Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Aurich
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Jumpin' on a bandwagon of threads, mostly regarding a future KISS pin by Stern, occurred to me that maybe that will be a good discussion.... Can the new JPP Pinball success (The Hobbit), outshine Stern's Lord of the Rings?

#2 8 years ago

Only if they ever get them built. I am looking forward to playing it that is for sure.

#3 8 years ago

Doubtful. No one knows how many LOTR's were made but I would guess it will be many more than Hobbitses.

#4 8 years ago

There is no way in hell an 8k game is going to outsell the 4k one from a massively more popular trilogy.

#5 8 years ago

I played hobbit at mgc...I did not like it, I had maybe 10 games in. The flipper power was pretty low, ball was slow, big draino, but didn't feel like there was a lot going on. I know there are drops with targets behind, but idk...I personally didn't feel it was great when playing. It is early and I didn't have a ton of games on it though... lotr though...mmm I like that game. I'd love to see jjp make a standard body and how that would shoot.

#6 8 years ago

Not sure what the OP is smoking, but hope you brought enough for the class

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Not sure what the OP is smoking, but hope you brought enough for the class

Unfortunately nothing.... not legal in Brazil yet!!!!

#8 8 years ago

no way. Market is already flooded. If Hobbit came before LOTR than maybe but not now. As it stands now what is their something like 2000 preordered? I do not think more than 1000 more will sell now they are $8-9k

#9 8 years ago

Looks like a cool game but being much more expensive will limit production numbers.. Cant wait to give one a try when its out though

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Looks like a cool game but being much more expensive will limit production numbers.. Cant wait to give one a try when its out though

Looks cool, but high cost and a theme which isn't nearly as good.

The Hobbit movies were botched where LOTR is considered one of the best Franchises at the time.

#11 8 years ago

Did IJ4 outsell IJ? Um...no.

#12 8 years ago

2000 Hobbits pre-ordered? Are you sure about that number? I don't even know of anyone who has one one order, and half of the pinball people I know bought a WOZ.

#13 8 years ago

Not at the asking price

#14 8 years ago

I can't give an opinion on the game because it wasn't working at allentown on friday when i was there! did they ever get it running?

#15 8 years ago

IMO this game will not be a huge seller, I didn't find gameplay all that fun. I'm sure some will love it to death and some will dislike it a lot (like WoZ).

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

IMO this game will not be a huge seller, I didn't find gameplay all that fun. I'm sure some will love it to death and some will dislike it a lot (like WoZ).

The people that dislike WOZ a lot didn't play it that much. There is so much to that game that I don't see how any pin-head could dislike it. Even if you do hate the theme. I think that Hobbit will be good too, but no way it outsells LOTR purely because of the price.

#17 8 years ago

Lotr VE maybe.

#18 8 years ago

I doubt it. 4k vs 8k.

The movies did not resonate with the pinball buyer/player demographic (male and over 30 - being generous here....) as well as LOTR. I didn't even bother to watch the last one.

And a layout that is cool and different, but not to everyone's tastes. Unique doesn't always expand the range of players/buyers, sometimes it narrows the range.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

There is so much to that game that I don't see how any pin-head could dislike it.

ruby slippers for flippers just didn't do it for me! lol

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The people that dislike WOZ a lot didn't play it that much. There is so much to that game that I don't see how any pin-head could dislike it.

Sometimes people just don't like a machine, it's that simple.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from yoshootme:

I can't give an opinion on the game because it wasn't working at allentown on friday when i was there! did they ever get it running?

Yes was up and running at around 5 or 6pm.
Lines were pretty long after that till close

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from yoshootme:

ruby slippers for flippers just didn't do it for me! lol

... and the overall soundtrack!

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The people that dislike WOZ a lot didn't play it that much. There is so much to that game that I don't see how any pin-head could dislike it.

I dislike WoZ. One ramp in a WB pin is too sad (IMO). I also dislike upper PF on pins. I can take them in small doses like TZ, or IJ but to have two upper PF on a pin is really too much for me.

You may be correct that people that don't like WoZ didn't play it that much, that's true because I tend to play games I like more than games I don't like.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I've played it enough; don't like it, probably never will. Playfield is not my cup of tea.

Hobbit seemed pretty fun at MGC, but it will never outsell LOTR. I'll put my money where my mouth is and lay 5-1 odds for any amount up to $2k ($10k for you if Hobbit wins).

#25 8 years ago

Hobbit is too expensive to outsell LOTR.

#26 8 years ago

And the answer is.... no. No way in hell.

#27 8 years ago

All fair points fellas. I guess I'm easier to please. I just know that have made the mistake of writing a game off before I gave it a fair shot. Then when I gave it a fair shot (usually with someone that knew it backwards and forwards), I discovered a much better appreciation for the game, even if it wasn't one I would like to own (HS, BBH, Dr. Who to name a few)

#28 8 years ago

The Hobbit will outsell any other pin in 2015. The game is awesome!

#29 8 years ago

I would say that there is 0.0% chance TH will sell half of what LOTR sold. No brainer. No chance whatsoever.

#30 8 years ago

In case the last 20 posts haven't driven the point home..the answer is Never! Let's hope it will crack the top 50 in game play...then we'll discuss how it will stack up against LOTR.

#31 8 years ago

It seems easy to conclude TH won't sell as many times as LOTR, but it might be more interesting to prognosticate some numbers. LOTR sold maybe 6.5k units +/- 1k including LE's. WOZ has sold around 3k among all models. It is reasonable to believe TH will sell better. Heck the preorder was upped a lot. With broader appeal of theme and even better integration of vid, maybe they could double sales... hitting numbers of 5k to 6k?? That would be quite a reach but it appears feasible. Worst case, I see a slight increase of sales of TH reaching 3.5k to 4k units sold.

A whole lot of factors will decide how many are actually sold, but to me it looks like the battle may be closer than you realize. If JJP sells 5k to 6k Hobbits, that would be considered a huge success in my book. 3k of WOZ is remarkable in its own right.

#33 8 years ago

can we hold off this poll until at least a hobbit gets delivered.

edited my own post after a frustration rant about the epic delays the JJP has in delivering any products

#34 8 years ago

Did lotr really sell 6.5K? I find that hard to believe. I would have thought somewhere between 4-5K in total. (even that is really impressive) I know that it had a couple of extra runs, but still, 6.5K?

The Hobbit could very well end up selling 2,5-3000. If that happens, it must be categorized as big success in today's market(probably on par with ac/dc sales) and that is the important thing. Already ca 1500 pre-orders bodes well.

Comparing it to a game from 2003 with multiple re-runs is unrealistic and pointless.

#35 8 years ago

It won't outsell Lord of the Rings because the Hobbit is a snooze fest. I hope nothing but the best for the hobbit and jersey jack but the excuse of "coding" can only take you so far. Don't get me wrong the game is gorgeous. But the game play of LOTR, and for the price of under 5k for a decent one will be hard to beat.

And no I'm not a Jersey Jack hater. I own the WOZ and love it. I also own LOTR. Just being honest...

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The people that dislike WOZ a lot didn't play it that much. There is so much to that game that I don't see how any pin-head could dislike it. Even if you do hate the theme.

People vary wildly in pinball tastes....so it's very possible.

I've played WoZ a lot. I'm not a huge fan...although I see why people like it.

It's okay to have differing opinions, and not everyone that disagrees is defective.

Pete

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

It seems easy to conclude TH won't sell as many times as LOTR, but it might be more interesting to prognosticate some numbers.

Since none of the numbers are publicly confirmed that seems pretty pointless really.

#38 8 years ago

It might "outsell" LOTR, but will it "OUTSHIP" LOTR

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

It might "outsell" LOTR...

Not a chance.

#40 8 years ago

It would be awesome if Hobbit outsold LOTR. I hope every pinball outsells LOTR.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

It would be awesome if Hobbit outsold LOTR. I hope every pinball outsells LOTR.

Hope springs eternal!

#42 8 years ago

The real question is will Keith make it a deeper game than lotr lol

Ken
Www.pinballrebel.com

#43 8 years ago

Absolutely not in many ways. I spent 3200 for my nib LOTR. The price alone will kill the opportunity for really high volume sales.

#44 8 years ago

It sure could. But then again, it might not.

#45 8 years ago

I seriously doubt it. First of all JJP has to start shipping these things out and then we'll see if the gameplay even comes close to LOTR.

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballrebel:

The real question is will Keith make it a deeper game than lotr lol

Serious question: Would people actually want that?

Because I'll be honest, as much as I like deeper, more engaging games, something that requires 2 hours to play isn't actually appealing to me. It's cool that some folks spend a couple years trying to get to Valinor and feel like they climbed Mt Everest finally. But gnarlier than that? I'd rather have a game that was a little more accessible personally.

Not "beat every day" easy or anything, just not so complicated and deep that you end up not wanting to play it all that much because it's such a grind to get anywhere.

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from karl:

Did lotr really sell 6.5K? I find that hard to believe. I would have thought somewhere between 4-5K in total. (even that is really impressive) I know that it had a couple of extra runs, but still, 6.5K?
The Hobbit could very well end up selling 2,5-3000. If that happens, it must be categorized as big success in today's market(probably on par with ac/dc sales) and that is the important thing. Already ca 1500 pre-orders bodes well.
Comparing it to a game from 2003 with multiple re-runs is unrealistic and pointless.

not even close to par with AC/DC sales. ACDC is Stern's top selling game of all time, more than POTC, more than LOTR. Not sure if they ever clarified if it outsold their highest selling Data East Titles

#48 8 years ago

Whether or not it outsells it, TH will outweigh LOTR!

#49 8 years ago

No chance in hell

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Hope springs eternal!

Thats the idea.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 7.50
$ 12.95
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Boards
PinSound

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.50
10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-could-outsell-lotr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.