Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Hobbit sling pivot (resized).jpg
Hobbit R sling repair (resized).JPG
Hobbit R sling closeup (resized).JPG
Hobbit L Sling repair (resized).JPG
Hobbit L sling notes (resized).JPG
Hobbit L sling closeup (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kenlayton.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

A friend has a new Hobbit on location in his business and after about 200 games played on it, the left slingshot plastic has broken in half. After I removed the broken slingshot plastic (which had swiveled around and trapped the ball causing a service call), I noticed the entire slingshot arm and pivot bracket had a ton of slop in it. It looks like all the slop in the arm caused the arm to hammer the plastic and break it in half. A new machine should not have slingshot kicker arms wearing out after just 200 plays. Sometimes the kicker arm gets stuck in the fully extended position and a ball hops behind the rubber causing a service call.

Anyway, I went to the local Ace Hardware and bought two "J-Clips" (a.k.a. speed clips) and slipped one onto the broken left slingshot plastic and the other onto the UNbroken right slingshot plastic as a preventative measure. The repaired left slingshot plastic also got a drop of glue to help hold it together along with the metal clip. The clip does help to reinforce the broken area.

I emailed this problem (and pictures) to tech support at Jersey Jack OVER A WEEK AGO and never heard back, so I am posting the problem here.

Hobbit L Sling repair (resized).JPGHobbit L Sling repair (resized).JPGHobbit L sling closeup (resized).JPGHobbit L sling closeup (resized).JPGHobbit L sling notes (resized).JPGHobbit L sling notes (resized).JPGHobbit R sling closeup (resized).JPGHobbit R sling closeup (resized).JPGHobbit R sling repair (resized).JPGHobbit R sling repair (resized).JPG

#3 5 years ago

Perhaps if the factory made their own stainless steel "clip" to put on the plastic, that would help. The kicker arm would then hit the clip instead of the plastic. Of course the real solution would be to make the slingshot kicker pivot and kicker arm itself out of tougher (higher quality) metal.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

I expect you'll hear from the JJP folks

Nine days now since I contacted them and still not a peep from the factory.

#8 5 years ago

Here is the culprit causing the excessive slop in the slingshot arm. The post on the pivot bracket is loose as a goose due to poor crimping at the factory. The post flops around in a good 1/8" circle on the bracket. Looks like it was never properly pressed in and crimped. In the picture, you can see the gap and how loose it is. I replaced it with a Williams # A-17810 Slingshot Pivot Bracket which I had on hand. I keep those Williams brackets in stock because I encounter so many worn ones on Williams machines that come in for repair or restoration. The Williams part number is an EXACT replacement for the Jersey Jack part.

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2830

I think Jersey Jack owes us a new slingshot pivot bracket since this one was obviously defective. We deserve a new slingshot plastic too.

The Jersey Jack part number for the pivot bracket is 10-0043-00 for everyone's reference.

Hobbit sling pivot (resized).jpgHobbit sling pivot (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#10 5 years ago

Update: We never heard from the factory. My friend was pissed the factory never bothered to contact him about the slingshot problem. A couple of days ago he sold the machine and swears to NEVER buy any Jersey Jack machines again.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

20 days ago I asked you about switching out the slingshot plastics for the extras that come with the machine. You never responded. See how that works?

We did find a new one in the bag. Too late now because the machine is gone (sold). The Hobbit was side-by-side with a Stern Metallica at this location. The Metallica definitely out-earned the Hobbit by quite a bit. We've had good luck with Stern tech support when needed. My friend will probably buy an Iron Maiden with the money from the sale of the Hobbit.

#19 5 years ago

The Hobbit just wasn't a very fun game to play. It got boring after a while. The Metallica is still great fun to play again and again.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from trilamb:

You sold the game but kept the goodie bag?

No, the goodie bag went with the machine.

#28 5 years ago

My friend has personally got 100 machines in his collection, plus operates some in his storefront (coin shop/rare coin dealer). If a machine isn't to his liking, he gets rid of it. I do the service work for him. This was my first time contacting Jersey Jack to let them know of a problem with the slingshot kicker assembly breaking the plastics. I decided to email them because I had pictures of the problem. I was completely ignored.

My friend does on occasion, purchase brand new machines (in cash).

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

Not to speak for anyone else, but I suspect the annoyance here is not the broken plastic itself, but the total radio silence when they are presented with details about a clear QA issue which has caused that broken plastic. If nothing else, I would have expected a "Thanks for letting us know, we'll make sure this doesn't happen going forward."
We experienced the same when we informed JJP about the horrible quality of the soldering of through-hole components on the small Hobbit LCD screen. Thorough documentation, sent by email, and we got no response whatsoever. (We did get an upvote from LTG when we later shared our findings here on Pinside, so there's that.)
I expect a professional production company to have a decent quality management system in place. The feeling that well documented feedback of real issues goes into a black hole, does not instill much confidence.

Thank you for putting into words my feelings.

I feel like they don't care about actual "field" problems showing up and them failing to even acknowledge what I pointed out was a problem that should be looked into.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.50
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kenlayton.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-broken-slingshot-plastics-already?tu=kenlayton and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.