IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 110 of 260.
#5451 5 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

You are looking for differences that are not there. Only four states are indicated on the hex icons:
unqualified
qualified
qualified and selected
played
--Ted

Hey Ted, so 'played' is not differentiated from 'completed'?

I suppose completing modes has no bearing on the game except for scoring, so maybe doesn't need to be identified. I can't remember if you need to complete modes or just play them as an alternative way to qualify for an Arkenstone mode.

Some time ago did you also say you were going to consider adding an 'option' to stop Beast MB from starting during an active mode? The amount of times I'm ace-ing a mode only to have Beast MB start and subsequently block critical shots, thus setting me back in Arkenstone qualification progress. Thanks for thinking about this one.

#5452 5 years ago

Stepped up to my game tonight a bit miffled as I still hadn't managed to kill Smaug after about 1.5 years of ownership...

First two balls drained quick but I soldiered on. The third ball seemed enchanted and I quickly won two extra balls. Played Smaug MB once and got pretty far, then Into the Fire. Managed to play Smaug MB a second time and I looked up to see I was on the kill shot! Loaded up the right flipper and boom! So happy to see the 'Dragon Slayer' title at long last, and a hair away from BOTFA which I've never seen yet.

Amazing game.

#5453 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Stepped up to my game tonight a bit miffled as I still hadn't managed to kill Smaug after about 1.5 years of ownership...
First two balls drained quick but I soldiered on. The third ball seemed enchanted and I quickly won two extra balls. Played Smaug MB once and got pretty far, then Into the Fire. Managed to play Smaug MB a second time and I looked up to see I was on the kill shot! Loaded up the right flipper and boom! So happy to see the 'Dragon Slayer' title at long last, and a hair away from BOTFA which I've never seen yet.
Amazing game.

I have only done it once but it is SO cool! Not sure there is another game this amazing. Well... Dialed In

#5454 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Hey Ted, so 'played' is not differentiated from 'completed'?
I suppose completing modes has no bearing on the game except for scoring, so maybe doesn't need to be identified. I can't remember if you need to complete modes or just play them as an alternative way to qualify for an Arkenstone mode.

The only place where completing a mode is required is to spot one of the Arkenstone jewels in order to qualify an Arkenstone Mode. The "Book Mode" jewel is here:arkshard (resized).jpgarkshard (resized).jpg

As you note, completion percentage affects scoring, and obviously "complete" - 100% - is the best result.

--Ted

#5455 5 years ago

You are looking for differences that are not there. Only four states are indicated on the hex icons:
unqualified
qualified
qualified and selected
played
--Ted

I thought you could go back and complete a mode you hadn't finished ,still learning the game . great pin Ted

#5456 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I thought you could go back and complete a mode you hadn't finished ,still learning the game . great pin Ted

No. There’s no way to do that. So if the mode is lit up in color, you’ve played or completed it. Since that is all that matters for getting to TABA, I don’t see all the color coding as necessary.

#5457 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

No. There’s no way to do that. So if the mode is lit up in color, you’ve played or completed it. Since that is all that matters for getting to TABA, I don’t see all the color coding as necessary.

Would there be any negatives to going back to a mode. the way it is now it's good it makes you play all the different modes but on the other hand it could be good to be able to go back and complete modes.

#5458 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Would there be any negatives to going back to a mode. the way it is now it's good it makes you play all the different modes but on the other hand it could be good to be able to go back and complete modes.

Then you could exploit the scoring in the arkanstone modes. You could just keep playing a 4-5 Star mode until you’re done with it, then blow the game up on the arkanstone mode.

#5459 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Then you could exploit the scoring in the arkanstone modes. You could just keep playing a 4-5 Star mode until you’re done with it, then blow the game up on the arkanstone mode.

Fair point

#5460 5 years ago

So what happens when you have started all the modes, and want to start another? Is that when you can start TABA - and after that all the modes reset? Or do all the ones you didn’t complete reset?

#5461 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

So what happens when you have started all the modes, and want to start another? Do you then to TABA and after that all the modes reset? Or do all the ones you didn’t finish reset?

* Before the code update * I did that once and they all reset after a Arkenstone mode. My ego was deflated when that happened - I had to start over. Just guessing that if the book modes are the qualifiers for Arkenstone, you just wont get anymore book modes until the Arkenstone is played. Also guessing that TABA would play right after the last mode times out or is completed, which would be before you shoot the Arkenstone shot/hole. (???) [Speculating]

#5462 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

So what happens when you have started all the modes, and want to start another? Is that when you can start TABA - and after that all the modes reset? Or do all the ones you didn’t complete reset?

Current code: Once you have played them all, you hit either hole to start TABA. After that, all Modes reset so you can play them again.

All other game progress stays.

#5463 5 years ago

You can always see which modes you completed by going to the new progress screens by cradling the ball for a few seconds.

And yes, the two holes flash white when all modes have been played and TABA is ready.

#5464 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

You can always see which modes you completed by going to the new progress screens by cradling the ball for a few seconds.
And yes, the two holes flash white when all modes have been played and TABA is ready.

So you can do TABA before ITF right?

#5465 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

So you can do TABA before ITF right?

Yes. Only requirement for TABA is playing every mode.

#5466 5 years ago

The only place where completing a mode is required is to spot one of the Arkenstone jewels in order to qualify an Arkenstone Mode. The "Book Mode" jewel is here:[quoted image]
As you note, completion percentage affects scoring, and obviously "complete" - 100% - is the best result.
--Ted

Thanks for that Ted. I was getting confused by this, is this saying that if I complete all modes in a specific qualifier i.e. all the MAN modes, then I qualify for an Arkenstone mode and skip the 5 jewel requirements? :

- Added award for playing all Book Modes for a given qualfier; award is configurable for points (default) or spotting an Arkenstone task

Also did you say there was an option coming to stop Beast MB from starting during an active mode? i thought I read this somewhere. Thanks.

#5467 5 years ago

Hi,

can someone tell me the dimensions of the cabinet high? (front and rear)? Without Backbox and legs.

Thanx

#5468 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Thanks for that Ted. I was getting confused by this, is this saying that if I complete all modes in a specific qualifier i.e. all the MAN modes, then I qualify for an Arkenstone mode and skip the 5 jewel requirements? :
- Added award for playing all Book Modes for a given qualfier; award is configurable for points (default) or spotting an Arkenstone task
Also did you say there was an option coming to stop Beast MB from starting during an active mode? i thought I read this somewhere. Thanks.

All new software related questions are answered here.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/details-new-hobbit-code

#5469 5 years ago
Quoted from Simbl:

Hi,
can someone tell me the dimensions of the cabinet high? (front and rear)? Without Backbox and legs.
Thanx

25 inches wide 52 inches long 24 inches high at rear and 16 and a half at front , plunger extra 2 and a half inches

#5470 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

:

IMG_20180926_232234 (resized).jpgIMG_20180926_232234 (resized).jpg
#5471 5 years ago

Thanks for re-posting that; I had completely forgotten you can switch book modes
For a moment after hitting the ramp!

#5472 5 years ago

I'm sure this has been answered before, but feel too lazy to try and find it.

Where does the game display the number of extra balls you have saved up during your game? Is that a setting I have to turn on?

I never know how many are in reserve.

Thanks.....

#5473 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

Where does the game display the number of extra balls you have saved up during your game? Is that a setting I have to turn on?
Thanks.....

Doesn’t it show it real big on the main screen before you
Plunge?

#5474 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

Thanks.....

Balls in reserve setting.

#5475 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Balls in reserve setting.

Where exactly is this located in the menus? I couldn't find it.

#5476 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

Where exactly is this located in the menus? I couldn't find it.

I love knowing how many balls you have to go. I find it really handy because you can have more balls before you know it especially after multiball ,and if you want to go for something risky it's good to know how many balls you have left ,if anything it should be an option to turn it off . I think it should be there in every mode.

IMG20180930221337 (resized).jpgIMG20180930221337 (resized).jpg
#5477 5 years ago

Thanks so much. One further question on this.....I turned it on and see where it's displaying on the screen. If on the first ball, I get 2 extra balls will it show all of those balls or just max out at 3 on the screen? What if I was to get really lucky and get 3 or 4 extra balls on the 1st ball. Will it show all of those? What's the maximum it displays on the screen?

#5478 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

Thanks so much. One further question on this.....I turned it on and see where it's displaying on the screen. If on the first ball, I get 2 extra balls will it show all of those balls or just max out at 3 on the screen? What if I was to get really lucky and get 3 or 4 extra balls on the 1st ball. Will it show all of those? What's the maximum it displays on the screen?

The number will show the 3 balls + add any extra balls you earn. There is a maximum extra balls setting in the menu. I think the default setting is a maximum of 5 extra balls. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

#5479 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

The number will show the 3 balls + add any extra balls you earn. There is a maximum extra balls setting in the menu. I think the default setting is a maximum of 5 extra balls. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

No, didn't mean the setting for how many max. extra balls you could get. Was wondering what the number of max. balls displayed is if you had lots of extra balls saved up, under the Balls in Reserve setting.

#5480 5 years ago
Quoted from XpertDBA:

Once you get past three balls it will show it like this

IMG20181001194333 (resized).jpgIMG20181001194333 (resized).jpg
#5481 5 years ago

Ah cool......thanks for the image. That answered my question.

#5482 5 years ago

This is for screaminr from the question in the JJPOTC club thread …

For connecting TH to a external sub, I used what Pinnovators recommended and it works great. First I bought an RCA splitter for the sub connection at the back of the box from Amazon, then a RCA to STEREO 3.5mm adapter at monoprice:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7241
20181004_200043 (resized).jpg20181004_200043 (resized).jpg
then used the Pinnovators 3.5mm stereo cable and routed that out through the back under a small access plate (that no one knows what it is for) that has the 4 screws (just pinched the wire casing a touch with it so that it wouldn't get accidentally pulled), then to the Pinnovators sub splitter.
20181004_200057 (resized).jpg20181004_200057 (resized).jpg
I had bought 5 of those monoprice adapters because they were cheap but had questionable reviews - all 5 worked. Pinnovators said that they never had or heard of a problem with them. Their theory was that it was best to have the sound coming from both a RH and LH audio channel. I have that setup with the adapters for both my WOZ and TH and the sound is great.

If nothing else it can give you an idea of what to do. I see that the monoprice RCA to 3.5 stereo is out of stock until 10/25, so if you want one I will bring one to Expo with me and give it to you for 50 cents. I don't have another extra RCA splitter though. Let me know ...

#5483 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

This is for screaminr from the question in the JJPOTC club thread …
For connecting TH to a external sub, I used what Pinnovators recommended and it works great. First I bought an RCA splitter for the sub connection at the back of the box from Amazon, then a RCA to STEREO 3.5mm adapter at monoprice:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7241
[quoted image]
then used the Pinnovators 3.5mm stereo cable and routed that out through the back under a small access plate (that no one knows what it is for) that has the 4 screws (just pinched the wire casing a touch with it so that it wouldn't get accidentally pulled), then to the Pinnovators sub splitter.
[quoted image]
I had bought 5 of those monoprice adapters because they were cheap but had questionable reviews - all 5 worked. Pinnovators said that they never had or heard of a problem with them. Their theory was that it was best to have the sound coming from both a RH and LH audio channel. I have that setup with the adapters for both my WOZ and TH and the sound is great.
If nothing else it can give you an idea of what to do. I see that the monoprice RCA to 3.5 stereo is out of stock until 10/25, so if you want one I will bring one to Expo with me and give it to you for 50 cents. I don't have another extra RCA splitter though. Let me know ...

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to explain everything so clearly , really appreciate it . With The Hobbit having such a good sound setup how much difference does the extra sub make .

#5484 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to explain everything so clearly , really appreciate it . With The Hobbit having such a good sound setup how much difference does the extra sub make .

I had an external 300W sub hooked up to my Hobbit but it's to much. The sub used in the pin is also a 300W version. Not worth it (in my opinion)

#5485 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I guess that it depends on your taste and preferences. I like the external sub as it gives you better adjustments to accentuate the bass like a movie theater. You can possibly do some of that with the speaker in the pin, but then you are rattling the pin more when you are looking for the sound. When the sound levels increase for the intensity of the various modes is when the difference is most prevalent. Just my opinion. The existing JJP sound systems are great for pins either way.

#5486 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I guess that it depends on your taste and preferences. I like the external sub as it gives you better adjustments to accentuate the bass like a movie theater. You can possibly do some of that with the speaker in the pin, but then you are rattling the pin more when you are looking for the sound. When the sound levels increase for the intensity of the various modes is when the difference is most prevalent. Just my opinion. The existing JJP sound systems are great for pins either way.

With how good jjp sound is ,it's probably over the top but I like over the top and will give it a go down the track . once again thank you for your help and advice .

1 week later
#5488 5 years ago

Ok, so can someone tell me.

How many waves are there in the mini-Wizard modes to actually defeat them? I get Into the Fire on most games, and I fight through 3 or 4 waves, but usually I can't get past that 4th wave. Is that the last one, and you defeat it if you get through it? Or is there a 5th or 6th wave (or even more)?

Same for Barrel Escape and BOTFA....is there someplace that documents exactly what must be done to fully complete those?

Thanks - Robert

#5489 5 years ago

Joined the club yesterday. I’m going on an adventure!

583535D7-E99B-4D96-A500-497DDE8E00C3 (resized).jpeg583535D7-E99B-4D96-A500-497DDE8E00C3 (resized).jpeg
#5490 5 years ago

Yet Dialed In has been forgotten about.

#5491 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Yet Dialed In has been forgotten about.

You’ve not been keeping up - new code for DI is being streamed on Monday!

#5492 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

new code for DI is being streamed on Monday!

And tested at Expo, and released soon after.

LTG : )

#5493 5 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

[quoted image]

Good choice. Jjp's all lineup so beautiful together.

#5494 5 years ago

[quoted image]

Just missing a WOZ. I’m going to add a DI soon hope it’s a good challenge.

#5495 5 years ago

Going to stream some of the new 2.97 code tonight, 8 p.m. Eastern: http://www.twitch.tv/buffalopinball

#5496 5 years ago

Has the MSRP price come down on the hobbit since back when it was first revealed

#5497 5 years ago

Going to stream some of the new 2.97 code tonight, 8 p.m. Eastern: http://www.twitch.tv/buffalopinball

Cool.

#5498 5 years ago
Quoted from Jpp718:

Has the MSRP price come down on the hobbit since back when it was first revealed

No but mint used HUO is readily available at $6500-$7000. Hands down the best bang for the buck pinball experience on the market today.

#5499 5 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

No but mint used HUO is readily available at $6500-$7000. Hands down the best bang for the buck pinball experience on the market today.

So NIB is still going to run you 8500$

#5500 5 years ago
Quoted from Jpp718:

So NIB is still going to run you 8500$

yes, according to the agreements that the distributors and JJP have with each other.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 110 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/110?hl=jpp718 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.