You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).PNG
89FBF432-B919-416A-A861-3A019DD57412 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9780 (resized).jpg

#1 6 months ago

Have a few issues with the Hobbit, the most pressing is this (not booting) following a full install:

IMG_9780 (resized).jpg

I think this is because during the install, the file system was reformatting which changed the UUID (so the /etc/fstab can't find the correct one). From memory, I need to get into a root command, run blkid to get the new UUID, and then nano the /etc/fstab file to update it to the correct (new) UUID. The issue? Can't find the root password for the Hobbit anywhere in the manual.

Some other issues I'm working through, tips appreciated:

1) The autoplunger isn't working and the coil doesn't fire in coil test (when I could test it prior to trying the update). I haven't yet measured any voltages.

2) A screw fell out of the small metal rod on the (E)LF drop targets and it's hanging loose. Thus, the E target isn't testing or resetting correctly. I'm assuming I need to remove and reassemble that.

3) The far right standup target appears to be bad. I was hoping that was an easy swap, but it appears it's one large mech. I did a quick search and didn't see any forum posts on replacing it. Any tips? It looks like a hassle.

4) The dragon isn't rotating or moving his mouth. It rotates freely by hand. I'm assuming that's a motor of some sort, but no troubleshooting yet.

5) The Orc popup was showing in error and not coming up. Turned out to be an easy solve as the leaf switch was permanently closed. However, the screws that hold the orc onto the switch were also missing. Hassle to get those on without taking the whole thing apart, but this one is fixed! (One down, four to go.)

Tips welcome and appreciated!

#2 6 months ago

One more down. Decided to retry the update with a 16GB flash drive. Following the update, the game is once again booting up.

#3 6 months ago
Quoted from wilsonza:

2) A screw fell out of the small metal rod on the (E)LF drop targets and it's hanging loose. Thus, the E target isn't testing or resetting correctly. I'm assuming I need to remove and reassemble that.

It won't fix itself.

Quoted from wilsonza:

1) The autoplunger isn't working and the coil doesn't fire in coil test (when I could test it prior to trying the update). I haven't yet measured any voltages.

Any other coils not working ? Check it's fuse. If just that one, go over solder joints at the lugs for broken wires, broken or cracked windings from the coil, and bad solder joint.

Quoted from wilsonza:

3) The far right standup target appears to be bad. I was hoping that was an easy swap, but it appears it's one large mech. I did a quick search and didn't see any forum posts on replacing it. Any tips? It looks like a hassle.

Screws and connectors. Remove and go over it. Look for broken wires there at at other switches close together on the same row and column in the switch matrix.

LTG : )

#4 6 months ago

Thanks LTG! Making good progress.

Disassembled the Elf mech, reassembled (with the missing screws) and all good now.

Took the five target bank down, noticed a broken wire, resoldered it, and back in business.

Traced the auto plunger back to the board where one of the connector pins had come loose. Repinned the connector, reseated it, and back in business.

Noticed during coil tests that both of the spotlight flashers had melted their caps and were not working. Only have 13v flashers on hand, and they didn’t work. So that will have to wait. Picture:

89FBF432-B919-416A-A861-3A019DD57412 (resized).jpeg

Finally, started on the Smaug mech. Totally dead for rotation and mouth movement. Tested F709 to be good (removed from the board) and inspected J109 (also appears to be fine). Decided to power it off and replace the Cat-5 cable with a spare PC cable, but still dead. However, my GI and insert lights are now all off so I’m assuming I knocked something loose from the BAG board.

Work continues and ideas welcome!

#5 6 months ago

Inserts and GI turned out to be the USB cable on the BAG board. Reseated it and good to go. The good news is that the game is now fully playable with just the Smaug mech and spotlights outstanding.

Getting closer!

#6 6 months ago
Quoted from wilsonza:

Work continues and ideas welcome!

Search this thread for Smaug fixes. Upper right side has a search box for just this thread.

LTG : )

#7 6 months ago

Thanks LTG, I did try that initially by searching Tech: LCD Era, topics linked to Hobbit w/ "Smaug" in them. Only two came back, both without any solutions:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/search?s=1&what=topics&q=smaug&topic-machine=The+Hobbit&machinelink_2177=2177&pinsider=&age_days=&subforum=103&sort_by=date&sort_order=DESC#results

But I'll expand the search and I'm sure I'll be able to zero in on the issue!

In the meantime, tips (on Smaug or searching) welcome!

#8 6 months ago

Another one down. I was focused on J109 since I had issues with spotlights and the motor, but everything looked good. Then I realized the playfield connector was unhooked from the back of the computer. However, another (the J19 connector controlling the Windlance, MAN targets, etc)) was plugged into it's slot (J18) and correctly pinned. J19 was blank and was correctly pinned for the yellow/blue connector. I'm not sure if mine was incorrectly configured at the factory or some previous replacement, but plugging it into J19 has me back in business, including the spotlight 12v spotlights now on.

Capture (resized).PNG

Only outstanding issue now is the Smaug mouth, and I see a number of forum topics and the manual section related to the bad servo. Now to find one in stock and go through the replacement. Looks like this one is workable but out of stock.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingtm-hk15288a-analog-servo-bb-mg-9kg-0-20sec-51g.html

1 week later
#9 5 months ago

I replaced with a tactic tsx45 servo which also appears to be discontinued but available on ebay... If the servo froze up and the game kept trying to move it...there is also a good chance you have damage on the driver board for it (circular board that goes around the smaug assembly). I would inspect that too.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside