image.jpg
crickets_chirping.gif
pac_man_piechart.gif
trollgood.gif
238.jpg
239.jpg
riiight.jpg
thumbs_up.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captainneo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#103 11 years ago

I was all set to order one. Until jack jacked up the price by 1500. Now i'm out.

1 week later
#130 11 years ago

because $6500 is more than enough for a pin. Even at this price point, he's still making mad cash. Actually he'd make more, because he'd sell a lot more. I know about 7 of us that would pull the trigger if his "Limited edition" was $6500 instead of 8000.

#132 11 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

I always thought 5K seemed like the cutoff point. I guess you probably wouldn't get much pin for 5k, when it comes to NIB.

Bullshit, at 5k they can give us everything they gave us in TSPP, LOTR, Sopranos. OUR price was 3200-3400 back in 2003-2006 era. You can't tell me production costs went up that much. even at 4% inflation every year, we are still below the $5k mark. They are just getting cheap about things. We could easily have nice quality, full ROMs, quality toys and be under the 5k price point. They jack up the prices, because people fall all over themselves for the opportunity to overpay.

#145 11 years ago

least with all the chit chat, it keeps his thread to the surface. If it wasn't for that. it would be bumped off the page in about 15 min and nobody would see it. Like most things on this site.

#148 11 years ago

that's 7 in my area alone. Take those numbers by %'s of pinball buyers of new games in that same demographic. Now you have your test sample. Take that number and spread it over the U.S. Now you can have an idea on how many Lost sales Jack as received because of this business plan.

#150 11 years ago

if you honestly think JJP isn't getting a 200% markup..... well.....

#164 11 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

Really? 200% markup? Did you do the math on that?
That means at the current price of WOZ LE or TH LE at $7500, you're estimating a total cost of $2,500 for all parts, labor, and development.

You didn't seem to have a problem with TF LE at $6500 or Xmen LE at $6300, meaning you saw the value in those machines at those prices. But in comparison, something like WOZ LE is way overpriced at $7500 for what you get?
Yes, in a perfect world everything would be twice as good and cost half of what it does, but personally I'd rather JJP build TH LE at $8000 with the kind of quality we're seeing in WOZ LE, than build it at $6500 with the kind of quality we see in TF LE.

Actually no I didn't buy Xmen or TF LE. And I wouldn't at those prices. I got both of them in a trade.

And if Sterns and JJP can make shitloads of money right now, because people throw their money out there without playing the stuff first. That's great. Good for them. How far can they go before a lot of you guys stop and think for a min, how much your spending on a NIB, you've never played only to be disappointed. The blind buyers is the reason they can ask, what they ask. And JJP, asking for money a year and half ahead of time, before his first is done. Jacks up the price another 1500 from the last model, and acts like $500 discount is a gift for getting my money year or years early is a laughable business plan. All it's going to do is piss off your demographic. And around here, it has. There's only a handful of us that can or willing to buy NIB. and seems JJP's business event has pissed off 80% of those around here. That's not looking good for JJP. If he makes it to 3 or 4 games, it will be a miracle.

#170 11 years ago

i've seen it and played it. YAWN. Looks pretty. Bore to play. Kinda like TOM.

For half finished code making it out in the masses every single game. You can thank the preorders for that as well.

#176 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I nearly did a Hobbit pre-order but then decided against paying now for a pin out late 2014. If it is really great, will pick it up when done. Unlikely to pre-order anything as would rather wait for finished game and see if I like it. Only exception might be a Pink Floyd pin

Quiet down about Pink Floyd pin. I don't want to see it because I don't want to be tempted to buy into this crazy NIB pricing war that's going on. But since I resisted Hobbit, I probably could resist Floyd. Unless it's main focus was the Gilmore years. Then I'd be sweating it out.

#179 11 years ago
Quoted from fusion301:

If its truly only $50 thats really not to bad but multiplied by 10,000 machines still 500k - Still can't deny the fact that some of the best games ever made did not have to rely on a license. Can someone bring back the 80's and 90's... thanks

Yea, TAF and TZ were dogs. STTNG, IJ. Just the numbers from TAF alone, out do all the production numbers of all WPC95's combined. I think License is more powerful than unique theme. We may not like it, but it's true.

and you quiet down Lloyd. It won't happen. Lucky for me. Pink Floyd hasn't done shit since 94' and doesn't look like they will again. So chances of Sterns giving a shit to go after that license is slim to none.

#188 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Since Gary hasn't listened to music since 1994, I think you are in big trouble there Neo.
Will you also be at the PF launch party at Expo this year ?
LTG : )

Can he even hear anymore anyway?

Hobbit cabinet looks great. Not $8000 great, but great. Still i'd rather wait and save $8000, and buy them on closeout at $4000 because there are way to many LE's floating around from the saturated pinball market with 10 people making pinball machines.

#191 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

He can hear your $10K plunking down for Pink Floyd.
LTG : )

In his head he could. But there is only one game i'd plunk down 10k for. And only 2 people know what that game is. No way in hell i'm putting down 10k for any new sterns or JJP title. Unless it came with a permanent Stripper that stays with the machine 24/7 to keep it clean and rub her tits on me while I play.

#202 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Of course you could just make that a MOD for any game and sell it at a more reasonable price.

what would suck, is that I would have to get 2 of those games, because the wife would want one so she can play with tits too. So it would cost me $20k for the tit rub edition.

Spiderman was $3500 NIB.

#207 11 years ago

Sterns was struggling with minimal profit then. That is true. Price increase was in order. But not double the price, and games half assed in the process.

#209 11 years ago

oh they still have a good share of gouging. Especially with this watered down shit. "lets give them half of the game for the normal price" bullshit. Good for sterns to cash in while they can. The market won't stay like this for too long. But when you pay for LE's and have tons of problems because they wern't playtested for shit, and code is half assed. WTF? That's when you should be pissed, as you paid double for what the game should have been.

#211 11 years ago

20% inflation per year for pinball. Not bad for them.

#225 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Whoever does not think both JJP and Stern are trying to charge as much as possible for a pin they can get away with is being a bit naive. They are making plenty off the top I am sure. 8 to 10K for pins that used to be $3500 to $5000 4 years ago in what is still a tough economy does not strike me as just a dramatic rise in cost of parts or labor. I could be wrong but I am highly skeptical about that.

Exactly.

And I think some are over valuing JJPs "quality". LCD in quanity isn't going to cost much more if not less than plasma DMD's. He's buying these in bulk and the technology has dropped so much in price. It would probably take more to manufacture a DMD with the circuit board and plasma gas glass, than to just crank out a china LCD screen. Computer motherboard. Again. in bulk. Cheaper than making your own board, having to have them assembled and mass produced for your company. Buy commercial mass produced computer motherboards. Again. Cost saving. Widebody? No extra cost. Think TZ cost more than TAF to build? Not by much. Direct ink playfield? Over what? silkscreened? Direct ink, is cheaper. JJP's cost isn't much more than sterns for production. He might have more into design and programming costs, but we will see by the results. If you talking build quality. Gottleib system 3's were built like brick shithouses. Sturdy, heavy as shit, and durable. Built like tanks and way above anyone else in quality. Too bad many of the games sucked. But build quality was top notch.

#227 11 years ago

Well jack does piss away money on some things that didn't matter. like the metal weld fabricated house. Really? needed to be a welded formed house that never comes in contact with the ball? No reason that couldn't have been a plastic molded house. This idea of "better build quality" is just throwing out money in places it doesn't do any good. Put that money into programming or somewhere else.

#229 11 years ago

how is the metal house good in anyway besides jacking up the cost? It's not interactive and you could get a lot more detail with a plastic molded house.

Seems extremely unneeded at an extreme cost to manufacture. Could have been used somewhere else. somehow I have the feeling he intended to do more with it, than what actually happened.

#256 11 years ago
Quoted from pindome:

I quoted Brain but this goes for Neo and the rest of you <edited> out there that want price controls on what a private company selling a luxury item should be allowed to make on their product.
Let say you commies have a Cirqus Voltaire that you paid $3,000 for a few years ago In your world you should now only be allowed to sell it for a reasonable mark up of maybe $300 otherwise you are gouging. I want to buy all your resale games that you bought a few years ago.
<edited>. Plus I don't think Jack is making any money on game #1. If this is such a profitable business why no Stern competitors for over a decade.
CASE CLOSED.
Post edited by The_Dude_Abides : Leave politics out of your posts please.

I don't want price controls. And it's really not Sterns or JJP that's allowing these price hikes. It's you guys preordering the second this stuff goes up for sale. If everyone is throwing out tons of cash at everything, without playing it, not caring if it's finished. not caring if there are manufacturing and design flaws. And no matter how much I increase the price another $500, $1000, $1500. I would look at it the same way. If these people blindly throw their money around. Cash in. Don't need price controls. Just need people to be smarter with their money. So the ones that are now paying 4k for a SS and 4k for a STTNG. Thank the ones that preorder every damn thing that is offered.

#265 11 years ago
Quoted from theBRAIN:

Why is it $1000 more than WOZ??

try $1500 more. Because he can, and buyers allow it to happen.

#273 11 years ago

please. Even at $6500 he's turning a sweet profit. He's just trying to recoup all his business startup costs in one release. When starting a new business it's suppose to be over a period of time. THese machines are a lot cheaper to make than you guys realize. If you think it costs more than $3k to completely manufacturer a machine when buying parts in bulk. You really don't know the purchasing aspect of things. That price includes the design costs. I'm sure jacks design costs are going to be higher, since this is his first machine and i'm sure he made some mistakes along the way, and had to redo and change things. that's what happened to Gene. Plus Gene's run was much smaller. So your costs are higher. He had some major production problems that put his cost through the roof, hence why he ended up taking a loss. For full production runs, you cost per game is significantly less. Since design and programming costs, get cheaper the more games you make.

props to the pacman pie chart. This is pretty much the exact business model Jack is going for. Walka walka.

#287 11 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I'm not sure where you're pulling your numbers from CaptainNeo. Checking RGP, it's agreed that Gene Cunningham lost a significant amount of money when he built BBB and he was charging $4500 each back in 2007 or thereabouts. Granted he only made 150 machines but it was also already designed, software written and he didn't set up an entire factory!
Jim

He still had to build the game, which is a majority of the expense. Gene's expenses went over budget because he had several thing happen with playfields where they were shit and he had to get them remade, plus another bad deal with cabinets, and boards. He had one bad deal after another which cost him tons of money each time. With a production run of only 150ish, you can't recoup major losses like that. jack is making 1000's so the overcost gets less and less for design and what not.

#292 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Yeah but you have to remember Jack has to pay for a design team, software engineer, patents, etc.
He has a lot more on his plate then a guy trying to build a game that was already made.

yes, but the price of those items goes down drastically, when you have production numbers in the 1000's compared to 136. You don't think Jack is banking on selling at least 5000 WOZ's? He's hyped this up so much, you know the numbers are at LEAST that high. if not more. Jack thinks he's the second coming in the pinball world. When you have those kinds of numbers. Your looking at around $10 per game for design and software programing.

It's like having something printed. If you have a 4 color process, they usually charge you $200-250 per color per plate/screen. So right up front your looking at $800-1000. if you make 100 shirts/posters, your costs is going to be astronomical. now make 5000. That charge is insignificant.

#296 11 years ago

that's true. So game 1 is more expensive to make than game 2. By game 2 he has everything ready to go and has his shit together. His prices should at minimal , stay the same if not go down.

Jack claims he's going to sell way more than 5000 Woz's. Just LE numbers alone are what? 1000? Says every op is going to want one of these on location. 5000 are WPC95 production numbers. He's talking revolutionary. that's 10000 or more.

#308 11 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

I was just wondering how they can defend Stern prices when attacking JJP for a $500 increase on their second pin saying they should be going down.

where you getting $500 increase from? Prebook WOZ $6500. Prebook TH $7500. That's $1000 in my book.

#310 11 years ago

Used pin prices are not the same as NIB. NIB would increase $100 per year. If that. Used, was all over the place depending on the flavor of the month. Cannot use logic of one, with the other. One is a collector market, the other is manufacturing consumer product.

You talk about innovation. Yet I never hear you speak of p3. JJP has nothing of innovation. Color display. Big whoop. THat's not innovation any more than it was for Sega to go with a Large DMD. yea, that really changed things up for Sega didn't it.

#312 11 years ago

you mentioned Innovation. I was just wondering what you were refering to, because I didn't see any mention of p2k or p3.

#314 11 years ago

JJP pulled new people in? So before JJP existed you didn't give a shit about pinball huh?

#317 11 years ago

play it. Played pretty good. Way better than Woz did when I played it. Least it's innovative. So many possibilities they can go with. Changing how the ball interacts with the playfield. Being able to have the ability to have the game see where your ball is going and what direction. THat's fantastic. Could make games battle with the player. Screwing with them. Grabbing the ball, stopping the ball, redirecting. Plus the graphic enhancements. Interchangable backhalfs for playfields, is just a nice bonus, and can be done extremely cost effective. Completely change the dynamics of your game for $1000. New software, would feel like a totally different game. People already claim AFM, MM feel like different games. Tho they are almost identical layouts and rules. So this really would be different.

As for the other comment. You arn't new to pinball tho. You played back in the golden age of TAF and TZ. I didn't buy my first game until 8-9 years ago. But played in the early 90's hardcore. I'm surprised you would have heard about JJP, if not in the pinball community to begin with. If I asked anyone of my relatives besides my dad, what JJP was. Nobody would know. How did you stumble upon something when you wern't even looking?

#319 11 years ago

I was seriously thinking about it. But I want to play the finished product. No preorder here. And if I can get enhancement interchangeable new games for $1000 or less and make it a new game. that is very appealing. You only buy the cabinet once. Kits after that. P2k was going to do something similar if they would have been able to.

Plus, it's not a whole playfield. Which makes that 1/3 of a playfield fit into a box barely bigger than a laser printer color cartridge. Very easy to throw that under your game for storage. Could have a pile of 4 or 5 games under there and swap out in less than 5 min. They also said the software would know what playfield you dropped in, and automatically turn on the software for that game. So no software swapping. How awesome is that?

#321 11 years ago

Most of us don't look at "list" price for any game. If we arn't willing to pay the $6500, we sure the hell arn't going to pay the $7500. You know even with sterns. They suggest say Ac/DC premium at $6700 or somethign like that. and you know damn well no one thats in the "know", pay that. We are all paying $6100-6200. I don't even know of anyone that paid full retailed suggestion for any Sterns.

For me, I saw $1000 increase over WOZ. I was prepared for the $6500 price tag. Was not prepared that he would increase that prebook price $1000. and 2 years in advance. So in my eyes. It's $1000.

#341 11 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

krupa, see below from one or pages back in this thread.

If that were true Stern pins should cost less as they go. I understand they are in it for money, I was just asking him to to explain that. In the end they are all going to charge whatever the market will take.
I would submit that Hobbit may have came down in price if Stern did not add $1,000+ to their prices when WOZ was released.

Sterns see's it's competitors selling similar product for X dollars. They see the market is going for that price. They are going to increase, and just stay under it and reap the profits from it as well. If jack would have came out and said $5k. Sterns would have came out with $4500. Sterns doesn't want to be the most expensive machine out there. But they do want to get as much of that money everyone is throwing around. If it wasn't for Jack and his "i'm going to be the best and charge the best for quality" attitude. Sterns would still be in the $4k range for NIB. Sterns turned into a monster, because of Jack. But time will tell if jack lives up to all his hype. But the price war is going to come sooner than you think. Anticipation only sells so long. Onces it's out, it's going to come down to price, theme and layout. Just like it did before. Jack will learn from his mistakes, just as Sterns is still learning even 13 years later. Sterns used to not give a shit about the collector market. IT was all "for the ops". Sterns is realizing the home owner is the one to spend foolish money more so than ops.

#349 11 years ago

It's not jacks fault they do it but he laid the carpet for them to do it. I'm not blaming Jack or Sterns for the prices anyway. It's not their fault. It's our fault for buying them at that price. If we didn't buy them, they would know it's too high and shoot for a lower price. THe ones that buy before you play and throw the money at them are the ones that cause it to happen.

#366 11 years ago

Also a fan of P3. Refreshenly new concept that has endless possibilities. Greatest thing since P2k.

#368 11 years ago

yea, I havn't plunked down 10k on it either, as i have a huge problem paying over 6500 for any game. But it's still early. There might be some perks coming with it, that make it worthy of 10k. But the ideas coming with it, are fantastic.

#370 11 years ago

that is true. I just want to see where they go with the artwork and software for both of those. If it truly does feel like 2 completely different games.

#376 11 years ago

i've played it at expo, but would love to play a finished version.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 25.50
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captainneo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-information?tu=captainneo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.