DSC_5499.JPG
White-Water_0002_Upper-Playfield.jpg
303510.jpg
303511.jpg
playfield.jpg
images-1.jpg
smaug.jpg
Untitled-779.png
There are 508 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 11.
#401 9 years ago
Quoted from Alphajerk3000:

There needs to be a bit of molded mountain plastic covering portions of the ramps up top. Kind of like White Water.

White-Water_0002_Upper-Playfield... 38 KB

I mentioned this in the other thread. It just needs some finishing touches like this to really make it look incredible, which for 8-9k it needs to. WoZ looks incredible just walking up to it, The Hobbit looks a bit sparse in comparison.

#402 9 years ago

After looking at those pics there is no way that is complete - you can see wire and it too much metal exposed. JJP would cover that up - WOZ has much more polish around its props and focus areas for them to let it look like this on the hobbit. I think it isn't complete yet.

#403 9 years ago

Also, the mountain looks too smooth. It needs to have a rugged texture with more of a mountain look. I think it is supposed to be the side of the mountain door that they enter from the side, but still it need to be more of a mountain side look. If they do that and add more sculpt around that area (like the witch castle) it would improve the game a lot

#404 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

After looking at those pics there is no way that is complete - you can see wire and it too much metal exposed. JJP would cover that up - WOZ has much more polish around its props and focus areas for them to let it look like this on the hobbit. I think it isn't complete yet.

I was just about to say the same thing. There is no way they are going to put this out with exposed opto wires hanging off the ramps like that. There is more to come.

#405 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I agree as well. The area looks unfinished. If the divertor and far left wireframe are supposed to represent Smaug's tail then a molded tail should be placed along the sides or something.

This is the area I'm referring to for the molded tail piece that should match the look of Smaug. At a minimum I thought we would seen a somewhat interactive toy in the Bad End area as well as a molded tail piece.

tail.jpgtail.jpg

#406 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

If it is not complete then why would they not say that to suppress some of the negativity?

#407 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

If it is not complete then why would they not say that to suppress some of the negativity?

Trying to suppress negativity on the modern internet is a fool's errand.

#408 9 years ago
Quoted from kirkgun:

Trying to suppress negativity on the modern internet is a fool's errand.

I was under the impression that it was happening at the show as well.

#409 9 years ago

one of my former posts

Mirror Universe Smaug ?

tspp-homer-1.jpgtspp-homer-1.jpg

#410 9 years ago

I think it's going to be a great game. I love the theme and with all the individually controlled drop targets, 4 troll pop ups, and Keith's programming, it's going to be crazy and a players game. Smaug reminds me of Rudy or Skully from No Fear, but will be a lot more interactive with the player.

#411 9 years ago
Quoted from fluffybunny:

you also said exactly what I was thinking too. The ramps in the middle need something IMO if they are powder coated that might do it, but they need something.
As for the book, something I'm not sure most people realize is in Lord of the Rings the book that Bilbo is writing is There and Back again, which is mostly the story that was in the Hobbit, so the hobbit in places was to be written from the perspective of Bilbo, so I think its kind of cool that they put that in. As a pinball toy, yea not really that good, but I like it for the theme integration.
I also LOVE the map apron, it is AWESOME, I am a huge fan of the LOTR/hobbit maps and its awesome that it is in this game in such a prominent location.

You can powdercoat wireforms not ramps. Take it from me (You can but you shouldn't.)

#412 9 years ago

Another reason I suspect the smaug area is unfinished is because it looks rough (Smaug looks fine), and the lack of PF images in the brochure. I think they tighten up the PF in the back areas and they are looking just fine

#413 9 years ago

The open area PF is great for shooting, but deck that back part out!

#414 9 years ago

It does look a little baron but many pins that appear that way turn out to be fast and fun, WOZ is loaded with crap and the gameplay isn't all that great for me anyway. I think TH is looking cool, and I hope the gameplay coincides with that. Why can't we get a video going that is longer than 40 seconds? Just watched a TBL vid and same thing, is it copyright stuff or limitations on camera's and you tube? Still highly appreciated.

#416 9 years ago

Mod idea. Someone put screens in the book and make it look like its writing itself while you play.

#417 9 years ago

The head looks cool but does not look to be working very well at 20 seconds.

#418 9 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Mod idea. Someone put screens in the book and make it look like its writing itself while you play.

i think there's a book like that in California Adventure in Disneyland.

#419 9 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

Well, gotta be honest - I, too, am a little disappointed in the Smaug reveal. I expected, check that, hoped for a more omnipotent "toy" on the playfield. Something that really drew your attention visually and kept you engulfed via gameplay interaction.

Did you not see the controllable do errors and targets? The interaction is in the actual pinball game... Not just the plastic toys. This is interactivity that actually matters

#420 9 years ago

Why concentrate on disappointment over overblown expectations? Did anyone expect user controlled ramp diverters? 28 or 30+ modes? Free "upgrade" (for early adopters) to an alternate limited SE version? This game will set the bar 4 or 5 notches over anything ever produced in many ways. I'm stoked.

#421 9 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

The individually controlled drop targets are very nice, but I could swear I've seen this in older games. Am I right? I'm thinking Bally Vector has this feature?

Doesn't Stern's Striker Extreme have this as well?

#422 9 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Did you not see the controllable do errors and targets? The interaction is in the actual pinball game... Not just the plastic toys. This is interactivity that actually matters

Read my whole post - I know I wrote a mini novel, so my apologies for that... But later on in the post I talk about the actual interaction between Smaug and the player and how awesome it will be overall.

#423 9 years ago

I don't know when this happened but the expectations have gotten way too high, TH looks great what are people expecting? TWDLE looks awesome but yet a lot of complaints due to price. I remember when Tron came out and it was not received well at all but look at it now, same with IM, they had to make more. If this is all about money then get out of the hobby, sorry don't want to sound defensive but no one has even really played it yet. TBL looks great but nothing revolutionary and the price is high yet very few negative comments, I have some but not buying it so why post anything, anyway I like the layout and as always gameplay and theme are way more important than toys and bling.

#424 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I don't know when this happened but the expectations have gotten way too high, TH looks great what are people expecting? TWDLE looks awesome but yet a lot of complaints due to price. I remember when Tron came out and it was not received well at all but look at it now, same with IM, they had to make more. If this is all about money then get out of the hobby, sorry don't want to sound defensive but no one has even really played it yet. TBL looks great but nothing revolutionary and the price is high yet very few negative comments, I have some but not buying it so why post anything, anyway I like the layout and as always gameplay and theme are way more important than toys and bling.

As prices rise astronomically expectations follow.

#425 9 years ago

I think Jack and his team did a great job on this. I agree that many of the "what if" posts evolved into firm but unrealistic expectations. I think it is great that Jack is allowing those of us who preordered to jump to the Smaug Edition with no additional charge and still keep our original place in line! Look at TH for what the game is and appreciate the fun. It is pinball and it is supposed to be fun. Enjoy it instead of arguing over it.

#426 9 years ago

I think the game is beautiful....but I just don't think its for me. Nothing in the marketplace right now turns me on except TBL....but not for that price. I think its time to just sit back and enjoy my small collection that I have worked so hard to build.

#427 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

That's the dumbest thing that I've ever heard of.

Without question.

Ah but certainly- Wargs, Spiders, Goblins and Orcs... THEY have pinballs flying at them in the movie,,,

Given that licensing people were denying certain interactivity features, I assume this resulted in the disappearance of the wireform that originally went around the front of Smaug?

#428 9 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

I think the game is beautiful....but I just don't think its for me. Nothing in the marketplace right now turns me on except TBL....but not for that price. I think its time to just sit back and enjoy my small collection that I have worked so hard to build.

I hear ya. I'm beginning to feel the same way. I'm going to stick with my Hobbit preorder for a while longer and see if anything new is announced for the game (the rumored LCD toy, better apron, more completed Smaug area, etc) before I cancel it.

#429 9 years ago
Quoted from jhagen:

Without question.
Ah but certainly- Wargs, Spiders, Goblins and Orcs... THEY have pinballs flying at them in the movie,,,
Given that licensing people were denying certain interactivity features, I assume this resulted in the disappearance of the wireform that originally went around the front of Smaug?

Personally I'm hoping that the wireform around Smaug was missing because the game isn't complete yet. A lot of the area around Smaug looks incomplete and I can't see how JJP would just let the ball drop off an open divertor like that into the subway. I'm thinking the wireform we saw in the CAD drawing that goes around Smaug is intended to go from the divertor, wrap around Smaug and then go to the subway.

#430 9 years ago

guys, it can't be finished yet. Watching the video's there hasn't been any on the player controlled elements that they talked about. The diverter the subway etc. The apron isn't finished either as the large button on the lock down bar and the element that it controls are all absent. I would also like to think that the book is just a place holder for now....

#431 9 years ago

I would be great if JJP issued an official statement on whether the pin is "finished" and whether things like the hideous book is just a place marker.

#432 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I would be great if JJP issued an official statement on whether the pin is "finished" and whether things like the hideous book is just a place marker.

I hope they do, or this may be the final coffin nail that pushes me into dropping out. I have too many life events right now pushing me in that direction as it is.

#433 9 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Hex:

guys, it can't be finished yet. Watching the video's there hasn't been any on the player controlled elements that they talked about. The diverter the subway etc. The apron isn't finished either as the large button on the lock down bar and the element that it controls are all absent. I would also like to think that the book is just a place holder for now....

How on earth are they going to start shipping in less than two months?

#434 9 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

As prices rise astronomically expectations follow.

I agree but I would need to see what production costs and how much is actual profit before I would become upset with the current prices. It is after all a business and I think a lot of us maybe don't realize how much it costs to manufacture and make a profit, look at The Predator I'm buying one and it looks good but you can definitely see the difference between that at $5000 and The Hobbit LE or TWDLE at $8000.

#435 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

There might be a good reason why they can't. When everyone was complaining about the cabinet art and demanded the fictional Aurich-Smaug edition, Jack was present in the thread and yet he did not even mention this very real Smaug edition we see now, and this would have calmed the nay-sayers if he did. Maybe he felt that he would need permission from the licensor before saying anything to us, he can't assure anyone of anything because of the licensor's fickle nature.

#436 9 years ago

The cabinet decals are so fukn stunning!!! Whatever JJP is doing nothing looks as good as these do.

#437 9 years ago

Does anyone have additional information or pics about the new upgraded ($400.00) side art / decals? I saw the far off shot, but I am hoping for more details? Any thoughts from those at Expo?

Thanks

#438 9 years ago

Played it at the show and I have no interest of ever buying one. "Dud of a game" is what everyone was saying openly.

#439 9 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

2. Is it fun to play.

NO!

#440 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

How on earth are they going to start shipping in less than two months?

I thought Jack said production would start around the time the movie is released. START production... the first 25-50 I would say will take the longest. Training, figuring out the best flow in production, ironing out issues etc....

#441 9 years ago

I hope that Jack can comment on all of these concerns that myself and others have. Surprises are good but I think a lot of people, including myself, took Thursday's reveal as the production game as nothing was said otherwise. Surprises are good but its now affecting sales as I know of several people who are already planning on asking for a refund on their preorders and I myself have been considering it.

At this point with the price increase and the production date only two months away I think it would be great if we as customers could know everything that will be in the final version of the game.

I feel bad for the distributors that will be losing out on sales of this game because of something like this that can be prevented with a statement. My distributor is great and I want to buy a game through him but at the end of the day I have to look at what I'm getting in a $7500 game.

#442 9 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

Played it at the show and I have no interest of ever buying one. "Dud of a game" is what everyone was saying openly.

<sarcasm>Oh yeah, You can see the nonstop flow, programming possibilities with all the individual drop controls and user controlled ramp diverters will be a real snoozer </sarcasm>

#443 9 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

<sarcasm>Oh yeah, You can see the nonstop flow, programming possibilities with all the individual drop controls and user controlled ramp diverters will be a real snoozer </sarcasm>
» YouTube video

Sorry, but all I see is pounding the hell out of those center ramps, with other things coming and going so quickly most will never get a shot at them. The sound sounds wonderful, but the clickety clack of the drops is a worry. Thinking of bailing on my order unless major surprises are forthcoming (which I doubt at this point). But, to each his/her own...

#444 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

The cabinet decals are so fukn stunning!

#445 9 years ago

The software is obviously not done. Further than WoZ was at this point of projected release but I believe the finished product will be nothing short of astounding. I am also hearing there are more surprises to come. Bail, don't bail, No skin off my nose but this will be a keeper, no doubt.

#446 9 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

Seriously, can you elaborate. I recently put down a deposit and am interested in constructive feedback from Expo. I'm not going to change my mind before seeing how things develop, but while there's a diversity of opinions on any game, on average, Pinsiders usually get it right.

#447 9 years ago

We need to see more video gameplay like the one above. I think it has great potential. That said, I've gone back to being on the fence until I can judge it further, and at least I'll have the chance to!

I'm paying $7500 for TWD LE, same price as this one, basically playability sight unseen, I don't care about the pro.

And all the people that are slobbering all over TBL, which also has great potential, are doing so because why?

$8500 for a cool bowling alley mech that may or may not be fun to play, an upper play field that is WPT with a car, yes very cool, I love it, but I paid $2600 for WPT.

So in summary, TWD sucks, TH sucks, Jpop sucks and the only thing that doesn't is the one with no gameplay video and cost $8500. Good luck with that one, hope it works out because I'm sure it will be awesome and worth every penny of $8500.

Pretty amazing what seems to be going on and people's expectations that may be impossible to meet on any pin at those prices. Just saying.

#448 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Tron sold for half what they are asking.

#449 9 years ago

Lots of hype before expo, from various manufacturers. Now, lots of different views, and questions.

#450 9 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Seriously, can you elaborate. I recently put down a deposit and am interested in constructive feedback from Expo. I'm not going to change my mind before seeing how things develop, but while there's a diversity of opinions on any game, on average, Pinsiders usually get it right.

Don't bother listening to his opinion. He's always been critical of JJP. Rusty balls, indeed...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
There are 508 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-expo-qa/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.