Topic poll

“Are you Happy about owning The Hobbit?”

• Yes 118 votes
    73%
  • No 44 votes
    27%

(162 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpg
bill-cosby-141116-wide_(resized).jpg

There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 3 years ago

I haven't been following TH. Considering it. Started to read through this sub and would like to cut through the back n forth...

I would like current owners to vote simply wether you are happy that you purchased and currently own and are playing it or if you are regretful.

Maybe a succinct comment stating how many games/how long you've had in your house and the major decider for your vote.

I'm no forum cop but let's leave the debate on wether it's good or not for the other 10k threads...

Thank you for aiding my research.

#2 3 years ago

Yes. Great build quality, frequent and substantial code updates, loaded game, amazing audio, etc. Its awesome!

#3 3 years ago

Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing whether the respondents to your poll are actually Hobbit owners. I personally cancelled my order, so I will not be voting regardless of my reason why.

#4 3 years ago

Wow. Only owned for 3 days but this game is great. Very happy with my pin after the wait.

#5 3 years ago

I have played it more in a couple of weeks than I played my GOT Prem in 6 months.

Can't wait to get finished code but will enjoy it as is while I wait.

#6 3 years ago

No schadenfreude here. I am thrilled that owners love the game. Different strokes for different folks.

#7 3 years ago

I call pure bullshit on anyone who votes "no" in your poll. If you own Hobbit, the only question is whether it's the greatest pin of all time, or a close second. It's that majestic - and pure fun!

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

I call pure bullshit on anyone who votes "no" in your poll. If you own Hobbit, the only question is whether it's the greatest pin of all time, or a close second. It's that majestic - and pure fun!

Not going to agree with you on this. First, too much of a generality, and more importantly ... I know someone that would not rate it within the top ten pins in their collection. And yes, they own one.

I really wish I liked it more.

#9 3 years ago

I own the game and like it a lot. It's not in the top 10 of my pins right now due to the software being extremely unfinished.

#10 3 years ago

I love mine! Zero regrets, that's for sure. Really looking forward to additional code updates by Keith.

Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

Hyperbole much?

#11 3 years ago

We have really enjoyed Hobbit it has been in the lineup for four months now and it is still getting the most play of any game we have . Watching the code evolve is awesome it's like playing a new game with every update I really am not concerned about finished code I hope Keith keeps adding more goodness to it for a good long while.

#12 3 years ago

Cancelled order in May 2014, bit am open to the game in the future.

I'm curious to see how this thread plays out. Consider my reply a bookmark. No vote from me, I can read.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I own the game and like it a lot. It's not in the top 10 of my pins right now due to the software being extremely unfinished.

I don't understand this at all.

I love Keith code and am sure it will be superior, but, WHY isn't the code farther along today?

Wtf is going on? Keith and Ted are full time employees right?

Haven't had enough time? I don't get it.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

I really wish I liked it more.

I really wish I liked Stern more, but I don't. Like you said, different strokes for different folks. By the way, I love the hobbit. Fantastic game. Well worth it to me.

#15 3 years ago

Had it for a week, absolutely love it. Its my kids all time favorite pin we've owned (and I've owned some good ones, IM, SM, TOM, MM, ACDC Prem, Met Prem, WH20) As long as the software updates come the way they did for Woz, I think it will be a permanent keeper in our home.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

This is fair. I can't wait for the updates because I feel like I've mastered it in the current state after 1 week. But i am 100% sure we've only pealed a few layers on this onion, Keith should make this epic. He certainly did that with Woz!

#17 3 years ago

I installed my first troll ball hang up fix. Worst part is getting by all the cables to screw the assemblies back in. The fix also helps disperse the light better. Love it

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from pinaholic:

I installed my first troll ball hang up fix. Worst part is getting by all the cables to screw the assemblies back in. The fix also helps disperse the light better. Love it

How did u get these?

#19 3 years ago

If you are having the issue, call Frank, or Ken and ask them.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from pinaholic:

If you are having the issue, call Frank, or Ken and ask them.

I did call Frank and he said they are not available yet. I just waneed to know where did u get yours?

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I love Keith code and am sure it will be superior, but, WHY isn't the code farther along today?

Yeah, I have thought about this as well. There really is no reason why the machine wouldn't be very close to being finished regardless of how deep the code is. I know they have said its got 31 modes, all with its own rules, LCD animations, etc....but still.

If they can pump out updates once a month then there was no way they touched hobbit software for at least a year before it came out. Maybe they where contracted and not working at all? I don't know.
It's either that or maybe its a weird marketing tactic? Keep updating once a month for 12 months and a game announced almost 4 years ago is consistently being talked about.
If it came out complete (kind of like ghostbusters) then I guess people would sell them if they didn't like it? If they don't like it but there are many updates to come then it slows down the second hand market? I am currently in that position with AMH, don't think its a keeper but will wait for the final update.

Bit far fetched but without 1 of those 2 excuses it doesn't make sense.

#22 3 years ago

Cancelled my order, no regrets. Wasn't happy with what I saw. Maybe in a couple years when it's finished I might pick one up.

#23 3 years ago

Yes, my entire family loves th. It gets the most play in a line up including woz, metallica, and acdc premium. It really is different. A few minor hiccups and adjustments were needed out of the box, but it's solid after that. Best build quality you will find period. It is simply stunning and way different than anything else you'll find.
As for code concerns, it's getting better every time it's updated. Still lots to do with code, but you can see where it's heading. I think work on the code stalled while they were looking for investors. Woz is absolutely awesome, and hobbit is coming into its own quickly now. Buy it now, set it up to play fast, and enjoy the journey.

#24 3 years ago

Had about 4 months as well. It still gets the most play. Not sure about the greatest of all time but the game is fun. And amazingly keeps me interested. I thought the layout might be a bit of a problem but the code really does make every mode feel way different.
I likey !!!!!

#25 3 years ago

Anyone else have the troll plastic mechs installed for ball hang ups? If so, where did u get them?

#26 3 years ago

Skyemont you can 3d print it yourself or buy from markmon of you can't wait for it free

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Wel it probably takes 4 man years to develop a game of this caliber with all the animations etc. Maybe Keith is mostly alone on the project.

#28 3 years ago

Go play it forchristsakes!

The pictures didn't much interest me, and then on a whim I went and played it locally and was blown away.

The entire package (sound, art, video, gameplay) makes current Stern games look like pinball relics. It's like comparing 8 bit NES to Nintendo 64.

I really hope JJP can get their stuff together and Make Pinball Great Again!

#29 3 years ago

Voted yes. Had my SE for about a month.

Agreed the code is still in its infancy. But what's already there is fantastic and what's most likely coming is nothing short of incredible.

Very, very pleased with all aspects of the game! Glad I stayed in and didn't bail.

#30 3 years ago

Yes... no regrets. It's a good pin if you have others that compliment your collection. The play is unique but would get boring if it was the only pin you had.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Cancelled my order, no regrets. Wasn't happy with what I saw. Maybe in a couple years when it's finished I might pick one up.

Maybe you missed the topic? "Hobbit Owners ONLY".

#32 3 years ago

I see troll votes in there. Not one comment from an unhappy person. They don't want to identify themselves as non-owners...

#33 3 years ago

This game seems to be proof positive that this hobby is now for the homeowner and not the operator. When I was at Marvin's yesterday in Michigan, 3 balls got stuck over the course of 2 games. And none of them were in places that a ball search could do anything. In the first game, it got stuck in one of the pop up targets. In the second game, it fell off the left cross ramp and onto the pops. Because of the rubbery objects on top of the pops, the search did not wiggle it free. And the third one was on the left ball return wireform. The ball went off the track and got wedged. The attendant was very nice, but said that it happens "all the time".

#34 3 years ago

My TH was very early build. I have had it now for 2 months. I have a classic 16 game collection. ( MM, TAFG, TOTAN, CV, TZ, IJ, SS, TOM, CP, FT,WW, NGG, ect...) this machine is on or exceeds the level any of my games. The one unique thing about having the code progress as I own the machine is watching and experiencing how the game changes with each up date. This is special to me because I am EET and EMT (Electronics Engineering Technology) My Love is the interrelationship between software and hardware and you get to see it real time in Pinball. So bring on the code changes. Very happy with the game highly recommend purchasing.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

Go play it forchristsakes!
The pictures didn't much interest me, and then on a whim I went and played it locally and was blown away.
The entire package (sound, art, video, gameplay) makes current Stern games look like pinball relics. It's like comparing 8 bit NES to Nintendo 64.
I really hope JJP can get their stuff together and Make Pinball Great Again!

did you play the one in Madison?

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I own the game as well and don't think that the software is extremely unfinished. Is it unfinished? Yes but theres already a lot to do in the game, more then most modern Stern games with completed code.

Keith and Ted have already released 3 substantial code updates in 3 months since the game started to ship. Now thats impressive. JJP is offering the best code support in pinball. I think another update will be released soon.

Like others have said I thought that the code would have been more further along by the time of its release but at least the updates are being cranked out now.

#37 3 years ago

I was on the other side of the fence with this one, hated it at JJP open houses and just couldn't get into it. A friend of mine had one so i played it liked it but not fully sold on it. i went ahead and made a trade for one and spending some time with it has changed my opinion . All I can say is Whats not to like! Honestly other pins fail in comparison JJP has hit a home run with this one!
I guess its all about the CODE.

#38 3 years ago

I think the game is great and most likely going to get much better with each code update. I hope that Keith and Ted will take a couple of the current modes and have less of the pop ups being activated. There is too much popup action. I just want to be able to aim and shoot at some targets without all the blocking. It would be nice to just have some flow going on which this pin is capable of.

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

did you play the one in Madison?

No, I really need to get up there ASAP! To play FT and Spiderman also.

There's a Hobbit at Sunset Bowl in Waukesha. Is that not on the Pinmap? If not, I'd better add it. (After I go hog it for a few more hours of course.)

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

I haven't been following TH. Considering it. Started to read through this sub and would like to cut through the back n forth...
I would like current owners to vote simply wether you are happy that you purchased and currently own and are playing it or if you are regretful.
Maybe a succinct comment stating how many games/how long you've had in your house and the major decider for your vote.
I'm no forum cop but let's leave the debate on wether it's good or not for the other 10k threads...
Thank you for aiding my research.

You're asking hobbit owners, most who have preordered 4 years ago, and most who thought TH was the best game ever in 2012, for their opinion. What do you think the results are going to show?
You want an honest non biased opionion, ignore the poll and go play one for yourself.

#41 3 years ago

Got mine yesterday, we love it! It had the beast inserts and new wire form. Big hit with the family

#42 3 years ago

Thanks all, this all helps.

And no worries the haters and non owners are easy to spot in here. Even when you ask politely they just can't help themselves...such is the interwebs.

Like another poster said...no one who voted no made a comment because they don't want to be outed as a non owner.

I couldn't possibly care less what someone who does not or has not owned this machine has to say. Just. Not. Interested.

In ownership happiness is king and it seems the actual owners are really happy.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Got mine yesterday, we love it! It had the beast inserts and new wire form. Big hit with the family

Where are all the pictures? Did you mount that smaug head on top?

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Where are all the pictures? Did you mount that smaug head on top?

LOL

I didn't - I just put him on a bookshelf. But I will take some close ups of the new beast inserts - they are a bit different than the 3d printers I saw earlier. They appear to all have the slit in the middle - not just for the warg. I guess it is just easier to have them all the same. wire forms seem solid - no issues with them yet. Game is harder than I remember when playing in Raleigh - and I can't get Into the Fire yet

#45 3 years ago

Could you take a picture of the underside of the beast inserts as well? Are they split in 2 all the way through or join up at the bottom?

#46 3 years ago

I love my Hobbit machine! Had to do quite a bit of tweaking to get it to play the way I prefer, but its awesome. At this point I have seen pretty much the whole game, so I am just awaiting more code before I start hammering away on it more. All good, its a great game as is- just excited to see what else Keith has in store, including adding more Arkenstone modes and music, sounds, mode completion bonuses, etc.

#47 3 years ago

I heard code 1.30 is coming soon.

#48 3 years ago

I have a real hard time believing 19 actual Hobbit owners voted they weren't happy...

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I have a real hard time believing 19 actual Hobbit owners voted they weren't happy...

Especially when not one of them actually posted in the thread.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
New York, NY
There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside