View topic image gallery

Hobbit sling pivot (resized).jpg
Hobbit R sling repair (resized).JPG
Hobbit R sling closeup (resized).JPG
Hobbit L Sling repair (resized).JPG
Hobbit L sling notes (resized).JPG
Hobbit L sling closeup (resized).JPG

#1 5 years ago

A friend has a new Hobbit on location in his business and after about 200 games played on it, the left slingshot plastic has broken in half. After I removed the broken slingshot plastic (which had swiveled around and trapped the ball causing a service call), I noticed the entire slingshot arm and pivot bracket had a ton of slop in it. It looks like all the slop in the arm caused the arm to hammer the plastic and break it in half. A new machine should not have slingshot kicker arms wearing out after just 200 plays. Sometimes the kicker arm gets stuck in the fully extended position and a ball hops behind the rubber causing a service call.

Anyway, I went to the local Ace Hardware and bought two "J-Clips" (a.k.a. speed clips) and slipped one onto the broken left slingshot plastic and the other onto the UNbroken right slingshot plastic as a preventative measure. The repaired left slingshot plastic also got a drop of glue to help hold it together along with the metal clip. The clip does help to reinforce the broken area.

I emailed this problem (and pictures) to tech support at Jersey Jack OVER A WEEK AGO and never heard back, so I am posting the problem here.

Hobbit L Sling repair (resized).JPGHobbit L Sling repair (resized).JPGHobbit L sling closeup (resized).JPGHobbit L sling closeup (resized).JPGHobbit L sling notes (resized).JPGHobbit L sling notes (resized).JPGHobbit R sling closeup (resized).JPGHobbit R sling closeup (resized).JPGHobbit R sling repair (resized).JPGHobbit R sling repair (resized).JPG

#2 5 years ago

It looks like the "Ax" would add more stress and likely more swing to the sling action.
Perhaps if the slot in the plastic were deeper the ax would not break the plastic however, a deeper slot would also make the plastic that much weaker.
Just thinking...

#3 5 years ago

Perhaps if the factory made their own stainless steel "clip" to put on the plastic, that would help. The kicker arm would then hit the clip instead of the plastic. Of course the real solution would be to make the slingshot kicker pivot and kicker arm itself out of tougher (higher quality) metal.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Perhaps if the factory made their own stainless steel "clip" to put on the plastic, that would help. The kicker arm would then hit the clip instead of the plastic. Of course the real solution would be to make the slingshot kicker pivot and kicker arm itself out of tougher (higher quality) metal.

I haven't seen this problem before.
I've got about 1000 games on my hobbit, plastics still look new.

I expect you'll hear from the JJP folks

#5 5 years ago

Did you check the slingshot mech itself to see where the slop is coming from? New games need adjustment to dial them in. Would be worth investigating.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

I expect you'll hear from the JJP folks

Nine days now since I contacted them and still not a peep from the factory.

#7 5 years ago

Is it possible to apply a coat of something to the bottom of the sling plastic to strengthen the plastic and decrease the chance of breaking?

#8 5 years ago

Here is the culprit causing the excessive slop in the slingshot arm. The post on the pivot bracket is loose as a goose due to poor crimping at the factory. The post flops around in a good 1/8" circle on the bracket. Looks like it was never properly pressed in and crimped. In the picture, you can see the gap and how loose it is. I replaced it with a Williams # A-17810 Slingshot Pivot Bracket which I had on hand. I keep those Williams brackets in stock because I encounter so many worn ones on Williams machines that come in for repair or restoration. The Williams part number is an EXACT replacement for the Jersey Jack part.

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2830

I think Jersey Jack owes us a new slingshot pivot bracket since this one was obviously defective. We deserve a new slingshot plastic too.

The Jersey Jack part number for the pivot bracket is 10-0043-00 for everyone's reference.

Hobbit sling pivot (resized).jpgHobbit sling pivot (resized).jpg

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Here is the culprit causing the excessive slop in the slingshot arm. The post on the pivot bracket is loose as a goose due to poor crimping at the factory. The post flops around in a good 1/8" circle on the bracket. Looks like it was never properly pressed in and crimped. In the picture, you can see the gap and how loose it is. I replaced it with a Williams # A-17810 Slingshot Pivot Bracket which I had on hand. I keep those Williams brackets in stock because I encounter so many worn ones on Williams machines that come in for repair or restoration. The Williams part number is an EXACT replacement for the Jersey Jack part.
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2830
I think Jersey Jack owes us a new slingshot pivot bracket since this one was obviously defective. We deserve a new slingshot plastic too.

If it's a new game as you said then there should be replacement slingshot plastics in the goodie bag, no?

3 weeks later
#10 5 years ago

Update: We never heard from the factory. My friend was pissed the factory never bothered to contact him about the slingshot problem. A couple of days ago he sold the machine and swears to NEVER buy any Jersey Jack machines again.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Update: We never heard from the factory. My friend was pissed the factory never bothered to contact him about the slingshot problem. A couple of days ago he sold the machine and swears to NEVER buy any Jersey Jack machines again.

Must be a full moon tonight..

#12 5 years ago

Not sure of the entire context of this but this is why I love my distributor. He is in my corner and helps with these sorts of issues. This is also why I only deal with people I trust and won't change that over a few bucks. Sorry for your friends problem. It should have worked out better.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

It seems ridiculous he sold the game over this. Your friend would have been pissed with a lot of games I guess. Anyway, you should have called the distributor or JJP rather than e-mail. It is well-known that e-mail is not very successful with getting results with certain manufacturers unless you contact somebody directly like LTG.

#14 5 years ago

There was clearly a defective part but it happens. Seems like a bit of an over the top response when they didn't answer the email. I have had nothing but good service from JJP even though I live on the other side of the planet from them. I do usually call though as I can talk to someone and get the thing dealt with right away. Email is easy but phone is better.

Your friend sounds a bit too stressed out. He needs to relax a bit!

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

If it's a new game as you said then there should be replacement slingshot plastics in the goodie bag, no?

20 days ago I asked you about switching out the slingshot plastics for the extras that come with the machine. You never responded. See how that works?

#16 5 years ago

The Library plastic broke on my GB after 2k games. I don't even care...

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

20 days ago I asked you about switching out the slingshot plastics for the extras that come with the machine. You never responded. See how that works?

We did find a new one in the bag. Too late now because the machine is gone (sold). The Hobbit was side-by-side with a Stern Metallica at this location. The Metallica definitely out-earned the Hobbit by quite a bit. We've had good luck with Stern tech support when needed. My friend will probably buy an Iron Maiden with the money from the sale of the Hobbit.

#18 5 years ago

Just noticed this thread. I had both of my slingshot plastics break within a short time on location. I cut out a piece of Lexan and attached it to the underside of each broken plastic, put them back on the game and didn't have a problem with them after that. Kept the new slingshot plastics in the bag for the next guy.
Hobbit is long gone and I don't miss it a bit. Hard to believe this didn't show up somewhere during game testing.

#19 5 years ago

The Hobbit just wasn't a very fun game to play. It got boring after a while. The Metallica is still great fun to play again and again.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

The Hobbit just wasn't a very fun game to play. It got boring after a while. The Metallica is still great fun to play again and again.

Now you are changing the subject.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

We did find a new one in the bag. Too late now because the machine is gone (sold).

You sold the game but kept the goodie bag?

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Hobbit would of been the last on my list for a location game. Stern games usually out earn almost everything, which is why I have so many of them. The game can suck balls, but if the theme is liked and well known, it doesn't matter most of the time. I have a WOZ that did okay on location, just waiting on JJP to come out with a descent theme, hopefully with something easy for casual players to recognize and achieve. Love to get dialed in, not sure it'd be the smartest pick though. Think out of all the games that are currently out, star wars would probably have the best earning potential.

I agree with the above emailing for support is hit and miss. You have to call people if you have issues, especially with pinball for whatever reason.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from trilamb:

You sold the game but kept the goodie bag?

No, the goodie bag went with the machine.

#24 5 years ago

Whole post is kind of fishy. Your friend is an operator but needs you to contact JJP via email for a NIB Hobbit with broken plastics? Okaaayyyy...

If maybe one of you had just called JJP your quest would have been solved. They have helped me with tons of warranty and non-warranty issues over the phone.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

tons of warranty and non-warranty issues

That doesn't sound very encouraging.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

My friend will probably buy an Iron Maiden with the money from the sale of the Hobbit.

Good idea. You and your friend will probably need some help if a plastic breaks, tons (813 posts and counting) of great troubleshooting ideas in this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues

#27 5 years ago

Shit I am going to sell every pinball I own that a plastic has broken, a ball has got stuck or doesn't make as much money on site?

Seriously

#28 5 years ago

My friend has personally got 100 machines in his collection, plus operates some in his storefront (coin shop/rare coin dealer). If a machine isn't to his liking, he gets rid of it. I do the service work for him. This was my first time contacting Jersey Jack to let them know of a problem with the slingshot kicker assembly breaking the plastics. I decided to email them because I had pictures of the problem. I was completely ignored.

My friend does on occasion, purchase brand new machines (in cash).

#29 5 years ago

Not to speak for anyone else, but I suspect the annoyance here is not the broken plastic itself, but the total radio silence when they are presented with details about a clear QA issue which has caused that broken plastic. If nothing else, I would have expected a "Thanks for letting us know, we'll make sure this doesn't happen going forward."

We experienced the same when we informed JJP about the horrible quality of the soldering of through-hole components on the small Hobbit LCD screen. Thorough documentation, sent by email, and we got no response whatsoever. (We did get an upvote from LTG when we later shared our findings here on Pinside, so there's that.)

I expect a professional production company to have a decent quality management system in place. The feeling that well documented feedback of real issues goes into a black hole, does not instill much confidence.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

Not to speak for anyone else, but I suspect the annoyance here is not the broken plastic itself, but the total radio silence when they are presented with details about a clear QA issue which has caused that broken plastic. If nothing else, I would have expected a "Thanks for letting us know, we'll make sure this doesn't happen going forward."
We experienced the same when we informed JJP about the horrible quality of the soldering of through-hole components on the small Hobbit LCD screen. Thorough documentation, sent by email, and we got no response whatsoever. (We did get an upvote from LTG when we later shared our findings here on Pinside, so there's that.)
I expect a professional production company to have a decent quality management system in place. The feeling that well documented feedback of real issues goes into a black hole, does not instill much confidence.

Thank you for putting into words my feelings.

I feel like they don't care about actual "field" problems showing up and them failing to even acknowledge what I pointed out was a problem that should be looked into.

#31 5 years ago

well did you log a service ticket via support or just email them?

Emails could end up anywhere, support tickets have a ticket number

#32 5 years ago

I've only filled out 1 service ticket and they got back to me within 24 hours and saw my issue to its conclusion. Any other simple issue was solved by ltg in the hobbit thread.

#33 5 years ago

Yes, to be fair they have been good at handling things through the ticket system.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
Machine - For Sale
West Bloomfield Township, MI
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-broken-slingshot-plastics-already and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.