image_(resized).jpg
IMG952895_(resized).jpg
IMG952878_2_(resized).jpg
IMG952898_(resized).jpg
IMG952889_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ezeltmann.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#198 8 years ago

Stupidly posted in the Hobbit update thread . DOH!

VIDEO:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2016-hobbit-update-thread-1/page/10#post-2945220

Review :

Artwork and playfield are absolutely stunning . Playfield was shining like a diamond.

Gameplay : I had a lot of fun playing this.

Pop up's were very active and also evident during the Multiball. F

For most of the first game i concentrated on trying the ramps , which i was able to backhand from either side, even on the fly.

The pitch of the game (shallow floaty) and flipper strength (seemed at a weaker setting) allowed for this to occur.
As previously discussed the book was very helpful , when you remember to look at it to know what the rules are for the mode or what shots are active to advance to a lock / mode.

I like the lock rollovers on this much better than WOZ (which i am not a big fan of) because of the placement in the middle of the field with nothing directly behind. You can hit the rollover and get a hit on something else.

Multiball was a real blast and it seemed like there was an initial maybe 2 ball multiball with added balls for achieving (i dont know) ?? Not sure which multi i was in but the pop ups were a big part of it and it was really fun knocking them out of the way and watching them being taken down by software to open up lit shots behind them.

The kickback lane was used nicely to hold balls to start whatever mode is associated with it. You can fire the ball out of the kickback with the Ring button. Sorry i didn't get a good handle on the rules . The operation of the game was impressive though do to the variety of places the ball can go. I like games that hold the ball to let you view animations with the ability to cancel out etc..

Captive ball was not installed , so i don't know what happens when you hit that.

Had the mode with the moving target and it seems like sometimes you hit the target right as its gonig down and you don't get credit. I could be wrong.

Side targets seem like they would be very hard to hit without a cradle. it's the only reason i could see setting up your game "floaty" or shallow. The inlane ball returns on this (especially right side) were almost stopping the ball. might have been due to white fluffy rubbers, but it seems like an area of concern for flow.

The sound was incredible and is begging for a sub , although the stock sound comes very close to reproducing a bass deep enough. When smaug speaks there is a ton of bass , so i can see a sub giving you the "shaking the floorboards" feeling we all know and love. This is why my ears are ringing constantly.

I only remember trying for bag-end shot once but it is a nice long shot and challenging. There is a lot more to do on this pin (shot-wise) than i initially thought , especially with the kickback lane being used for starting things.

Feel of the game was solid like woz which is no problem at all. layout is much better IMO and the theme rocks. It was a bit overwhelming trying to learn rules and i was just batting the ball around waiting for stuff to happen. luckily the pin can deliver in that aspect for newer players to enjoy it.

The ball did not get stuck anywhere while i played.

That's about all i can remember. Purged my brain shortly after.

Thanks to Al (pinaholic) for inviting me down and i hope my non shaky and maybe even rotated shaky video helps people that are waiting for this pin.

For someone like me who wasn't very excited for this pin , i am very excited to possibly own one in the future. Keep the faith .

ez

#202 8 years ago
Quoted from CobraClutch:

I am unfamiliar with this element. So you can stack balls in an outlane and shoot them at will? Is it a lock? Is it both lanes? I noticed the ball pause when draining on the right side but also saw someone mention it being due to a tight playfield layout. Any more insight you, or anyone can give on this part of the game?

I could be wrong .. but i am sure of the kickback lane holding the ball several times and i was able to make it kick out <might have been cancelling the animation or mode start.

There is an insert in the lane and i believe when it is lit , that mode is available and starts when the ball enters the lane . The game holds it and shoots it back onto the playfield. sorry , i couldn't really figure out exactly what the mode was or why it was happening . It was a cool gameplay element for sure.

maybe someone else who has played remembers this?

#203 8 years ago

Original video before stabilization. Seems to still be processing in youtube a little.

#209 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I'm USUALLY a aspect ratio nazi when it comes to video...
However...
PInball is one of the VERY few circumstances where portrait mode actually shows more of what we all want to see!

I've have heard via this group <pinside> that taking video horizontally is better , most likely due to the camera autofocus or the "intent " of the video software to take video in a certain position (all speculation on my part).

I used to take videos in portrait with my old phone and they came out worse than landscape. It seems to make sense to me to work in portrait due to what you mention above.

Anyone with camera knowledge want to chime in and give the details behind why or what should be done when taking these vids.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ezeltmann.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-is-at-classic-pinball-nj-today-only-come-see-it?tu=ezeltmann and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.