You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif
IMG_3001 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

As an owner of met, woz, and TH I can give my unbiased opinion. Metallica pro is awesome. Best bang for buck of all sterns IMO. Love it. That said, after I have a blast playing it for awhile and admire it's full beauty, I go over to the jjp games and it suddenly feels like metallica isn't even close in any form or fashion other than just being fun. Not knocking sterns, but man the details, looks, quality and depth of gameplay on both of jjps blow stern away. Since owning jjps pins, I basically only play my sterns when I want a fast play due to time limitations or simply to change things up. The jjp games have so much more to go for and work towards. I'll probably never sell my metallica or acdc, but they would go before either jjp for me. Not to mention the amount of attention/play the jjps get compared to my sterns at my parties. Price is high obviously, but I can see why they cost more than a stern. Now of course, I will buy another stern once they announce star wars. Lol. Woz over hobbit btw due to its the total package you'll probably never see again in a new pin.

I also own a Hobbit & a few Sterns. It all comes down to what style of game you prefer. I've always preferred a more fast risk/reward style of gameplay over the 45min to an hour that certain games can give you. Give me what ACDC, Met & TWD can offer any day of the week over what the Hobbit and other similar style games give a player.

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I also own a Hobbit & a few Sterns. It all comes down to what style of game you prefer. I've always preferred a more fast risk/reward style of gameplay over the 45min to an hour that certain games can give you.

True, but for casual players, or people that are very new to pinball the Hobbit is more like a 3 minutes game. When people that come over to play my hobbit they love the game, and appreciate that the game is trying to help them - but they still have rather short games.

#53 7 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Give me what ACDC, Met & TWD can offer any day of the week

If you ever get past the theme, you should give WOZ a real hard look because this is exactly what it offers...at least thats been my experience with it so far. Brutal gameplay, lots of flipper action, tons of stacking potential, lots of risk/reward, very creative code.

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I also own a Hobbit & a few Sterns. It all comes down to what style of game you prefer. I've always preferred a more fast risk/reward style of gameplay over the 45min to an hour that certain games can give you. Give me what ACDC, Met & TWD can offer any day of the week over what the Hobbit and other similar style games give a player.

Like I said, I own 2 fast sterns with my metallica and acdc and love them. The Change of pace though to my 2 amazing jjp games is a very welcome change. It's all about personal preference. I like both styles of play. I'm simply saying though that the jjp games are nicer tables, and deeper gameplay. That doesn't take away from my sterns. Both metallica and acdc are two all time great tables IMO, but so are the jjps. It really is just personal preference and each player needs to try a table before making such an expensive purchase. PS. I really like twd to.

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Like I said, I own 2 fast sterns with my metallica and acdc and love them. The Change of pace though to my 2 amazing jjp games is a very welcome change. It's all about personal preference. I like both styles of play. I'm simply saying though that the jjp games are nicer tables, and deeper gameplay. That doesn't take away from my sterns. Both metallica and acdc are two all time great tables IMO, but so are the jjps. It really is just personal preference and each player needs to try a table before making such an expensive purchase. PS. I really like twd to.

I agree 100%. I have nearly the same games except the TH does not arrive until tomorrow

#56 7 years ago

Woz and (in my opinion) it's not even close

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

If you ever get past the theme, you should give WOZ a real hard look because this is exactly what it offers...at least thats been my experience with it so far. Brutal gameplay, lots of flipper action, tons of stacking potential, lots of risk/reward, very creative code.

Played it a few times. Layout didn't do anything for me nor the Munchkin mini PF. I'm sure there is a lot going on but never felt like a game I enjoyed playing.

#59 7 years ago

I have had WOZ for a while and just got TH. First off, WOZ is a great machine. As to the TH I am in the honeymoon phase but man it is good and the code still has a way to go!

#60 7 years ago

I've played a bunch more games on TH since my last post and .... it's still currently WOZ for me.

#61 7 years ago

Owner of both here. WoZ is far superior.

#62 7 years ago

Good info I was debating Woz or TH next.

#63 7 years ago

I love WOZ. I own it. I think the code is great.

Lately, I've been watching Hobbit videos, especially this one:

The code there looks fantastic as well. It has me salivating for another JJP pin. Wish I could win the lottery.

I doubt you could go wrong with either pin.

#64 7 years ago

I like the look of WOZ better and so much details but gameplay is slow and boring. Hobbit is much more fast paced compared to WOZ, more flow, and has ramps but might be just too much open on playfield. I hope JJP #3 steals the show.

#65 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Bingo. Exactly how I feel. Yes, I do have an overall preference for the shorter ball time games that are more "in your face" like IM, TWD, AC/DC etc. but I was actually getting a bit bored and in a rut after having too many pins in that style. Hobbit is exactly the change of pace that I was looking for to change things up a bit in my lineup, and I am very glad that I did. Still loving the pin and am looking forward to the next update.

Quoted from smassa:

Played it a few times. Layout didn't do anything for me nor the Munchkin mini PF. I'm sure there is a lot going on but never felt like a game I enjoyed playing.

Same for me. I don't like mini PF's in general and WOZ has two. I've played WOZ enough to know that it isn't something that I would like at home. I could talk about the lack of satisfying shots etc. but in the end it comes down to mostly not liking the mini pf's and not caring for the theme at all. The music and sounds drive me insane, especially the witch and her shrieking.

#66 7 years ago

I'm debating on selling a few Ballys/Williams in my collection to fund a Hobbit.It would look great in the middle of Lotr and Wozecle.
I too am salivating to own one after playing the OP's!

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from Elevatorman:

I'm debating on selling a few Ballys/Williams in my collection to fund a Hobbit.It would look great in the middle of Lotr and Wozecle.

Ahhhhh yes it will!!! The killer 3 some lol!

IMG_3001 (resized).JPGIMG_3001 (resized).JPG

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from Elevatorman:

Do it!!! You won't regret it!

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I like the look of WOZ better and so much details but gameplay is slow and boring. Hobbit is much more fast paced compared to WOZ, more flow, and has ramps but might be just too much open on playfield. I hope JJP #3 steals the show.

I recommend playing one setup properly then. I have played a couple that were setup that way and yes they will put you to sleep. Put it on a 7 degree slope with factory settings on the current software and the game flys. Get into the rules and stack a few modes and the game goes insane keeping you tracking balls and shots on both upper and the main playfield with a lightshow like no other.

3 weeks later
#70 7 years ago

Both are mint , completely different play

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Ahhhhh yes it will!!! The killer 3 some lol!

"Honey I'm going to play just 3 games of pinball."

[4 hours 23 minutes later]

#72 7 years ago

It really is about personal preference and making sure the game is setup. I posted about this several months ago, but had a chance to play GB, WOZ, and TH side by side for the first time. Kind of like xmas morning. I expected to like TH the best, but ended up not caring for it. Maybe my opinion will change, but just didn't like the open playfield and pop ups. I expected to not like WOZ, but really liked it and just picked one up. I enjoy LOTR more than TH, and with a GoT already in my collection, I don't see TH being something I go after anytime soon. That said, I could completely see how someone would prefer TH.

1 week later
#73 7 years ago

I'm curious if the updated TH 1.9 code has changed anybody's mind who previously picked WOZ in this thread? It seems that many are voting for WOZ because of pf toys and layout, so I understand that code won't change that. But has the updated code for TH improved the popups during gameplay or otherwise elevated anyone's opinion of TH. My gut tells me that it won't make a diffeeence for whether you like WOZ or TH better, but interested to hear from others.

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

I'm curious if the updated TH 1.9 code has changed anybody's mind who previously picked WOZ in this thread? It seems that many are voting for WOZ because of pf toys and layout, so I understand that code won't change that. But has the updated code for TH improved the popups during gameplay or otherwise elevated anyone's opinion of TH. My gut tells me that it won't make a diffeeence for whether you like WOZ or TH better, but interested to hear from others.

I can't say vs OZ, because I haven't had an OZ for a few years when the code wasn't nearly complete but I will say this.

Since the code update, I have revisited this game several times and come to the conclusion that the game is incredible. The multi-ball modes are among the most insane flipper frenzy/light show to ever be put into a pinball machine. The modes are well thought out and there are plenty. I am still trying to get them all but still had 7 to do in an epic game. The amount of modes alone put this game at the top level as far as depth.
Then you have the 3 mini wizard modes/multiballs. The intro to each one gets me every time. Not only are the animations awesome and whip you right into the action, but the sound effects are all top notch. For instance, the way Barrel Mode starts and the sounds the drops and pop bumpers make (A wooshing water sound) all top notch stuff.

I had this game listed for sale or trade for an original MM, and at this point I really don't care if that trade happens. This game is really something else, there's nothing quite like it.

#75 7 years ago

Hobbit and it isn't even close and it is much better then dialed in too

#76 7 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I had this game listed for sale or trade for an original MM, and at this point I really don't care if that trade happens. This game is really something else, there's nothing quite like it.

Keep TH and cancel your trade for MM ad. TH kills for every reason you listed above. It will continue to improve with fine-tuning and polishing. I can't very well call TH the best coded-a/v pinball game ever created, when I know very well, that six months from now, it will be the best coded-a/v pinball game ever written ... but ...

Compare what it takes it you to play your best game of MM and to finish it and win. Now imagine how you'd need to play TH to finish it and win. .... Hold onto a good thing and you'll probably grow to love it dearly.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.giftim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

#77 7 years ago

I own both. I believe the hobbit is much better than WOZ. In fact I enjoy it even more than my MM and MB.

#78 7 years ago

Please add a poll!

#79 7 years ago

I have mostly Stern + Williams games and when I play a JJP game it's just an entirely different experience. Welcome to 2016. The build quality, animation, sound quality & effects, light shows, gameplay, strategy & ruleset, customizability...I could go on.

The Hobbit is a journey game with timed mini games & 3 wizard modes. It's a player's game. It's a battle of armies with beasts and dragons.

WOZ, on the other hand, is a beautiful game that belongs in every pinball collection. It is a work of art, full of toys and other wizardry. The colors a wonderful.

I went to expo recently for the first time (This is also my first post on pinside) and played Dialed In & met Pat Lawlor. The man is a genius. The game looks & plays incredible. He's a legend. I hope he does another game for JJP.

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Yes - the code upgrade definitely improved the game. It actually feels complete now. More balanced, new achievements. Everyone should upgrade their software if they haven't already. Still love my woz though

#81 7 years ago

I still like my woz better than my hobbit. Theme is better on TH, but game is better on woz. In my opinion.

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I still like my woz better than my hobbit. Theme is better on TH, but game is better on woz. In my opinion.

I agree with this. Before I played either, I thought I'd hate WOZ and love TH, but it was the other way around. It's not that I hate TH, just can't really get into it. I've owned my WOZ for a few weeks and happy with it. Got a chance to play TH on free play at the Silverball Museum in FL (very cool place). Still couldn't get into it. Ill keep trying it, though.

#83 7 years ago

I have played both a good amount. They are both fantastic. TH is more my style of theme so I ended up buying it over WOZ. Whichever theme pulls you in more will be the one you probably like more.

#84 7 years ago

WoZ is an absolutely incredible game. I would love to own one, but I've been a little shy due to the ones my friends have owned having regular breakdowns. I hear that they're more reliable now.

I've tried really, really hard to like The Hobbit. The layout is just a stinker and it's even more of a maintenance nightmare than any other modern game. It's amazing to look at, but leaves plenty to be desired in gameplay.

#85 7 years ago

I own a later build (dec 2015) WOZ and its been perfectly fine. Such a fantastic game!

#86 7 years ago

I own both and love them both for different reasons! Maintenance nightmare??? Not even close for me compared to an older machine that each time you open it up another old soldier joint comes loose and out comes the soldiering iron again lol! Good luck you will enjoy either

#87 7 years ago

WOZ isn't a maintenance nightmare. I have an older, 2014 model early 7.5 volt. I have had a few things go but nothing all that big. Mine has ~7k plays on it now. I have had it on location for the last 6 months. Biggest regular issues have been broken rubbers and the damn coin mech.

As to WOZ vs TH I have both and it is a tough call and I am not sure if I am ready to pick one over the other yet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 5.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-or-woz/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.