• Hobbit LE for the win 54 votes
    38%
  • Metallica Pro for the win 87 votes
    62%

(141 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 2 years ago

Hobbit is the only game I’ve bought and sold that I’d never want back or even to play again. F*ck Hobbits and Smaug.
I had A Metallica Pro the longest of any of my games and the only reason I sold was because I want a premium/LE.

#52 2 years ago

Metallica - I have owned it twice (LE and pro). Only down point is that it can feel like chopping wood!

#53 2 years ago

Sounds like you're ready to move on,sell the Metallica and get something else. Go out and try a bunch of new games,and see what you like best. If you still think you want a Hobbit,then get your wallet out,and buy one.

#54 2 years ago

I’ve owned both, still own Hobbit. If I had the chance to pickup a MET again, yep I’d do it. MET is fun, kinda was a keeper, but nobody played it but me and I got tired of it. I’ve kept Hobbit because it’s so different from any other pin I own. The rush felt when playing the mini wizard modes or killing Smaug is indescribable. Is it a long playing game? yes! Is it played by the whole family when others in the collection are may not be? Yes! I think Hobbits will become those pins that were poopoo’d early and gain notoriety after more people continue to experience it’s greatness. My vote would be Hobbit.

#55 2 years ago
Quoted from MMGB:

I think Hobbits will become those pins that were poopoo’d early and gain notoriety after more people continue to experience it’s greatness. My vote would be Hobbit.

It's already happening!

#56 2 years ago

Have owned a pro and premium MET previously and I eventually got tired of it and sold it, didn’t think I’d miss it as I played it to death over the course of 5 years.

Then I played another pro recently at a tournament and am really missing it.

Hobbit is floaty and dull, easily JJP’s worst game.

Keep the MET.

#57 2 years ago

Since you own Star Trek pre which I love as fast fun and shots all flow together so good on the game. One of my favorite Stern games for sure. As for the other game I like the Metallica premium more due to the features but game kicks my butt at times unlike Star Trek which more friendly. I like Iron Maiden music more and the pin is pure fun if you think about that game, just wish more in it like the toys or features in Metallica. If you want something completely different then Hobbit it would be but can’t seem to get the great flow in a JJP game but great to look at with it features. If not Jurassic park has a ton in it with features too might try.I am a one pin guy and still debating my next one between Metallica, Iron Maiden or GNR. Being in a pinball league helps me get by with one and tons of locations to play out here as just don’t want to fix or repair multiple games if owned.

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Since you own Star Trek pre which I love as fast fun and shots all flow together so good on the game. One of my favorite Stern games for sure. As for the other game I like the Metallica premium more due to the features but game kicks my butt at times unlike Star Trek which more friendly. I like Iron Maiden music more and the pin is pure fun if you think about that game, just wish more in it like the toys or features in Metallica. If you want something completely different then Hobbit it would be but can’t seem to get the great flow in a JJP game but great to look at with it features. If not Jurassic park has a ton in it with features too might try.I am a one pin guy and still debating my next one between Metallica, Iron Maiden or GNR. Being in a pinball league helps me get by with one and tons of locations to play out here as just don’t want to fix or repair multiple games if owned.

I'm really considering GNR also, but if I ordered one today it could be a year from now until I get it. We are going to go play Mando and GNR this weekend.

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Hobbit is floaty and dull, easily JJP’s worst game.
Keep the MET.

You didn't set it up correctly if it played floaty. It has to be at 7.1-7.2 pitch and you need to adjust the flipper power for it to play well. The front legs need to be at ground level and the rear almost all the way up. The guy I bought it from had it set way too shallow and ya, it played floaty and terrible. This was the problem with most Hobbits from day one. J.J. printed too shallow a pitch in the manual. The game is fantastic with the final code.

#60 2 years ago

I had Tron for 7 years and thought I was done with it. Sold it and can’t buy one in same condition because it’s price has skyrocketed. Also I’ve played lots of Tron pins home and locations they all play different. I even had one on temporary trade and it was not the same as the one I sold. Bottom line I’m more inclined to keep my great pins and make room for new blood.

#61 2 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I'm really considering GNR also, but if I ordered one today it could be a year from now until I get it. We are going to go play Mando and GNR this weekend.

Ok if you like it wait as have two pins, but try and play a Maiden as well

#62 2 years ago

I have a Metallica Premium and I am looking for a Hobbit to Trade.
I believe both Metallica Premium and Hobbit should be about even value.

#63 2 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

I have a Metallica Premium and I am looking for a Hobbit to Trade.
I believe both Metallica Premium and Hobbit should be about even value.

Not sure about that, hobbits are pushing well north of $8k, some going for $10k. A year or so ago you couldn’t sell hobbits for $7k.

#64 2 years ago

Metallica all day every day on this one. Which is surprising for me because.

I don't like Metallica as a band, but the rules are great.

Hobbit I wanted to like. I love LOTR and wanted to pair it with LOTR. Was watching closely from when it was first introduced and followed it closely as it was being developed. More development that took place, the less I wanted it. Watching Hobbit develop, was like when SW EP 1 was released. You saw it, it wasn't that good and you hoped the next one would get better. And got worse the longer it went on. Hobbit is a bottom tier game.

#65 2 years ago

Hobbit is slow as hell and ends up being super boring. It's a big empty widebody playfield, not much too shoot, not much flow as it's more a bouncy ball game.
I think they wasted the license, especially coming right after woz who was endlessly packed with toys and shots.

#66 2 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

... It's a big empty widebody playfield, not much too shoot ...

I've seen this criticism of Hobbit before and have never understood it. Hobbit has lots of shots to me - and requires many varied targets to be hit within its many modes.

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

Hobbit is slow as hell and ends up being super boring. It's a big empty widebody playfield, not much too shoot, not much flow as it's more a bouncy ball game.
I think they wasted the license, especially coming right after woz who was endlessly packed with toys and shots.

Well, I’m going to have to disagree here. Wasted the license? It’s probably the best theme integration ever done. Playfield is not empty, it’s just open, there are multiple drop target banks and targets behind those, two main ramps plus a diverter that drops down, captive ball, mystery target, sneak in magnet, three drops, pops, orbits, beast pop ups, a mini lcd, two spinners, moving and talking dragon, kickback, etc. that’s pretty packed, not many games have more than the hobbit does. The game is not floaty or slow if set it up right, I’m at 7.3 pitch and it’s very fast. Whenever I play it, it always draws me in, unlike any other game. Throw in an external sub and it really comes to life. Ball times can be long, but that doesn’t matter to me, I just need to set aside time to play it.

#68 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Just for once please stop with your insulting smart ass comments.

I agree. The shtick got old a long long time ago. The only person he is entertaining is himself. Funny thing is he never makes posts like this in the “Pinside guitar players forum”.

#69 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Oh and bringing up your fucking dead uncle is truly despicable and low. Are you serious with that shit? REALLY?!?!
Totally disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourself for invoking a dead relative to “win” some dumb internet beef. Just ghastly.

Show some class. Just once.

#70 2 years ago

Everything about Metallica is better than the Hobbit.

Well, almost everything. The one negative for Metallica is Lars Ulrich.

#71 2 years ago

own both, both way different games. fast and furious.....metallica. slower but more of an adventure under glass..........hobbit.

#72 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Metallica all day every day on this one. Which is surprising for me because.
I don't like Metallica as a band, but the rules are great.
Hobbit I wanted to like. I love LOTR and wpanted to pair it with LOTR. Was watching closely from when it was first introduced and followed it closely as it was being developed. More development that took place, the less I wanted it. Watching Hobbit develop, was like when SW EP 1 was released. You saw it, it wasn't that good and you hoped the next one would get better. And got worse the longer it went on. Hobbit is a bottom tier game.

What about the GI? Lol

#73 2 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I agree. The shtick got old a long long time ago. The only person he is entertaining is himself. Funny thing is he never makes posts like this in the “Pinside guitar players forum”.

Nobody in the pinside guitar players forum ever brings up dead relatives to try to win an argument.

"Oh really, you think the BC Rich Warlock is a shitty guitar?! Well my aunt gertrude - who LOVED that guitar - is dead. What do you have to say for yourself now?!"

#74 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Nobody in the pinside guitar players forum ever brings up dead relatives to try to win an argument.
"Oh really, you think the BC Rich Warlock is a shitty guitar?! Well my aunt gertrude - who LOVED that guitar - is dead. What do you have to say for yourself now?!"

Here's the initial reply, pretty ridiculous eh? Lol

"Fenders are horrible and Gibson rules.

You're welcome!

Fender was invented for the noob guitar buyer who thinks string count and the amount of musical noise a guitar makes with each strum somehow translates into value. Fender is the guitar textbook definition of "trying too hard."

Gibson was made for people who like awesome guitars."

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Here's the initial reply, pretty ridiculous eh? Lol
"Fenders are horrible and Gibson rules.
You're welcome!
Fender was invented for the noob guitar buyer who thinks string count and the amount of musical noise a guitar makes with each strum somehow translates into value. Fender is the guitar textbook definition of "trying too hard."
Gibson was made for people who like awesome guitars."

So? What's wrong with that, you are entitled to your opinion.

I'd certainly never get so butthurt over an opinion that i’d play the dead uncle card.

Besides, I don't engage in such petty tribalism, as you can see!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#76 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So? What's wrong with that, you are entitled to your opinion.
I'd certainly never get so butthurt over an opinion that i’d play the dead uncle card.
Besides, I don't engage in such petty tribalism, as you can see![quoted image]

You've now brought up my deceased uncle more then I have, getting weird. Also, I originally said I partially bought Hobbit because of my uncle getting me into the films and books...not because I'm some noob pinball buyer as you claimed.

Glad you don't participate in tribalism when it comes to guitars...now do you have any JJP's in your collection

#77 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Glad you don't participate in tribalism when it comes to guitars...now do you have any JJP's in your collection

I've owned a couple but frankly they were worth more to me sold than kept in my collection. Had a WOZ Ruby Red and a Dialed in for a brief while, enjoyed playing them but didn't want to be the one owning them when they broke.

Besides, back to the original question posed in the thread...Metallica isn't a better game than hobbit because it's a Stern, it's better because it's more fun to play.

I've got one in my collection now that you mention it, along with games from four other manufacturers.

1 week later
#78 2 years ago

I recently traded my MMr for a Hobbit Black Arrow. MMr is a classic, all time great. Took me about 3 days to decide I’m glad I made the trade.

Hobbit is a totally different cat of a game, compared to anything. For those playing at home (or on route) that’s a good thing. Very good in this case. Like Wonka, Hobbit plays unlike any other game Ive owned or played, and I like that. A lot. Some people obviously don’t. So what?

Sooooo many games are so similar. Rules and playfields are literally recycled on the reg, and there’s a sameness among lots of games. Which is fine, because a lot of the games that have similar DNA are fun as hell. But it gets old sometimes.

JJP games simply don’t do this. They’re all different. No manufacturer thinks outside the box as much as JJP. Which is why some people don’t like them I’ll bet. Some don’t want to “think” about their pinball. That’s cool, but that’s not me.

JJPs take time to get a feel for (and to learn and understand) and they reward the patient. They also reward the pinball “connoisseur” if you will. That may sound stuffy but it’s my opinion. Just because a game isn’t easy and approachable doesn’t make it a bad game.

It took me 7 years to come around to Hobbit. I’m very glad I did. We’ll see how long the honeymoon lasts. I have a small collection. The games I love last around 4 years on average. I loved MMr and it lasted 2. I expect I’ll be cycling through games even quicker now, as there are so many to choose from nowadays.

I also don’t miss any game I’ve ever sold. I play my games and get my fill. There isn’t one game I couldn’t track down and buy all over again if I wanted. I don’t.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
Interactive
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations
Other
6,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hoover, AL
$ 25.50
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 26.50
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-le-vs-metallica-pro/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.