hobbit_gold_flipper_topper_(4)_(resized).JPG
hobbit_gold_flipper_topper_(3)_(resized).JPG
hobbit_gold_flipper_topper_(2)_(resized).JPG
hobbit_gold_flipper_topper_(1)_(resized).JPG
smaug_001_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider docdeath.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

Hoping to get the call in the very near future...
In the meantime, where are all the Hobbit mods? Topper? Anything? I need something to tide me over...
So far, I've got lighted flipper buttons (yellow) and that's it. Really hoping for a bad-assed topper and other cool bits. Also going to check out the gameblades / pinblades.

Lighted flipper buttons use a 12v source. What source in TH did you use?

#27 7 years ago

Photo of my Hobbit topper to be installed when game shipped. I will LED it's base.

smaug_001_(resized).JPGsmaug_001_(resized).JPG

1 week later
#41 7 years ago
Quoted from ExtremePinball:

I install a separate 12v 5A power supply on all of my Stern & JJP games to power my aftermarket LED mods. I buy them in lots of 10 on eBay for $62.00 ($6.20ea). For the new Stern Spark, I use the 110v DBA cord to fuel the 12v power supply, then mount it at the bottom of the cabinet to the right of the speaker. On JJP, I just tap into the extensive 110v wiring located on the right of the main board box in the bottom of the cabinet.

On eBay, there are many 12v 5A power supplies to choose from. Which one? Can you hook up the power supply to a Pinballlife 8 way 5v12v splitter? I'm not an electrical genius! I want a complete external power supply so TH warranty isn't voided, i.e., the 12v 5A power supply is plugged into an external wall outlet and it's lead is connected to power the 8 way 5v12v splitter. Does this make any sense?

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

On eBay, there are many 12v 5A power supplies to choose from. Which one? Can you hook up the power supply to a Pinballlife 8 way 5v12v splitter? I'm not an electrical genius! I want a complete external power supply so TH warranty isn't voided, i.e., the 12v 5A power supply is plugged into an external wall outlet and it's lead is connected to power the 8 way 5v12v splitter. Does this make any sense?

The mods I plan to install are lighted flipper buttons (12v), lighted leg protectors (5v), lighted shooter rod housing (12v), under cabinet lighting (12v), lighted back box speaker panels (12v), lighted flashing shooter rod (12v), and either 5v or 12v spotlights/LED strips for my smaug topper.

#45 7 years ago

I install a separate 12v 5A power supply on all of my Stern & JJP games to power my aftermarket LED mods. I buy them in lots of 10 on eBay for $62.00 ($6.20ea). For the new Stern Spark, I use the 110v DBA cord to fuel the 12v power supply, then mount it at the bottom of the cabinet to the right of the speaker. On JJP, I just tap into the extensive 110v wiring located on the right of the main board box in the bottom of the cabinet.

For each 12v LED mod, do you have to have a separate 12v 5A power supply, or can you run multiple 12v leads from a single power supply? For my 5v mods (e.g., using 555 LED bulbs or 6.3 v LED strips from commetpinball), I'll need a separate 5v power supply. What "A" do I purchase: 3A, 6A, etc. ? Would it be possible to have a 110v power cord to fuel the 12v power supply and have it power the 8 way Pinballlife splitter? You would have 8 Molex connections for 12v LED mods. You could then do the same with a separate 5v system.

#48 7 years ago

The 12v power supply that I've been using for the last couple of years is eBay item number: 181719390201
Just select the type & quantity. I use the 12v/5A and purchase in quantities of 10.

This power supply will handle multiple 12v mods, so yes, you can hook up the 8 way splitter.
I don't operate 5v mods, so I haven't really researched it. Two options: Purchase a separate 5v power supply, and run off of that. Or purchase a standard arcade SMPS that has 5v & 12v, such as: eBay item number: 121795917592

I emailed Paul, the vender for eBay item #121795917592: New Arcade Power Supply 16A + 5v + 12v and -5v, inquiring about multiple 5v and12v leads from the unit for external TH 12v & 5v mods. From that unit, I plan to power an 8-way 5v/12v Pinballlife splitter board. I asked Paul is that's OK/safe. His response: "It depends on the amperage your mods pull but generally gi type led bulb is only going to pull maybe 40mA. 25 bulbs = 1 Amp. You should not have any problem at all running 8 different led mods. The thicker 18ga wire will also reduce resistance in the wire. The -5vdc site on the unit is usually only used on video games with separate sound boards."

It looks like the same goes for the eBay item # 181719390201, the 12v only power supply.

It looks like I'm good to go with my TH mods using an external power source without fear of voiding JJP's warranty!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods
Other
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 25.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider docdeath.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-mods-im-way-too-anxious?tu=docdeath and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.