(Topic ID: 113360)

Hobbit LE -> SE -> LE? decisions, decisions! Please post photos.

By VolunteerPin

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 111 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Goronic
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 9 years ago

Deadline is here, but will it be extended til after studio pics?

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Deadline is here, but will it be extended til after studio pics?

jjp is pretty strict on deadlines...for customers.

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Best comparison so far is to open these four pics each in their own tab in your browser. Make sure all the pics are scrolled up so they match position (and are full-size for detail), then click back and forth between the tabs to compare. The images are photoshops with just the cab art swapped, but they show the artwork pretty well:
http://wwwnew.jerseyjackpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/hobbit_le_2.png
http://wwwnew.jerseyjackpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/hobbit_se_1.png
http://wwwnew.jerseyjackpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/hobbit_le_1.png
http://wwwnew.jerseyjackpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/hobbit_se_2.png
We're going SE because, honestly, the dragon was the best part of the series. Splice the beginning of five armies onto the end of desolation, and skip the rest. Would have been a great 2-movie set

That SE looks sweet!

Right side of the cabinet will be the first thing you'll see when you round the corner to my game room! (Although Alien with the side cabinet lighting *might* take it's place.)

#54 9 years ago

We have had most of our customers that had LEs switch to Smaug. Most just feel that the smaller run more limited game is the way to go, right or wrong. I don't think many just like Smaug better. Both trim colors, LE bronze or SE gold look great, both Smaug toys look good in red or gold... It's just personal preference. Me, I kinda like seeing all the characters and having different artwork on two sides of the cabinet. And let's face it, Smaug is now all over the PF, the toy and revised PF artwork, so the earlier, where's Smaug concerns aren't really valid anymore. Buy what you like, both are great looking. But from me and what I see, decisions to switch to or buy Smaug were more made from the limited nature factor and not so much what people thought looked better.

We are JJP distributors and taking orders on both LEs and Smaug SEs... We have plenty left of both in our original allotment that are day 1 orders. Shoot us an email for your BEST price if interested in getting a Hobbit.

Also PinballSTAR will be having the next Hobbit reveal party on Sat 2/7 in Harrisburg PA at a really cool location... Details being announced shortly on that ! Mark your calanders : )

Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements
[email protected]
570-357-0042

#55 9 years ago

I decided to go with the SE. I love the earth tones of the LE and the multitude of characters is great, but it is missing a few of my favorites (I originally thought the second wizard on the green side was Radagast, but realized it was another Gandalf). The SE side looks like an action scene and the front with Thorin and (what I can make out to be) Bilbo turned out really well.

It makes for a tough call when both look great.

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from Joemus:

I decided to go with the SE.

As did I, Just looks slicker with the full dragon shot, smaller hobbit logo on the side, and the gold trim.
You get the main characters on the backbox, translite, and apron.

#57 9 years ago

I think everyone going with the SE should switch to the LE.

(because I'd like to have the only one in North America )

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I think everyone going with the SE should switch to the LE.
(because I'd like to have the only one in North America )

And I feel exactly the opposite...and judging by all the SE buyers, I may get my wish!

#59 9 years ago

Anybody successful in getting a hold of Abel Electronics today? Making my last minute decision, but haven't had any luck in getting a hold of them.

Scott

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

And I feel exactly the opposite...and judging by all the SE buyers, I may get my wish!

Except they are making 1500 LE's and an unknown amount of SE's, the smaug edition could be more rare but to me none of that really matters, it's just personal preference on looks. If the SE sells the same as the LE then there really is no limited edition because those are too high in numbers produced to be a limited edition of a pinball machine.

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from toyboy6:

Anybody successful in getting a hold of Abel Electronics today? Making my last minute decision, but haven't had any luck in getting a hold of them.
Scott

Just email directly to Jen at JJP with your decision.

#62 9 years ago

Last minute change of heart in our house.... I just asked the nipper's opinion before they went to bed, and was fairly sure they would go with Smaug (dragon fans). However after showing them the playfield they both chose the character art. I was in the SE camp but now agree that having the same image 3 times on the machine is Smaug overload so we're back with the LE.

I plan to fit gold mirror blades and can now see that that the Smaug, Smaug, Smaug, gold armour, gold wireforms, gold blades, etc. would all be too much. So for the me the darkened LE will work out better and the kids will be happy.

Will be taking the gold Smaug option though as that thing looks gorgeous...

#63 9 years ago

STill have 2 Hobbit left # 21 and #24
As for the guy asking about Abel, Gary is a A plus fellow Dist. to deal with.
Remember out of state orders save tax!!!

Pincades
Chicagoland JJP Dist.
219-924-PINS (7467)

JT

#64 9 years ago

So I guess the SE is now a done deal? Will be interesting to see if JJP releases how many SE's were sold.

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

So I guess the SE is now a done deal? Will be interesting to see if JJP releases how many SE's were sold.

He has never released production figures before. I doubt he will start now. Why give Stern that info when they don't release it either?

#66 9 years ago

The whole thing is stupid. At the end of the day, you can change out the side decals, have somebody powdercoat new armor and habitrails for you, and change out the dragon's head. The only thing you can't get is the Smaug attract mode. Period. Being able to mod your LE to look like an SE shouldn't be so easy. (Still glad I got the LE, though!)

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

The only thing you can't get is the Smaug attract mode. Period. Being able to mod your LE to look like an SE shouldn't be so easy. (Still glad I got the LE, though!)

I predict someone will figure out how to add the extra attract mode to the LE, which is the one I picked.

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

The whole thing is stupid. At the end of the day, you can change out the side decals, have somebody powdercoat new armor and habitrails for you, and change out the dragon's head. The only thing you can't get is the Smaug attract mode. Period. Being able to mod your LE to look like an SE shouldn't be so easy. (Still glad I got the LE, though!)

This is true, but the SE will allow it to come they way you want day 1. For that matter an SE owner can just switch out to an LE when they wanted and have the SE attract mode - same cost as the LE either way.

Heck if it is easy to switch out the decals I may get the LE's and change it from time to time.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

This is true, but the SE will allow it to come they way you want day 1. For that matter an SE owner can just switch out to an LE when they wanted and have the SE attract mode.

You don't have enough of the f-ing dragon with the gameplay? When I saw the proto at Automated, that's all it was...dragondragondragon. And a big ol' dragon staring at me from the playfield. Can't believe they were charging $500 extra for that. (I say this respectfully to you, BTW...we've always agreed on almost everything. This is just a taste thing!)

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

You don't have enough of the f-ing dragon with the gameplay? When I saw the proto at Automated, that's all it was...dragondragondragon. And a big ol' dragon staring at me from the playfield. Can't believe they were charging $500 extra for that.

I totally get what you are saying, I guess the $500 is for the gold trim (which apparently has an added production cost to the LE coating) more exclusive?, an exclusive attract mode (who care's?), and an option for those that complained about the standard/LE cab. Besides, the SE was of no additional cost for pre order, so it really boils down to preference.

I think people should just pick the one they liked most, and don't worry too much about making the other guy feel like their option was wrong.

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I think people should just pick the one they liked most, and don't worry too much about making the other guy feel like their option was wrong.

Agreed. We will all be playing the same awesome game. I wonder if the SE or LE is being made first. I can't wait to get my game so I hope either way manufacturing will start soon.

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Agreed. We will all be playing the same awesome game. I wonder if the SE or LE is being made first. I can't wait to get my game so I hope either way manufacturing will start soon.

SE and LE will be made at the same time. You will not lose your place in the line when upgrading to SE

#73 9 years ago

Using gold like that it's a fine line between classy and tacky. For example I cannot see my LOTR with that powdered gold armour, it would look naff. Brass effect yes.

Smaug with the grey/black would have been cool but this was denied.

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Using gold like that it's a fine line between classy and tacky. For example I cannot see my LOTR with that powdered gold armour, it would look naff. Brass effect yes.
Smaug with the grey/black would have been cool but this was denied.

We'll see how it turns out. I think antique gold (what it appears to be like in the pics/videos) would be ideal.

#75 9 years ago

Am not trolling, I really hope it looks nice for the SE folks.

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Quoted from txstargazer3:

He has never released production figures before. I doubt he will start now. Why give Stern that info when they don't release it either?

I asked Jack this and he answered that the numbers will not be made public

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

We are JJP distributors and taking orders on both LEs and Smaug SEs... We have plenty left of both in our original allotment that are day 1 orders. Shoot us an email for your BEST price if interested in getting a Hobbit.
Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements
[email protected]
570-357-0042

So does this mean that you really didn't need to have your SE selection in by yesterday because distributors will have extras available within their allotted orders?

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

If you have the resources you can adjust any pin.

Glad to hear you like the LE version, didn't notice that before

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

SE won't ever match because like the RR woz many have tried to copy the color. All have failed.

#80 9 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

So does this mean that you really didn't need to have your SE selection in by yesterday because distributors will have extras available within their allotted orders?

If a distrib bought an SE to resell within the SE window and they have it available they can sell it whenever but yes no more SE orders will be taken.

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

SE won't ever match because like the RR woz many have tried to copy the color. All have failed.

But you've made the colors (and where they're available) public.

Again...just playing devil's advocate. I really love the look of the LE. Did I say that before? Take THAT, PinballRulez!

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Again...just playing devil's advocate. I really love the look of the LE. Did I say that before? That THAT, PinballRulez!

Gold isn't available public.

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Again...just playing devil's advocate. I really love the look of the LE. Did I say that before? Take THAT, PinballRulez!

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Damn.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

That THAT, PinballRulez!

Of course, I meant "Take THAT"...I had a blonde moment there.

#85 9 years ago

I can't decide between them, both look great.

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Damn.

Of course, I meant "Take THAT"...I had a blonde moment there.

That's what the quote says too

#87 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

That's what the quote says too

Ha ha! Thanks for getting my back. Now if Alex just changes his quote, I won't look like an idiot anymore!

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

What do you mean Alex?

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

What do you mean Alex?

The formula for the golden powder coat is not public. So it will be difficult or maybe not possible to reproduce the golden powder coat.

#90 9 years ago

...unless you are able to buy a set of hardware directly from, oh I don't know..., the guy who developed and provides the coating service for JJP games .....

#91 9 years ago

The formula for the golden powder coat is not public. So it will be difficult or maybe not possible to reproduce the golden powder coat.

This. It's not cots.

#92 9 years ago

I am so disappointed in the Hobbit movies, I don't see myself owning one...

#93 9 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

You do not have to own the movie to get this fantastic pin

#94 9 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

There are many bad movies that have made great pins.

#95 9 years ago

I enjoyed the Hobbit films.

#96 9 years ago

You do not have to own the movie to get this fantastic pin

This

Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

There are many bad movies that have made great pins.

And this

Quoted from Wamprat:

I enjoyed the Hobbit films.

This too

#97 9 years ago

My thought is, peoples main problem with the Hobbit movies is that they were too long and drawn out, should have been done in 2 or maybe 1 movie.

All that storyline will be compressed into the pinball machine. I doubt to get the full story you will have to play for 9+ hours.

So it will actually make the story work better than the movies did.

#98 9 years ago

I thought the LOTR license was better for pinball than the movies, and I feel the same about Hobbit. The movies are long and drawn out, but the story concepts are cool. The adventure aspects as presented in the pinball machines is great. I was thoroughly MEH on the Hobbit movies, but I am in on the game and looking forward to getting it.

#99 9 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

My thought is, peoples main problem with the Hobbit movies is that they were too long and drawn out, should have been done in 2 or maybe 1 movie.
All that storyline will be compressed into the pinball machine. I doubt to get the full story you will have to play for 9+ hours.
So it will actually make the story work better than the movies did.

I'm not so sure about that. You may need 9+ hours to get through the 30 modes.

#100 9 years ago

I still can't decide.
Arrrrgh!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 25.50
9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-le-se-le-decisions-decisions-please-post-photos/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.