• Hobbit LE for the win 54 votes
    38%
  • Metallica Pro for the win 87 votes
    62%

(141 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

Well, finally got my prized Star Trek Premium. One down, one to go. I haven't made a change in our single pin lineup in several years (owned MET for about 4 years I believe). The family still likes our MET Pro but personally I'm a bit tired of it. I think I know how this one will go in the poll. I've played Hobbit a lot on location, always liked it. In the end, it will be hard to let go of our MET Pro. I'm also open to getting a Tron Pro, but that one seems to be a little tougher to find. My older son wants a Mustang Premium/LE but I'm really on the fence about that one. I know, I know, I have to make my own decision on this but it's still fun to hear what others think.

I can only comfortably fit 2 pins in the room we put them in, so MET would have to go if I get Hobbit.

#2 2 years ago

Hobbit over Metallica? I mean if your over it then I get that, but Metallica is far and away better than hobbit.

On another note, lots of people looking for Metallica’s

#3 2 years ago

MET> Sliced bread

#4 2 years ago

I know, MET is pure awesomeness. But it was our only pin for several years, I think I'm over it.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

My older son wants a Mustang Premium/LE but I'm really on the fence about that one. I know, I know, I have to make my own decision on this but it's still fun to hear what others think.

Don't sleep on Mustang Prem/LE. It's a very fun game with a lot of risk/reward. I never clicked with Hobbit, but the one I used to play had a Mustang LE 15' away and it always took quarters from me. Mustang Pro is also a good bang for the buck. People will continue to hate on the theme, but if your son already likes the theme, it's a great pin that was overlooked by many.

#6 2 years ago

Hobbit is horrible and Metallica rules.

You're welcome!

Hobbit was invented for the noob pin buyer who thinks coil count and the amount of cacophonic mechanical noise a game makes at the start of each ball somehow translates into value. The game is the pinball textbook definition of "trying too hard."

Metallica was made for people who like awesome pinball machines.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Don't sleep on Mustang Prem/LE. It's a very fun game with a lot of risk/reward. I never clicked with Hobbit, but the one I used to play had a Mustang LE 15' away and it always took quarters from me. Mustang Pro is also a good bang for the buck. People will continue to hate on the theme, but if your son already likes the theme, it's a great pin that was overlooked by many.

We played it recently and it was fun. I get the feeling Stern didn't sell very many so it might be more difficult to find one.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You're welcome!
Hobbit was invented for the noob pin buyer who thinks coil count and the amount of cacophonic noise a game makes at the start of each ball somehow translates into value.

LOL

#9 2 years ago

Huge fan of Metallica the band. Don't like the game.

Hobbit has *amazing* theme integration and mixes in well in a multiple game collection. Really fun single player (killing smaug is a huge rush!), but multiplayer sucks with long ball times. I've had my fun with it after 4 years or so and am recently ready to move on but my kids won't let me sell it.

#10 2 years ago

But it was our only pin for several years, I think I'm over it.

Having read many if your threads, I feel like when you have made your mind up; its up.
So if you're over it sell just sell and move on.

IF the point is to gauge if Hobbits is good, there is no thread that won't end in a nightmare

#11 2 years ago

Own both, I’m choosing hobbit, but these games couldn’t be more different in just about every way.

Metallica games tend to be very short and it’s tough to progress, not as brutal as iron man, but tough. Great rule set and decent flow.

Hobbit to me is one of the most immersive games ever built, fantastic theme integration. Long ball times, much like lotr, but the rewards are awesome, killing Smaug is quite a rush. If I were you, I’d start by selecting the theme that most appeals to you.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Own both, I’m choosing hobbit, but these games couldn’t be more different in just about every way.
Metallica games tend to be very short and it’s tough to progress, not as brutal as iron man, but tough. Great rule set and decent flow.
Hobbit to me is one of the most immersive games ever built, fantastic theme integration. Long ball times, much like lotr, but the rewards are awesome, killing Smaug is quite a rush. If I were you, I’d start by selecting the theme that most appeals to you.

Theme is everything! I like just looking at my Star Trek because it looks so cool and I love Star Trek as a theme.

Metallica is fun to play for sure but I don't like looking at it. The art and toys aren't for me. The music is great though.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Having read many if your threads, I feel like when you have made your mind up; its up.
So if you're over it sell just sell and move on.
IF the point is to gauge if Hobbits is good, there is no thread that won't end in a nightmare

You are right, the Hobbit is very polarizing. I love the theme and think it looks fantastic with the art and toys.

#14 2 years ago

Nothing else on the menu other than Hobbit?

#15 2 years ago

Hobbit deserves a run in your house, if you "liked it" on location you will love it in the home, Hobbit has a different story-episode feel to me, if you like the theme and movies, and it will sell just fine in a 6-12months when you want the Iron Maiden Prem.

#16 2 years ago

I always try to get into Hobbit, but the gameplay doesn't do it for me. Definitely prefer metallica over it.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from oropuro:

Hobbit deserves a run in your house, if you "liked it" on location you will love it in the home, Hobbit has a different story-episode feel to me, if you like the theme and movies, and it will sell just fine in a 6-12months when you want the Iron Maiden Prem.

Don't want Iron Maiden ever. Yea, Hobbit looks so cool to me, just hope I don't tire of it quickly.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Nothing else on the menu other than Hobbit?

Tron Pro. My son wants a Mustang. I haven't played Mando yet but It looks like something we would enjoy. If I ordered a Mando Premium from a distributor right now I get the feeling it would take many months to get it.

#19 2 years ago

Also Alien remake. But I'm a little nervous about the build quality on it.

#20 2 years ago

Also Alien remake. But I'm a little nervous about the build quality on it.

I would suggest wait 10 years till the kinks are worked out.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

This. Both games are great for different reasons.

That said, I love MET, but my advice (FWIW) would be to sell the MET Pro and pick up a Hobbit for a different quality gameplay experience. If you miss MET too much, you can add a Premium/LE (better version) back into your collection in the future.

-OR - trust your older son's apparent spot-on instinct for bitchin' games and get a Mustang Premium/LE. VERY fun and HIGHLY underrated (mainly due to theme unfortunately)!

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

This. Both games are great for different reasons.
That said, I love MET, but my advice (FWIW) would be to sell the MET Pro and pick up a Hobbit for a different quality gameplay experience. If you miss MET too much, you can add a Premium/LE (better version) back into your collection in the future.
-OR - trust your older son's apparent spot-on instinct for bitchin' games and get a Mustang Premium/LE. VERY fun and HIGHLY underrated (mainly due to theme unfortunately)!

I think I would take a chance on a Mustang but the chances of finding one are small. Not many in people's collections.

#23 2 years ago

Adventure(Hobbit) vs point chaser(MET) pick your poison.

#25 2 years ago

Metallica is one machine that will never leave my house. I thought about selling it once after I had been playing newer machines and needed room, but once I went back and put some solid time on Met, decided it will stay forever. That time, I ended up selling HOH LE and haven't missed it for a second. I would definitely miss Metallica. All around perfect playing machine. That said, how do I add different songs?

#26 2 years ago

When you have a smaller collection its good advice to keep the line up fresh. MET is one of the greats and not going to be an easy pin to beat but look at it this way, over 10 years of collecting do you want 1 great game the whole time or switch that game out every year and have 7 or 8 really good games come and go over these same years. You can always get another MET down the rd if you or the family miss it that much. Sometimes a pin you think will just be OK and you got a super deal on it ends up being fantastic. So if you think you will like Hobbit...you will when you first get it and when that fades you can start a new post Hobbit or ????

#27 2 years ago

Hobbit is a marvel of programming perfection and beauty! The best theme integration in pinball history (full assets). It is literally an adventure, and as such, a commitment to play! This is not a quick game pin! If you want that, get Metallica. It's a proven classic and fun. I love my Hobbit, but it's not a game for a small collection unless you want a game like this, and love the theme. If you do, than it's the greatest pin imaginable! This is a wide body pin and plays like one. It's not floaty when set up correctly, like people who don't know what they're talking about will tell you. So get on the owners thread and get informed.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You're welcome!
Hobbit was invented for the noob pin buyer who thinks coil count and the amount of cacophonic mechanical noise a game makes at the start of each ball somehow translates into value. The game is the pinball textbook definition of "trying too hard."

Just for once please stop with your insulting smart ass comments.

The people that own Hobbit bought it because it's a fun loaded widebody pin with full licensed assets and has one of the deepest objective rulesets ever created in pinball by two of the all time best pinball programmers, Keith Johnson and Ted Estes. There's no reason to insult owners of the game or the team that created it.

To the OP, buy the game that you like the best. Hobbit and Metallica are two very different pins with the one similarity being both are fun pins. I prefer deep objective based pins over those that tend to focus primarily on points so that's one of the reasons why I enjoy Hobbit so much. For what's it worth I bought Hobbit and Metallica NIB...Hobbit is still here.

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Hobbit is a marvel of programming perfection and beauty! The best theme integration in pinball history (full assets). It is literally an adventure, and as such, a commitment to play! This is not a quick game pin! If you want that, get Metallica. It's a proven classic and fun. I love my Hobbit, but it's not a game for a small collection unless you want a game like this, and love the theme. If you do, than it's the greatest pin imaginable! This is a wide body pin and plays like one. It's not floaty when set up correctly, like people who don't know what they're talking about will tell you. So get on the owners thread and get informed.

We've had our MET for around 4 years I think. I am very tired of it. It was our only pin the entire time we've had it. I never like the art at all, too dark and just isn't enjoyable to look at. I like the music, and I like the speed of the playfield layout. We are a 2 pin collection household, I have once put 3 pins in the room we have them in but it doesn't work out well, it sticks out in front of the fireplace. Right now, I just have my Star Trek Premium which we are playing daily now, we had a Pro before and the Premium is even better! I thought Hobbit would fit our house well, we also owned a WOZ before. WOZ was fantastic by the way, should have kept it. I'm trying to convince the family a Tron would be one to get, so far they want Hobbit more, I'd rather get a Tron.

#30 2 years ago

One more thing to add. It didn't really sink in until today how messed up the NIB market really is right now. Had a distro tell me a Mando Premium or GNR LE would be next year if I put down a deposit right now. I've kinda ruled out getting any NIB pins until the market returns to normal (if it ever does). I would purchase a Mando Premium right now if it were only a couple of months wait time but 2022 is just to far out to wait, I might never even get the pin the way things are going. Any distros out there that have a little better wait list for new pins?

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

When you have a smaller collection its good advice to keep the line up fresh. MET is one of the greats and not going to be an easy pin to beat but look at it this way, over 10 years of collecting do you want 1 great game the whole time or switch that game out every year and have 7 or 8 really good games come and go over these same years. You can always get another MET down the rd if you or the family miss it that much. Sometimes a pin you think will just be OK and you got a super deal on it ends up being fantastic. So if you think you will like Hobbit...you will when you first get it and when that fades you can start a new post Hobbit or ????

Agreed! Now sell me your Tron Pro... real cheap! LOL

#32 2 years ago

I would purchase a Mando Premium right now if it were only a couple of months wait time but 2022 is just to far out to wait, I might never even get the pin the way things are going.

WOW! I didn't know things were this backed up!
BTW Mando is great. A friend of mine just got the LE and we played it all night! Awesome game!!!

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I would suggest wait 10 years till the kinks are worked out.

Please!! 10 years? LOL! ridiculous!
My buddy got one of the first in the country and we've been playing it for several weeks now with almost no issues at all! The game is awesome! Great customer support as well.

#34 2 years ago

If you are tired of Metallica I'd swap it for Jurassic Park, Iron Maiden, Deadpool, or Turtles.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Just for once please stop with your insulting smart ass comments.
The people that own Hobbit bought it because it's a fun loaded widebody pin with full licensed assets and has one of the deepest objective rulesets ever created in pinball by two of the all time best pinball programmers, Keith Johnson and Ted Estes. There's no reason to insult owners of the game or the team that created it.
To the OP, buy the game that you like the best. Hobbit and Metallica are two very different pins with the one similarity being both are fun pins. I prefer deep objective based pins over those that tend to focus primarily on points so that's one of the reasons why I enjoy Hobbit so much. For what's it worth I bought Hobbit and Metallica NIB...Hobbit is still here.

You have terrible taste.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You have terrible taste.

and yet another insult... I guess my cousin who has 6k+ plays on his Lord of the Rings and loves playing Hobbit when he comes over doesn't know what he's talking about as well. Real pinball is only a couple ramps, orbits, and minimal mechs!

Just for the record, besides actually enjoying playing Hobbit I also bought it because my Uncle and I saw all the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit films together. He unfortunately passed away a few years back but I owe it to him for getting me into the films and books. Just an FYI for when you consider insulting someone next time!

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

and yet another insult... I guess my cousin who has 6k+ plays on his Lord of the Rings and loves playing Hobbit when he comes over doesn't know what he's talking about as well. Real pinball is only a couple ramps, orbits, and minimal mechs!
Just for the record, besides actually enjoying playing Hobbit I also bought it because my Uncle and I saw all the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit films together. He unfortunately passed away a few years back but I owe it to him for getting me into the films and books. Just an FYI for when you consider insulting someone next time!

You opened your post by calling me a smart ass. So what do you expect? That’s not an “insult?”

Everybody here thinks their shit don’t stink, but it does. Especially in this heat.

You’ve made it clear over the years you are the EXACT kind of buyer I’m talking about; impressed by “toys and coils” and “bulk and weight” and LED
Screens and little else. Hobbit is a perfect game for you, but the OP asked for opinions and that’s what he got. If he’s like you, yes, he should probably go for hobbit (a terrible game with lots of coils) over Metallica. If he’s like me, he’ll probably like Metallica better. It’s up to him, not us!

Oh and bringing up your fucking dead uncle is truly despicable and low. Are you serious with that shit? REALLY?!?!

Totally disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourself for invoking a dead relative to “win” some dumb internet beef. Just ghastly.

“You aren’t allowed to say hobbit sucks because my uncle died. Shame on you!”

Really dude? REALLY?! Ok, well I can one up you as I have a dead grandmother who HATED all things middle earth, therefore you should really think twice before saying you like the Hobbit game. What about my Nana?!

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You have terrible taste.

All I can say is thanks to all the haters on Hobbit who ran the price down for me. I grabbed a HUO like new, LE Smaug with Radcals and art blades and plastic protectors for 6700.00. I could sell it now for a lot more LOL! And we love the game as do other players that visit.

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You opened your post by calling me a smart ass. So what do you expect? That’s not an “insult?”
Everybody here thinks their shit don’t stink, but it does. Especially in this heat.
You’ve made it clear over the years you are the EXACT kind of buyer I’m talking about; impressed by “toys and coils” and “bulk and weight” and LED
Screens and little else. Hobbit is a perfect game for you, but the OP asked for opinions and that’s what he got. If he’s like you, yes, he should probably go for hobbit (a terrible game with lots of coils) over Metallica. If he’s like me, he’ll probably like Metallica better. It’s up to him, not us!
Oh and bringing up your fucking dead uncle is truly despicable and low. Are you serious with that shit? REALLY?!?!
Totally disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourself for invoking a dead relative to “win” some dumb internet beef. Just ghastly.
“You can’t say hobbit sucks because my uncle died. Shame on you!”
Really dude? REALLY?!

Do you know what you said originally? Here it is below. Again, you insulted owners and the team that made the game.

I brought up my uncle as he's one of the reasons I'm into the LOTR / Hobbit books and films. That bond we had is partially why I bought Hobbit, not because I'm some noob pin buyer who just cares about coil count as you claim. I brought that up as you made the rude comments below, glad I did.

Finally who the hell buys a game just on mechs and weight alone? People buy games because they like them. It is possible to have a loaded game that weighs a ton yet is also fun! Same goes for a game that is rather empty with minimal mechs.

"Hobbit was invented for the noob pin buyer who thinks coil count and the amount of cacophonic mechanical noise a game makes at the start of each ball somehow translates into value. The game is the pinball textbook definition of "trying too hard."

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Hobbit over Metallica? I mean if your over it then I get that, but Metallica is far and away better than hobbit.
On another note, lots of people looking for Metallica’s

Apples to oranges! And a lot of people are looking for Hobbit as well.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Do you know what you even said originally? Here it is below. Again, you insulted owners and the team that made the game.
I brought up my uncle as he's one of the reasons I'm into the LOTR / Hobbit books and films. That bond we had is partially why I bought Hobbit, not because I'm some noob pin buyer who just cares about coil count as you claim. I brought that up as you made the rude comments below, glad I did.
Finally who the hell buys a game just on mechs and weight alone? People buy games because they like them. It is possible to have a loaded game that weighs a ton yet is also fun! Same goes for a game that is rather empty with minimal mechs.
"Hobbit was invented for the noob pin buyer who thinks coil count and the amount of cacophonic mechanical noise a game makes at the start of each ball somehow translates into value. The game is the pinball textbook definition of "trying too hard."

Ok, I apologize for unnecesarilly insulting Hobbit lovers, I think I can voice my distaste for the game without speculating on the motivations of those who bought it.

But let's leave the dead relatives out of it from now on, eh? Just seems like an unnecessary cheap shot/low blow.

#42 2 years ago

We’ve discussed this very topic several times over the last 3+ years. I own both, and have for 4+ years. Neither is planning on Leaving. Hobbit is a far superior game, but yet I play Metallica more. Reason is hobbit is a long journey game as it should be. Metallica is short and full of adrenaline. I personally love both gameplay styles, and looks. Both games recently seem to be on many people’s want list suddenly, so getting a hobbit isn’t as easy as it used to be. Your Metallica will sell easily. I would suggest that if you’re done with Metallica, sell it to get hobbit. If you tire of hobbit quickly, then the market will definitely buy it back. Both games are completely different styles, and some people don’t appreciate anything other than a fast playing stern, so you really need to decide that on your own and not base buying decisions on other’s opinions. GL

#43 2 years ago

Ignoring the drama and voting for Mustang LE - its a great game that never got the loved it deserved.

#44 2 years ago

Sell met for TWD pro

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from Chuckwebster:

Ignoring the drama and voting for Mustang LE - its a great game that never got the loved it deserved.

Sure is, damn tough game to find now.

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Sure is, damn tough game to find now.

Yes, they probably didn't make very many.

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Sell met for TWD pro

I love playing TWD... but I don't think I can handle looking at the ugly art everyday.

#48 2 years ago

Makes no difference which game is better. You played out MET and time to move on. Should be easy to sell. If Hobbit interests you than go for it. You can always trade it out for something else if it gets old fast.

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Makes no difference which game is better. You played out MET and time to move on. Should be easy to sell. If Hobbit interests you than go for it. You can always trade it out for something else if it gets old fast.

Spot on! Go with what you like the best. Selling Metallica doesn't mean it's a bad game, it's an awesome game, just sometimes you want a new one and there's only so much space and or $$$ available for this crazy hobby.

#50 2 years ago

IMO Hobbit is the easy choice here

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Conifer, CO
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-le-vs-metallica-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.