3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 156 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Sammy31
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 3 years ago

The 1.9 update has been released! Details below.

Thank you Keith, Ted, David, JP and the entire JJP team for continuing the great code support for The Hobbit

http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/support/

==============================================================================
== Version 1.90 ==
==============================================================================

=== Known Issues

- Note that Headphone Volume doesn't work for Hobbit; it was meant to be
suppressed. The software has no idea if headphones are plugged in or not
on Hobbit, so we have to use the normal volume.

=== Game Code

* Added safety check for mode starts.
+ Mode/map bonuses.
- At the end of each mode, you can earn up to 3 different kinds of bonuses:
1. Timer Bonus (not shown on total screen right now): Each second you
have left when you win a mode gets added to MULTIPLIABLE bonus.
The points earned are 1+2+3... for each second you have remaining.
2. Map Bonus: If the map is beyond where the mode takes place, you
earn +25% mode total in unmultiplied end-of-ball bonus. For each
completion of the map (got to super spinner), you get an additional
+50% added.
3. Previous Mode Bonus: Each mode now has a completion percent
associated with it (shown on grand total page). Each mode can have
0-3 "feeder" mode associated with it. For each feeder mode, you
earn a percentage bonus based on the total completion percentage of
the feeder modes. Each feeder mode is displayed on the grand total
page, dim if you haven't played the feeder, and solid if you have.
Good luck finding some good feeder combinations! All of the feeders
"make sense" (at least to me) in terms of how they relate to future
covered modes, so some can probably be guessed pretty easily.
+ Broken beast compensation. If a beast isn't coming up, then shots behind
each beast will count towards hitting the beast. The relevant switches
are the left and right spinners, and the left and right ramp entrances.
* Changed spinner scoring.
* Bonus reformatted to take new items into account.
* Fixed a relatively rare crash bug on a mode shot.
+ Smaug death fanfare.
* Fixed super spinner scoring bug (each spin scored twice intended).
* Super spinner timer remaining adds to timer bonus.
* Feast Frenzy timer remaining adds 3x to timer bonus.
* Fix Moon Runes not showing grand total screen properly.
* Add card reader movies to attract mode.
+ Volume effects. If you don't like these, note the adjustments in
Settings->System Settings->Sound.
* All book modes have been score balanced a lot better than they were.
There were a lot of winners (like Rescue Gandalf and Defeat of Azog) and
some losers (Roast Mutton).
+ Battle of Five Armies.
+ Black Arrow support.

=== Core Code

* Fixed an extremely rare crash bug (r1159).
* Fix label on coil test enter button.
* Fix tilt logic that was giving about a half second less of plumb bob
debounce time than expected.
* Bulletproof ball roll tilt detection.
* Fix Match bug where turning off match still gave a 10% chance of matching.

=== OS

* Fix update routine that stopped update screen from showing after 30s.
* Added missing "update complete" screen.

#2 3 years ago

Sweet! Know what I'm doing this evening!

#3 3 years ago

about time, was beginning to worry that early Christmas was canceled. Can't wait to ho, ho, hoof it home to try the out 1.90. Mostly excited about addition of five armies mode, mode score balancing and end of ball bonuses.

#4 3 years ago

Oh yeah, looks like a huge update! The end of ball bonuses scoring is really slick as it provides more incentive for completing the games modes.

#5 3 years ago

So like...I have no bloody clue how mode/wizard advancement works on this game and local location got one. I spent 45 minutes playing the thing and had stacked multiballs more times than I care to remember, played Into the Fire and Barrel Escape...no clue how I qualified them at ALL...but that was basically all I could do prior to this code? Battle of Five Armies was not available?

There anything else I missed on the first full game I've ever played on a Hobbit? X_X

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

So like...I have no bloody clue how mode/wizard advancement works on this game and local location got one. I spent 45 minutes playing the thing and had stacked multiballs more times than I care to remember, played Into the Fire and Barrel Escape...no clue how I qualified them at ALL...but that was basically all I could do prior to this code? Battle of Five Armies was not available?
There anything else I missed on the first full game I've ever played on a Hobbit? X_X

Yeah, I don't think BoFA was done in the 1.31 release.

Basically, you collect the 5 Arkenstones (the little triangular gold pointers on each window of the display), then hit the left or right hole to start the next mode (Into the Fire, Barrel Escape, Battle of Five Armies). You have to do them in order every time, I believe.

The worst Arkenstone to collect, IMO, is the one where you have to keep hitting the spinner to travel on the map. Smaug Multiball is too easy to get, Beast modes are pretty easy, collecting the dwarves aren't too hard, and spelling Dwarf, Elf, Man isn't bad. So, do those five things, get a special mode, repeat.

You can select which modes you want to do by turning the pages on the book LCD by hitting the left ramp until the mode you want is displayed on the small book LCD. Then, if LOCK is lit on the right ramp, but you want to do a mode instead, hit the Ring button (if it's charged) to suspend Lock and let mode light instead. Then hit the right ramp to start the mode you selected on the book LCD.

It's not super-intuitive, and needs the option of more callouts for what you should do in each mode, since it's hard to look up to READ what the instruction scrolls on the big screen say when you're in the middle of a crazy multiball. Smaug also needs a LOT more to say. Not sure if he talks more in 1.90 yet.

#7 3 years ago

Downloading now. Hope this allows mode stacking during multiballs

#8 3 years ago

I'm encouraged by the fact that this is "1.9" and not 2.0.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I prefer to be optimistic that more is coming.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'm encouraged by the fact that this is "1.9" and not 2.0.
Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I prefer to be optimistic that more is coming.

Someone correct me if I'm spreading false information, but I thought at Expo it was announced this was to be the final code, and there would only be more if bug fixes were required? Am I wrong about that?

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Someone correct me if I'm spreading false information, but I thought at Expo it was announced this was to be the final code, and there would only be more if bug fixes were required? Am I wrong about that?

No, that's exactly what was said. Though if that was actually the case, I would think that V2.0 would be the release. V1.9 at least implies another fairly significant update.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://www.LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You are right that he said that.

I'm pretty sure Jack called WoZ code "final" at version 2.0, but that game appears to have gotten a lot more stuff between 2.0 and 6.06. I suppose the same could happen for TH (hopefully).

He also said the "final" code for TH would be released last Thursday night, and that obviously didn't happen... So perhaps he isn't too up on what the deal is with the code.

#13 3 years ago

It is the full game with all modes but they will refine it is what I assume final meant. That is what they did with WOZ. Keith said there will still be a few tweaks on WOZ.

#14 3 years ago

1.9 man just keep loving this game more and more! Keith your coding skills are sick!! And I just about dropped out on this pre-order lolololol what a mistake I would have made...

#15 3 years ago

I agree, even more polish in this build and another wizard mode (Battle of the Five Armies). I think Keith will continue to make more updates to the code over the next several months. This machine keeps getting better and better - I am really happy I have it.

Some of the cool things I noticed in this build right off:

1. Lighting effects look improved.
2. Heard new callouts from Smaug and Bilbo.
3. Audio seems clearer to me.
4. Mode feeders is a cool concept - I like the way it show more details about the mode after you finish or fail it. If this was planned from the start and he is just placing this in now it makes me wonder how much more he has up his sleeve. And I though mode locks was amazing - now mode feeders? Any other game have a concept like that? I like how it shows the mode feeder icons at the top of the screen in the mode recap scroll.
5. I like the new format of the final bonus screen.
6. Keep the updates coming -nice work!

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, I kind of took it to mean "final" as in all the stuff is finally there in the game framework. Missing one whole mode in 1.3 made it obviously not done. Now everything's there and it can be refined. WoZ was "final" at 2.0, but they kept refining until 5.05, and then there was a VERY significant update with 6.06 that added a lot. Hopefully Hobbit will follow a similar path.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

No, that's exactly what was said. Though if that was actually the case, I would think that V2.0 would be the release. V1.9 at least implies another fairly significant update.
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://www.LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

Exactly my point.

#18 3 years ago

Another great update! Battle of the Five Armies is awesome and challenging. Game is very multiball heavy and ball times are long after earning extra balls. I had to stop after ball 1 (including 5 extra balls) of 5.7 million because it took an hour.

Wishlist: Arkenstone modes save progress, pause game feature

Modes are very important now as is end of ball bonus. Great work by Keith and the team!

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballer0415:

Another great update! Battle of the Five Armies is awesome and challenging. Game is very multiball heavy and ball times are long after earning extra balls. I had to stop after ball 1 (including 5 extra balls) of 5.7 million because it took an hour.
Wishlist: Arkenstone modes save progress, pause game feature
Modes are very important now as is end of ball bonus. Great work by Keith and the team!

Yeah, the multiball/extra ball needs to be re-balanced in the default settings. I adjusted it so it's not like an extra ball gumball machine, and multiballs are a bit harder to start, and while the ball times are still a little long, it's not insanely long to the point of wanting to just walk away after one ball and 20-30 minutes of play.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Yeah, the multiball/extra ball needs to be re-balanced in the default settings. I adjusted it so it's not like an extra ball gumball machine, and multiballs are a bit harder to start, and while the ball times are still a little long, it's not insanely long to the point of wanting to just walk away after one ball and 20-30 minutes of play.

Smaug multiball can be a bi**h to start when the rollovers start toggling every time they're hit...you don't want to blast through multiple Smaug multiballs because it gets REAL tough to qualify later on for Arkenstone modes.

#21 3 years ago

Thanks, Vireland! As far as advancing on the map or shooting the spinners, I was doing a LOT of that anyways to get the +1 ball on a mode..I mean....why wouldn't you. That's effectively just about a free multiball for every mode you start. Maybe that's why I found the game so incredibly easy...it felt a LOT like Stargate to me where I was almost constantly in some kind of multiball it seemed like. Pretty sure my final score was around 2.5 million (I dunno what their extra ball settings are or even the code version, but I know I had at least 2, if not 3, extra balls). It was a real slog and took about 45 minutes.

Quoted from Pimp77:

rollovers start toggling

What, when they switch between red and green? I thought that was kind of cool. Didn't seem to cause me tooooo much grief. I had three stacked Beast+Smaug multiballs in that one game I played. I had watched a few minutes of a video and knew better than to stack them because the Smaug shots would be hard to make with all the beasts in the way, but I just can't resist a good stack.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

...it felt a LOT like Stargate to me where I was almost constantly in some kind of multiball it seemed like. Pretty sure my final score was around 2.5 million (I dunno what their extra ball settings are or even the code version, but I know I had at least 2, if not 3, extra balls). It was a real slog and took about 45 minutes.

The location probably has everything set on factory default. It's easy to the point of boring with factory defaults, IMO. Tighten up some of the extra ball and memory options and it becomes more satisfying (and understandable) to play, AFAIC.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

What, when they switch between red and green? I thought that was kind of cool. Didn't seem to cause me tooooo much grief. I had three stacked Beast+Smaug multiballs in that one game I played. I had watched a few minutes of a video and knew better than to stack them because the Smaug shots would be hard to make with all the beasts in the way, but I just can't resist a good stack.

No...when it toggles between off and green every time you roll over one. It's around the 4th or 5th Smaug multiball when that starts to happen. You have to get all letters green at the same time to lock in a "lock lit". The red is for the mode multiballs...that's different.

#24 3 years ago

What pitch do you guys have this game at? I just got mine and I have balls flying off the habitrails, side drains like crazy, EVERYTHING rolls off a pop-up or the lock buttons and goes SDTM. I'm a pretty good player (I've finished my share of wizard modes on other games) but I'm getting torched on this game. The frequency of the ball redirecting from the pop-ups or the lock buttons and going straight down the middle is pissing me off like crazy.

Only thing I can think of as to why my experience is SO different from everyone else is in the setup.

Any advice?

#25 3 years ago

I just picked up a Hobbit LE this weekend, I would like to update the software. The current version is 1.3, I'm on JJP's website as I'm typing this. Do I download the "change-log" or the "delta"? Any other specific advice? I've done several Stern's, is it similar?

Thanks,
Zamp

#26 3 years ago

Just clicked the "change-log" it's the log of changes. lol
So "delta" it is!

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

I just picked up a Hobbit LE this weekend, I would like to update the software. The current version is 1.3, I'm on JJP's website as I'm typing this. Do I download the "change-log" or the "delta"? Any other specific advice? I've done several Stern's, is it similar?
Thanks,
Zamp

Hi Zamp. Download the 1.9 delta file. Once downloaded extract the file directly to the root of a formatted USB thumb drive. The extraction process will take a while to run.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

What pitch do you guys have this game at? I just got mine and I have balls flying off the habitrails, side drains like crazy, EVERYTHING rolls off a pop-up or the lock buttons and goes SDTM. I'm a pretty good player (I've finished my share of wizard modes on other games) but I'm getting torched on this game. The frequency of the ball redirecting from the pop-ups or the lock buttons and going straight down the middle is pissing me off like crazy.
Only thing I can think of as to why my experience is SO different from everyone else is in the setup.
Any advice?

6.5 to 6.8 seems like a normal pitch from what I read. I would try to lower the power to all flippers on your game until the airballs stop. I have silcone bands on my Hobbit and lowered my flipper power to I think 18 to reduce airballs.

#29 3 years ago

Get the 1.9 delta. Right on the support site they have instructions on how to setup the stick correctly.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

6.5 to 6.8 seems like a normal pitch from what I read.

6.5 might be normal for most pins, but not Hobbit. I think it is pretty much accepted that Hobbit should be set around 6.9 degrees or more. I have mine at 7.0.

#31 3 years ago

Thanks guy's, that was easy once I had the know how. Any reason why I can't get a "progress screen" to come up in game while holding the flipper button? I remember my WOZ had an awesome "flow chart" of your current progress. Could a setting be turned off in the menu?

Thanks for help,
Zamp

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Thanks guy's, that was easy once I had the know how. Any reason why I can't get a "progress screen" to come up in game while holding the flipper button? I remember my WOZ had an awesome "flow chart" of your current progress. Could a setting be turned off in the menu?
Thanks for help,
Zamp

I am not sure if a flow chart is needed. The five different quadrants which associate with the 5 runes needed keep track of the progress for each of those (i.e. Advance to Erebor, collect all dwarves, etc.), and the rune symbol itself will indicate if the quadrant is completed to advance towards an Arkenstone mode. You then have the three Arkenstone inserts to indicate which have been played (or completed, not sure exactly how they work).

Then, the big mode grid keeps track of modes played and such...

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Thanks for help,
Zamp

I recommend looking through the current rule sheet (updates as of 1.31 code). It is very helpful...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-rulesheet/page/2#post-3297717

#34 3 years ago

Are attract sounds or music installed yet? I never hear any attract sounds and yes, I have mine turned on.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Are attract sounds or music installed yet? I never hear any attract sounds and yes, I have mine turned on.

Not sure, I haven't tried yet. If its not enabled in this update I'm sure it will be there in a future one.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Mine is on as well....and it will 'talk' once in a while - but not often. Cool when it does because it doesn't happen often (which I like it that way)

#37 3 years ago

When Battle of Five Armies started for me the Book screen went dark. It started playing videos after the mode finished. Anyone else see this happen?

#38 3 years ago

My screen went completely dark and I got a message saying "no signal" when I was playing yesterday. It had never done that to me before. A reboot fixed the issue, but I wonder if there is a bug in the new code?

#39 3 years ago

Your big screen or the "Book" screen? Only my book screen went dark and it came right back on after the mode.

#40 3 years ago

Think I saw a bug last night that was fixed for v1.35, but is broken again. Shot 3 balls into the orbits to save them for mode play and then locked 2 balls and then started Smaug mb. Once Smaug was over I started a mode, but it was only single ball. So code no longer kept track of my 3 saved balls.

**disclaimer - I may have been drunk and this may have happened to me twice. Only thing I remember of yesterday with certainty, is that it was pretty fantastic!

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Your big screen or the "Book" screen? Only my book screen went dark and it came right back on after the mode.

Both.

Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Think I saw a bug last night that was fixed for v1.35, but is broken again. Shot 3 balls into the orbits to save them for mode play and then locked 2 balls to start Smaug mb. Once Smaug was over I started a mode, but it was only single ball. So code no longer kept track of my 3 saved balls.
**disclaimer - I may have been drunk and this may have happened to me twice. Only thing I remember of yesterday with certainty, is that it was pretty fantastic!

I can definitely confirm this.

I mean the part about the mode start not remembering saved balls after Smaug, not the drunk part.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Think I saw a bug last night that was fixed for v1.35, but is broken again. Shot 3 balls into the orbits to save them for mode play and then locked 2 balls and then started Smaug mb. Once Smaug was over I started a mode, but it was only single ball. So code no longer kept track of my 3 saved balls.

Maybe you started a mode during Smaug that used the 3 balls?

#43 3 years ago

I just confirmed that the "Book" monitor goes dark during Battle of Five Armies. And I defeated Smaug for the third time! G.C. Score: 3,417,484. What a game!

#44 3 years ago

Just loaded 1.90 and I'm getting some unattended jet bumper action randomly while playing. Anyone else seeing this with 1.90 ?

#45 3 years ago

Sure would be nice if he would code in a ball save when the kick back fails and the ball drains.

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Sure would be nice if he would code in a ball save when the kick back fails and the ball drains.

^^^This^^^
Happened to me tonight on my second ball after uploading the 1.9 code (which for the record is awesome).

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I just don't understand why coders don't do this? Is it hard? I guess the problem is that the only way to really do it is to have a ball save turn on every time the kick back (if lit) switch is activated, so even when it works, you will still have a ball save active, even if for a very short period of time.

Same issue on STLE when I owned it.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I just don't understand why coders don't do this? Is it hard? I guess the problem is that the only way to really do it is to have a ball save turn on every time the kick back (if lit) switch is activated, so even when it works, you will still have a ball save active, even if for a very short period of time.
Same issue on STLE when I owned it.

I think that's the issue...they don't want a ball save happening if it DID kick the ball in play. No way to tell how it drained.

We need another switch/opto in the outlane after the kickback to know for sure.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Couldn't you just say that if the outhole switch is triggered and the kickback is lit and the previous switch was the left outlane then keep ball in play? Assuming you have access to that kind of data, that seems like it'd give you the desired effect.

#50 3 years ago

Is 1.9 a delta update? I just set up my LE tonight and it has 1.31 this game is amazing!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Flagstaff, AZ
There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside