Topic Stats

• 7,828 posts
  • 515 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Wildbill327
  • Topic is favorited by 188 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,144 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20191027_094800 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_092217 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090807 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_091030 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_091023 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0012 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_102423 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090419 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090400 (resized).jpg
182073EA-3A86-4714-A07D-DE14034970C6 (resized).jpeg
B7D506CB-DD8C-4B4D-A4C1-A02716D2C79C (resized).jpeg
FC83295A-EEBB-44D9-8B79-4FE11917D16A (resized).jpeg
20190903_191923 (resized).jpg
20191011_105330 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7828 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 157.
#451 3 years ago

Sure is a pretty game, I'll have to try playing one that works

#452 3 years ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

Sure is a pretty game, I'll have to try playing one that works

Well, this is an "Owners" thread you are on.
Maybe there is an owner near you, that has tweaked the game for the best play, for you to see. I would pursue that maybe other than a poorly setup location game. It seems that location games are always hit or miss as far as setup, regardles of the manufacturer.
Especially near me.

#453 3 years ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

I'll have to try playing one that works

Come on over.

LTG : )

#454 3 years ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

I hope Stern does not do a giant LCD screen, too much going on.

Thanks for your review. It is a shame that you didn't get a chance to play a machine without the issues that you mentioned. The Hobbit is a great game even with partial code.

In the future please post your Hobbit comments in a different Hobbit topic. This topic “Hobbit Owners Thread” is very useful for owners that are looking to share their experience, exchange ideas on customization and seek assistance for issues that they are experiencing. There are 70 other Hobbit topics that have been created in the past 3 months alone, I'm sure one of them will meet your needs better than this one. If not please feel free to create your own topic.

#455 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Thanks for your review. It is a shame that you didn't get a chance to play a machine without the issues that you mentioned. The Hobbit is a great game even with partial code.
In the future please post your Hobbit comments in a different Hobbit topic. This topic “Hobbit Owners Thread” is very useful for owners that are looking to share their experience, exchange ideas on customization and seek assistance for issues that they are experiencing. There are 70 other Hobbit topics that have been created in the past 3 months alone, I'm sure one of them will meet your needs better than this one. If not please feel free to create your own topic.

#456 3 years ago

My Hobbit LE has been delivered! The shipping box was scuffed up in a few spots but no holes in the box so that's good. Charging Escalera now to move it into my basement tonight with the help from a friend, haha. Downloading 1.10 now.

Also, I contacted Jen regarding ordering the pop up troll fix. Jen said that the current versions are prototypes, the production version for customers are in process.

Oh, I just noticed while browsing the files with the 1.10 update that there are subfolders with images / video for the games 3 Arkenstone modes. They must be coming soon in a future update!

hobbit_(resized).JPG

#457 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

My Hobbit LE has been delivered! The shipping box was scuffed up in a few spots but no holes in the box so that's good. Charging Escalera now to move it into my basement tonight with the help from a friend, haha. Downloading 1.10 now.
Also, I contacted Jen regarding ordering the pop up troll fix. Jen said that the current versions are prototypes, the production version for customers are in process.
Oh, I just noticed while browsing the files with the 1.10 update that there are subfolders with images / video for the games 3 Arkenstone modes. They must be coming soon in a future update!

Awesome. The Hobbit rules. The future of pinball is here with JJP. I had to say that. Carry on.

#458 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

My Hobbit LE has been delivered! The shipping box was scuffed up in a few spots but no holes in the box so that's good. Charging Escalera now to move it into my basement tonight with the help from a friend, haha

Congrats on getting the game before the weekend! Might have to jumper the escalera battery mid-stairway, this game is a BEAST!
I just cant stop playing mine, I'm so hooked

#459 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Awesome. The Hobbit rules. The future of pinball is here with JJP. I had to say that. Carry on.

Haha, yup. While I can't move the game yet I had to at least check out the legs! I'll tell ya, The Hobbit easily has one of the highest quality powder coated armor sets I've ever seen on a pinball machine, just wow.

20160526_162151_(resized).jpg

#460 3 years ago
Quoted from BShing:

My order date is 1/21/13 and Jen said end of May when I asked a few months back. I wonder how far I'm pushed back now. Oh well, as others have commented maybe they'll have the bugs worked out. I was one of the first to receive my WOZ. No light board problems but I always notice in the for sale ads prospective buyers inquiring about the issue.

I think at that time that was probably an accurate assessment. I am a December 13, 2012, order date and was told "end of May". I think with these recent issues the assemblers are trying to implement the revised solutions into games on the line (makes sense and cents), so production schedule has been slowed up a couple weeks. I don't bug them for updates because I want my game when they are satisfied it's the best it can be.

#461 3 years ago

Early adopters (like myself) = Lab Rats

Sometimes, but its been fun and exciting none-the-less.

#462 3 years ago

I permanently fixed the left habitrail bounce-out problem by taking a rounded file to the last two cross bars so the ball no longer hits them. Curious if the people who have installed a post still get the occasional bounce-out into or over the inlane?

I had previously bent the end loop up slightly and that eliminated a large % of bounce-outs but not all of them.

Not sure that I can recommend the fix as it is not reversible and JJP will probably come up with a solution, but it does work and I don't think it's very noticeable unless pointed out.

IMG_20160525_230422419_(resized).jpg

#463 3 years ago

Has anyone had issues with hitting the right orbit, then it exiting the left orbit and going SDTM? This was happening a lot- smooth/quick orbit shot, then right down the middle. I slightly bent back the edge of the metal guide at the end of the left orbit exit, and put a tiny piece of felt on the edge, now the left orbit feeds the right flipper on exit or hits the right sling. I like that better then a drain

#464 3 years ago

No problem with orbit shots going down the middle on mine. The right orbit feeds the left flipper well enough to hit the orbit again on the fly.

#465 3 years ago

Hopefully expecting my Hobbit in June. Getting ready to make a Pinball Life order. Early on there was some discussion about changing out the shooter spring strength. Is this still something to consider? If so, which color to purchase? Also, are there other recommended things which I might want to add onto this purchase? Anyone tried the PerfectPlay flippers on this pin yet? I already have extra balls and not really sure if JJP pinballs need to be switched out like Sterns are but at least I'm covered on that front if needed.

Thanks.

#466 3 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I already have extra balls and not really sure if JJP pinballs need to be switched out like Sterns are but at least I'm covered on that front if needed.

I want to order an extra set on pinballs as well. Which are the preferred for WoZ and TH?

#467 3 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I permanently fixed the left habitrail bounce-out problem by taking a rounded file to the last two cross bars so the ball no longer hits them. Curious if the people who have installed a post still get the occasional bounce-out into or over the inlane?
I had previously bent the end loop up slightly and that eliminated a large % of bounce-outs but not all of them.
Not sure that I can recommend the fix as it is not reversible and JJP will probably come up with a solution. However, I'm not anticipating selling the game any time soon and I don't think it's noticeable unless pointed out.

I also spread the ends of the wire-form about 1/8" more to get the ball to "drop" a tiny bit before going through the loop, that I also bent up about 3/16"

I have not put the peg along the left side as others have. My game seems to have settled down at 200 plays

#468 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I want to order an extra set on pinballs as well. Which are the preferred for WoZ and TH?

I just use the bulk ones from Marco Spec they are nicely oiled (you have to clean them but there is no rust, I like the little tubes of 5, they dont roll around in my tool box) I run them in the tumbler for a few hours and wax them before putting them into my games.

I have also used pinball life balls, there doesnt seem to be any difference to me.

#469 3 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Hopefully expecting my Hobbit in June. Getting ready to make a Pinball Life order. Early on there was some discussion about changing out the shooter spring strength. Is this still something to consider? If so, which color to purchase? Also, are there other recommended things which I might want to add onto this purchase? Anyone tried the PerfectPlay flippers on this pin yet? I already have extra balls and not really sure if JJP pinballs need to be switched out like Sterns are but at least I'm covered on that front if needed.
Thanks.

I abandoned getting a new spring. While I have to struggle to get the R and F targets, they're doable...no need to go any stronger.

#470 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I also spread the ends of the wire-form about 1/8" more to get the ball to "drop" a tiny bit before going through the loop, that I also bent up about 3/16"
I have not put the peg along the left side as others have. My game seems to have settled down at 200 plays

You can see in the photo my habitrail veers to the right at the first cross bar. I tried to accentuate the problem by manually giving the ball a little extra speed when testing. Sometimes it would hit the first cross bar and go off track heading towards the left where people are putting a post. Sometimes it would hit the second cross bar then bounce off the end loop and go various places.

#471 3 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

You can see in the photo my habitrail veers to the right at the first cross bar. I tried to accentuate the problem by manually giving the ball a little extra speed when testing. Sometimes it would hit the first cross bar and go off track heading towards the left where people are putting a post. Sometimes it would hit the second cross bar then bounce off the end loop and go various places.

When I first started my game the wireform was tilted towards the wall by 1/8". The ball always fell and stuck at the bottom over the screw head or climbed the loop and missed the kickback.

I had to work on that wire-form a lot. I have twisted it a bit so that its slightly angled down away from the wall in the upper portion, then goes level and then very slightly angled away from the wall in the lower section.

Its easiest to twist the wire-form with a rag and a crescent wrench adjusted snugly that crosses both wires.

If I have the flipper power too high (28+) the ball will still fly over the loop.

I might do as you did and dent a valley in the cross braces on my bench vise anvil.

Although so far it seems fixed.

#472 3 years ago

I might do as you did and dent a valley in the cross braces on my bench vise anvil.

If you bend it the rails will get closer together. I think this might be more noticeable than using a file to form the valleys. It didn't take long and I put a cloth under the rail to catch the filings.

#473 3 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

If you bend it the rails will get closer together. I think this might be more noticeable than using a file to form the valleys. It didn't take long and I put a cloth under the rail to catch the filings.

I think it only takes about 1/64th to 1/32" more clearance to be safe, on my game the ball barely grazes it. You can tell it hits though as it bumps along twice on the way to the kickback and looks as though it may drop off.

#475 3 years ago

I need detailed instructions on how to qualify Man, Elf and Dwarf modes. Mine at the top screen seem to always stay highlighted and never shaded.

#476 3 years ago

mine is supposed to arrive late june early july, i wonder what the code will be like by then.

#477 3 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

No problem with orbit shots going down the middle on mine. The right orbit feeds the left flipper well enough to hit the orbit again on the fly.

Thanks- I ended up taking off the felt and bending the metal wall guide back a bit, now the right orbit goes to the left flipper.

#478 3 years ago

I think it only takes about 1/64th to 1/32" more clearance to be safe, on my game the ball barely grazes it. You can tell it hits though as it bumps along twice on the way to the kickback and looks as though it may drop off.

What if you trimmed down a post rubber, and put it on the end of the wireform hole?

#479 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

What if you trimmed down a post rubber, and put it on the end of the wireform hole?

I thought about this or maybe a single layer of silk tape.

#480 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Change the flipper rubbers! It's not the rollovers.

Well, that didn't fix the issue. It's definitely the rollovers. If I change the coil strength I have weak flippers and air balls. I guess I'll try adjusting the switches tomorrow. I can make a ramp shot maybe 60 percent of the time. All other times it hits hard and rolls back.

#481 3 years ago

Would anybody with a hobbit be able to measure how far their rollovers stick up from the top of the playfield?

#482 3 years ago
Quoted from bdaily1983:

Well, that didn't fix the issue. It's definitely the rollovers. If I change the coil strength I have weak flippers and air balls. I guess I'll try adjusting the switches tomorrow. I can make a ramp shot maybe 60 percent of the time. All other times it hits hard and rolls back.

Dude - definitely something not right there, my rollovers do not stop any shots at all. They are low enough it would be tough to measure for u. Can you take a very low pic and post showing how high your petrudes from the playfield?

#483 3 years ago

Not sure how well this shows up but here it is.

image_(resized).jpeg

#484 3 years ago
Quoted from bdaily1983:

Not sure how well this shows up but here it is.

Yours look way too high to me. Mine are all the same. I would recommend adjusting the leaf switches underneath the playfield.

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

#485 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I need detailed instructions on how to qualify Man, Elf and Dwarf modes. Mine at the top screen seem to always stay highlighted and never shaded.

What do you mean? At the start of the game they all should be dim. Knock down a full bank of drops to spell either MAN, ELF, or DWARF. Each individual drop lights up a letter. They go dim when you start a mode that requires that qualifier.

Pretty simple.

#486 3 years ago

My Hobbit SE #960 has finally left Jersey Jack and heading to my lonely mountain. I hope to get it in a week. Pic is Smaug's new home as seen from our bedroom. I think I am one of the last of day one orders. But at one point I asked mine to be delayed as we were moving to our new place. I am beyond excited!!!!! A huge thanks to Everyone at JJ and especially LTG for taking care of us.

image_(resized).jpeg

#487 3 years ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

So, I went to HQ Beercade in Chicago tonight, specifically to play The Hobbit. Here are my thoughts and experience. First off the game is very beautiful. Nice graphics, nice trim, pretty play field, nice LCD screen. So thats nice. I put 5 bucks in, it's $1 per game. First game went well, i fact I got a replay! fun. I started to realize just like WoZ the giant screen in a big distraction. I don't have enough time to absorb what it's trying to tell me cause I am focused on the game. Then a ball gets stuck, ugh, off the left ramp where it should drop into the exit lane "arrows". Annoying. The operator comes and unsticks the ball and give me 3 credits. Nice. I start to realize the dragon is really weird. It's a head on a round spinny thing.....its weird. The ball is all over the place, too many roll overs and troll popups, the ball is a mess. Then wham! stuck ball in the same place again.....!@#$%^&$ how did this not get found during the prototype. Same story, operator comes and opens the machine and give me 3 more credits. turning into a free night of pinball. Then wham, stuck ball again, this time on top of the right spinner....Ugh. Unstuck again....then wham, wham, wham, over and over again, stuck on the left ramp before it should fall into arrows. Bleh, I'm over this one....Went and played Medieval Madness, Tron, Kiss, Metallica, Twilight Zone, Addams Family.....those were fun. Not sure i'll bother with The Hobbit again. Sorry to all of you who got one, ordered one or want one.....Not sure it's gonna be a good one at all. It was yawn when the ball wasn't stuck, and annoying when the ball continuously got stuck. I hope Stern does not do a giant LCD screen, too much going on.

Gonna go out on a limb and guess you're pretty new to pinside, rather than a douchebag, and didn't realize this is an Owner's Thread. Hate your experience was so bad, but take your post and go start your own Hobbit Review Thread. Nobody in an owner's thread is going to appreciate comments like this...

Quoted from WackyBrakke:Sorry to all of you who got one, ordered one or want one.....Not sure it's gonna be a good one at all.
Respect your opinion, but this isn't the appropriate place for it.

#488 3 years ago
Quoted from Peppers:

My Hobbit SE #960 has finally left Jersey Jack and heading to my lonely mountain. I hope to get it in a week. Pic is Smaug's new home as seen from our bedroom. I think I am one of the last of day one orders. But at one point I asked mine to be delayed as we were moving to our new place. I am beyond excited!!!!! A huge thanks to Everyone at JJ and especially LTG for taking care of us.

What a beautiful view you have!
I know you are going to love your new game, with all the testing and tweaking done on this thread you should be able to have it dialed in, in no time.

#489 3 years ago
Quoted from Peppers:

Congrats! Wow, what a view. That is awesome.

#490 3 years ago

A few items I need to adjust out of the box.

1. Plunger spring is too weak to reach the "dwarf" drop targets. Going to replace.

2. Rollovers seem too be up to high and may be causing some of the airballs. Will lower.

3. Setting the game to a 7 degree pitch resulted in the ball falling off of the far left habit rail often. I set it back to the recommended 6.5 degree setting.

Items that need to be corrected through code.

1. Shaker motor is making a bit of a squeaking sound. Others have reported this since updating to version 1.10.

Stuck balls at far left habit rail and pop ups?

I haven't seen a ball get stuck at the far left habit rail. I did have one ball get stuck in a pop up as it was coming down but a few seconds later it came out.

Update tips

1. I originally downloaded the 1.10 update file, unzipped it to my hard drive and copied it over to the my thumb drive. When attempting to update the game I got a "no update folder found" error. Turns out if you unzip the file directly to your USB thumb drive (root, nothing else on it) it will have a different folder name "hobbit_update" versus "TheHobbit_Delta_v1.10" if you unzip it to a local drive (I'm running Windows 10 btw). I'm not sure why the folder name changes based on if it's extracted to a USB thumb drive or to a local HD drive but in order for me to get the update to work I had to unzip the file from my local hard drive to the USB thumb drive.

#491 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

What do you mean? At the start of the game they all should be dim. Knock down a full bank of drops to spell either MAN, ELF, or DWARF. Each individual drop lights up a letter. They go dim when you start a mode that requires that qualifier.
Pretty simple.

Nope, when I start a game, all are highlighted. Every one of them. I will show pic today.

#492 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Nope, when I start a game, all are highlighted. Every one of them. I will show pic today.

I wonder if you have it defaulting to an EASY mode... maybe the setting was from an earlier build. Check your settings.

#493 3 years ago
Quoted from ninjedi:

I wonder if you have it defaulting to an EASY mode... maybe the setting was from an earlier build. Check your settings.

Very true.

#494 3 years ago

Does anyone know if a leaf adjustment tool is required to lower the rollover targets?

Thanks!

#495 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Does anyone know if a leaf adjustment tool is required to lower the rollover targets?
Thanks!

No, you can easily do it with a flat blade screwdriver if you have experience.

#496 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thanks!

Doubt it's required. It sure would be helpful. You look at where they are located yet? Right in the mess of the beast pop ups. Pretty hard to get to. Hoping to be able to fix mine tonight.

#497 3 years ago
Quoted from Peppers:

I am envious. All I get to look at is an amusement park (Kings Island).

seeker3_(resized).JPG

#498 3 years ago
Quoted from Peppers:

Awesome view !! Beats mine.. Here's looking out from my gameroom where TH resides

image_(resized).jpeg

#499 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

A few items I need to adjust out of the box.
1. Plunger spring is too weak to reach the "dwarf" drop targets. Going to replace.
2. Rollovers seem too be up to high and may be causing some of the airballs. Will lower.
3. Setting the game to a 7 degree pitch resulted in the ball falling off of the far left habit rail often. I set it back to the recommended 6.5 degree setting.
Items that need to be corrected through code.
1. Shaker motor is making a bit of a squeaking sound. Others have reported this since updating to version 1.10.
Stuck balls at far left habit rail and pop ups?
I haven't seen a ball get stuck at the far left habit rail. I did have one ball get stuck in a pop up as it was coming down but a few seconds later it came out.
Update tips
1. I originally downloaded the 1.10 update file, unzipped it to my hard drive and copied it over to the my thumb drive. When attempting to update the game I got a "no update folder found" error. Turns out if you unzip the file directly to your USB thumb drive (root, nothing else on it) it will have a different folder name "hobbit_update" versus "TheHobbit_Delta_v1.10" if you unzip it to a local drive (I'm running Windows 10 btw). I'm not sure why the folder name changes based on if it's extracted to a USB thumb drive or to a local HD drive but in order for me to get the update to work I had to unzip the file from my local hard drive to the USB thumb drive.

Put shaker on "extreme" for now. It fixed it for me and no crazy extreme shaking. It's still pretty minimal.

#500 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Put shaker on "extreme" for now. It fixed it for me and no crazy extreme shaking. It's still pretty minimal.

Thanks for the tip! Will do.

I ended up ordering a "purple" rated plunger spring for the game. I think that will help with a full plunge not being able to hit the dwarf targets on my game. Also ordered some green Perfect Play flipper bands that I think will look pretty slick.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Portage, IN
$ 11.95
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 7828 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 157.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside