to start with and considering I have 2 kids who will enjoy it too.
I am happy to see there's a great community here and I already read a lot of your posts. I ordered Cliffy's protector's because this was a mod that I found quickly to be a MUST have (despite the not easy procedure to install them but I'll take my time).
I have 3 questions actually :
1) Do you have a trick to make the metal ramps shine like new (without having to remove the thing if possible lol). There's a lot of traces caused by the ball travelling.
2) The guy before me set the game at 5 balls, and put a lot of settings on easy. I reset those settings to default (medium), removed the center post, and opened the 2 outlane entries. Now, I would like to reset the "recent standards audits" because it's exactly the same numbers displayed compared to all time stats..
So that would give me stats since I have the machine in RECENT and total stats in the 2nd column. Is it possible to do this and is it a good idea?
3) Just curious, what are your "must have" mods for this machine? There's already gold coins overs the flips and a nice sword for the plunger. I was thinking to get "green Convulux plastic protectors" and the "gold ring with the metal plate" for the lockbar button.
Thanks guys

1. Novus2 and 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper. I did that and they were dirty soon after. No desire to do it again. I had the ramps out when I was replacing the ramp flaps because they were curling.
3. Powered subwoofer is a great mod for any game. Really brings it to life. I'm going to reward my machine with the Gold Ring and metal plate when v3.00 comes out.

#5533 5 years ago

When the kickback arrow is flashing, what does that mean? I could have sworn in previous code when it was flashing and the ball drained because the kickback didn't activate, it gave you the ball back? It's ending the ball now when that happens.

#5534 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

1. Novus2 and 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper. I did that and they were dirty soon after. No desire to do it again. I had the ramps out when I was replacing the ramp flaps because they were curling.
3. Powered subwoofer is a great mod for any game. Really brings it to life. I'm going to reward my machine with the Gold Ring and metal plate when v3.00 comes out.

Astonishingly, there don’t seem to be a lot of mods for this game. This is a shocker to me, because a) it could use a couple of little add ons, and b) there are tons of LOTR mods!

#5535 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisLIX:

Try Brasso and then wax them.

#5536 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisLIX:

Just curious, what are your "must have" mods for this machine?

One that you didn't mention that I have is I bought a shinny gold colored newton ball and captive ball. Nothing spectacular, but fits the theme better. The finish has held up well.
http://www.pinballplating.com/quick-exchange-parts/newton-ball

#5537 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

One that you didn't mention that I have is I bought a shinny gold colored newton ball and captive ball. Nothing spectacular, but fits the theme better. The finish has held up well.

Good idea, where did you get the gold newton ball

#5538 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Good idea, where did you get the gold newton ball

The link is there … from the pinballplating.com (the hot rod arcade guys) The "regular" captive ball can be bought there too.

#5539 5 years ago

Question. My spider use to drop down right as the windlance would fire. Lately it drops, but not fast enough before the ball hits it. I don't see any hang-up, and it works fine otherwise. Is this normal or a setting I can adjust? Thanks

#5540 5 years ago

Some pics of my gold (brass) balls after a few hundred plays.

20181017_220920 (resized).jpg20181017_220920 (resized).jpg20181017_221005 (resized).jpg20181017_221005 (resized).jpg
#5541 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Astonishingly, there don’t seem to be a lot of mods for this game. This is a shocker to me, because a) it could use a couple of little add ons, and b) there are tons of LOTR mods!

Larry's (flip n out) lockdown bar button plate with gold ring is a must for this game. And mirror blades look fantastic!

#5542 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Whoa! I gotta order that. This reminds me. I think the Hobbit is the only game I have never really thought about adding mods to. That gold coloured ball is brilliant though

#5543 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Larry's (flip n out) lockdown bar button plate with gold ring is a must for this game. And mirror blades look fantastic!

No doubt those are awesome - I have the map looking blades in there now (I think they were originally sold as LOTR blades) and they look great but start to get raggedy as I lift the PF more frequently. I have some black mirror blades; they will go on either this or DI eventually..

I guess I really meant more the “dolls on the playfield” variety of mods haha.

#5544 5 years ago

I bought this easy to install mod and couldn't be happier, really looks the biz!
ebay.com link: 0

Love the idea if waiting till 3.0 code to treat myself to the lockdown bar plate mod, great idea!

#5545 5 years ago

Green Convolux are cool to
Convolux (resized).jpgConvolux (resized).jpg

Topper
20180402_013415 (resized).jpg20180402_013415 (resized).jpg

topper2 (resized).jpgtopper2 (resized).jpg

And some nice people
20180301_005900_resized (resized).jpg20180301_005900_resized (resized).jpg

20180301_005832_resized (resized).jpg20180301_005832_resized (resized).jpg

20180301_112510_resized (resized).jpg20180301_112510_resized (resized).jpg

20180301_120029_resized (resized).jpg20180301_120029_resized (resized).jpg

#5546 5 years ago

Some dwarfs and a lighted "Throne of Erebor" -mod.

20181018_165444 (resized).jpg20181018_165444 (resized).jpg
#5547 5 years ago
Quoted from Slapfighter:

Some dwarfs and a lighted "Throne of Erebor" -mod.
[quoted image]

Throne is really beautiful

#5548 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Question. My spider use to drop down right as the windlance would fire. Lately it drops, but not fast enough before the ball hits it. I don't see any hang-up, and it works fine otherwise. Is this normal or a setting I can adjust? Thanks

The pop-up Mech probably needs to be bent forward or backwards a little due to binding.
It should drop like a rock with no resistance at all.

#5549 5 years ago

A bug report on V2.97: after killing Smaug the background music continues. Can be the multiball tune or a mode that runs simultaniously with the multiball. It used to be just Smaug screaming and some minor background sound during the awesome animations on the display showing Smaug falling to his death. With 2.97 this effect is ruined. Please return it to how it used to be which was perfect.
After playing an arkenstone mode the game takes up to 5 seconds to go back to normal play. Used to be much shorter. Any reasons why this changed? No targets are lit and you can't shoot anything.

Other changes are good. Insert lights that flicker more actively, progress callouts during the Arkenstone modes, beast MB and regular MB. More new sounds and spoken audio.
But please: fix the Smaug "falling from the sky" audio after killing him. This sequence already had audio problems in the past with 2.91 or another update in the past which was very annoying too.

#5550 5 years ago
Quoted from Maurice:

A bug report on V2.97: after killing Smaug the background music continues.

I noticed as well my first smaug kill

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 25.50
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 111 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/111?hl=chrislix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.