New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 273029)

Hobbit - Drop targets not working intermittently

By Dreadreaper

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Dreadreaper
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 months ago

My D(W)arf and E(L)f drop targets will intermittently get stuck down with the switch stuck on. When the machine calls for the coil, they just wiggle slightly (or don't move at all) and I do not hear the coil fire. Usually they work during test mode, and when I start a game they eventually stop working part way through. Sometimes they will resolve themselves during play as well. Typically during a full-reset of the drop target bank.

Wondering if any of the below will fix the issue:
1) Adjusting Nylon screws (drop targets seem to be at the same height as all others though)
2) Replacing coil sleeves (they are looking a bit dirty and don't actuate very smoothly, but don't think they would cause this)
3) Bend drop target/switch slightly somewhere?

Any tips from people who have experienced similar issues would be appreciated - thanks!

Bonus issue: My invisiglass seems to have been cut incorrectly, because the lockbar will not close properly due to one side of the glass being much longer than the other. Tried rotating in all directions, doesn't fix the issue. Couldn't find a single other person who has this issue...

EDIT: Resolution: Removed drop target assembly, cleaned all coil sleeves, screwed in nylon screw in bottom of problem targets slightly, bent drop target back slightly.

After a few games it seems to be working. Thanks everyone who suggested fixes.

#2 3 months ago
Quoted from Dreadreaper:

Tried rotating in all directions, doesn't fix the issue.

Glass square ? Cabinet square - not twisted a bit ?

Quoted from Dreadreaper:

Wondering if any of the below will fix the issue:

4) Remove from game and clean the assembly and check for worn or broken parts.

LTG : )

#3 3 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Glass square ? Cabinet square - not twisted a bit ?

4) Remove from game and clean the assembly and check for worn or broken parts.

Thanks I will try that. When you say clean the assembly, does that include coil sleeves? Do I just use alcohol + qtip? Thanks I was hoping people had seen this before and had more specific causes haha...

#4 3 months ago
Quoted from Dreadreaper:

When you say clean the assembly, does that include

Everything. Tear it apart.

#5 3 months ago

My drops did this once. Exact same thing. Found the switches/leafs behind the stuck ones and adjusted some and been working a year later.

#6 3 months ago
Quoted from konghusker:

My drops did this once. Exact same thing. Found the switches/leafs behind the stuck ones and adjusted some and been working a year later.

Thanks I'll try bending the leafs/switches first and if that doesn't help disassemble and clean it out!

#7 3 months ago

Just another note, if your game is an early build you may not have the stronger drop target springs that came on later builds. JJP released a fix kit a few years back that includes the stronger springs.

#8 3 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Just another note, if your game is an early build you may not have the stronger drop target springs that came on later builds. JJP released a fix kit a few years back that includes the stronger springs.

Thanks Panzer - mine is a black arrow SE manufactured in Dec 2016 I believe. My understanding is these have all the factory fixes, but I will double check.

#9 3 months ago

There are also connectors that go to those drop banks for switches wouldn't hurt to check those too...

#10 3 months ago

Resolution: Removed drop target assembly, cleaned all coil sleeves, screwed in nylon screw in bottom of problem targets slightly, bent drop target back slightly.

After a few games it seems to be working. Thanks everyone who suggested fixes.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside