p48uldt_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
140207_2723958_Pumping_up_with_Hans_and_Franz_anvver_3_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
a0133af6df8488abcb3bd3f0c2efd08e_(resized).jpg
LOTR_Roids_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 7 years ago

I've been extremely impressed with the game so far. The audio, FX, rules, and overall game quality is top notch. In terms of code the support so far has been excellent with 3 big updates in 3 months. Like the WOZ that sits next to my Hobbit I think it's simply one of the best pins ever made.

My favorite thing about The Hobbit is it's deep quest based ruleset. There's always something interesting to do or go after...and there's still much more to come!

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Can't believe the number of them for sale... many even before delivery!
New title announced... Excitement... SEND MONEY NOW!... wait... wait... yawn... sell... move on to next title... excitement... SEND MONEY NOW!.........................................................................................................
What a hobby...

Yeah, I think some people don't have the patience to wait for code updates to complete a game and give up on them too early. It happened with WOZ, ST, and Metallica as well. Others have had money tied up for years in the game and now need it for other things.

I played my first game on 1.21 this morning and I'm very impressed with how the games code is developing. You just can't find audio, FX and rules work like TH and WOZ have anywhere else. Both of these games are in a league of their own.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

soon, you'll be able to buy TH for less than LOTR.

Wtf is your problem with always being anti JJP? Months on end with the same old crap. You never stop with your snide and rude comments against them. Now I know why I set you on ignore in the first place along with the other members of the anti JJP possy. What a mistake to reverse that, goodbye!

Sure, keep thinking that. What a troll.

#53 7 years ago

I'll admit that when I first saw the Hobbit films in theaters I was a little bummed out at times. Well, I watched Battle of the Five Armies a couple weeks back (extended) and really enjoyed it.

So what changed? When I saw the movies in theater I watched them all in High Frame Rate (48fps) 3D. The fast motion of the HFR really through me off and I dislike the effect. Same goes for those motion smoothly settings on newer TV's, I can't stand it. I've watched the films at home in standard 2D @ 24fps and enjoy the films far more then the HFR versions. The extended scenes also make all 3 films better, especially the last.

I'm still glad I saw the HFR 3D versions in theater as thats how Peter Jackson shot the films but overall I think the faster motion of 48fps video hurts the films. I've read similar opinions in a few reviews.

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

The difference between TH and WOZ is that they are 2 completely different types of pins. If you like unique and different than chances are you are really going to like TH. Knowing that Keith will finish this pin off in his own unique style, makes the game even more appealing. So far with each update, the game becomes even more fun and challenging. What more can you ask for in a pinball macnine. Can't wait to see how Keith puts a period on this game.

Great points. Personally I think that Keith Johnson is making the most interesting and unique rulesets in pinball today. The amount of code work and the quality of it adds a lot of value to both WOZ and TH.

I can see just having a lineup of Keith Johnson pins one day as I tend to prefer his ruleset design, haha.

#104 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

But there are more shots on LOTR so there's more to shoot for in the end, and you don't have stupid little pop ups blocking the next shot you need to make, either. And the ramps are different shots from each flipper on LOTR, whereas the ramps on The Hobbit are the same. There's little satisfaction in ramp shots on The Hobbit because they're so wide and left and right are the exact same shot.
TH is nothing like LOTR other than overlapping theme, to be honest. It's definitely not a suped up version of LOTR when it has less going on under the glass in regards to shots and toys.

Modes like "Kill the Orc" are superfluous. We already kill the Orc over and over. Let's not dedicate a mode to it. So yeah, there's 31 modes, but what's the point of a mode like that one? It's to extend the list of modes, essentially. It's filler.

It sort of is a fan, just not a very populated one...

Yes you hate the Hobbit, oh how we know it and know how you despise it. There's no shots on the game, the pop ups are stupid, ramps are dumb, everything is boring, drop targets meh, heck there's nothing on the playfield either even though the game weighs in at 350 lbs, etc. My goodness why was TH ever made, its so damn bad! I've finally seen the light and I'm selling my game ASAP! lol

Why have a ramp that is used in a mode when it's used during regular gameplay right? Those modes in LOTR that require ramps to be made are just filler then right? Same for its shots. We already hit the ramps / shots over and over, let's not dedicate a mode to them...even if those modes have different rules, audio and animations then hitting them in normal play. My goodness what was Keith Johnson ever thinking!?

Seriously, you understand nothing about the rules of The Hobbit because you have already made up your mind that you hate it.

p48uldt_(resized).jpgp48uldt_(resized).jpg

#111 7 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

I have owned LOTR twice; and have put more than enough time on The Hobbit (sorry Panzer, Sky, etc), but these two pins are worlds apart. LOTR is fun, fast, has great code and is a much better table than the Hobbit for overall gameplay. The ramps on TH do remind me a bit of Fish Tales; but overall, the Hobbit is slow, floaty and simply not much fun. Perhaps further code will provide a moderately better experience; but it won't make the pin flow any better or create interesting interactive shots. We all know it's a matter of opinion and this is just mine. I think when all is said and done a year from now, LOTR will still likely be a top title and The Hobbit will be as it sits now.

Hey, I've owned LOTR twice as well over the years! The two pins are not worlds apart. LOTR is a great pin, one of the best ever made in my opinion. However, I find The Hobbit to be on another level and Keith isn't even done with the code yet. Everything I enjoy about LOTR is due to Keith's incredible ruleset and audio work done by Chris Granner. Without Keith's rules LOTR wouldn't be the pin it is today.

TH comes a decade after LOTR with the same programmer doing the code only this time there's will are 31 main modes versus 6 (plus multiple wizard modes), David Thield (one of the best sound engineers in pinball) on the games audio + a major Hollywood music production company creating the games music (Two Steps From Hell), a more loaded playfield and far newer tech (main LCD display, mini playfield LCD, RBG lighting, stereo sound, etc). The Hobbit pinball seems like an evolution of an already incredibly well made Middle Earth themed pin.

So yes, for me and many others TH pinball is LOTR on steroids

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from LadySlingshot:

I think people are cool with you loving the pin. But you seem determined to convince people they too must feel the same way. One question: why do you care so much? If you love, play it. No need to constantly fight for it like it's some political candidate or religion.

Nah, I understand that some people are not going to like the game, that's normal. I'm not out to convince anyone, especially those that no matter what you say won't ever like the game. However, I can certainly provide my opinion of why I think the game is fun, has a lot of shots, mode variety, etc when I have to read the same negative comments over and over again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 78.50

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-is-lord-of-the-rings-on-steroids?tu=panzerfreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.