(Topic ID: 106505)

Hobbit Expo Gamplay Videos (Post Here Please)

By Goronic

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 168 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by multibrawlr
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 11 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HobbitScore.jpg
Expo 645.JPG
Expo 642.JPG
IMG_0656.jpg
IMG_0671.jpg
IMG_0655.jpg
IMG_0654.jpg
IMG_0653.jpg
IMG_0675.jpg
image-889.jpg
20141017_164018.jpg

There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 5 years ago

Lotr,
Agree though that final can change everything so we will have to see what changes .

#152 5 years ago

I personally really like the look of the gameplay, prefer open playfields. If JJP fixes up the Smaug and adds more character to the back of the game, maybe some figures and other filler to bring TH to life as it should be then I will be very happy.

#153 5 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

I played it and saw it I person. As did many here here that went to expo. How can you keep making comments on a game you have not seen??

It's fair to say that you can't really judge a game without playing it, but it's also not good to make final judgement on a game based on an early version at a show. There may be design aspects that can't be changed and don't fit with someone's taste in pinball, but that's different than broadly saying the game will definitely suck.

#154 5 years ago

See three posts above...

#155 5 years ago

AFM has a open play field and its in the top 10 always.

#156 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

AFM has a open play field and its in the top 10 always.

It's also a standard. You build wide bodies so you can put more stuff into them.

#157 5 years ago

I don't like play fields that have so much stuff on them. Sure I have a TZ which is a wide body and loaded but I play AFM twice as much. Just my thoughts.

#158 5 years ago

Hobbit is wide open, but it also has FOUR pop up beasts, so it really has the best of both worlds.

#159 5 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

Hobbit is wide open, but it also has FOUR pop up beasts, so it really has the best of both worlds.

Totally forgot about that. Fantastic. A little bit of AFM, MM and FT mixed.

#160 5 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

It's fair to say that you can't really judge a game without playing it, but it's also not good to make final judgement on a game based on an early version at a show.

So a table that will be released in a few weeks is now known as an "early version"? What will they do? Change the layout? Because those who played the game judged it mostly for its layout.

JJP has by mid november for the final reveal at IAAPA, so it's very late in the game. Those at expo who played the table have every reason to be jumping to conclusions.

(although JJP are presently working their butts off because of all the complainers, so be thankful for them)

#161 5 years ago
Quoted from HunchbackHodler:

So a table that will be released in a few weeks is now known as an "early version"? What will they do? Change the layout? Because those who played the game judged it mostly for its layout.
JJP has by mid november for the final reveal at IAAPA, so it's very late in the game. Those at expo who played the table have every reason to be jumping to conclusions.
(although JJP are presently working their butts off because of all the complainers, so be thankful for them)

I agree that there is plenty of reason to be skeptical about the game. But with the right changes to areas that have nothing to do with the layout and great rules it could still turn out to be a really good game. Given the FT ramps and emphasis on drops it would take a miracle for it to end up being broadly praised, but TH could be similar to WOZ where there are plenty of fans and detractors.

#162 5 years ago
Quoted from HunchbackHodler:

Enquiring minds will want to know about changes. I'll post some vids and pics from Iappa in a few weeks.
I watched lots of people play the game at expo,( me the bald guy in some of the vids) and lots had mixed feelings! Some comments were there is nothing on the lower playfield! Really 4 popups is nothing! Dancing drop targets! As well remember there is NOTHING from The 3RD Movie Yet!!!!!
I don't know if there is any pics out there of the under side of the playfield from the fireside chat on Thursday, but if there is, someone post it! If you haven't seen underneath you will see why she's gonna be heavier than Woz.
Ouch my back hurts already thinking about delivering these into houses next year.
If you want to see the changes check back here, or see You at IAPPA.

I think your going to like the changes!
By the way I have a few Hobbits available! LOL

Pincades
Chicago land JJP DIst.
Jamaster 10
JT

#163 5 years ago
Quoted from Jamaster10:

... If you haven't seen underneath you will see why she's gonna be heavier than Woz...

Yep, fifty pounds heavier than WOZ I'm told!!! Crazy!!

There's no room to put anything else on the bottom side of that playfield!

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#164 5 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

There's no room to put anything else on the bottom side of that playfield!

And yet we were told at Expo that the mechs on the playfield were built with serviceability in mind. Tons of stuff on there, but supposed to be easy to for example remove a target bank.

#165 5 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

And yet we were told at Expo that the mechs on the playfield were built with serviceability in mind. Tons of stuff on there, but supposed to be easy to for example remove a target bank.

This is true but does it come with a scissor jack to lift the playfield?

#166 5 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

This is true but does it come with a scissor jack to lift the playfield?

Heh, no. But at Expo one of the JJP engineers showed off the redesigned playfield lift and lock mechanism. I was impressed!

#167 5 years ago

I'm glad I just chipped in on a heavy duty Escalera.

2 years later
#168 2 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Looks like fun to me...
I wish the kid had taken more shots at the drop targets. He pounded safe shots like he was in a tournament.
-mof

Sorry to revive the thread, but I wanna put it out there that I actually **was** playing that Hobbit in between qualifying for "A" divison. Since it was one ball, one of my first times playing and most of the stuff wasn't even coded yet, I just focused on Smaug Multiball and tried my best when it ended. Didn't know I'd be filmed and representing the game in its earliest incarnation.

The YouTube comments are amusing. Bored plenty! Honestly, what do you expect from a prototype with obviously unfinished software and a playfield design that ended up getting changed later...which was being played by someone who just got done qualifying for a hard-as-hell competition (so by instinct, I make safe shots) AND for one of the first times in his life? Give it some time and play the game yourselves, then.

And Alex Compton (one of guys who commented on the video)...I was wiping my nose often because I happened to not feel that well at Expo. Allergies. It happens. Luckily, it didn't keep me from making it all the way up to 5th/6th place in "A" division that year.

I played the absolute best I could with the limited knowledge I had of the game (and with the early code). And since then, I've evolved as a professional pinball player. Interesting to see how much the game's changed since then: more polished code, different rules and features and playfield design changes. Now it's shaped up into a fun, deep game overall which lots of people (including myself) personally enjoy playing.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside