Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Rondogg
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Hobbit sling pivot (resized).jpg
Hobbit R sling repair (resized).JPG
Hobbit R sling closeup (resized).JPG
Hobbit L Sling repair (resized).JPG
Hobbit L sling notes (resized).JPG
Hobbit L sling closeup (resized).JPG

#1 6 days ago

A friend has a new Hobbit on location in his business and after about 200 games played on it, the left slingshot plastic has broken in half. After I removed the broken slingshot plastic (which had swiveled around and trapped the ball causing a service call), I noticed the entire slingshot arm and pivot bracket had a ton of slop in it. It looks like all the slop in the arm caused the arm to hammer the plastic and break it in half. A new machine should not have slingshot kicker arms wearing out after just 200 plays. Sometimes the kicker arm gets stuck in the fully extended position and a ball hops behind the rubber causing a service call.

Anyway, I went to the local Ace Hardware and bought two "J-Clips" (a.k.a. speed clips) and slipped one onto the broken left slingshot plastic and the other onto the UNbroken right slingshot plastic as a preventative measure. The repaired left slingshot plastic also got a drop of glue to help hold it together along with the metal clip. The clip does help to reinforce the broken area.

I emailed this problem (and pictures) to tech support at Jersey Jack OVER A WEEK AGO and never heard back, so I am posting the problem here.

Hobbit L Sling repair (resized).JPGHobbit L sling closeup (resized).JPGHobbit L sling notes (resized).JPGHobbit R sling closeup (resized).JPGHobbit R sling repair (resized).JPG

#2 6 days ago

It looks like the "Ax" would add more stress and likely more swing to the sling action.
Perhaps if the slot in the plastic were deeper the ax would not break the plastic however, a deeper slot would also make the plastic that much weaker.
Just thinking...

#3 6 days ago

Perhaps if the factory made their own stainless steel "clip" to put on the plastic, that would help. The kicker arm would then hit the clip instead of the plastic. Of course the real solution would be to make the slingshot kicker pivot and kicker arm itself out of tougher (higher quality) metal.

#4 6 days ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Perhaps if the factory made their own stainless steel "clip" to put on the plastic, that would help. The kicker arm would then hit the clip instead of the plastic. Of course the real solution would be to make the slingshot kicker pivot and kicker arm itself out of tougher (higher quality) metal.

I haven't seen this problem before.
I've got about 1000 games on my hobbit, plastics still look new.

I expect you'll hear from the JJP folks

#5 6 days ago

Did you check the slingshot mech itself to see where the slop is coming from? New games need adjustment to dial them in. Would be worth investigating.

#6 6 days ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

I expect you'll hear from the JJP folks

Nine days now since I contacted them and still not a peep from the factory.

#7 5 days ago

Is it possible to apply a coat of something to the bottom of the sling plastic to strengthen the plastic and decrease the chance of breaking?

#8 4 days ago

Here is the culprit causing the excessive slop in the slingshot arm. The post on the pivot bracket is loose as a goose due to poor crimping at the factory. The post flops around in a good 1/8" circle on the bracket. Looks like it was never properly pressed in and crimped. In the picture, you can see the gap and how loose it is. I replaced it with a Williams # A-17810 Slingshot Pivot Bracket which I had on hand. I keep those Williams brackets in stock because I encounter so many worn ones on Williams machines that come in for repair or restoration. The Williams part number is an EXACT replacement for the Jersey Jack part.

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2830

I think Jersey Jack owes us a new slingshot pivot bracket since this one was obviously defective. We deserve a new slingshot plastic too.

The Jersey Jack part number for the pivot bracket is 10-0043-00 for everyone's reference.

Hobbit sling pivot (resized).jpg

#9 4 days ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Here is the culprit causing the excessive slop in the slingshot arm. The post on the pivot bracket is loose as a goose due to poor crimping at the factory. The post flops around in a good 1/8" circle on the bracket. Looks like it was never properly pressed in and crimped. In the picture, you can see the gap and how loose it is. I replaced it with a Williams # A-17810 Slingshot Pivot Bracket which I had on hand. I keep those Williams brackets in stock because I encounter so many worn ones on Williams machines that come in for repair or restoration. The Williams part number is an EXACT replacement for the Jersey Jack part.
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2830
I think Jersey Jack owes us a new slingshot pivot bracket since this one was obviously defective. We deserve a new slingshot plastic too.

If it's a new game as you said then there should be replacement slingshot plastics in the goodie bag, no?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside