Topic Stats

• 192 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Leechman
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bothpretty_(resized).jpg
warrior_(resized).jpg
p48uldt_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
140207_2723958_Pumping_up_with_Hans_and_Franz_anvver_3_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
a0133af6df8488abcb3bd3f0c2efd08e_(resized).jpg
LOTR_Roids_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

There are 192 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 3 years ago

I don't know how many of you guys out there have got your Hobbits yet but if you haven't your in for a treat that doesn't get old. This game is truely LOTR on steroids. The new 1.20 software is awesome and it never seems to stop pumping out new modes. You have to own this one to fully appreciate it in my book. You have to get into the rule set not just bat the ball around and rate it. If you like LOTR your gonna love this game! The Hobbit figures that you can buy go very well with the playfield layout. I also recommend the pinblades by Tilt Graphics for this game. The blades match the back board art and make it Middle Earth! Two Big Trolls look in on your game play! Very Cool! Thanks JJP for a great game and fantastic factory support!

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#2 3 years ago

csb

#3 3 years ago

Agreed !! I love my TH, and my Stern's haven't even been turned on in several weeks since it arrived.

#4 3 years ago

*yawns* did you guys see that cavs game?

#5 3 years ago

I'm gonna have to look into buying some figures for those areas. I've gotten a ball stuck twice now above the upper right flipper.

But I agree with the OP. The game is exceptionally deep and has so many different things going on. This is still without any coding for the Barrel Escape mini wizard mode as well as the Battle of the Five Armies mini wizard mode. I'm sure Keith has a final wizard mode planned after completing the initial three. Additionally, I'm sure there will be incentives to complete modes in future code updates.

And for everyone saying the upper right flipper is pointless must not be playing the same game that I am playing. While not always necessary, it is vital during certain windlance modes as well as Super Spinner and barrel kicks cash outs. Always nice to take out the pop up right next to the upper flipper as well during multiball. Lastly, I find it useful sometimes to hit the "E" target in "ELF".

Absolutely love this game and the direction that it is heading. Still trying to defeat Smaug mb, maybe one day.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

You have to own this one to fully appreciate it in my book. You have to get into the rule set not just bat the ball around and rate it.

100% agree with this, and I'm not particularly a deep rule set guy. So much more going on than Smaug MB and bashing the beasts, not that they aren't fun, but the 31 very different and demanding modes are what make the game, and once Keith has everything completed and balanced, the only correct word to describe it will be epic!!

#7 3 years ago

On videos I have seen, the drop targets seem to be extremely noisy. Like a machine gun going off. Is that still the case?

#8 3 years ago

Yes.
Software update cannot change the bang of 5 coils going off in quick succession

#9 3 years ago

I've been extremely impressed with the game so far. The audio, FX, rules, and overall game quality is top notch. In terms of code the support so far has been excellent with 3 big updates in 3 months. Like the WOZ that sits next to my Hobbit I think it's simply one of the best pins ever made.

My favorite thing about The Hobbit is it's deep quest based ruleset. There's always something interesting to do or go after...and there's still much more to come!

#10 3 years ago

I want to like the Hobbit because I love the theme. My problem is it has an excellent deep rule set, but the layout does not work and all of the drop targets make me think it is an EM on steroids. There has not been one person that can answer the question-"What does the third flipper do on Hobbit?" It had potential, but the layout killed it for me.

#11 3 years ago

Glad owners are loving their hobbits. I guess the theme brings out the LOTR comparisons. Not really seeing anything similar on the games other then both have deep rulesets. They couldn't be much more different to me.

#12 3 years ago

Can't believe the number of them for sale... many even before delivery!

New title announced... Excitement... SEND MONEY NOW!... wait... wait... yawn... sell... move on to next title... excitement... SEND MONEY NOW!.........................................................................................................

What a hobby...

#13 3 years ago

Nothing new there see the same thing with MMR and GB.

#14 3 years ago

I'm still discovering what I can do with the upper flipper. Highly recommend getting the game with the Rad Cals. My game has Rad Cals and they are incredible! You will never see a more beautiful cabinet and with the UV protection you won't see any fading either. Highly recommend putting the game in a well lit open space to be able to see all sides of the game because every side has a different scene.

#15 3 years ago

Lord of the rings is the hobbit on steroids.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

There has not been one person that can answer the question-"What does the third flipper do on Hobbit?"

*Snore*

http://i.imgur.com/tOOCRSl.gifv
It's a smaug shot in a flash back mode
Its the Smaug kill shot in Smaug Multiball

And it has more uses as well during normal play

#17 3 years ago

Interesting! I will have to look for that. There is a Mega drop zone into the Smaug Lock. Looks to be about 4". That hammer spot before the Smaug hole is going to be a spot of intense wear if left unprotected. I added two layers of Mylar to that spot and now the Mylar is getting hammered. I ordered a PF protector but I haven't got it yet. I hope it covers that area.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I want to like the Hobbit because I love the theme. My problem is it has an excellent deep rule set, but the layout does not work and all of the drop targets make me think it is an EM on steroids. There has not been one person that can answer the question-"What does the third flipper do on Hobbit?" It had potential, but the layout killed it for me.

The famous third flipper quote. There are only three shots with it which isn't many but there a lot of games like that. Hobbit is a game the more you play the more understand. It has a deep rule set. If you remember there was a forth flipper that has been removed in the last 12 months. What does it matter if there is only a few shots with it. Rad Cals and playfeild protector only way to go. This is a great game that it appears many people do not understand.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

The famous third flipper quote. There are only three shots with it which isn't many but there a lot of games like that. Hobbit is a game the more you play the more understand. It has a deep rule set. If you remember there was a forth flipper that has been removed in the last 12 months. What does it matter if there is only a few shots with it.

Because normally you need an extra flipper to hit a ramp, ball lock, scoop etc., not a simple standup or drop target which can be hit from another flipper.

#20 3 years ago

It is the kill shot in Smaug Multi ball mode. Please see FalconPunch post above. He provided a nice video. Only way to do kill shot just like many other games. This is a great post to get rid of the myth on the third flipper.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

New title announced... Excitement... SEND MONEY NOW!... wait... wait... yawn... sell... move on to next title... excitement... SEND MONEY NOW!.........................................................................................................
What a hobby...

Yeah, I think some people don't have the patience to wait for code updates to complete a game and give up on them too early. It happened with WOZ, ST, and Metallica as well. Others have had money tied up for years in the game and now need it for other things.

I played my first game on 1.21 this morning and I'm very impressed with how the games code is developing. You just can't find audio, FX and rules work like TH and WOZ have anywhere else. Both of these games are in a league of their own.

#22 3 years ago

The ball stick at the left return ramp is an easy fix. Use a bumper post instead of the screw that holds the ramp there. Ball won't stick anymore.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

What a hobby...

yup, I cant believe the number of GBLE already going up for sale.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

Lord of the rings is the hobbit on steroids.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

yup, I cant believe the number of GBLE already going up for sale.

Big difference here… GBLE commands big bucks right now or at least it was. Smart to cash in now while you can with GB. There's no money to be made with most other titles including Hobbit.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Big difference here… GBLE commands big bucks right now, or was at least. Smart to cash it now while you can with GB. There's no money to be made with most other titles including Hobbit.

soon, you'll be able to buy TH for less than LOTR.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Big difference here… GBLE commands big bucks right now, or was at least. Smart to cash it now while you can with GB. There's no money to be made with most other titles including Hobbit.

pretty sure nobady has paid over original sales price for a single GBLE.
Same with all the other high end titles. They cost too much fomr the start as the companies have wised up to charge as much as they can and cut the used car salesmen out of the picture as much as possible.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

Wtf is your problem with always being anti JJP? Months on end with the same old crap. You never stop with your snide and rude comments against them. Now I know why I set you on ignore in the first place along with the other members of the anti JJP possy. What a mistake to reverse that, goodbye!

Sure, keep thinking that. What a troll.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

pretty sure nobady has paid over original sales price for a single GBLE.
Same with all the other high end titles. They cost too much fomr the start as the companies have wised up to charge as much as they can and cut the used car salesmen out of the picture as much as possible.

We've seen a sale go through on Pinside on a GBLE that was above sale price already.

As the risk of getting a thumbs down from PanzerFreak, I don't think that comparing TH to LOTR is a good idea. LOTR has way better shots, more shots, and a faster flow to it. After the early dust settles, people are going to realize that you get a much deeper experience with LOTR. Both might end up with very deep code and rulesets, but only LOTR has a variety of shots to carry the game to all-time great status.

Comparing WoZ to LOTR is more apt.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

As much as I love LOTR I really doubt that to be honest.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

We've seen a sale go through on Pinside on a GBLE that was above sale price already.
As the risk of getting a thumbs down from PanzerFreak, I don't think that comparing TH to LOTR is a good idea. LOTR has way better shots, more shots, and a faster flow to it. After the early dust settles, people are going to realize that you get a much deeper experience with LOTR. Both might end up with very deep code and rulesets, but only LOTR has a variety of shots to carry the game to all-time great status.

Prepare to see a post of all possible Hobbit shots in 3, 2, 1...

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

more accurately we have seen the claimed sale of 1 GBLE for over original sale price and many others with high sales price that have not gone anywhere.

Quoted from jar155:

Both might end up with very deep code and rulesets, but only LOTR has a variety of shots to carry the game to all-time great status.

I own a LOTR and have played TH probably 30times now. I would say TH provides way more fun, shots, and lastability in a home collection.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

probably not, but who knows. there seems to be a lot of Hobbits up for sale with price drops. Only time will tell.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Wtf is your problem with always being anti JJP? Months on end with the same old crap. You never stop with your snide and rude comments against them. Now I know why I set you on ignore in the first place along with the other members of the anti JJP possy. What a mistake to reverse that, goodbye!
Sure, keep thinking that. What a troll.

No need to get your panties in a bunch. keep blocking people who have a difference in opinion.

#34 3 years ago

It's all about how said difference of opinion is conveyed. Some can do it eloquently and with thoughtfulness, others are just plain douch bags about it...

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I own a LOTR and have played TH probably 30times now. I would say TH provides way more fun, shots, and lastability in a home collection.

And that's why I say "after the early dust settles." TH does a good job grabbing you early on, but after you've bashed your 10,000th pop up and hit those ramps, which is the same shot from each flipper, 500 times, it starts to feel fairly rote.

TH isn't a bad game, but it is going to be a case of a deep ruleset with a simple shot layout. Long ball times leveraging a smaller set of shots.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

It's all about how said difference of opinion is conveyed. Some can do it eloquently and with thoughtfulness, others are just plain douch bags about it...

i totally agree. Some of the (Edited by Pinside staff) need to learn to express themselves with a little more consideration and compassion.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

And that's why I say "after the early dust settles." TH does a good job grabbing you early on, but after you've bashed your 10,000th pop up and hit those ramps, which is the same shot from each flipper, 500 times, it starts to feel fairly rote.
TH isn't a bad game, but it is going to be a case of a deep ruleset with a simple shot layout. Long ball times leveraging a smaller set of shots.

Every pinball machine ends up being the same thing, over and over again. Every machine has finite set of "things" to do... Bash the Balrog again, hit the ring shot again, hit the loop again, hit the whatever again. If you have one machine, I personally can't see how you couldn't get board after a short amount of time. I have LOTR. Literally have not turned it on in over 3 months. Love the game, but just like every other pinball, it gets boring. I don't intend on selling it, but I will eventually have more machines so I have some variety.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

i totally agree. Some of the JJP Fanboys need to learn to express themselves with a little more consideration and compassion.

I think it goes both ways. Seems to me this place has a Ford v. Chevy-type of vibe sometimes...!

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

I think it goes both ways. Seems to me this place has a Ford v. Chevy-type of vibe sometimes...!

There's nothing wrong with liking or not liking something. The key is all in how it's expressed. If you can give reasons why you don't like something, that's fair criticism. If you just hate on something because of the manufacturer's logo, or if you love it for the same reason, that's not helpful for discussion at all.

Quoted from dtowndobe:

Every pinball machine ends up being the same thing, over and over again. Every machine has finite set of "things" to do... Bash the Balrog again, hit the ring shot again, hit the loop again, hit the whatever again. If you have one machine, I personally can't see how you couldn't get board after a short amount of time. I have LOTR. Literally have not turned it on in over 3 months. Love the game, but just like every other pinball, it gets boring. I don't intend on selling it, but I will eventually have more machines so I have some variety.

Yeah, that's true of every game, but limited shot maps speed up the process. That's the big worry about The Hobbit. There's a lot of stuff to see in regards to modes, but the same few shots are recycled more often or they have to shoehorn multiple shots into one (lock and mode start on the right ramp, for example).

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

What you are saying is your opinion though - you have only tossed some quarters in the machine on location and said it just didn't hook you. I've played many top rated pins, including the ones in your collection, and many were not ones I preferred or would purchase myself. We all have our preferences on which games we like. Just like video games.. some like first person shooters, some RPGs, some like playing solitaire.. there's no "one size fits all" style of code and gameplay for pinball either.

Owning a TH myself and putting on a couple hundred games so far I can tell you that I personally do not find hitting the popups getting old, or the ramps, or anything else. I love the game and the deep code and massive amounts of modes and objectives are what keeps me coming back for more. Combine that with the Arkenstone modes, of which only one was recently released, there is so much depth in this machine it has much more longevity in a home environment then 95% of the other pins out there.

The more I play it the more I truly think this game was designed to appeal more to home use owners then on location. It just cannot be fully appreciated on location pumping money into it then spending time with it at home and dialing it in to your liking.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

The more I play it the more I truly think this game was designed to appeal more to home use owners then on location. It just cannot be fully appreciated on location pumping money into it then spending time with it at home and dialing it in to your liking.

I've played it on location, at several shows, and a home machine. The home one played best, for sure, but my problems haven't been with setup. I'm just at a point where I favor challenge and variety of shots over long, story-driven experiences. I love LOTR, and still consider it a top 10 game for me, but I got to the point where I didn't need to play a single game for 30 minutes every time I stepped to it. I'll always play one if I find it on location or at a friend's house, but I just couldn't handle the long ball times. The Hobbit is even more forgiving of a game than LOTR and offers less in regards to shot variety.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Yeah, that's true of every game, but limited shot maps speed up the process. That's the big worry about The Hobbit. There's a lot of stuff to see in regards to modes, but the same few shots are recycled more often or they have to shoehorn multiple shots into one (lock and mode start on the right ramp, for example).

6 in one, half dozen in the other. Boil it down - 10 shots with 15 animations / integrations per shot or 5 shots with 30 animations / integrations per shot (generalizing here). Ultimately it ends up being the same - what matters is what you like. Personally, I'd rather have more animations/integrations (code) versus more shots. Hearing the same callout for a shot versus hearing multiple call outs for a shot...

Perhaps LOTR is one of the few pins that has struck a decent balance of shots and code, maybe not. I do know that I'll probably need an example of a brutal & fast game to even out the collection.

I'm not worried about TH at all... Can't wait to get mine! And knowing I get bored easily, I have no doubt it will spend months on end never being turned on. I'll cycle through all the other things that vie for my attention and eventually I'll circle back and enjoy pinball for a few months again. I'm fickle like that.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Agree with this 100%.

Quoted from jar155:

I'm just at a point where I favor challenge and variety of shots over long, story-driven experiences. I love LOTR, and still consider it a top 10 game for me, but I got to the point where I didn't need to play a single game for 30 minutes every time I stepped to it. I'll always play one if I find it on location or at a friend's house, but I just couldn't handle the long ball times.

Variety is the spice of life!

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

It is almost every time the same thing: people buy a new machine unseen, get it and cannot convey the possibilities the machine will have when the software is further along. The quick reselling happens almost with every title that ships with uncomplete code. I myself fell into the same trap with ST LE. Could not sell it for months in a row end of 2014 and sold with a loss. After the last update it is very sought after and costs around € 9000 if you can find one.

Comparing WoZ to LOTR: I really do not like LOTR (owned it 2 times) and I love WoZ, go figure...

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Not too crazy. I sold a nicely modded HUO LOTR recently for $6800. I could see a really nice LOTR LE pulling in $7500. I sold my Hobbit SE spot a while back for $7300.

#46 3 years ago

The Hobbit is a fantastic game. Everytime there is a code update I think to myself, how can it get any better. Well, it does. With Keith behind he wheel, no telling where this pin will be ranked. For me, right now, it's in my top 5. All the guys who bash it, hate JJP and so on, go to the GB threads, plenty of reasons to bash that game.

#47 3 years ago

Hobbit is Lord Of The Rings on Steroids

No..sorry that is GOT already.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbally_1968:

Hobbit is Lord Of The Rings on Steroids
No..sorry that is GOT already.

Hmmm, that's not a bad comparison, actually.

#49 3 years ago

No its not..I owned one, I played hobbit, my GOT has more similarities than Hobbit

#50 3 years ago

I can understand when ppl compare it to MM though, but never to LOTR

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
There are 192 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside