Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161206_150953_resized (resized).jpg
20161206_150933_resized (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Just got my NIB Hobbit earlier this week and it worked briefly, but now the ball won't kick out of the trough to start a game. I went into the coil test, and it looks like none of the "pink" coils (#33-40) work anymore. Does anybody know the best place to check for broken or loose wires? TIA.

#2 7 years ago

Start with checking fuses and solenoid voltages.

#3 7 years ago

Download manual here :

http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/support/

Page D-80 check fuse F708 and then F702 on the I/O board.

LTG : )

#4 7 years ago

Looks like F708 is toast (702 is OK). Guess I'll have to order some fuses. Is there anything I can do (coil settings?) to prevent it from blowing again once I replace it? Thanks!

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from boustrophedonic:

Is there anything I can do (coil settings?) to prevent it from blowing again once I replace it?

Only thing I'd check for is if you put in a new fuse and any coil locks on. Turn the game off immediately and check the transistor driving what ever locked on.

#6 7 years ago

Check for any loose wires or broken solder joints. Had a similar issue (balls not launching) and it was actually just a single broken solder connection on the coil itself.

Could be something totally different too but keep an eye out for anything loose!

#7 7 years ago

Make sure to get slo-blo GMA fuses. Reach out to LTG here or the JJP help desk on the JJP website, support portal and they will help.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

get slo-blo GMA fuses

I'm confused on this suggestion. It looks to me like GMA fuses are fast-blow. I ordered some slow-blow fuses since the manual said "time delay".

Hopefully they'll come later this week & I can see if something is locked on.

#9 7 years ago

Fuses came, installed, & nothing appeared locked on. I made it to ball 3 of a test game & the Radagast VUK wouldn't fire in multiball. Checked in coil test & the same set of coils are out. So beyond installing a new fuse, what else should I be looking for to debug this?

#10 7 years ago

So beyond installing a new fuse, what else should I be looking for to debug this?

Did you put in the right value fuse and a slow blow ( time delayed ) ?

Next I'd give every coil on that fuse a quick look to see if the wiring/coil lugs are close to metal or shorting to metal.

#11 7 years ago

I bought 5A slo-blows, which I think is right according to the manual. I'll check the coil lugs next, thanks.

#12 7 years ago

Nothing obvious on visual inspection. I was kind of curious if the coils are supposed to have diodes or not (or if it's coil-specific). The only reason I ask is because one of the pops does but the others don't.

#13 7 years ago

Here's the diode on the pop coils:

20161206_150933_resized (resized).jpg20161206_150933_resized (resized).jpg

Here's the only other coil I could see with an obvious diode as well:

20161206_150953_resized (resized).jpg20161206_150953_resized (resized).jpg

Is it safe to go snipping with my wire cutters?

#14 7 years ago

I was kind of curious if the coils are supposed to have diodes or not

No, they shouldn't. I'd cut the one off of the pop coil.

#15 7 years ago

Cut one and the fuse blew, then cut the other and fuse blew again. Done looking at it for the day but any ideas are appreciated.

#16 7 years ago

but any ideas are appreciated.

I'd open the coin door. Go into Tests - Coils - Manual, pull out the high power interlock switch to enable high power. And step through the coils one at a time and fire each one once. See if one in particular blows the fuse. Then you'd know which coil is bad.

#17 7 years ago

Coil 39 Windlance Kickback blew the fuse. Coil measures 4 Ohms for the kickback.

#18 7 years ago

Coil 39 Windlance Kickback blew the fuse

I'd try a new coil.

#19 7 years ago

Ok, new coil ordered...

#20 7 years ago

Got about an hour's worth of testing and so far, so good with the new coil. There's a little slit in the coil wrapper of the original coil with what looks like could be exposed wire, so it's looking pretty likely that this is the problem. I'll mark this as fixed for now. Thanks Lloyd for the troubleshooting assistance!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-ball-wont-kick-out-to-start-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.