4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Aurich
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago

Heres the thing, who the hell cares.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Heres the thing, who the hell cares.

It looks like the OP does. Why does he care that you care not?

Sorry. It's in the beer.

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from Doostur:

It won't outsell Lord of the Rings because the Hobbit is a snooze fest. I hope nothing but the best for the hobbit and jersey jack but the excuse of "coding" can only take you so far. Don't get me wrong the game is gorgeous. But the game play of LOTR, and for the price of under 5k for a decent one will be hard to beat.
And no I'm not a Jersey Jack hater. I own the WOZ and love it. I also own LOTR. Just being honest...

LOL! Coding made that early stage clunky whitewood called LOTR a top 10 game. Without the code it's a turd. It shoots bad...clunky. That said, there is ZERO chance Hobbit comes close to outselling LOTR. It's more than twice the price!

#54 4 years ago

Lotr clunky? As in challenging yet nicely flowing?

Give me clunky all the time then instead of a collection of easy shots and not doing anything toys.

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

It looks like the OP does. Why does he care that you care not?
Sorry. It's in the beer.

Actually, I really don't.... I was having such a good time enjoying the KISS pin threads that I thought it would be fun to start a similar discussion.... Fortunately (or not), the "hate" posts here are nowhere near compared to other pinball/music discussion threads....

#56 4 years ago

Yes, we would.

Quoted from Aurich:

Serious question: Would people actually want that?
Because I'll be honest, as much as I like deeper, more engaging games, something that requires 2 hours to play isn't actually appealing to me. It's cool that some folks spend a couple years trying to get to Valinor and feel like they climbed Mt Everest finally. But gnarlier than that? I'd rather have a game that was a little more accessible personally.
Not "beat every day" easy or anything, just not so complicated and deep that you end up not wanting to play it all that much because it's such a grind to get anywhere.

#57 4 years ago

The Hobbit will outsell lotr because by the time it gets built all the lotr games will be 30 plus years old

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

The Hobbit will outsell lotr because by the time it gets built all the lotr games will be 30 plus years old

LOL!!!!

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

LOL! Coding made that early stage clunky whitewood called LOTR a top 10 game. Without the code it's a turd. It shoots bad...clunky. That said, there is ZERO chance Hobbit comes close to outselling LOTR. It's more than twice the price!

It is only clunky when you keep bricking shots. When you are hitting things it is quite fast. Makes for a frustrating time when you aren't in the zone though.

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

It is only clunky when you keep bricking shots. When you are hitting things it is quite fast. Makes for a frustrating time when you aren't in the zone though.

You are being kind. What you're trying to say is that it's only clunky when you suck.

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

You are being kind. What you're trying to say is that it's only clunky when you suck.

Kind? Kind is saying TOM or TOTAN is a top ten game when the code sucks. Having owned LOTR and Sopranos (which might as well be LOTR rethemed) the game feels incredibly fast when you are dialed in.

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Because I'll be honest, as much as I like deeper, more engaging games, something that requires 2 hours to play isn't actually appealing to me. It's cool that some folks spend a couple years trying to get to Valinor and feel like they climbed Mt Everest finally. But gnarlier than that? I'd rather have a game that was a little more accessible personally.
Not "beat every day" easy or anything, just not so complicated and deep that you end up not wanting to play it all that much because it's such a grind to get anywhere.

I hear ya. When I'm dropping almost $8k on a NIB pin I want its rules to be extremely deep so that the game always has something to unlock / reach for. I have a hard time dropping that type of cash on games that lack depth or interesting rules. I agree that at some point depth can get feel like a grind but that is only due to a lack of interesting modes. Thankfully Keith is a Jedi Master of pinball programming and knows how to use all shots, targets, toys and switches on a playfield to create unique and interesting modes rather then a ton of "hit ramp 10 times", "hit orbit 10 times" types of modes. Keith's rules tell a story and I think the Hobbit will be his best story based ruleset yet.

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Kind? Kind is saying TOM or TOTAN is a top ten game when the code sucks. Having owned LOTR and Sopranos (which might as well be LOTR rethemed) the game feels incredibly fast when you are dialed in.

Man, I own a TotAN and totally dig it.... Please enlighten me.... why do you think its code sucks?

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

When I'm dropping $5k-$8k on a NIB pin I want its rules to be extremely deep. I have a hard time dropping that type of cash on games that lack depth or interesting rules. I agree that at some point depth can get feel like a grind but that is only due to a lack of interesting modes. Thankfully Keith is the Jedi Master of pinball programming and knows how to use all shots, targets, toys and switches on a playfield to create unique and interesting modes rather then a ton of "hit ramp 10 times", "hit orbit 10 times" types of modes. Keith's rules tell a story and I think the Hobbit will be his best story based ruleset yet.

You should try Whoa Nellie!!!

#65 4 years ago

They would have to do three runs over six years.

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Interesting. Sopranos is a grail pin for me, but my wife and I also want a LOTR pretty bad. I wonder if they would not be so great together in a collection?

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

I was actually agreeing with you, but pointing out that people who keep bricking shots probably just suck.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Man, I own a TotAN and totally dig it.... Please enlighten me.... why do you think its code sucks?

I certainly wouldn't use the word sucks and while the code on the 90's DMD's is quite fun it is a little easy. I just found that my TOM and TOTAN became boring quite fast, after you complete the wizard mode a few times I just couldn't get excited anymore. Its been a few years since I owned them and I think I'm ready to play them again but not to own, I've embraced the 80's pins big time, quicker games and while shallow never lose their appeal. Plus the great 80's soundtracks and SFX help. JMO

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

It is only clunky when you keep bricking shots.

Any pin in the history of mankind is "clunky when you keep bricking shots". That's not the definition of clunky.

Go play a nice smooth shooting pin like Stern Star Trek, or JM, then tell me that LOTR isn't clunky in comparison. It is. But it's not that big of a deal at all, it's a *great* pin (one of the best ever in my opinion), far better than the two pins that I just compared it to, for a variety of reasons.

But it's still clunky.

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I certainly do not. I had a LOTR and it pretty quickly became a game I did not play much. It takes forever to get anywhere in that game. Lots of really cool things that I liked about it but just not a game I enjoyed playing. I own a WOZ and it has a very similar feel. I like having at least one deep game though so WOZ fits the bill. I doubt I will ever own 2 games that Keith programs at the same time though unless I have 20 plus machines. They just don't have that play it one more time appeal to me. They are, have a good game and I don't want to play you again for a few weeks type of machines.

It is good to have a nice mix though and if you have several games having one that Keith coded gives you some good diversity. It's fun to play a brutal game like CFTBL then be able to play SS which anyone can beat the wizard mode, then play a game like WOZ that no one will ever see the wizard mode. I just don't want a bunch of games like WOZ because they get played the least.

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Interesting. Sopranos is a grail pin for me, but my wife and I also want a LOTR pretty bad. I wonder if they would not be so great together in a collection?

Never have seen the show, but I liked the pin. If it is your grail pin, buy it and skip on the LOTR. You will save a chunk of change over the LOTR. It doesn't have the epic feel, but it is a fun game all the same. There used to be a gif transitioning between LOTR and Sopranos to illustrate how close the layouts are.

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Never have seen the show, but I liked the pin. If it is your grail pin, buy it and skip on the LOTR. You will save a chunk of change over the LOTR. It doesn't have the epic feel, but it is a fun game all the same. There used to be a gif transitioning between LOTR and Sopranos to illustrate how close the layouts are.

pretty cool. Well the wife and I played hundreds of games on Sopranos when we first started dating and have recently fell in love with LOTR due to all the members of my pinball league having them. Makes sense as to why we like them both so much seeing as they are so similar in layout.

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I doubt I will ever own 2 games that Keith programs at the same time though unless I have 20 plus machines. They just don't have that play it one more time appeal to me. They are, have a good game and I don't want to play you again for a few weeks type of machines.

Yeah, that's exactly it. I think he's a brilliant programmer, I'm in no way disparaging him. But he just doesn't really program the kind of game I actually enjoy. It's more like I appreciate them more than I like them.

And it's that "one more time" feeling that's missing. I know a lot of people who have TSPP or LOTR, and love them, but very rarely actually *play* them. Just really easy to keep walking past them in a collection. "Ugh, too much work to get anywhere."

Who knows what Hobbit will look like? Keith made some comment once about showing people how a mode based game should play I think. And obviously this is just my personal opinion. But to attract me I'd need something that wasn't so insanely complicated and layered that I felt like a) I'd just never even see half of it, and b) even if I had the skills, getting there didn't feel like more time and work than I wanted to spend.

Variety is super key, it's good that we have a programmer like Keith pushing those envelopes. But if he's the only one running the code for JJP it's going to mean Jack is kind of putting out only one style of game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside