Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 156 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Sammy31
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 7 years ago
Quoted from Brickshot:

My Hobbit has the latest code and is not very old (born on date of early August 2016). The LED strip in the backbox (to light the backglass) seems completely dead. The solder points look good and nothing else seems loose. Thoughts anyone?

Did it ever work?

3 weeks later
#102 7 years ago

Did the end sequence for killing Smaug change? I swear in the original pre 1.90 code the game used to activate the flippers / poppers / mechanics...etc if you managed to destroy Smaug. Now there was just the audio clip of him, and the sound cut out and got really quiet for part of it too.

1 month later
#103 7 years ago

Anyone know when the next updated will be? Also will it give a wizard mode for playing all 31 modes and playing all arkenstone modes?

#104 7 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Anyone know when the next updated will be? Also will it give a wizard mode for playing all 31 modes and playing all arkenstone modes?

There's been a couple beta's. Doubt the next official will have a wizard mode based upon what has been worked on so far.

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

There's a release candidate 1.95P floating around now, so if that pans out, shouldn't be long.

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

New update in testing since last week. No super wizard mode yet unfortunately.
Arkenstone modes. Now have unlimited ball save for 10 seconds on each checkpoint. So no excuse now for failing them now! (except my lack of skill)

#107 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

No super wizard mode yet unfortunately.

Yet? There will be more updates after that?

#108 7 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Yet? There will be more updates after that?

I sure hope so. The Hobbit really needs some sort of reward for beating the sets of man, elf and dwarf modes. Right now only 3 out of the 31 book modes need to be beat to reach the 3 Arkenstone modes. There needs to be more incentive for beating the other 28 modes. A super wizard mode would help as well.

Also, I hope more callouts for Smaug are added to the game. Right now he really doesn't say a ton and some of his best lines from the films are not in the game. With Smaug being The Hobbits main toy it should be used more often.

#109 7 years ago

How long were they updating the WoZ code? With Dialed In coming end of second quarter-ish, and #4 on the way I can't imagine they'll keep updating TH much longer.

EDIT - I see WoZ got up to version 6.06, which suggests they keep at it for a while.

#110 7 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

How long were they updating the WoZ code? With Dialed In coming end of second quarter-ish, and #4 on the way I can't imagine they'll keep updating TH much longer.
EDIT - I see WoZ got up to version 6.06, which suggests they keep at it for a while.

WoZ has a new version in beta, 6.10 (with new features, even!), so it's still getting updated, even now. Puts Stern to shame.

#111 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I sure hope so. The Hobbit really needs some sort of reward for beating the sets of man, elf and dwarf modes. Right now only 3 out of the 31 book modes need to be beat to reach the 3 Arkenstone modes. There needs to be more incentive for beating the other 28 modes. A super wizard mode would help as well.
Also, I hope more callouts for Smaug are added to the game. Right now he really doesn't say a ton and some of his best lines from the films are not in the game. With Smaug being The Hobbits main toy it should be used more often.

Ya so true. I wish I didn't get as far as I did. I just got the hobbit and I set it up easy with 2 replay score extra balls(which are unneeded). I was having friends play it with me and my GF. I wanted it to be fun for them and I didn't want them to lose to early. The bad part was I woke up the next day and played an hour and a half game. I got 7.1 million played all 31 modes and 4 arkenstone modes. The last ball or two I had nothing to shoot for since all modes were done. It was just popups and smaug which was still cool.

This game would be taken to the next level if it had a wizard mode for bearing a certain number of modes. Maybe after 10 beaten modes you do a secret one ect. And after playing all of them something else. Game is awesome though and jjp does an exceptional job with everything

#112 7 years ago

PinMonk Do you have Some link for this update of woz?

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from EricPinball:

vireland Do you have Some link for this update of woz?

It's on the private JJP board. Email Jen at JJP for access.

#114 7 years ago

More Smaug call outs!!!! Please

Also , I like the idea of more wizard modes as you progress thru the regular modes. Maybe tie a wizard mode to playing ( not finishing ) a particular grouping of modes to add more strategy?

JJP please treat Hobbit like WOZ. Thanks

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Puts Stern to shame.

It's funny you say that as people started making payments on TH Dec of 2012 LOL yet 51 months after starting payments people are still talking code

#116 7 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

It's funny you say that as people started making payments on TH Dec of 2012 LOL yet 51 months after starting payments people are still talking code

how about "it amazing that after 51 months JJP is still improving their games!" why does there have to be a negativity about things around here. why can't things be more positive?

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Yes, we are talking about code for a game that now has 31 unique modes, any of which can be played as a multiball, and 3 main wizard modes that have multiple levels of progression.

#118 7 years ago

The code for the TH is great (like WOZ), but Keith can certainly make it even better - and I am sure that will happen.

#119 7 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

why can't things be more positive?

I would not have said thing 1 if a pinsider had not already gone negative. The pinsider in question regularly bashes Stern in Stern game threads

#120 7 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

I would not have said thing 1 if a pinsider had not already gone negative. The pinsider in question regularly bashes Stern in Stern game threads

+1 for stopping the hate cycle - oh wait

#121 7 years ago

@KingPinGames...does your brother ever share with you any insights into what Keith is thinking or coding on TH? If so, can you share anything? Specifically, is Keith planning any add'l game play changes? or is it more like or or

#122 7 years ago

PinMonk ,

Email send,thank you

#123 7 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

KingPinGames...does your brother ever share with you any insights into what Keith is thinking or coding on TH? If so, can you share anything? Specifically, is Keith planning any add'l game play changes? or is it more like or or

unfortunately no, but i can ask if there are any plans for anything like that.

#124 7 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

unfortunately no, but i can ask if there are any plans for anything like that.

That would be great, thanks!

2 weeks later
#125 6 years ago

Howdy pinsiders just got a hobbit pb. Has the 1.9 code . Are people rebooting this code? And yes targets are noisy any fix on that ? Just getting to know machine and seeing if anyone can throw some advice my way. Happy ballin Keith

#126 6 years ago

I wish

#127 6 years ago
Quoted from faultline760:

Howdy pinsiders just got a hobbit pb. Has the 1.9 code . Are people rebooting this code? And yes targets are noisy any fix on that ? Just getting to know machine and seeing if anyone can throw some advice my way. Happy ballin Keith

Watch this crappy video and you will know the bassics in playing the hobbit

#128 6 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Is 1.9 a delta update? I just set up my LE tonight and it has 1.31 this game is amazing!

Yes, 1.9 is a delta update.

#130 6 years ago

I want my code update!!!!!

#131 6 years ago

Hoping an official update drops soon... Recently updated to 1.9, and have been holding off on doing the 1.94/1.95 beta...

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

Hoping an official update drops soon... Recently updated to 1.9, and have been holding off on doing the 1.94/1.95 beta...

Same here, I heard they fixed the code so that if the ball zips down the left outlane before the kickback hits it you will get your ball back so I'm thinking i should get the beta to cut down on the frustration.

#133 6 years ago

This could be a silly question, but how do you get the beta code?

#134 6 years ago
Quoted from focusmediagroup:

This could be a silly question, but how do you get the beta code?

Join the private google group. Email jen at Jersey Jack games about it.

#135 6 years ago

I really hope they have an update soon for playing all 31 modes. After that there is literally nothing to do with the modes anymore.

I messed up and set it up too easy the first time. I had a bunch of friends who are new to pinball and wanted to make sure the had fun getting extra balls and stuff. Since then I made it alot harder and I hope the new code gives me something to beat that's new. Love the game

1 week later
#136 6 years ago

Is updating the code a hassle?
And how is it done?

#137 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Is updating the code a hassle?
And how is it done?

If it's a delta update, just plug in the USB drive by the coin box and select "USB update" from the menu. If it's a full update, turn off, plug in the USB drive, turn on, and wait.

Delta is way faster than a full update, but neither is much of a hassle. Prepping the USB for a full update is the longest part of the process.

1 week later
#138 6 years ago

Last week, after 4 years of waiting (don't get me started), I finally got my Hobbit game. Obviously the game has been played quite extensively in the past 9 days and here are some bugs I believe I found, plus some feature suggestions.

BUGS

- “The Bait” mode sound bug.

For some reason, the sound effects are much, much louder during "the bait" mode. It's an annoyance for me, but my friend, who suffers from a hearing condition, has to literally plug his ears if this mode gets triggered.
- High score initials bug.
When asked for initials twice (e.g. once for all-time rankings and then also for day-rankings) and when having 2 letter initials (e.g. "PV" - entering [P], [V], then [end]) the second time the game automatically fills in the letters for you, but will default to a letter A instead of "end".
- Riddles in the dark
Sound/video is completely out of sync? Not a huge issue, but it looks silly.
- Wrong sound byte
During one of the modes, I forgot which one (could also be into the fire), Gandalf is heard saying: “Shoot the Orc”, but the Warg target is the one that comes up and is meant to be shot.

SUGGESTIONS

- The game does a great job telling me that a mode is over (timed out) with a swiping white light effect. Awesome! Could it also do a light effect when I completed the active mode? Maybe that same swipe effect, but then in green?
- I love that Feast Frenzy song, but I really miss the more serious “Far Over the Misty Mountains Cold” song the dwarves sing in the first movie. Is this a license constrained? Coz I would love to have that included in the game somewhere.
- Maybe more visual/audio cues be added to make it more clear what to shoot for when an important shot comes up? I love when the game says "Shoot the left ramp!" or when lights very clearly indicate: "Hey shoot this here!". But I still have to look up to the screen(s) too often to know what shot I should make.
- Can something be done about the "card shuffling" sound that the drop targets make? It's quite, uhm, un-elegant. I think this happens when the drops are reset all at once, but most of my friends commented that the game "sounded broken" to them. Could the drops be reset at a somewhat easier pace to make it appear less so?

Loving the game so far! In fact, MUCH more than I had anticipated. It really is true that having a game at home can completely change your perception of it.

#139 6 years ago
Quoted from robin:

- “The Bait” mode sound bug.

For some reason, the sound effects are much, much louder during "the bait" mode. It's an annoyance for me, but my friend, who suffers from a hearing condition, has to literally plug his ears if this mode gets triggered

Alas, after review I have made an error. Good find. The mix for Scoring Fanfares is done dynamically at run-time. I specify how much the music goes down and how (when it goes down, when it starts to come back up and how fast). How far it goes down is a negative value. I left off the '-'. My bad.

This fix will be distributed along with more sounds in BOFA at some point in the near future.

DDT

#140 6 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

Alas, after review I have made an error. Good find. The mix for Scoring Fanfares is done dynamically at run-time. I specify how much the music goes down and how (when it goes down, when it starts to come back up and how fast). How far it goes down is a negative value. I left off the '-'. My bad.
This fix will be distributed along with more sounds in BOFA at some point in the near future.
DDT

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm real happy to hear that this will be fixed soon

#141 6 years ago

I never noticed the bug because 'the bait' is pretty much impossible for my skill level and I always avoid it!

Robin, you get used to the 'card shuffling' drop target sound. I call it 'machine gun' drops. And yes everyone thinks it's a broken sound when they first hear it.

#142 6 years ago

I have one little suggestion for the audio work: I watched the Smaug sequence of Hobbit part 2 as I was interested to see what lines Smaug has in the film. Pretty much everything is already being used except Smaug asking Bilbo "Who are you?". It may be fun if Smaug is asking that the player once the player can enter his highscore.

#143 6 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

I never noticed the bug because 'the bait' is pretty much impossible for my skill level and I always avoid it!
Robin, you get used to the 'card shuffling' drop target sound. I call it 'machine gun' drops. And yes everyone thinks it's a broken sound when they first hear it.

Avoiding a mode on purpose (as in, hitting the book shot to skip it) to me indicates that your skill level is pretty advanced!

Quoted from FalconPunch:

Well I suppose I can live with it. But I don't really like it, to be honest. I was wondering if this was an aesthetic choice or a tech limitation? I remember seeing that demo vid where they were showing off the drop targets resetting. It was impressive for sure, but being actually in the game I think it kind of "devalues" the whole experience. You know, Middle Earth, Elves, beatiful soundtrack and then KRRRRRRRT! It's just kind of a harsh sound

Quoted from tatapolus:

I have one little suggestion for the audio work: I watched the Smaug sequence of Hobbit part 2 as I was interested to see what lines Smaug has in the film. Pretty much everything is already being used except Smaug asking Bilbo "Who are you?". It may be fun if Smaug is asking that the player once the player can enter his highscore.

Great idea!

#144 6 years ago

Who else thinks TH needs more coding? I feel it's not finished. If the coding is done, for sale it goes. Would be a sad day but the code as it is now, does not compete with WOZ. Any thoughts?

#145 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Who else thinks TH needs more coding? I feel it's not finished. If the coding is done, for sale it goes. Would be a sad day but the code as it is now, does not compete with WOZ. Any thoughts?

It needs a lot more work, agreed. Lots of modes don't make it fun.

#146 6 years ago
Quoted from robin:

Well I suppose I can live with it. But I don't really like it, to be honest. I was wondering if this was an aesthetic choice or a tech limitation? I remember seeing that demo vid where they were showing off the drop targets resetting. It was impressive for sure, but being actually in the game I think it kind of "devalues" the whole experience. You know, Middle Earth, Elves, beatiful soundtrack and then KRRRRRRRT! It's just kind of a harsh sound

There are some huge number of individually controlled targets and they get reset so it makes a sound. How is this not a tech limitation?

#147 6 years ago

There is no major wizard mode. So the game is still 'pointless' to me. Once you do all 3 arkenstone modes, there is nothing to do but go around the bend again.

Chuck a super wizard mode in there and I'll start playing again and with purpose! Don't want to let it go, but don't want to keep playing it in its unfinished state. So it's sitting there in the corner while I play everything else.

I have faith it will happen. But it is bloody annoying waiting, especially when the hobbit has been shipping for a year. I waited a year before that....so I feel like I've been waiting 2 years. Others have waited since late 2012? So 4 and a half years is another way to think about it.

#148 6 years ago

I don't doubt that more code is still coming. The wait sucks but what is already in The Hobbit is remarkable for a pinball machine and I think its already one of the best objective based pins ever made. The game has more code in it then pretty much any other pinball machine ever made. However, its not tying all of the games modes together in an interesting way that is hurting the game right now in my opinion.

Right now there are 31 book modes in the game but only 3 need to be completed to unlock an Arkenstone mode. What about the other 28 book modes? The book modes are awesome, a lot of work went into them, but there needs to be more incentive to play through them. A reward for beating the sets of man, elf and dwarf modes and / or for beating say 5, 10, 15, 20 etc modes would be great to see. The lack of something along those lines is biggest issue I have with the game today.

Also, it would be nice if Beast Frenzy and Feast Frenzy are expanded upon to make them beatable with an option to turn off stacking with Smaug MB so that Smaug MB can be enjoyed on its own.

Oh, the qualifications for reaching an Arkenstone mode are all the same so you have to do the same 4 tasks 3 times to unlock the 3 wizard modes which makes the game feel like a bit of a grind. It would be great to see the qualifications for the 2nd and 3rd Arkenstone modes altered slightly to mix things up.

Finally, a super wizard mode for beating everything would give the game its own "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" equivalent goal.

#149 6 years ago
Quoted from robin:

I love that Feast Frenzy song, but I really miss the more serious “Far Over the Misty Mountains Cold” song the dwarves sing in the first movie. Is this a license constrained? Coz I would love to have that included in the game somewhere.

Congrats on finally getting your game!! I couldn't agree with this more. This song is eerily good. Why isn't it in the game?

#150 6 years ago

I wish there would be a final wizard mode as well, but the Battle of the Five Armies is the final act in the movies and book. How it would be programed to tie it all together would take an ingenious idea.
There have been many really good ideas especially on the JJP forum for Hobbit wish code list, but the few things that I have wanted to see is more Smaug call outs where it had been mentioned early on that Smaug would interact with the player, stop feast frenzy or beast mb with interacting with Smaug mb as it just results into a flail fest. And certainly polishing up some of the small bugs. Game is on the edge of greatness, but not there at the moment.
*Reserve ball is a really good addition. Just waiting on the final code revision for that one, plus the windlance reversed strength bug, etc.)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods
Other
There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-code-19-now-available/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.