Topic Stats

• 378 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jjsrt8
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

photo_2(2).JPG
image.jpg
crickets_chirping.gif
pac_man_piechart.gif
trollgood.gif
238.jpg
239.jpg
riiight.jpg
thumbs_up.gif

There are 378 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
#1 6 years ago

I have Hobbit Limited Edition Pins with low numbers that are available for sale now.

The numbers I have that have not been taken are # 127, 133, 136, 138, 152, 153, 164, 211, 216, 233, 241, 242, 243, 360, 474, 497, and 557.

You can reserve you number with a $500.00 deposit through January 31, 2013 and purchase the Hobbit at the price of $7500.00. The deposit gets you in on the payment plan for the Hobbit that will allow you to pay payments for the pin until its release in 2014. After February 15, 2013 the price goes up to $8000.00 so do not miss this great opportunity to pre-order your Hobbit today.

Pay the entire balance and shipping is free.

As information becomes available on the regular Hobbit pin I will keep you updated but I should have ordered more ECLEWOZ than standards. I did not want to go that route this time so I ordered more LE

#2 6 years ago

Jack said a good hobbit update min Feb.

#3 6 years ago

Still waiting for WOZ before any money goes towards Hobbit. I cannot be alone on this.
Maybe he wants money for the 4th machine before I get my first. (business is much easier nowadays)

I am glad there are more makers but asking for money on 2nd before 1st ever is completed and after 2 years of waiting is a load of crap. IMHO

#4 6 years ago

Buddy,

I'm interested in The Hobbit, but want to find out if the money refundable if I change my mind before the pin is released.

#5 6 years ago

When I get my WOZECLE then I'll show interest in 2nd game.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Buddy,
I'm interested in The Hobbit, but want to find out if the money refundable if I change my mind before the pin is released.

Yes, only need a 500 dollar deposit to reserve and select a number. Some are still getting WOZ refunds even last week I had my first LE cancel. 2 people in you area got WOZ refunded and oddly that worked out as they were sold at the new higher price, remember ordering early gets the discount as the price will go up like WOZ price increased along the way.

I can do the same payment plan as JJP and drop the pin off at your house as I come back from New Jersey in the box truck. Made the trip once already to get the ECLEWOZ prototype, and two new test arcade racer games plus another Disco Round which always earns well for locations. Going to Baltimore Wed to finish getting some stuff from Chuck Weiners place.

#7 6 years ago

I opted out on this machine. I feel these insane prices have been generated because of Jersey Jack and because of it we are gonna see the demise of pinball. I may end up eating those words but after sales tax and shipping it was $8300.... um no thanks. I really wanted the hobbit also. Oh well I guess ill stick with the predator boys and whatever else they come up with in the future. Atleast they are trying to sale machines at a managable price. Jack on the other hand needs to come back to reality out of the stratosphere.

As I said I may end up eating my words but the only way to get prices lowered is by not buying into this.

Sorry to add this into your thread its just there are about a hundred JJ threads and I grabbed one. (Flame suit on)

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Buddy,

It is 100% refundable. Personally speaking I have waited long enough for WOZLE and don't feel like jumping thru all those hoops again for Hobbit. Especially for only a $500 discount. We got a $1000 discount to put up with this for WOZLE so it somewhat made it worthwhile. But for $500 discount only I am out. I can pretty much make that up daytrading with the money in the meanwhile and then choose to buy the game or not when it is done (or when someone else is tired of it). Additionally, I am tired of these new game prices skyrocketing and am somewhat drawing my line at $7000 for a new game. All this insanity has to stop somewhere, and it will not stop as long as we all keep blindly buying games to ensure we get a copy of the newest LE. Example: Avengers LE. Nothing in it to make it worth that kind of money. JMHO....

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

I am tired of these new game prices skyrocketing and am somewhat drawing my line at $7000 for a new game. All this insanity has to stop somewhere, and it will not stop as long as we all keep blindly buying games to ensure we get a copy of the newest LE.

The prices are insane, no argument there. But compared to the prices of some of those 15+ year old games, some of these modern games have newer technology and offer more in terms of rules and game-play, and in several cases actually cost less.

I think the skyrocketing prices of old games is more egregious than the prices of the new games. I would have never have considered buying a NIB game until I saw the difference in cost. The newer games are priced close to the same as these older games.

#10 6 years ago

I agree that the pricing is nuts, but I would much rather a WOZ or Avengers than any of the higher priced older machines.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from doughslingers:

Some are still getting WOZ refunds even last week I had my first LE cancel. 2 people in you area got WOZ refunded and oddly that worked out as they were sold at the new higher price, remember ordering early gets the discount as the price will go up like WOZ price increased along the way.

Hobbit will go up even more?!?!? WTF? As in $8500 would be the normal price next year?? Sweet Jesus I hope that doesn't happen

#12 6 years ago

I have just got back from the EAG show at London Excel Centre.

Jack was there with 2 WOZ LE's. the quality of them blew me away! Speaking with Jack at length about his plans/views on pinball, he really does care and wants to release a superior product....and it is. Those who have per-ordered LE's will not be disappointed. Those over here in UK that had doubts on theme and quality ended up buying standard WOZ. No shortage of interested buyers/operators wanting more information on WOZ from UK distributor PINBALL HEAVEN

Jack showed me some pictures of the approved cabinet artwork for HOBBIT with GOLD trim, very nice. No playfield pictures as still early days but after seeing WOZ Jack has certainly raised the bar for Stern, AND himself for his next pin. But if he gives his creative team free run again then it's going to be out of this world!

The payment plan makes it easier for me to make payments. Once you see/play WOZ you will see that the only difference between standard and LE is the trim, topper, shaker the playfield and features are no different unlike Sterns models.

I'm in for HOBBIT #83 although if anyone on here has #84 or #730 and wants rid let me know as I would prefer either of these numbers to match my BBB or TAFG

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

Jack showed me some pictures of the approved cabinet artwork for HOBBIT with GOLD trim...

details please....colours, what was on it... anything

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

I have just got back from the EAG show at London Excel Centre.
Jack was there with 2 WOZ LE's. the quality of them blew me away! Speaking with Jack at length about his plans/views on pinball, he really does care and wants to release a superior product....and it is. Those who have per-ordered LE's will not be disappointed. Those over here in UK that had doubts on theme and quality ended up buying standard WOZ. No shortage of interested buyers/operators wanting more information on WOZ from UK distributor PINBALL HEAVEN
Jack showed me some pictures of the approved cabinet artwork for HOBBIT with GOLD trim, very nice. No playfield pictures as still early days but after seeing WOZ Jack has certainly raised the bar for Stern, AND himself for his next pin. But if he gives his creative team free run again then it's going to be out of this world!
The payment plan makes it easier for me to make payments. Once you see/play WOZ you will see that the only difference between standard and LE is the trim, topper, shaker the playfield and features are no different unlike Sterns models.
I'm in for HOBBIT #83 although if anyone on here has #84 or #730 and wants rid let me know as I would prefer either of these numbers to match my BBB or TAFG

Wow.

Artwork already!

Who is designing the playfield?

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

details please....colours, what was on it... anything

I can't imagine them having the cabinet artwork already...the image of Smaug is yet to be released and with two movies to go how can you just use the material from movie #1?? How can Smaug NOT be featured on the cabinet?

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Hobbit will go up even more?!?!? WTF? As in $8500 would be the normal price next year?? Sweet Jesus I hope that doesn't happen

No joke!

Man if I had been waiting so long on a WOZ and they started work & advertising on another pin before I received it I would be pretty upset.

#17 6 years ago

The artwork was approved very recently, maybe since he has been in London. I'm sure Jack will update very soon.
I'm not going to give anything away but I'm defiantly IN!

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

The artwork was approved very recently, maybe since he has been in London. I'm sure Jack will update very soon.
I'm not going to give anything away but I'm defiantly IN!

I'm pretty sure if he is showing pretty much anyone at a show that he doesn't care if the details are spilled...that is unless he specifically said not to share with anyone.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I can't imagine them having the cabinet artwork already...the image of Smaug is yet to be released and with two movies to go how can you just use the material from movie #1?? How can Smaug NOT be featured on the cabinet?

It may not yet be released to the public, but maybe Jack has access? All three movies are done shooting right?

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I'm sure WB has provided whatever artwork is available to Jack in order to make the game. It may not be public knowledge yet but I can't see how they'd sell Jack the license & not give him advance info.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from bluevegas:

It may not yet be released to the public, but maybe Jack has access? All three movies are done shooting right?

Quoted from LBJ:

I'm sure WB has provided whatever artwork is available to Jack in order to make the game. It may not be public knowledge yet but I can't see how they'd sell Jack the license & not give him advance info.

Yeah, I suppose that's true...he probably shouldn't be showing joe-blow at a pinball show then I would guess if it was unreleased info?

#22 6 years ago

Thats it! I have to stay out of these threads. Hype train for a 2014 Hobbit, maybe with not one finished WOZ in a home.
Painful. Not good or bad…just painful.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

the only difference between standard and LE is the trim, topper, shaker the playfield and features are no different unlike Sterns models

really like this move on Jack's part. You get what you pay for, not an artificial cost for an extra hole in the playfield. Thanks for the news dude now I'm dieing to see pics in feb!

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Good question

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from bluevegas:

thats what i was thinking

#26 6 years ago

The movies are done shooting but the special effect are most likely not even close to done. I imagine smaug is 100% special effects?

I expect a sweet interactive smaug toy and troll bumpers. make it happen Jack!

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Wow.
Artwork already!

Balcer and Keith Johnson, unless things have changed.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from gorgar007:

I imagine smaug is 100% special effects?

no, he is real

#29 6 years ago

I'm torn I want to save 500 bucks and pre-order a Hobbit. Because I know Jack and team will top themselves. But the wait is killing me . My funds will be gone and especially if Star Trek turns out to be a great pin

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I agree that the pricing is nuts, but I would much rather a WOZ or Avengers than any of the higher priced older machines.

That is another valid point to this conversation. I guess my biggest fear at this point is a potential bubble when supply outstrips demand. With two "big" manufacturers, and numerous boutique manufacturers combined with the high quality guys doing professional restorations it would seem that we would run out of buyers for all these games when the price gets up to $8000+. I just don't feel comfortable having games with that much cash tied up in them. Every bubble bursts eventually. If these games start sitting in stock at these prices it will be a sign that the bubble is starting to deflate.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Man if I had been waiting so long on a WOZ and they started work & advertising on another pin before I received it I would be pretty upset.

Not upset at all. In fact, I'd really be concerned if they artificially delayed work on the next project. I mean, cabinet artists sitting around staring at Keith aren't going to make him code any faster.

#32 6 years ago

I think $8000 is a bit high, but it's not outrageous for a high end machine. One that is using the best parts. People overlook the fact that Stern makes Pro machines for under $5000 which is right in line with pricing from the 90's (after factoring inflation). It's just the LE and Premium style machines that are high, and it appears there is a market for them.

Pinball's biggest problem is that it requires intense labor to put together a machine. Labor that can't be outsourced to China at the moment. It requires talented developers and designers who command high prices. If I thought these companies were rolling in dough and taking advantage of people, I'd be upset. But I don't think Stern is making much money off their machines and would be shocked if JJP makes a dime off WOZ or Hobbit.

#33 6 years ago

I just don't feel comfortable having games with that much cash tied up in them.

If you are getting a pin with anything but DISPOSABLE income then you shouldn't be getting it IMO. If you don't feel comfortable, don't do it. If you think its priced too high, don't do it. If you don't like the "deposit on game #2 before game #1 is shipped" policy, don't do it. It really is as simple as that.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

People overlook the fact that Stern makes Pro machines for under $5000 which is right in line with pricing from the 90's (after factoring inflation). It's just the LE and Premium style machines that are high, and it appears there is a market for them.

The difference is that the LEs are the 90's manufacturer's PROs. So yeah, pricing is out of line...even with inflation.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

Not upset at all.

To each their own as always. I hope your WOZ gets to you soon and you love it!

#36 6 years ago

The other thing you have to factor into the pricing of pinball machines is that they hold their value pretty well.

#37 6 years ago

If they were not making "much money" off these machines they would not be in business. Stern was making money/staying alive at their previous pricing. When Jack jumped and advertised his price at the "insane pre-order price" of $6500 Stern immediately upped their price by over $1000. Thats more than a 20% increase overnight.
Just sayin....

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

The other thing you have to factor into the pricing of pinball machines is that they hold their value pretty well.

If you are lucky enough to buy the right LE machines in advance with a blindfold over your eyes you are correct. All it take is for a buyer to buy one turd to blow that theory. It kinda puts us in the situation to having to buy every LE game that comes out to cover your losses on the occasional turd. The shame of it is that the games are not turds, just the code. Lets all hope that Stern does fix these problems and compete in quality as well as price in the future. If they will not match the quality they will have to provide a good game at a lower price. We might have the start of a JC Penny VS Wallmart thing going on here eventually, because Stern has a long way to go to match JJP's quality. But for some reason they seem to think they can command the same price.

#39 6 years ago

If they were not making "much money" off these machines they would not be in business. Stern was making money/staying alive at their previous pricing. When Jack jumped and advertised his price at the "insane pre-order price" of $6500 Stern immediately upped their price by over $1000. Thats more than a 20% increase overnight.
Just sayin....

Stern was adding investors and capital a few years ago. Not a sign of a company who was cash rich. If they are profitable, I don't think it's by much, and I think it's a new revelation.

Like I said, Stern offers a Pro version at under $5000. So those who don't care about all the little extras can get a good machine at a good price.

#40 6 years ago

Just sayin....

Yep, you're dead on here.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Jack said a good hobbit update min Feb.

You mean they are actually updating when you'll get an update? Craziness!!!!

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

When I get my WOZECLE then I'll show interest in 2nd game.

Restraint? I'm proud of you...

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

I don't think Stern is making much money off their machines............ and would be shocked if JJP makes a dime off WOZ or Hobbit.

Don't you worry, Jack is making more than a dime off of this venture. Free machines for some distributors and charity, jetting around to all of the collector and trade shows, shuttling between HQ and the Midwest "campus" etc. He won't be forced to send the butler to Aldi's anytime soon for groceries.

As for Gary, I don't think he's worring about having to unload his penthouse at a loss and move to a flat in Bucktown or Logan Square in the near term.

#44 6 years ago

If you are lucky enough to buy the right LE machines in advance with a blindfold over your eyes you are correct. All it take is for a buyer to buy one turd to blow that theory. It kinda puts us in the situation to having to buy every LE game that comes out to cover your losses on the occasional turd. The shame of it is that the games are not turds, just the code. Lets all hope that Stern does fix these problems and compete in quality as well as price in the future. If they will not match the quality they will have to provide a good game at a lower price. We might have the start of a JC Penny VS Wallmart thing going on here eventually, because Stern has a long way to go to match JJP's quality. But for some reason they seem to think they can command the same price.

I wouldn't buy any machine without playing it first. And I don't think purchasing a pinball machine should be about re-sell value or luck. If you like it, buy it. If you don't, pass. And I'm not talking about retaining all its value, I'm talking about retaining some/most of its value. Pinball machines have done a remarkable job of maintaining some value. Even the worst of games produced over the last 10-15 years still command a couple thousand in good condition.

Which brings me to my point. What is the worst case scenario on a new $7k machine? In 4-5 years you'll still likely be able to get $4k-$5k for the machine (as long as you keep it in good condition). It's not like a smartphone or computer that will lose all its value in a few years. At which case you paid $400-$500 a year to have a machine in your home. Not too bad for a luxury item.

If Stern was making tons of money off these prices, there would be more pinball companies. I think people underestimate the costs that go into this stuff.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Don't you worry, Jack is making more than a dime off of this venture. Free machines for some distributors and charity, jetting around to all of the collector and trade shows, shuttling between HQ and the Midwest "campus" etc. He won't be forced to send the butler to Aldi's anytime soon for groceries.
As for Gary, I don't think he's worrying about having to unload his penthouse at a loss and move to a flat in Bucktown or Logan Square in the near term.

Bally,

Since you are so confident that this is such a profitable venture for JJP, why don't you break it down for us how much it costs to capitalize a new pinball company.

Salaries, Rent, Insurance, Parts, Attorneys, Licensing, Travel, Advertising, R & D, and all the rest.

If running a pinball company is such a great investment why only Stern for so long. My guess is Jack is doing it for the love of the game not to make a ton of dough. The headaches and nightmares he must have to deal with is more than most of us can comprehend. Plus he has to deal with all of us on the internet --- Just on that alone I'm out!

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

The difference is that the LEs are the 90's manufacturer's PROs. So yeah, pricing is out of line...even with inflation.

Close comparison, but the LEs are not up to the standard of the 90s games. They have cheapened many of the parts on the LEs. However, the layout and depth of the LEs are comparable, but that does not justify the latest round of price increases for them. It seems that Stern is just trying to push the envelope to see how much the collectors will pay.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from doughslingers:

I have Hobbit Limited Edition Pins with low numbers that are available for sale now.
The numbers I have that have not been taken are # 127, 133, 136, 138, 152, 153, 164, 211, 216, 233, 241, 242, 243, 360, 474, 497, and 557.
You can reserve you number with a $500.00 deposit through January 31, 2013 and purchase the Hobbit at the price of $7500.00. The deposit gets you in on the payment plan for the Hobbit that will allow you to pay payments for the pin until its release in 2014. After February 15, 2013 the price goes up to $8000.00 so do not miss this great opportunity to pre-order your Hobbit today.
Pay the entire balance and shipping is free.
As information becomes available on the regular Hobbit pin I will keep you updated but I should have ordered more ECLEWOZ than standards. I did not want to go that route this time so I ordered more LE

so we know nothing about the pinball and they want money form us already? Is 1500 limited?

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

so we know nothing about the pinball and they want money form us already? Is 1500 limited?

We know it's the Hobbit.

#49 6 years ago

Derek we know it will have a big ol gobble hole like South Park right lol. This new limited thing is funny even for Stern. Its not limited when all you make is limited. You want to make it limited make 10 of them Special. Thats limited.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

You want to make it limited make 10 of them Special. Thats limited.

They should do this and make some minor cosmetic difference and charge like $10K. It's GUARANTEED to rope in 10 suckers so they can have it. I mean, it's free money for Stern or JJP or whoever does it!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hauppauge, NY
$ 27.50
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 50.00
There are 378 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside