image_(resized).jpg
IMG952895_(resized).jpg
IMG952878_2_(resized).jpg
IMG952898_(resized).jpg
IMG952889_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#95 8 years ago

I came and saw it today.

I hate wizard of oz. I liked this. More of a conventional, fun pinball experience, so I doubt it will be as polarizing as the other JJP title. Amazing music and sound.

Thanks Kevin and al for hosting us today!!! NYC players are looking forward to seeing this soon in Brooklyn.

It looks and feels solid and expensive. We played it for a couple hours and no mechanical malfunctions of any sort. Has a pretty finished feel to it, good for such early code, but I feel like the many different modes have a way to go.

My absolute favorite feature is the book/display. Having a display whose sole purpose is to tell you what to do during modes is a fantastic idea. My complaint about games for years has been confusing or lack of instruction on what to do during modes.

The dragon is kind of hilarious but in a good way. I like when he breathes fire or talks on the screen and his mouth opens.

The film clips are integrated seamlessly with display graphics, they did a really nice job there.

Seems like when this game is finished it will be incredibly deep and polished.

#123 8 years ago

The game will be a real crowd-pleaser on location, I have no doubt.

Around here, some will love it, some will hate it, all will bitch. But for sure it's as fun machine that manages to introduce some unique elements without the insistence of reinventing the wheel like Oz did. I've always considered WOZ a bit buggy and clumsy and this one doesn't seem like that at all to me.

#133 8 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

What a cesspool.
Anyone left?

None of us would want to hang around with a bunch of idiots we don't know criticizing how we do our job, most likely.

#159 8 years ago

Can we turn the focus on this thread back to how myself and some friends got to play Hobbit, uninterrupted, for as long as we wanted yesterday, and how awesome it was? I mean, we played so much Hobbit that we were actually SICK of it. It was pretty sweet. Had to cleanse the palate with a game of Diamond Jack on the way out.

Also, there was pizza.

And stop comparing the trolling to RGP - I'm pretty sure no industry figure was bashed and baited as mercilessly there as I've seen around here, to their face, on RGP. And we used to have Steve Ritchie and others as regulars.

#165 8 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Thank you...now give us some detailed impressions since you got to play it so much!!

Nah that's really not my thing. I mean, it was pinball and it was fun. The rest of you suckers are just gonna have to wait. Also the pizza was from Patsy's - Frank Sinatra's favorite - and it's way better than anything you guys can get.

Wait. That was mean.

It's fun shooting the trolls and the spiders! Oh, and there's a mode where the drop targets raise and lower in order, and your goal was to shoot the standups behind the drops, and not the drops themselves. That was pretty cool. Mostly I just liked getting multiball and shooting at stuff. My highest score was around 490,000 I think. I hit drop targets and the captive ball with the upper flipper. Also hit the ramp a few times but that was just good for a horseshoe shot which didn't score anything.

#168 8 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

That sounds very cool, and unique. First I heard of that...thanks!

What a sweetheart. Well lets see what I else I got for Bruce...

The modes are all stackable on top of multiball and vice versa. But you can only light locks when lock is lit (and you can stack locks). But, you can change and start modes during multiball (left ramp changes modes, right ramp starts modes). The multiball on top of frenzy mode (points for switch hits) was lucrative, I think good for around 10,000 points.

#171 8 years ago

Not sure what to say about the code. It says .33 or something on boot up but it sure didn't feel like it was 33% done, much more refined than that. I think that 80% number is probably not hyperbole.

The only obvious "bug" I saw was the game yelling "Jackpot!!!" several times when multiball starts up. But you know this stuff goes the code could certainly have a ways to go. There's so many different modes I have no idea how done they are or how many I didn't play or what the wizard modes are going to be like.

As is played 2 different multiballs, a bunch of different modes, and everything was stackable. A much more finished "package" than when I played WOZ on test location the first time.

#175 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Oh, what is the other one that is in? I've only played the first and I'm curious to hear the newer stuff.

There is a multiball for hitting the ramp to lock, and there is a multiball that starts when hit the trolls enough times. Don't know if spiders (the lower pop ups) advance toward that multiball as well. They are stackable.

#180 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

So the scoring is lowish similar to WOZ?

Lowish but higherish. Score seems to build up quicker.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-is-at-classic-pinball-nj-today-only-come-see-it?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.