image.jpg
crickets_chirping.gif
pac_man_piechart.gif
trollgood.gif
238.jpg
239.jpg
riiight.jpg
thumbs_up.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrbally.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

I don't think Stern is making much money off their machines............ and would be shocked if JJP makes a dime off WOZ or Hobbit.

Don't you worry, Jack is making more than a dime off of this venture. Free machines for some distributors and charity, jetting around to all of the collector and trade shows, shuttling between HQ and the Midwest "campus" etc. He won't be forced to send the butler to Aldi's anytime soon for groceries.

As for Gary, I don't think he's worring about having to unload his penthouse at a loss and move to a flat in Bucktown or Logan Square in the near term.

#84 11 years ago
Quoted from pindome:

Bally,
Since you are so confident that this is such a profitable venture for JJP, why don't you break it down for us how much it costs to capitalize a new pinball company.
Salaries, Rent, Insurance, Parts, Attorneys, Licensing, Travel, Advertising, R & D, and all the rest.
If running a pinball company is such a great investment why only Stern for so long. My guess is Jack is doing it for the love of the game not to make a ton of dough. The headaches and nightmares he must have to deal with is more than most of us can comprehend. Plus he has to deal with all of us on the internet --- Just on that alone I'm out!

I never said it was "such a profitable venture" I said he is not doing it just for the love of the game. The JJP venture will help fund a comfortable retirement. He is probably hoping for an early one at that. His children could take over the day to day or if wildly successful, he could sell the business.

Don't forget that he sold over 10,000 Stern pins via pinballsales. Some of the revenue became profit that he has probably used in the JJP venture. He was a very good seller for Stern and I bought some NIB's from him even though I could have a paid a few bucks less from local distributors. I liked his attitude, the extended warranty and the fact he always picked up the phone no matter where he was at. I never had to leave a message and that spoke volumes for me. One purchase was like a handshake deal (but over the phone) as well as he arranged shipping before payment and I paid him as promised .

If there is a pin by JJP that I want (Woz and TH are not themes that I care for) I will be buying one that's for sure.

If you really want to know how much it costs to set up a new pinball manufacturing business, I can research my files as far as what Bally paid to tool up for the solid state pins in the mid '70's as the business model was similar. They stopped producing many stamped steel parts for the em mechs and outsourced. There was some disposal fees for obsolete equipment but their slot & Bingo machines remained EM for a few more years past the pinball transition. All we need to is adjust for US dollar inflation etc.

Let me know if you need the figures and I can research. However, I still need to make my video files from 8MM movies of Bally, Williams and Gottlieb from the Mid-late 70's and post them here.

1 week later
#113 11 years ago

About six years ago, KISS wanted a $300.00 license fee for their likeness on a slot machine. Adjusted for inflation, that's still about $300.

#282 11 years ago
Quoted from pindome:

They are still probably running in the red. Jack said on his site that you can get a refund at ANY time for Hobbit. You can get a refund for WOZ now if you wish.
Does Stern refund after payment has been made? I Never looked into this.

Merchandise credit only.

#284 11 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Who cares? If it plays as good as it looks nobody will be selling anyways. I personally don't buy games to make money. I buy them to play. It's value could drop down to $5000 or less and I wouldn't care because I will have gotten $6500 worth of entertainment out of it...I guarantee that. I do agree that you shouldn't be buying this game as speculation of making money. That won't happen.

Quoted from Pimp77:

Who cares? If it plays as good as it looks nobody will be selling anyways. I personally don't buy games to make money. I buy them to play. It's value could drop down to $5000 or less and I wouldn't care because I will have gotten $6500 worth of entertainment out of it...I guarantee that. I do agree that you shouldn't be buying this game as speculation of making money. That won't happen.</blockquote

Does anyone here feel they get X(insert NIB price paid) amount of entertainment on their NIB puuchases? I know I don't. There is still some value left in my machines so if I sell I hope to feel whole or who knows, maybe i'll be ahead. I only wish I could remotely feel this is possible with automotive purchases.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrbally.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-information?tu=mrbally and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.