(Topic ID: 106505)

Hobbit Expo Gamplay Videos (Post Here Please)

By Goronic

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

HobbitScore.jpg
Expo 645.JPG
Expo 642.JPG
IMG_0656.jpg
IMG_0671.jpg
IMG_0655.jpg
IMG_0654.jpg
IMG_0653.jpg
IMG_0675.jpg
image-889.jpg
20141017_164018.jpg
There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Must be something wrong with me because I really like the look of the hobbit.

That's OK. It doesn't make you a bad guy.

#102 9 years ago
Quoted from OldPinster:

but does it not look like an old EM to you?

There are plenty of pinball enthusiasts that would ask why that should be considered a bad thing. Making a game that appeals to both the EM crowd as well as more modern pin players is a good thing, IMO.

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from neurokinetik:

There are plenty of pinball enthusiasts that would ask why that should be considered a bad thing. Making a game that appeals to both the EM crowd as well as more modern pin players is a good thing, IMO.

I love both modern DMD games, and old school EM games. I have a great time playing my Metallica, and I have a great time playing my Abra Ca Dabra. The only games I touched in the free play hall at Expo were EMs. But I'm super excited about TBL.

So put me down as a "appeals to both" guy.

But I don't really want my chocolate in my peanut butter in this case. I enjoy them both for different reasons and different moods.

#104 9 years ago

In theory that sounds nice. Unfortunately, Hobbit (so far) does not seem to be appealing to the modern pin players though! That's a big problem.

#105 9 years ago

I don't get all the complaints that there is nothing to do. Not including targets, there are seven main shots: left orbit, left VUK, left ramp, captive ball, right ramp, right VUK, right orbit. Add to that 14 drops, three stand ups and four pop up bash toys. Also, it's very cool that you can pick which flipper you want a ramp shot to return to, as it appears both ramps are easily backhanded, even on the fly.

As a comparison, ACDC (a game highly regarded) has five main shots: left orbit, left ramp, bell, right ramp and right orbit. Plus it has 12 targets. It has several fewer shots than TH. What's the issue?

The video and sound look great and we all know the code will rock.

I agree on Smaug being not so cool - the dragon figure itself looks good, but the coins are out of proportion and therefore makes the dragon look small. The mountain sucks and reminds me of one of those spinning rides at the county fair. And that book...there is no excuse for that book. It has to be a placeholder for an LCD. It just has to....

#106 9 years ago

From what I have heard the book will be replaced with a LCD.

#107 9 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

How different are the enhanced decals from the standards? From the pics, the major difference seems to be that they are glossy. Anything else?

The empty cab is the Smaug Edition. The glossy look is from a mylar-like product that JJP will be selling "separate" for both Hobbit and WoZ. I don't remember seeing anyone else post that the pitch was "decreased" to extend the game play since it was set to one ball per game. I have a short vid that I am having problems posting of Smaug turning around at the end of the game and saying: "I think our little game ends here".

#108 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Must be something wrong with me because I really like the look of the hobbit.

Nope, I'm in like sin. This thing is going to rock when done.

People claiming no flow? Two return ramps with an orbit, plus shit loads of drop targets, targets behind that, with pop up PF shots? There are few games made that have as many shots as this machine. That, with Keith's known rules will turn this into an epic machine.

I have no worries.

One thing I don't see anyone touching on, and I would like Keith to answer if possible - where is the upper PF? I thought it was a contractual necessity of yours to have one in every game you worked on?

I'm not saying it's missing one, but this would be the first.

#109 9 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

From what I have heard the book will be replaced with a LCD.

Seems to make sense, but to my knowledge, NOTHING OFFICIAL REGARDING LCDs OR BOOK REPLACEMENT.

#110 9 years ago

Anyone know if the new PF's are screened or digital transfers? I don't think they screen anymore. Or am I wrong?

#111 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Hobbit video courtesy of Lorenzo.
» YouTube video

Wow, nice!

#112 9 years ago

This one is pretty good and long not sure who posted it

#113 9 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

This one is pretty good and long not sure who posted it
» YouTube video

Looks like fun to me...
I wish the kid had taken more shots at the drop targets. He pounded safe shots like he was in a tournament.
-mof

#114 9 years ago

Them ramps need to be brass, 24k gold lol, or something. Granted I love the brushed stainless look. It still needs something. But I do love how the game as EM chimes... J/k Looks like a fun rig.

#115 9 years ago

mummite, good video.. looks like joshua henderson was playing if i had to guess.

#116 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Looks like fun to me...
I wish the kid had taken more shots at the drop targets. He pounded safe shots like he was in a tournament.
-mof

You think it looks better then MM?

#117 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

mummite, good video.. looks like joshua henderson was playing if i had to guess.

Yes that is Joshua Henderson playing.

#118 9 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

Seems to make sense, but to my knowledge, NOTHING OFFICIAL REGARDING LCDs OR BOOK REPLACEMENT.

Correct. Nothing official.

#119 9 years ago

Exclusive gameplay:

#120 9 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

Exclusive gameplay:

10K by tomorrow.

#121 9 years ago

Shouldn't they wait until the next LEGO movie is out before showing this!?

#122 9 years ago

Is there some kind of loud "Ping" sound every time the ball hits the slingshots ?

#123 9 years ago
Quoted from jms121:

Is there some kind of loud "Ping" sound every time the ball hits the slingshots ?

Yep, the left one. Has to go...like the book!

#124 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Looks like fun to me...
-mof

The game was set to one ball. No ball save. You drain and your session is over. So I can understand wanting to play conservatively. My play time was brief.

#125 9 years ago
Quoted from jms121:

It's even more annoying in person. Minor issue, super easy to change, but hopefully they get sick of it themselves soon and take care of it.

I wish I'd taken a close up shot of the axes, so I could show you how they really look in person.

#126 9 years ago

Screen shot of my 206K score on 1-Ball Hobbit.

HobbitScore.jpgHobbitScore.jpg

#127 9 years ago
Quoted from michiganpinball:

Here is the other one.
Hobbit 2 of 2: » YouTube video

I was not really into this game based on the stills. The video gives me hope!

#128 9 years ago

I was wondering something and for what I have seen will the diverter only be responsible for the incline loop?

#129 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

I was wondering something and for what I have seen will the diverter only be responsible for the incline loop?

No clue and I also want to know how the ball gets to the left wireform back to the kick back?

New videos anyone?

#130 9 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

New videos anyone?

There you go. Just found it on youtube.

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from seeker939:

There you go. Just found it on youtube.
» YouTube video

That's more of looking at guys asses then seeing anything hobbit related lol

#132 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

That's more of looking at guys asses then seeing anything hobbit related lol

And what have YOU contributed today, funny guy?

#133 9 years ago

It sure is nice to see a game with all metal ramps and habitrails every once in a while..

#134 9 years ago
Quoted from seeker939:

There you go. Just found it on youtube.» YouTube video

Boy the WOZ does look good sitting there.

#135 9 years ago

This game looks incredibly lame. What does that dragon do? Does he just sit there and open his mouth? That's the big "toy"? Is it interactive? I have to play this one....but it looks like a huge bummer. I had high hopes for this game...

#136 9 years ago

Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

In theory that sounds nice. Unfortunately, Hobbit (so far) does not seem to be appealing to the modern pin players though! That's a big problem.

I think pinball got too complicated for the casual player. On location this minimalist appearance may help gain players. Flippers and targets to knock down. Simple. I agree with Jack that pinball can have a place in the outside world. If that is true the home buyer may not always get what he wants at the right price.

#137 9 years ago

The more video I see, the more I don't want it!

#138 9 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

This is why we all came back from Expo saying what we did.
By the way this also what the folks around the game looked like after the first hour. Everyone drifted off to see all the other new stuff.

After now owning RIBION I am looking forward to Pats new game.

#139 9 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

For me it is the opposite effect. The more videos I see, I see the big potential this game has. Put in a few more bling in the back, so it will look good and try to imagine what Keith will do with the droptargets, the diverters, pop ups......

And I still think now after what we heard from JJP, this game will be a hit.

#140 9 years ago

Yes Jack always said it would be a very different game to WOZ. This machine should really let us know what the market wants. Home buyers I don't know but I'm confident with TH on location. I think it will beat WOZ and that would be very promising.

#141 9 years ago

Here is another NEW video I have not seen in this thread. In all the videos the right ramp always seems to reject the ball where as the left ramp seems to have better flow. Maybe its just a leveling thing, anyone else notice this?

#142 9 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

to reject the ball where as the left ramp seems to have better flow

My 2c and I did not like the layout or gameplay so that is right out there. All these early games at shows that are beaten up for ramp shots, weak flippers or leveling are being misjudged.
At your home you would tweak a 100% finshed product to perfection. These are protypes to show and the games are shoved in a big room.
We need to let the tiny crap that will be adjusted go and focus on design and shot layout etc.

#143 9 years ago

I'm fine with the rotating, talking Smaug - but really hope they upgrade the sculpture. It's just not up to snuff when you see it sitting there right below the impressive footage of Smaug on the video screen. The style of Smaug is consistent with the other playfield models and I know it would be hard to change at this point, but hope they can do something to improve the detail so that it ties in better with the overall art direction.

#144 9 years ago

Am writing because there have been so many negative posts about aspects of TH lately, that it tends to color and overshadow what you see.

So to anybody who has already cancelled or is thinking about cancelling their Hobbit order solely because they didn’t like some of the artistic elements from Expo - you sure that’s what you want to do? Have you watched any of the video links above? Even with some basic programming in place, this game looks very fun and it is easy to see potential greatness that the rules will make. Rewatch these two recent ones if you get the chance. Pay attention to lcd, or to scoring, or to shooting, or to the popups, or to music et al. Both guys playing look to be immersed. imho - this game is very good at this stage and is only getting better every day.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ynPVwstcw5s?autoplay=1&rel=0

http://www.youtube.com/embed/lqntE3K58D0?autoplay=1&rel=0

#145 9 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Anybody who has already cancelled or is thinking about cancelling their Hobbit order solely because they didn’t like some of the artistic elements from Expo - you sure that’s what you want to do? Have you watched any of the video’s above? Even with some basic programming in place, this game looks very fun and it is easy to see potential greatness that the rules will make. Rewatch these two recent ones if you get the chance. Pay attention to lcd, or to scoring, or to shooting, or to music et al. This game is very good at this stage and getting better every day.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/ynPVwstcw5s?autoplay=1&rel=0
http://www.youtube.com/embed/lqntE3K58D0?autoplay=1&rel=0

all that stuff is great for the person watching the player but the play itself sucks do far.

#147 9 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

this game is very good at this stage and is only getting better every day.

Boshie!! Just everyone walked away at expo bored and shocked at this brickfest. Have you even played it or is this all boshie!!

#148 9 years ago

Haven't played one and basing comments entirely from watching videos. Tried to clearly state this in original post. If this game doesn't impress you (not you specifically) then I don't know what will. There is a ton of stuff going on, and even if you liked pins x and y better, it would still be better than your pin z. If you were to say this pin looks bad (what could be worse than NGG artwork) or that there is no redeeming value to playing one, then there is no convincing you (not you specifically).

Looking forward to seeing some adjustments based on feedback gathered at Expo and further software development. If you compare this pin to the others being produced, you may notice the talent depicted so far by this team and the depth of the game being developed. I appreciate the efforts so far and will probably be pleased with the finished product. If they do a better job, it will be a welcome addition. If they hit it out of the park, it will become a keeper.

At some point you have to ask what you expect out of a pinball machine. It is either a means to earn quarters or a toy for your home, depending on your perspective. It won't solve all your problems nor substitute as a partner. Seems to be hovering at a little less than average at this point. Your individual level of enthusiasm and tolerance for risk colors how much potential you believe is still locked inside.

#149 9 years ago

I played it and saw it I person. As did many here here that went to expo. How can you keep making comments on a game you have not seen??

#150 9 years ago

I opened a WOZ this weekend. Granted, I upgraded the code to 4.1 before I played. But the play and flow of the game had no similarity whatsoever with any of the many videos I had watched prior. The live game was so much better.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hardware
Pinball Haven

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.50
There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-expo-gamplay-videos-post-here-please/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.