• Latest reply 6 years ago by DrDQ
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

The two dealers I usually use only have black arrow in stock, any recommendations on reliable dealers that might have normal LE or SE?

-ben

#2 6 years ago

Ive been thinking of getting a Hobbit also. What are the differences in the versions or best place to learn about them?

Thanks

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickedbass:

Ive been thinking of getting a Hobbit also. What are the differences in the versions or best place to learn about them?
Thanks

I just looked at http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/
The differences aren't dramatic, it's the same game on all three versions, and from what i can tell the Limited Edition is not actually Limited. You are mostly paying for invisiglass, trim color, and in some cases dragon head color. The black arrow also has black balls in it and black flippers.

-ben

#4 6 years ago

There are tons of great deals in the secondhand market on The Hobbit. If you really want one, there are a lot of HUO games that look fantastic out there at a good price.

If you really want the NIB experience, KingPin Games, PinballSTAR, or even ordering direct are some of your quickest paths to finding whichever model you're after.

#5 6 years ago

Play one first and there tons for sale. I bought NIB and loved it for about 4 months, then it got very old very fast. It’s just pop up trolls like MM and multiball frenzy and after a while, it just wasn’t fun, plus if you are a good player, you will start to have hour long games every time and it’s not that exciting killing Smaug 2 times a game over and over. Just my honest opinion. Not a JJP hater at all, I have a WozLe and a deposit down for Pirates, but this is by far their worst pin.

#6 6 years ago

I loved that game, limited space forced me to sell it; would buy it again! We had it for about 8 months. It is a LOOONG game for sure - code updates have made it even better.

SmaugLE is certainly the best of the 3. But you can't really go wrong with any of them. Black Arrow is cool, but the Smaug one looks better, IMO. There are no gameplay differences at all

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

There are tons of great deals in the secondhand market on The Hobbit. If you really want one, there are a lot of HUO games that look fantastic out there at a good price.
If you really want the NIB experience, KingPin Games, PinballSTAR, or even ordering direct are some of your quickest paths to finding whichever model you're after.

Yeah I agree, I'd love to do that if a reasonable one would pop up near me, but I still want to see what the NIB shipped prices are. There is an amount I'm willing to overpay for a NIB, especially with how out of touch some of the hobbit sellers I've talked to around here are.

-ben

#8 6 years ago

Automated Services in CT usually has stock. However you can buy used for much less. I guess this game is hit or miss so be sure you play it a lot before you buy.

Set up is important 7 degree pitch for starters. Eliminate ball save, set tilt to tilt. Yes, games can be long but I think when I checked my audit average game less than 4 minutes, but many on this site are excellent players. Game is very unique, I can't think of anything like it, probably good to have with other games in collection.

I can tell you for me its probably my favorite pin and the one I play most. I have owned mine for over a year and its game I never plan on selling. I had a few games this morning and its was awesome. I have the LE.

Good luck.

#9 6 years ago

Can probably save 2-3 grand by picking up a HUO, lots to chose from.

#10 6 years ago

Automated usually has largest selection of jjp on hand. I've had good luck dealing with Mike. Ask for lowest price though, don't go off website price. LE was our preference due to all the characters on artwork. Really any choice is mostly cosmetic only with exception to a different attract mode on smaug edition. It's a great game. Get one.

#11 6 years ago

Definately buy HUO, save alot on a mint game, smaug has the nicest art and best colour powder coat IMO.

#12 6 years ago

Used market and you can always tweak it to make the game harder.

#13 6 years ago

Agree with the used market advice. Even at $6500, Smaug editions are taking a long time to sell.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Agree with the used market advice. Even at $6500, Smaug editions are taking a long time to sell.

Makes me sick to think I spent like 9 grand on mine
Don’t miss it though

#15 6 years ago

Buy a mint HUO and don't pay a dime more than $6,500.

#16 6 years ago

Hobbit is a great game, but a lot of people seem to think it plays too long. If you like the game grab one and don’t worry about what other people think. I got my Hobbit from Hemisphere Amusrments and they were great to deal with, good luck and happy hunting.

#17 6 years ago

It's a buyer's market for TH. Distributors know they have to lower their prices. Availability is not a problem.

If you want NIB, call and compare to see who will best accommodate you.

HUO is the way to go. Cheaper, and tweaks will already be done.

#18 6 years ago

For the Hobbit at the moment, it wouldn't be hard to find a HUO with very low plays on it and save yourself from losing $2,000 when you sell it again. I bought it NIB.

The LE IS a limited run of 1,500. Some people think that's not exclusive enough, but a finite number is in fact, limited.

Only differences are aesthetics and invisiglass. I personally prefer the LE over Smaug and Black Arrow.

As of a week ago PinballStar Amusements has Standard, LE and Black Arrow models in stock.

#19 6 years ago

If you haven’t already, maybe try posting over here and see if somebody local is willing to sell:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/az-whats-fsft/page/22#post-4167271

Even if you have to ship it, you could still save $1.5k with HUO over NIB (maybe more if JJP games don’t include free shipping).

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

(maybe more if JJP games don’t include free shipping).

Mine didn't...and I picked it up

#21 6 years ago

Smaug and Black Arrow are both SE's. JJP aren't making Smaug anymore but I believe some distributors still have them(?)

The standard is the only version that doesn't have the shaker motor and the Invisiglass.

Gameplay is the same for all versions, otherwise only cosmetic differences.

Smaug SE is the best looking of all the versions, IMHO.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Smaug and Black Arrow are both SE's. JJP aren't making Smaug anymore but I believe some distributors still have them(?)
The standard is the only version that doesn't have the shaker motor and the Invisiglass.
Gameplay is the same for all versions, otherwise only cosmetic differences.
Smaug SE is the best looking of all the versions, IMHO.

It's actually hard to find the Standard - Smaug and BALE are in stock all over the place

#23 6 years ago

I have a NIB Hobbit Smaug I could sell you for $7,500 shipped That's probably $1,000 less than what a dealer would offer.

#24 6 years ago

Awesome game, I think it gave some folks a bad first impression but as others have said, with the right setup it's a lot of fun, and great looking too.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Awesome game, I think it gave some folks a bad first impression but as others have said, with the right setup it's a lot of fun, and great looking too.

THe first batch of code wasn't stellar, but the game has rocketed up in its fun factor. I will own one again...

#26 6 years ago

Apparently they're out there...

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

You're fired ...

#28 6 years ago

Oh... oh no. No no no.

How do I re-hide the pic?

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

I just threw up in my mouth a bit.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

I have a NIB Hobbit Smaug I could sell you for $7,500 shipped That's probably $1,000 less than what a dealer would offer.

If you are looking for a Hobbit Smaug, you should really consider Butch2099’s NIB Smaug offer .
Bob is a great guy and he is well known and trusted in the pinball community.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 25.50
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-availability and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.