Hobbit code, deep?

By Ccondo

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Can Hobbit owners tell me their assessment of ownership? Long lived title in your collection? How deep is the code? I love deep code and that seems to be what keeps me coming back the most of all...

Any insight would help, thank you.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from Ccondo:

Can Hobbit owners tell me their assessment of ownership? Long lived title in your collection? How deep is the code? I love deep code and that seems to be what keeps me coming back the most of all...
Any insight would help, thank you.

Find out next week when JJP streams new code on twitch! Search jjplive on twitch.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Find out next week when JJP streams new code on twitch! Search jjplive on twitch.

Where does it stand as it is?

#4 5 years ago

there are like a million modes but its really hard to ascertain which ones you should start etc and they dont really matter since its just ten million multiball stacks to get thru it imo . i play the modes with mb but dont really focus on them ever. snooze fest of a game imo but ymmv

maybe in a home environment it would be more fun to explore those different modes tho

#5 5 years ago

I'll chime in but I'm the wrong person to ask. I love the game it feels like it was made for me. No question it can be a workout I think of it as classical music, parts that are very soft, starts slow then bam total chaos then can slow down again. The things I like about it others don't. I like the pop ups, the various modes some are very difficult to complete and I haven't. I like going for the 3 mini wizard modes in which there are at least 5 levels to defeat Into the Fire (the first) . I've killed Smaug 3 times what a rush. Sometimes just try to play and beat modes. I have owned the game 18 months and it's my most played pin. The games average 4 minutes for me.

I also own Woz which is crazy, crazy deep I will never come close to getting 8 diamonds for Somewhere Over The Rainbow.

#6 5 years ago

It’s tremendously deep, immersive and amazing. I’ve had mine over year as my only modern pin and just now am thinking of trading it. It’s perfect for a home collection in my opinion as the modes take some time to learn, and the new code will require you to play more of them to get a good score. As it stands now, they are “ignored” by the “serious” players as they just cherry pick the couple easy ones and go for the mini wizard modes. This game is great, the best sound in any pin with a lightshow to match.

#7 5 years ago

I've owned TH.
At this time, I wouldn't say that it is deep, I wouldn't even say it is varied. Yes It has lots of modes but you only have to complete one mode to get to each of the wizard modes and the other goals remain the same in order to get there.
The wizard modes require the same things to be done to reach all 3 of them. Repetitive if you ask me.
Still a very good game with awesome movie clips just not many different ways to play it at this time.
Hope the new code fixes that.

#8 5 years ago

FWIW, I think the whole definition of deep code can be fairly subjective which makes it difficult for me to reach a conclusion on this. For example I've heard folks say that the Sterns Star Trek has deep code...I for one find ST to be lengthy, repetitive, and hard to complete...yet I dont consider this game to have deep rules. On the other hand, I do consider Sterns LotR to be a deep game as there are several modes that are all vastly different, 3 mini wizard multi-balls that are unique, Gift of the Elves awarded for mode completion that must be entirely completed to advance to the main wizard mode, and toss in There and back again for good measure and you have a really immersive game.

For the Hobbit, I find it somewhere in between...there are many, many, modes ( 30?) to play...but as others have said you only need to complete 3 to advance to Battle of the 5 armies. Even if there is a supreme Wizard mode for completing everything, its extremely unlikely that anyone will ever complete all 3 mini wizard modes AND all 30 game modes to reach it; especially with the current code as some modes are hindered in ways that make them difficult to complete in multi-ball and others nearly impossible to complete without a multi-ball.

Don't get me wrong here I enjoy playing the game as its really an immersive game to play and it draws you in as you advance through the modes and mini wizard modes; I played this on location and enjoyed playing it enough that I added one to my collection.

Hope this helps...

#9 5 years ago

Lots of code, yes but not deep IMO. Tspp, lotr, stern star wars, walking dead, are deep. got in some ways too.

Edit: full disclosure I do not own it but I was a few shots away from beating all three wizard modes the first night my friend has the game and my friend beat it in less than a week.

#10 5 years ago

I owned it and sold it but I miss it every day! I see it kinda like a RPG, sure you could try to rush through it but if you take your time to explore it in a home environment you will see how deep it can be and enjoy it more.

#11 5 years ago

I have owned the game and I believe it receives top notch scores in the way it looks, but when it comes to code I think it lacks a final wizard mode. I was fortunate enough to beat the game in less than a week and went through all three mini wizard modes twice through and was expecting some sort of final mission or another challenge kind of like a valindor in LOTR. However, it just stopped there.

#12 5 years ago

Had my best game ever, finishing Into the Fire and Barrel Frenzy and almost completing Battle of Five Armies. How do I start the damn Wizard mode?

Game play is long like LOTR but the multiballs are INTENSE. Hobbit code is wide, not deep, with lots of variety but only a few major building blocks. I can't imagine anyone not having fun if given a few free games on one. I found gameplay enjoyable enough to own one, although it won't appeal to most enough to buy one. I'm no pinball wizard, so mine is set to five ball games - which is great if you like playing journey style games and have time to kill.

Looking forward to Hobbit code update on a Friday. Will this version allows tuning off stacking with Smaug mb running, a setting to lessen the frequency of when pop-ups are used and more Smaug callouts.

Isn't there a coin door save option in menu?

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuxedomask23:

I have owned the game and I believe it receives top notch scores in the way it looks, but when it comes to code I think it lacks a final wizard mode

Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Finished Into the Fire and Barrel Frenzy and almost completed Battle of Five Armies. How do I start the Wizard mode?

The game isn't code complete yet; but fret not, there is a likely a very nice code release in a few days that will move the game along nicely (and will probably have the final wizard mode.

I know that JJP has said that the hobbit is not done yet; and even though it has been a while since the hobbit first shipped I am confident in what JJP can do with code, sound, and callouts.

#14 5 years ago

Hobbit is one of our favorite pins to own. I've played them out on location and truly believe that some operators just don't care about the setup, testing and tweaking. The JJP pins need to be dialed in and you have to spend some time with it. The code is sooooo deep to me for my definition of deep. The final wizard mode coming in the new version we may never see, but there is so much else there to explore and try. Truly a great pin for a home as you can find new things in it (code wise) for a long, long time. Game times can get long and if you like that kind of game that pulls you in to a type of quest, you will probably like it. When it first came out and we played the prototypes, we literally got chills from the excitement and theatrical presentation presented through the very deep code. We still really enjoy it when we are in the mood for a long game. Family and friends like WOZ better, but those that can make it further into the game are warming up to it and keep hitting that start button. Keith, Ted, Joe, David, and the JJP team did a great job with this one. It's not for everyone though as you will read in the reviews. You said that you like deep code … try it a few times before buying it. If a location doesn't have the game setup with everything working properly, try it at an upcoming show at a distributor's booth. Some distributors have them setup at their store front and would likely let you try it all that you want.

#15 5 years ago

The Hobbit was already a very deep game but the upcoming massive code update is going to take the game to the next level. Big and welcomed changes are coming

== Version 2.90PR June 28, 2018 ==
==============================================================================

- This is a Pre-Release version of software for testing only

=== Game Code

+ Added "There and Back Again" wizard mode for playing all Book Modes
+ Added enter name/initials for There and Back Again champ, Latest Smaug defeated,
Beast Champ, most modes played, most modes completed
* Rewrote Beast Frenzy rule: now wave-based to emphasize progression; super jackpot
is easier to achieve (after which mode can be cancelled via Ring Button)
+ Added adjustment that inhibits Beast Frenzy and Smaug MB overlap (default OFF)
+ Added intermediate difficulty level to Beast hurry-up rule
+ Added Status Report
+ Added award for playing all Book Modes for a given qualfier; award is
configurable for points (default) or spotting an Arkenstone task
+ Added adjustment to turn off Book Mode multiball
+ Added adjustment to turn off Book Mode selection with flippers after ramp shot
* Book Mode qualifier for Arkenstone now includes a scoring weight; more difficult
modes result in higher Arkenstone scoring
+ Added "Arkenstone Qualified" animation
* Fixed Arkenstone jewel animation at end of completed Book Mode
* Ring Button no longer available in Arkenstone modes
* Disallow starting an Arkenstone mode during a Book Mode
* Fixed pop-up beast arrow lamp colors showing during Arkenstone modes
+ Added new Ring anim colors to give each action its own color
* Ring Button lamp color now matched to action it will perform
* Fixed Smaug MB ramp diverter logic during grace
+ Added more Smaug speech for locking balls and jackpots
* Enhanced Smaug activity for multiball ready
* Fixed ramp LOCK light during "Flashback" mode
* Fixed "Flashback" ramp diverter logic during grace
* Ramp U-turn now scores ramp jackpots in Smaug Multiball
* Removed Smaug Multiball from Mystery Award
* Enhanced High Score/Enter Initials choreography
+ Added a bunch of speech calls to attract mode, game start, high scores, etc.
* Updated and added sound effects in a bunch of places
+ Added "Ball Saved" animation
+ Added ramp U-turn scoring rule
* Changed the mode hex icon display to improve contrast between played/not played modes
+ Bilbo, Gandalf, and Radagast arrows now light to show state of mode qualifier
+ Added GI lamp effects to all Book Modes
+ Added Book Mode completion percentage to book display
+ Added Book Mode "time added" display effect to book display
+ Added timer countdown speech to Book Modes
+ Added intro animations to Moon Runes and Fire & Water modes
* Book Mode "end scene" display is now killed when time added during grace
* Book Mode background movie now correctly restored when time added during grace
* Changed "The Bait" mode to use left VUK for "distract beast" shot
* Improved lamp usage in "The Bait", "Demise of Bolg", "The Contract",
"Gathering of Clouds" to help clarify targets to hit and avoid
* During "Demise of Bolg" adding time will now reset some drop targets
* Changed timer display for "Duel in Laketown" to clarify rule
* "Defeat of Azog" will now always pick a different beast for next shot
* Cleaned up instructions for "Orc Ambush"
+ Added error reporting for dragon stepper motor movement
* Dragon stepper motor is now turned off when game is idle
* Changed knocker "LOW" setting to be softer

=== Core Code

+ Added confirmation message and sound for setting clock and custom graphic
* Enhanced bumper and slingshot firing to provide finer adjustment granularity
* Fixed volume adjustment during game active that would sometimes leave music off
+ Added Test Report message for pinball missing
+ Added Switch History Test; shows 24 previous inactive->active switch transitions
* Changed kickback logic to prevent repeated firing with misadjusted switch
* Updated High Score/Enter Initials logic to handle all high score tables in
parallel so that all champ titles can be displayed at time of entry

#16 5 years ago

PinballSTAR has both Hobbit LE and Hobbit BA in stock ready to ship. I know many have inquired who were waiting for this big code update. Contact Joe at [email protected] for info / pricing.

#17 5 years ago

The new code is going to make the modes much more meaningful, imo. I can see the new strategy being to play modes and go for mini wizard modes when you are a shot or two away. Will totally revolutionize strategy and make a huge difference.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

The new code is going to make the modes much more meaningful, imo. I can see the new strategy being to play modes and go for mini wizard modes when you are a shot or two away. Will totally revolutionize strategy and make a huge difference.

Yup! This is a game changing update and will put The Hobbit on the level of LOTR and WOZ in terms of depth, if not surpass them. I think this update will end up making The Hobbit the game that many owners had hoped it would become from the beginning.

#19 5 years ago

In terms of Hobbits code evolution, I'd summarize it - 1.0 release allowed game to be played and scores kept .... and it was a big deal. 2.0 release was feature and multiball complete plus new audio, video and callouts added ... and it was a big deal. Awaiting 3.0 release and hoping ... it is a big deal.

Someone buying new Hobbit today, avoid living thru the stories of whether Hobbits would get made before JJP went out of business or of having to wait two years after receiving the game for code to be polished and complete. But not everyone will miss not having this knowledge either. Personally, I like knowing and don't mind being an early adapter.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-code-deep and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.