IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,993 posts in this topic. You are on page 103 of 260.
#5101 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I knew TH was fast & furious, but I'm starting to get addicted (help).
Ted, when I hit a lit mode ramp, I can cycle through maybe three modes with the flippers. I think about the mode first and then decide whether to keep or discard and move, which is slow. Keep in mind I haven't memorized what/where all the modes are on the backglass.
Can you add a timer option to control how long the flippers allow you to cycle through lit modes and provide an option closer to how long it takes for the ball to reach a flipper (maybe six seconds)?

The timer expires when the ball hits the inlane switch. If it ran beyond that, then you'd end up switching the lit mode when flipping at the ball. Not too much can be done there.
--Ted

#5102 5 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

I plan on at least more release before we create the 3.00 ISO image. I don't have an ETA at this time.
--Ted

May be somewheres else, but what will the 3.0 ISO image release do? Will the player see a difference?

#5103 5 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

May be somewheres else, but what will the 3.0 ISO image release do? Will the player see a difference?

no but he should have a Scoregasm.

#5104 5 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Not much but Ted has added so many new features he wants to make sure there's no new bugs before 3.00 is released. He and his team have been working long and hard on this update, really dedicating a lot of time and energy. They could have just fixed the bugs from 2.95 and released 3.00 but they added all kinds of new features and those may present new bugs.

#5105 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Good ideas. I think the following would be a cool way to pull this off yet allow JJP to still enforce playing through the Arkenstone modes in order.
1. Arkenstone modes 1-3 are always played in order
2. On the 4th Arkenstone mode attempt allow the player to select one of the 3 already played Arkenstone and start that player in the mode where they last left off.
3. If saved state cannot be enabled allow players to at least be able to select what Arkenstone can be played for the 4th, 5th, etc attempt.

I still don't like the fact that you can't choose which mini wizard mode to play. I really wish this was a menu setting for the player to decide. In addition, I agree with zmeny on progress. You could then choose to play the same wizard mode for a completion reward before moving on to the next one. None of the modes are played in the order of the movies so I'm not sure why the mini wizard modes have to be.

#5106 5 years ago

What's the difference between 2.95 & 2.96? I have 2.95. Would one recommend up grading to 2.96, or just wait for 3.00?

#5107 5 years ago

2.96 has some bug fixes and removed the big dwarf horn sounds. Much more polished. Do it!

#5108 5 years ago

I plan on at least more release before we create the 3.00 ISO image. I don't have an ETA at this time.
--Ted

I was sort of hoping to get a release out a couple of days ago, but some other urgent things came up. I'm on vacation until the 30th. Maybe I'll be able to have something posted around Aug 2-3.
--Ted

#5109 5 years ago

I was sort of hoping to get a release out a couple of days ago, but some other urgent things came up. I'm on vacation until the 30th. Maybe I'll be able to have something posted around Aug 2-3.
--Ted

I don't think there is a mad rush to get 3.0 out in my opinion. We, as Hobbit owners, are glad that JJP is still working on improving the code - and the last few releases lately prove that.

Enjoy your vacation!

#5110 5 years ago

If any owners have ever experienced unexplained flaky triggering on the bag end shot (opto #32), read on for the issue I was experiencing.

ISSUE: The bag end shot (opto #32) would not always register when the ball passed through the area.
ROOT CAUSE: The opto's beam was reflecting off the transparent plastic trim piece directly above the area. When a ball passed through the area, the reflected beam would often still remain connected, and the opto would not trigger.
MY SOLUTION: I cut out a piece of non-reflective dark paper matching the size of the plastic trim piece and attached it to the underside of the trim piece to eliminate the opto beam's reflection. No reoccurrences since.

I experienced a very similar issue on The Shadow with the mini-playfield opto beam reflecting off the playfield glass. So before I ever assume an opto is bad, I always check first to see if the beam is reflecting off of something. I hope this helps anyone who is experiencing this same issue!

Image1.pngImage1.png
#5111 5 years ago

The new code pushed me over the edge. I have joined the club! My NIB Black Arrow shall be delivered tomorrow. Huzzah!

#5112 5 years ago
Quoted from trilamb:

The new code pushed me over the edge. I have joined the club! My NIB Black Arrow shall be delivered tomorrow. Huzzah!

Played a black arrow recently. Love the all around look of it.

#5113 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Played a black arrow recently. Love the all around look of it.

Yeh the pics look great. I looked images up on JJP site. Haven't seen one in person but hope to some day. I've got the LE and the cabinet artwork is just right for me.

#5114 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Yeh the pics look great. I looked images up on JJP site. Haven't seen one in person but hope to some day. I've got the LE and the cabinet artwork is just right for me.

Loved the black flipper bats too. Not sure if there were any other playfield differences though.

#5115 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Loved the black flipper bats too. Not sure if there were any other playfield differences though.

Different cabinet art
Black armor
Black flipper bats
Black rubbers
One "black arrow" ball (normally installed behind the captive ball)
Black arrow splash screen

Has all other le/smaug features

I sold my personal le and picked up an black arrow. I really like the overall package.

#5116 5 years ago
Quoted from IceFang:

If any owners have ever experienced unexplained flaky triggering on the bag end shot (opto #32), read on for the issue I was experiencing.
ISSUE: The bag end shot (opto #32) would not always register when the ball passed through the area.
ROOT CAUSE: The opto's beam was reflecting off the transparent plastic trim piece directly above the area. When a ball passed through the area, the reflected beam would often still remain connected, and the opto would not trigger.
MY SOLUTION: I cut out a piece of non-reflective dark paper matching the size of the plastic trim piece and attached it to the underside of the trim piece to eliminate the opto beam's reflection. No reoccurrences since.
I experienced a very similar issue on The Shadow with the mini-playfield opto beam reflecting off the playfield glass. So before I ever assume an opto is bad, I always check first to see if the beam is reflecting off of something. I hope this helps anyone who is experiencing this same issue!

This is a great generalized tip! Thanks for posting that and in such detail.

#5117 5 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

Different cabinet art
Black armor
Black flipper bats
Black rubbers
One "black arrow" ball (normally installed behind the captive ball)
Black arrow splash screen
Has all other le/smaug features
I sold my personal le and picked up an black arrow. I really like the overall package.

Does the black arrow have any special video or animation on the screen, like the LE does?

#5118 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Does the black arrow have any special video or animation on the screen, like the LE does?

LE doesn't have any special animation. Black Arrow does, similar to Smaug and RR WOZ. Just a little extra animation. Personally, I prefer the LE hammered bronze armor and art better than the black armor and BA art package. And don't really care for the black captive ball (hard to see). That is why I went with the LE. But it's nice to have options because we all like what we like.

#5119 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Quoted from Crile1:

LE doesn't have any special animation. Black Arrow does, similar to Smaug and RR WOZ. Just a little extra animation. Personally, I prefer the LE hammered bronze armor and art better than the black armor and BA art package. And don't really care for the black captive ball (hard to see). That is why I went with the LE. But it's nice to have options because we all like what we like.

correct. I like that there are different choices for everyone.

I also have some in stock and ready to ship if anyone is looking to get a new machine with the new code!

#5120 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Sorry, Smaug is what I meant - is it the same video on BA or something new?

#5121 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Sorry, Smaug is what I meant - is it the same video on BA or something new?

yes, they are different

Smaug

Black Arrow

Both are amazing!

Hope that helps

#5122 5 years ago

What are some of the most satisfying shots or scoring in the Hobbit?

#5123 5 years ago

BA edition has the best cabinet art by a country mile. LE has scrotum chin and the SE has the same Smaug image that's on the playfield.

#5124 5 years ago
Quoted from gorgar007:

Hitting one of the holes to start an Arkenstone wizard mode.

"Out of the frying pan, AND INTO THE FIRE!!!!!"

The action of the Arkenstones merging on the screen is just too cool! Also, killing Smaug by hitting a single downed standup without hitting the raised standups in the time allotted is awesome. Lastly, the spinners are not an easy shot and it feels great to just rip the spinner and watch your map progress fly forward. Even better when you can hit that same spinner two or three times in a row.

#5125 5 years ago
Quoted from gorgar007:

Smaug kill shot is really sweet

#5126 5 years ago

The wave of the battle of the five armies where you have to go back and forth hitting the dwarf targets in order and hitting beasts is awesome too.

#5127 5 years ago

Playing Runes mode is nice. White flasher strobes during entire mode and ramp shots turn and u-turn back. If you get multiball going with it ... kaboom!

Game has lots of multiballs, so you can learn to cradle two balls while flipping other balls feels fantastic!

#5128 5 years ago

How do you reinstall a update if the first one fails and is stuck in the file download loop? Tried to update from 2.1 to 2.96 and crash

#5129 5 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

How do you reinstall a update if the first one fails and is stuck in the file download loop?

If you turn the game off, turn the game back on ( with no usb stick in the game ) and it doesn't come up. You'll have to reload the operating system.

LTG : )

#5130 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If you turn the game off, turn the game back on ( with no usb stick in the game ) and it doesn't come up. You'll have to reload the operating system.

Load 2.0 and then delta 2.96 after?

#5131 5 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Load 2.0 and then delta 2.96 after?

Yes. Full install first then the delta. Instructions how to do this are in the manual. Use formatted usb sticks with nothing else on them.

#5132 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes. Full install first then the delta. Instructions how to do this are in the manual. Use formatted usb sticks with nothing else on them.

Thanks for the response and your time.

#5133 5 years ago

Still haven't loaded new code. Waiting for 3.0 with bugs worked out. glad to hear all the positive reviews so far though.

#5134 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Still haven't loaded new code. Waiting for 3.0 with bugs worked out. glad to hear all the positive reviews so far though.

It’s worth the minute to download 2.96 and the 45 seconds to install the delta on the game. Why wait?

#5135 5 years ago

Had my Ax on the right slingshot literally break off at the metal below the plastic piece that hits the rubber. If you have to replace this, jump uff a cliff and pray there are rocks at the bottom instead. Actually didn’t take all thatllng but very tight under the playfield to get it changed.

#5136 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Personally, I prefer the LE hammered bronze armor and art better than the black armor and BA art package.

Same here. By a lot. That's why I got a LE.

#5137 5 years ago

Smaug FTW
00011 (resized).jpg00011 (resized).jpg

#5138 5 years ago

Nah, I like the LE Art with all the characters better. Plus all kinds of little stuff in the background, like the trolls roasting the dwarves near the flippers. Plus have Bilbo and Gandalf on the head. If I want to see Smaug, he's in the center of the playfield. Plus, I prefer Red Smaug toy to Gold Smaug. But I will say the Smaug LE custom animation in attract mode is pretty sweet.

#5139 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Nah, I like the LE Art with all the characters better. Plus all kinds of little stuff in the background, like the trolls roasting the dwarves near the flippers. Plus have Bilbo and Gandalf on the head. If I want to see Smaug, he's in the center of the playfield. Plus, I prefer Red Smaug toy to Gold Smaug. But I will say the Smaug LE custom animation in attract mode is pretty sweet.

Good to see everyone got the one they wanted
Good point about the gold vs red Smaug. I wanted the SE and the red Smuag so I ordered an extra red. But JJP called me and said they had no extra red (they were having a hard time with supply at that time in the first year of Hobbit production). I later just cancelled my red Smaug order because I now feel that the gold is a bit better looking in the SE pin than the red one (in my opinion).

The BA has the gold Smaug toy as well. https://primetimeamusements.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/BA-playfield.jpg

Quoted from Crile1:

Plus have Bilbo and Gandalf on the head.

Smaug SE has the same pin cab head as the LE (Bilbo on the left side and Gandalf on the right). However the BA edition does have different head decals.

I prefer Smaug Special Edition too! - but the LE is a very close second and looks fantastic.

#5140 5 years ago

Best part #goronic is that they have the SAME playfield, SAME toys, SAME code, and SAME gameplay. So, get whatever aesthetic cabinet art you like but don't miss out on any features. Even the standard guys (are there any out there) get everything except shaker, glass, armor, and barrels. Plus, built like a tank. JJP for the win!

#5141 5 years ago

never mind I was incorrect. Deleted post.

#5142 5 years ago

This new 2.96 code is unbelievable, WOW! It takes the game to another frickin level. I just played a 45 minute game on the new code and exhausted. Got my second highest score ever at 3.6B behind GC of 4.4B and got Barrel Escape and Into the Fire arkenstone modes. Also killed Smaug which is incredibly satisfying. This game is so damn deep and polished, it’s now my favorite pin. Amazing job on this game JJP.

#5143 5 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

This new 2.96 code is unbelievable, WOW! It takes the game to another frickin level. I just played a 45 minute game on the new code and exhausted. Got my second highest score ever at 3.6B behind GC of 4.4B and got Barrel Escape and Into the Fire arkenstone modes. Also killed Smaug which is incredibly satisfying. This game is so damn deep and polished, it’s now my favorite pin. Amazing job on this game JJP.

Wow you got your score up to billions in 45min that’s pretty amazing, it took me about 55min to get close to 6 million, how did you get such a high score?

#5144 5 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

I haven't installed the new code as I want to play a couple of games on the old code to see what has changed. I don't play this game that much, I only have 86 games and half of those I never finished.

So with that being said, what's a good video to watch that shows gameplay? The problem I had with this game is that I didn't know what to do. Other games I can figure out like GB.

thanks

#5145 5 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I haven't installed the new code as I want to play a couple of games on the old code to see what has changed. I don't play this game that much, I only have 86 games and half of those I never finished.
So with that being said, what's a good video to watch that shows gameplay? The problem I had with this game is that I didn't know what to do. Other games I can figure out like GB.
thanks

Shameless plug. We talk about various strategies and how to play modes. Also we get to most everything in the game.

JJP also has their own YT channel with prior live streams of hobbit that are great as well.

#5146 5 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Wow you got your score up to billions in 45min that’s pretty amazing, it took me about 55min to get close to 6 million, how did you get such a high score?

The first few games I didn’t even break 500M as I hadn’t played in months, but the third game I started getting into the zone and kept getting extra balls and mulitballs keeping the game going. That Smaug kill sequence is so bad ass, gives me chills. I noticed quite a few new callouts and animations in this code update and the book, insert lights and status reports really help to understand what to do to progress through the game. Going to play more Hobbit tonight and give Iron Maiden LE the cold shoulder lol

AB565AF3-C097-4093-B32C-1AE5E48FD166 (resized).jpegAB565AF3-C097-4093-B32C-1AE5E48FD166 (resized).jpegE68342AB-4D83-44D6-B253-A5AAC78CF8E2 (resized).jpegE68342AB-4D83-44D6-B253-A5AAC78CF8E2 (resized).jpeg
#5147 5 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

The first few games I didn’t even break 500M as I hadn’t played in months, but the third game I started getting into the zone and kept getting extra balls and mulitballs keeping the game going. That Smaug kill sequence is so bad ass, gives me chills. I noticed quite a few new callouts and animations in this code update and the book, insert lights and status reports really help to understand what to do to progress through the game. Going to play more Hobbit tonight and give Iron Maiden LE the cold shoulder lol[quoted image][quoted image]

But that score is only in the millions.

#5148 5 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

I can’t tell if you’re kidding, or meant to write (m) millions instead of (b) billions. But then i saw the picture you posted of your score and now I’m worried you actually can’t read numbers?

#5149 5 years ago

Millions, billions, it's still a great score!

#5150 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Millions, billions, it's still a great score!

One's great ...the other is Forrest Gump kind of good!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 25.50
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 12,993 posts in this topic. You are on page 103 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/103 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.