p48uldt_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
140207_2723958_Pumping_up_with_Hans_and_Franz_anvver_3_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
a0133af6df8488abcb3bd3f0c2efd08e_(resized).jpg
LOTR_Roids_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

pretty sure nobady has paid over original sales price for a single GBLE.
Same with all the other high end titles. They cost too much fomr the start as the companies have wised up to charge as much as they can and cut the used car salesmen out of the picture as much as possible.

We've seen a sale go through on Pinside on a GBLE that was above sale price already.

As the risk of getting a thumbs down from PanzerFreak, I don't think that comparing TH to LOTR is a good idea. LOTR has way better shots, more shots, and a faster flow to it. After the early dust settles, people are going to realize that you get a much deeper experience with LOTR. Both might end up with very deep code and rulesets, but only LOTR has a variety of shots to carry the game to all-time great status.

Comparing WoZ to LOTR is more apt.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I own a LOTR and have played TH probably 30times now. I would say TH provides way more fun, shots, and lastability in a home collection.

And that's why I say "after the early dust settles." TH does a good job grabbing you early on, but after you've bashed your 10,000th pop up and hit those ramps, which is the same shot from each flipper, 500 times, it starts to feel fairly rote.

TH isn't a bad game, but it is going to be a case of a deep ruleset with a simple shot layout. Long ball times leveraging a smaller set of shots.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

I think it goes both ways. Seems to me this place has a Ford v. Chevy-type of vibe sometimes...!

There's nothing wrong with liking or not liking something. The key is all in how it's expressed. If you can give reasons why you don't like something, that's fair criticism. If you just hate on something because of the manufacturer's logo, or if you love it for the same reason, that's not helpful for discussion at all.

Quoted from dtowndobe:

Every pinball machine ends up being the same thing, over and over again. Every machine has finite set of "things" to do... Bash the Balrog again, hit the ring shot again, hit the loop again, hit the whatever again. If you have one machine, I personally can't see how you couldn't get board after a short amount of time. I have LOTR. Literally have not turned it on in over 3 months. Love the game, but just like every other pinball, it gets boring. I don't intend on selling it, but I will eventually have more machines so I have some variety.

Yeah, that's true of every game, but limited shot maps speed up the process. That's the big worry about The Hobbit. There's a lot of stuff to see in regards to modes, but the same few shots are recycled more often or they have to shoehorn multiple shots into one (lock and mode start on the right ramp, for example).

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

The more I play it the more I truly think this game was designed to appeal more to home use owners then on location. It just cannot be fully appreciated on location pumping money into it then spending time with it at home and dialing it in to your liking.

I've played it on location, at several shows, and a home machine. The home one played best, for sure, but my problems haven't been with setup. I'm just at a point where I favor challenge and variety of shots over long, story-driven experiences. I love LOTR, and still consider it a top 10 game for me, but I got to the point where I didn't need to play a single game for 30 minutes every time I stepped to it. I'll always play one if I find it on location or at a friend's house, but I just couldn't handle the long ball times. The Hobbit is even more forgiving of a game than LOTR and offers less in regards to shot variety.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinbally_1968:

Hobbit is Lord Of The Rings on Steroids
No..sorry that is GOT already.

Hmmm, that's not a bad comparison, actually.

#91 7 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

All the complaints about the open playfield or number of shots are pointless. There are only so many physical shots you can put on a playfield, but clever rules effectively give a game substantially more to shoot when there is a specific time and purpose.

Not when the shots are so few that you're re-using the same shots all the time. Do we really need Bash the Orc or Kill the Spider modes when you're constantly doing that anyway? Would it be better to have a mode start scoop rather than doubling up on the lock shot and having to do a weird "delay" lock button that sometimes is actually acting as something else itself? The small variety of shots forces some clumsy multi-use scenarios at times.

Sure, Keith is coding is butt off and doing a good job, but he has a limited canvas compared to what he was given with WoZ.

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

You do realize LOTR re-uses the same shots for its modes, right? It's all about the code

But there are more shots on LOTR so there's more to shoot for in the end, and you don't have stupid little pop ups blocking the next shot you need to make, either. And the ramps are different shots from each flipper on LOTR, whereas the ramps on The Hobbit are the same. There's little satisfaction in ramp shots on The Hobbit because they're so wide and left and right are the exact same shot.

TH is nothing like LOTR other than overlapping theme, to be honest. It's definitely not a suped up version of LOTR when it has less going on under the glass in regards to shots and toys.

Quoted from FalconPunch:

There are 31 modes. And you are complaining that the beasts are used in the modes instead of having another ramp/orbit? A mode where you need to kill a warm for example... What is better than hitting an actual warg?

Modes like "Kill the Orc" are superfluous. We already kill the Orc over and over. Let's not dedicate a mode to it. So yeah, there's 31 modes, but what's the point of a mode like that one? It's to extend the list of modes, essentially. It's filler.

Quoted from FalconPunch:

I bet if JJP make fan layout like ST/acdc everyone would hate it.

It sort of is a fan, just not a very populated one...

#110 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yes you hate the Hobbit, oh how we know it and know how you despise it. There's no shots on the game, the pop ups are stupid, ramps are dumb, everything is boring, drop targets meh, heck there's nothing on the playfield either even though the game weighs in at 350 lbs, etc. My goodness why was TH ever made, its so damn bad! I've finally seen the light and I'm selling my game ASAP! lol
Why have a ramp that is used in a mode when it's used during regular gameplay right? Those modes in LOTR that require ramps to be made are just filler then right? Same for its shots. We already hit the ramps / shots over and over, let's not dedicate a mode to them...even if those modes have different rules, audio and animations then hitting them in normal play. My goodness what was Keith Johnson ever thinking!?
Seriously, you understand nothing about the rules of The Hobbit because you have already made up your mind that you hate it.

You're a little unhinged.

The Hobbit very well could become a good game. Comparing it to an all-time classic, which doesn't really share any similarities, doesn't really work though, especially when the game has a lot of refinement left to go. I feel like WoZ is a modern take on TZ, for example. I can't really compare TH to much, and that's probably a good thing! Unique stuff is what we need. The LOTR comparison, however, just isn't appropriate.

But yeah, I do hate the pop ups. Fun for a little while, just in the way after too long.

#143 7 years ago

RobT complaining about people endlessly spouting negative opinions is the most hypocritical thing ever.

Quoted from RobT:

You know me better than that. The more you say shit like that, the more I will keep reposting about the fact that I don't like the movie(s)...and that the theme song sucks ass!
Seriously, that theme song would grate on my nerves worse than some of the sounds in WOZ, including the stupid witch.
Please reply to this post, so I can keep going.

Bang.

#146 7 years ago

Um, you guys, the Bally/Williams core is at Stern. Stern these days is basically an extension of the B/W legacy. Lyman, Ritchie, Freres, Gomez, Trudeau, and many other B/W members continued on at Stern.

JJP is as much Stern as it it Bally/Williams.

The industry is incestuous. They all are a giant mash-up of Data East, Sega, Stern, Gottlieb, Bally, Williams, Capcom, and Chicago Coin anyway.

That Rob...he mad. He's right, we do know him. We all know RobT.

#148 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Great point! I think so as well. Stern has had their chances to be like Williams/Bally but just couldn't do it. But, Stern does have some decent games just not good enough for my collection.

Stern's cost cutting and higher margin chasing gives them a Data East feel with a B/W layout. It's weird. JJP definitely chases, and actually surpasses, that B/W quality feel far more aggressively.

#152 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Nothing Stern does feels like a Williams/Bally. Nothing!! Sterns game play if totally different. Like i said, Stern has some decent games that are fun to play but, the feel is not the same as Williams/Bally/JJP. Its all good. If you like Stern, that's great. I'm glad they are still making pins but will have to soon up their game. Other companies are coming out with pins and are showing us they they too can make a good pinball in lieu of Stern.

I don't know how a company staffed by former Williams designers, artists, and programmers would create something that is totally devoid of similarity. I think you're wanting there to be a lack of similarity for some reason, but I don't know why anybody would care.

#154 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

jar155 and RobT: at this point you've both said your peace, please take any further discussion between you guys to pm or put each other on ignore if you would not mind (or just do nothing, also fine). Thanks guys.

I'm in for doing nothing. He's been on my nuts for a while, so i decided to give it back for once. I'm done and have already been ignoring anything he posts for a while. I don't have any interest in Internet slap fights.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 18.95
1,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Massillon, OH
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-is-lord-of-the-rings-on-steroids?tu=jar155 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.