• Latest reply 11 years ago by spfxted
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

oz_clickme.gif
WOZ_Pic.jpg
There are 293 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
#251 11 years ago

I think this all boils down to faith in what JJP is doing and the man himself, these are variables that just don't really work in a strict business sense. Jack has my trust, and I genuinely believe in what he is doing, it was exactly the opposite with Gene and BBB, and Wayne and his projects. I was wrong on BBB, and considering I was in the audience at Expo in 2004 when he announced them, it's a decision I've greatly regretted

I would have preferred to wait on The Hobbit until I had my WOZ, but putting down a refundable deposit of $1500 now on TH doesn't seem like much of a gamble to me, so I'm in for now, same approach I took with WOZ, if I like what I see I'll stay in, if not, get my deposit back. Time is not a factor, pinball money comes from discretionary income for me, as I think it does for most of us, don't look at how much interest I could make on it, it's not much these days anyway. The payment plan actually helps me greatly, as other pin deals are always coming my way, I doubt I would have the self discipline to keep the money separate, so having the payments locked in keeps me from getting in too deep.

I'm not sure where this is all headed, but I just met what you would have to consider to be a proto-typical nouveau riche pin collector, and what he considers good value compared to me is light years apart, he'll spend more in the first 2 years of collecting than I did in the first 20 As long as they are out there, prices are going to continue to rise!!

#252 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

even on that preorder. I bet the value of it dropped as soon as you drove it off the lot. If you want to look at pins like new cars. NIB is worth half as soon as you open the box. That's the way it used to be in the pin universe. Not quite half, but you were losing money once the game was pulled out and you cut the binding strap.

That car actually increased for two years because the demand was higher than the supply. Just like you said though, most will drop. Some will actually go up. We do not know where this one will go. We will not know for a year+.

#253 11 years ago

All this tank about Sterns costing too much. Nobody talks about the great resale value. I realize this is a extreme example but my Tron LE is worth 4K more than I paid for it. My POTC sold for a hundred less and my Iron man sold for two hundred less than I paid for it. Pretty good if you ask me.

Pappy

#254 11 years ago

What about Xmen? There are more NIB that go down than up.

#255 11 years ago

Xmen will come back up with code. Even the much not loved Wheel of Fortune is now being discovered and sought after.

#256 11 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

What about Xmen? There are more NIB that go down than up.

X-Men hasn't even been out for a year, and its code updates haven't been released yet. When it comes to "value"..the book is not closed on that one....or any game that's still in production, for that matter. You see cheap X-Mens now because some owners have run out of patience. Understandable, but it has no bearing on the game's reputation years from now.

Quoted from playernumber4:

Xmen will come back up with code. Even the much not loved Wheel of Fortune is now being discovered and sought after.

Exactly. I bought WOF for $2400 closeout NIB in '09 or '10. Today it's worth more, even out of the box.

#257 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

X-Men hasn't even been out for a year, and its code updates haven't been released yet. When it comes to "value"..the book is not closed on that one....or any game that's still in production, for that matter. You see cheap X-Mens now because some owners have run out of patience. Understandable, but it has no bearing on the game's reputation years from now.

Exactly. I bought WOF for $2400 closeout NIB in '09 or '10. Today it's worth more, even out of the box.

So why are you trying to put a value on WOZ and Hobbit. By your own admission they need to be out for a while before we can close the book on it. WOZ is worth more now then it was.

#258 11 years ago

So why are you trying to put a value on WOZ and Hobbit. By your own admission they need to be out for a while before we can close the book on it. WOZ is worth more now then it was.

I was? I'm not Neo.

#259 11 years ago

I guess that should have said we need to wait based on your thoughts to assign value.

Rare, how the flippers looking? I remember your dropped WOZ you had because the flippers should have been sorted first and you were not feeling it.

#260 11 years ago

Don't know that he's played it since. I do know strength adjustment is in code now (maybe not all over yet), and eventually I'd like him to try one again to see if there's any marked improvement.

#261 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Eh. It's a bit of a stretch to compare its value today to that of the rock-bottom blowout of one distributor. The game sells today for less than what the vast majority paid for it -- high 2k-ish vs $3500+.

And what of Transformers? I have a few bummed-out friends who own LEs that have dropped what, 2k in value?

#262 11 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

I'm not sure where this is all headed, but I just met what you would have to consider to be a proto-typical nouveau riche pin collector, and what he considers good value compared to me is light years apart, he'll spend more in the first 2 years of collecting than I did in the first 20 As long as they are out there, prices are going to continue to rise!!

Hey dg, can you share any info as to what you saw and to your thoughts on continued rise in prices, sorry to steer off our thoughts on the Hobbit's $7500 pre order discussion but you have really peaked my interest.

#263 11 years ago
Quoted from bobbyconover:

And what of Transformers? I have a few bummed-out friends who own LEs that have dropped what, 2k in value?

Nobody lost $2k on TF unless they paid full retail price.

TF still seems to sell at close to $5k. I think most of them were $5800.00-5900.00 on pre-order?

#264 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

still seems to sell at close to $5k.

Eric has one on pinside, an autobots le, for 4700 and no takers yet....

Got to play it in Breckenridge last year, next to lotr and SM, looked awesome, played awful...came home and bought SM!

#265 11 years ago

Rare, how the flippers looking? I remember your dropped WOZ you had because the flippers should have been sorted first and you were not feeling it.

I'd have to play it again in person. I'm sure they'll be fine. I had more issues with the game besides the flippers. No regrets on getting a refund. Looking forward to The Hobbit, though...just refuse to pre-order before it's designed and won't be available till 2014 (or 15? Lets be realistic). And yes - I did that with WOZ...but it was a different time. I wanted to support Jack and what he was doing....and I still do...just not with money until a game is designed.

#266 11 years ago
Quoted from Exejet:

No pinball machine will EVER pull the Black Ops 2 crowd over to pinball!! That's what Adults/Kids are playing at home and pinball will never pull them back! Never! BO2 11 million copies sold in a WEEK!!! But the old LCD display will pull them back, better get the new LED display in your WOZ the LCD is old now.

Just like Pinball Sales/Shufflealley.com's Parker Bohn III teevee upgrade kit?

#267 11 years ago

Transformers LE was $5600 NIB if you knew where to buy from. Retail was higher. Why should anyone be bummed if the game they own and like loses value? Who the hell cares? If you like the game, so what. Value means nothing until your looking to sell. Or (in my case) it becomes so valuable, that you can't refuse the offers to sell.

If you start looking at pinball as an investment, your looking at it the wrong way. Espeically for NIB. Which 92% of the time means a loss. LE's have a little higher ratio to this, because they are designed to be more collectable sooner. But even that formula doesn't always work. RS LE, Avatar LE, TF LE. Striker Extreme LE. Ect....

#268 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Got to play it in Breckenridge last year, next to lotr and SM, looked awesome, played awful...came home and bought SM!

You chose... Wisely.

#269 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

If you start looking at pinball as an investment, your looking at it the wrong way. Espeically for NIB. Which 92% of the time means a loss. LE's have a little higher ratio to this, because they are designed to be more collectable sooner. But even that formula doesn't always work. RS LE, Avatar LE, TF LE. Striker Extreme LE. Ect....

I remember making this argument before X-Men came out and got taken to the mat by Samuel L. Jackson Avatar (whatever his handle is) and others. Fact of the matter is pump and dump doesn't always work and I refuse to pay prime for a game that is poorly made and price jacked up simply because you can. I agree JJP is not giving these games away, is making a profit but at least i dont feel like I am getting abused.

#270 11 years ago

Did anyone else feel like the Hobbit movie was VERY similar to the Lord of the Rings? It's like you are watching the same movie written slightly different, but essentially the same.

#271 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

Did anyone else feel like the Hobbit movie was VERY similar to the Lord of the Rings? It's like you are watching the same movie written slightly different, but essentially the same.

I felt like I was watching a really terrible version of LOTR while watching The Hobbit.

#272 11 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

I felt like I was watching a really terrible version of LOTR while watching The Hobbit.

That was foreplay.

The buildup, plot twists, climax, orgasm, and Smaug in pt 2 and 3 will make up for it

#273 11 years ago

I was dissapointed in the Hobbit. Too much plot was not in the book. Expecially the story of the white orc. I know these were taken from the appendixes, but still.... I still love LOTR as one of my favorite trilogies....

#274 11 years ago

I didn't think hobbit was bad at all. I enjoyed it. Had issues with 2 parts on how they did speech and dialogue. But it's minor and didn't ruin the whole movie for me. But I love the LOTR universe, So I can let a little more things slide.

#275 11 years ago

I really enjoyed The Hobbit. Going back to Middle Earth was like visiting with old friends again. Looking forward to the 2nd film at the end of the year.

#276 11 years ago

Dear Lord ... does anyone els not think that $7500 for a Pinball game is a little outta control??

#277 11 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

Dear Lord ... does anyone els not think that $7500 for a Pinball game is a little outta control??

Only if the game is built like it should be worth $4500, see Stern LE's

#278 11 years ago

Are Jersey Jack machines that much better? I haven't been able to play one yet....

#279 11 years ago

They are undoubtedly built to a higher standard of parts and workmanship.

#280 11 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Why do I suddenly get the feeling that the mid march release for WoZ is about to be pushed again?

Who knows?

They have just had the all clear on all the electrics and emissions tests. The game can officially be sold anywhere in the world now. Games are going to be shipped in 4 weeks, not 4 months, not 4 years. I don't get the doubters? The game is built and finished, you can go play one in 20 different places of you want. We have seen hundreds and hundreds of machine cabinets, playfields and parts in the factory being put together. All we are waiting for is the software which now has 4 programmers working on it and, if you watch the latest software video you can see its coming together nicely. Modes are there, sounds are there, videos are there.

#281 11 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

Yes $7500 is crazy money for most if not all games. Rare exception would be something awesome that there are only 1 or 2 of. If you sit back and think how many other great titles you can buy for that $7500, and you use it for one NIB. It is crazy in the grand scheme of things. You could buy 5 other games. 5 games are always going to have more replay value and fun over 1 game. Every time. No matter what the game is. If you play it often enough, it's going to get boring and your going to want some variety.

#282 11 years ago
Quoted from j69:

Who knows?
We have seen hundreds and hundreds of machine cabinets, playfields and parts in the factory being put together. All we are waiting for is the software which now has 4 programmers working on it and, if you watch the latest software video you can see its coming together nicely. Modes are there, sounds are there, videos are there.

I do believe they've quite some games ready to ship if the pcb/boards have arrived. I haven't seen modes yet though... but maybe I've missed it.
Besides that I haven't seen software anywhere near completion, doesn't mean it's not there: I could see a point in having the software way further along than shown for:
a) they want to test everything more first
b) they want to surprise us with the 'official release'

#283 11 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

They are still made from crummy Williams parts, so don't expect anything better.

#284 11 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

Only if the game is built like it should be worth $4500, see Stern LE's

Amen to that!

But I sure would like to see a JJP quality build a few grand less though. The recent pin mania and crazy selling price on older machines is keeping these in range for me. I'm not sure how anyone just getting into the hobby that isn't rich can afford to buy one.

#285 11 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

But I sure would like to see a JJP quality build a few grand less though.

I'd rather have a new Harley for half price.

LTG : )

#286 11 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Read the reports from Expo on how JJP people had to constantly fix ball hang-ups. Now, you'll say, "It's just a prototype. You can't judge quality from a prototype." And I'll reply, "Exactly!"

=)

#287 11 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Read the reports from Expo on how JJP people had to constantly fix ball hang-ups. Now, you'll say, "It's just a prototype. You can't judge quality from a prototype." And I'll reply, "Exactly!"
=)

Are they still having hangups with the current version of the protos out now? I have not been able to play one but nobody has mentioned anything in months about that. It would seem that they fixed them.

#288 11 years ago

Are they still having hangups with the current version of the protos out now? I have not been able to play one but nobody has mentioned anything in months about that. It would seem that they fixed them.

I don't know if they've been to a big show lately where lots of pinheads attend. Besides, you need neutral people to give it a fair review. Fanbios would never report problems. Haters would make up problems. I'll give an example, a pin went to a distrib and about 7 or 8 people here posted how beautiful it was, bla bla bla. A couple said there was absolutely no problem with the flippers. Someone I know who has one on order told me there was most definitely a power problem with the flippers. Again, he has one on order but he is a realist (not a fanboi.)

Point again is, too early to say it's of impeccable quality or completely lacks quality.

#289 11 years ago

next up the ohio show.......Sure there will be a few comments made on the forum about the game.

#290 11 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

Are Jersey Jack machines that much better? I haven't been able to play one yet....

No offense but, have you missed all the JJP posts about the build quality of WOZ this past year?

#291 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They are still made from crummy Williams parts, so don't expect anything better.

Time will tell. I'm optimistic.

#292 11 years ago

None whatsoever. Last one I had was an airball over the Winkie DT but that was fixed with a longer clear plastic in testing.

#293 11 years ago

Can't wait to play your machine, Pin! (and get some legs done...)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 25.50
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 293 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-le-staying-750000-no-increase-on-the-15th/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.