(Topic ID: 158133)

HOBBIT LE - Lights not working on playfield.

By RichieWrench

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Pin_-_K
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20210919_152806498_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20210919_152819178_HDR (resized).jpg
2019-02-28_085348 (resized).png
IMG_3410 (resized).JPG
2019-02-28_084830 (resized).png
#1 8 years ago

I just got my Hobbit LE and the plunger is very weak ...not not work it looks like it is rubbing on something. But the bigger issue is that I do not have any lights showing on the playfield. Everything else is working as far as LCD screen. but none of lights are working on playfield. Can some give me some insight on this or has this happen to someone out there. I am not good tech...I am just a plumber...But i will try. Just seeing if anyone might be able to help.

#2 8 years ago

Check all the connectors to make sure nothing came loose in shipping including at the circuit boards.

#3 8 years ago

Is that all underneath...Remember...Plumber....lol. I do have a tech guy that can look at it on Tuesday. Just getting asking for some advance help to see if it is simple.

#4 8 years ago

Sorry to hear this... Has to be something loose underneath..

#5 8 years ago

Take glass off, lift playfield up and remove the metal cover revealing all electronics. Check for loose wires. If nothing is obvious, I'm sure Lloyd or someone with better hobbit experience will chime in shortly. Hate to hear your bad experience so far.good luck

#6 8 years ago

The LEDs plug into boards fastened to the bottom of the playfield, start there and be sure connectors are on tight. Then look carefully around the rear of the metal box with all the boards, behind it and along side. Something came unplugged.

LTG : )

#7 8 years ago

If you can't fix it, you should probably sell it (to me).

#8 8 years ago

Not good that they would let it leave the factory like that. Hopefully it is just a connector issue.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Not good that they would let it leave the factory like that. Hopefully it is just a connector issue.

The game went from eastern PA to Illinois down interstates that have not been repaired from winter. Ship happens.

#10 8 years ago

Want to say thank you to all for your help and Thanks to Frank @ JJP. I actually fixed it on my own with everyone help and it was a loose cable that plugs into the control board under the playfield. Frank is going to help on the other items that need to be fixed. Most are minor but what was important to me was that He was quick on the response ...VERY QUICK. Thanks to all for the comments -- This is best site for help for overall Pinball

2 weeks later
#11 7 years ago

Just received my Hobbit SE, everything seems to work except the playfield and ramp LEDs. I tried checking the connectors on the outside of the control board as well as several others that I thought may be more likely to have come loose.

Did you have to actually open up the control board and plug something back in? Which cable was it? I'm hoping we had the same one come unplugged, still no luck finding it.

#12 7 years ago

Power off the game.

Examine all of the connectors coming out of the back of the big silver box (computer) under the playfield, use a flashlight if neccessary.

Check to see if any are disconnected or loose (tug on them a little?) Maybe unplug and re-plug them in one by one.

Carefully examine the wiring harness on the playfield itself, from the bottom to the top, gently comb through it with your finger tips, see if anything seems disconnected.

#13 7 years ago

Turns out the problem was a micro usb cable that had come unplugged from the central circuit board with all of the grey led cables going into (go figure). It was hanging 3/4 of the way and I had missed it since I was focusing on tracing all of the colorful cables and not the plain black cable.

Thanks for your help LTG and Pinballinreno

#14 7 years ago

Great news, glad you got it sorted out!

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from goldant:

Turns out the problem was a micro usb cable that had come unplugged from the central circuit board with all of the grey led cables going into (go figure). It was hanging 3/4 of the way and I had missed it since I was focusing on tracing all of the colorful cables and not the plain black cable.
Thanks for your help LTG and Pinballinreno

Same thing happened to me a week or so ago. Easy fix.

#16 7 years ago

nothing better than tech supporting yourself and being able to fix the problem on your own. More and more on pinside need to start spending less time modding and more time learning how their games work. Kudos and a repair well done.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

nothing better than tech supporting yourself and being able to fix the problem on your own. More and more on pinside need to start spending less time modding and more time learning how their games work. Kudos and a repair well done.

I called tech support...

#18 7 years ago

but you still fixed it yourself. That's the difference.

2 years later
#19 5 years ago

Here are a few photos of the micro-usb location for the next person.

And on a personal note, the engineering underneath this machine is both awe-inspiring and terrifying.

2019-02-28_084830 (resized).png2019-02-28_084830 (resized).pngIMG_3410 (resized).JPGIMG_3410 (resized).JPG2019-02-28_085348 (resized).png2019-02-28_085348 (resized).png
2 years later
#20 2 years ago

Thank you for the photos. Just had same problem on a trade

1 week later
#21 2 years ago

Just had the same thing happen to our
Hobbit-Smaug !
Had to replace the MAN Drop Target Bank on ours as ALL 3 Target Ledges were either broken completely off or falling apart from the Rivets being Over-Pressed cracking the DT Target Ledges - the M & A DT's wouldn't stay up when resetting & the N was getting pretty iffy.
Anyhow when I turned the Game back on NO PF Lights or GI Lights, all that was on was the 4 Spot Lights.
Mini USB looked fine but barely pushed on it and LIGHTS !
JJP already had Cable Ties on it, apparently they weren't snug enough as what you see sticking out was how much I was able to tighten them by.

IMG_20210919_152806498_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20210919_152806498_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20210919_152819178_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20210919_152819178_HDR (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-le-lights-not-working-on-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.