gamescreen.jpg
Playfield-design_2.jpg
elves.jpg
hobb2.jpg
hob13.jpg
hob7.jpg
Ori and Nori.jpg
Nori.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vongoosewink.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#181 9 years ago

I've got a Hobbit on order, so I definitely want to see this game a big success. I'm also a professional artist, so I'll throw in some (hopefully) constructive opinions, in case JJP's playfield designer is able and willing to make improvements at this point.

Quoted from Asael:

I think the size of Smaug should not be bigger. It's good as it is. The lonely Mountain is the key element to this playfield symbol. Smaug will be present as a big toy in the back. But here right in the middle of the playfield more important is the big target of the journey, the mountain, home for the dwarfs.

I completely agree with this. Making the dragon bigger would be a design mistake. The mountain section of the playfield is one section that really works; it is a nice representation of the overall quest and the dragon is a distant threat. When Smaug does appear, he will be a cool interactive toy, or a glorious multi-million dollar CGI monster ALIVE on the LCD screen. Let's have some confidence in the complete game design, people.

The Dwarf heads could and should be better, Aurich's earlier comments are right on the money. The disembodied heads look clumsy, real design work is needed to incorporate the heads into the layout in a uniform way that works with the theme. If the license allows, removing "The Dwarf" would be wise, but if that is something out of JJP's control then so be it. I also agree that making the names as uniform as possible is a good idea. Pinball playfields are chaotic, and the eye is overwhelmed with all of the images, text, lights, and toys. Please keep the fonts as uniform as possible, it will help to tie the disparate parts together and easier for the player to read.

Personally, I would remove the GIANT white orc at the bottom of the playfield. He looks out-of-place, and out-of-scale, and his presence lessens the impact of the mountain and the colossal dwarf statues. As with Smaug above, I'm sure the white orc is going to make regular appearances on the LCD screen when relevant to the game. The bottom of the playfield would be better served as the overall goal of the quest - the Lonely Mountain, with mysterious armies massing in the distance and the threat of the dragon looming over all. The orc is cluttering an otherwise well-done part of the thematic design. Without the orc it would have a simple, elegant symmetry, here is a rough idea of what I mean:

hob7.jpghob7.jpg

The L-O-C-K coins seem like unnecessary clutter, why not make these labeled lit inserts? They would look better as labeled inserts:

hob13.jpghob13.jpg

There are some bits of messy design work that really need cleaned up. For instance, below are the Fili and Kili heads decorating each of the ramp entrances. The problem is, each head/text is spaced differently: Fili is nicely sitting within the runic border, and Kili's text is on top of it. There is no need for stuff like this - it is probably an oversight, but the designer should follow his own rules. Both sides should be spaced in the same way, there is plenty of room:

hobb2.jpghobb2.jpg

Another element I would consider is altering some of the cut & paste elements so that they are in perspective with what is happening on the playfield. For instance, on the Fili/Kili ramp entrances, the scrolls would be better if they were in line with the sweep of the arrow-border. This way they are in harmony with the motion of the design; as they are now, they interrupt what should be a nice sweeping design element. Here is a rough example of what I mean:

hob4.jpghob4.jpg

That is one example above, but the perspective effect could also be used on Balin, Gandalf, Thorin, Bilbo, and Radigast's scrolls. The trapdoor scrolls look fine, as they seem to be lying flat on the playfield.

I hope these observations are seen as constructive by JJP. Overall, I think the playfield has great potential, but I feel some refinements would help to make it truly a work of art. I expect the artist was working against a tight deadline, and some of these little elements were overlooked in the rush to completion. Hopefully there is still the time and commitment to improve things.

#212 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I'm going to chime in on this. The lock inserts are roll overs. That would be the reason why the actual lock letters are not written on what u are calling inserts. Doing custom roll overs just jacks up the bom even more. When does the bleeding end on spending? We want more and more, it's just not always going to happen. So anyway I'm guessing the lock roll overs will be gold or brown I hope. I've only ever seen red in Wms games.

OK, if that's true then the offset coin-labels make sense. I was under the impression they were just lights - thanks for clarifying.

#263 9 years ago

Post edited by Vongoosewink: speculating - post deleted - I crossed the line of politeness, my apologies

#270 9 years ago
Quoted from TheDude75:

As the artist I can thank some people (like you) for their constructive feedback, but all you do now is speculate on the rules which you don't know at this point...
Do you really think I ignore the designer or the programmer while we develop this game as a team?

My apologies, guys. My last post crossed the line of good behavior.

Please do not take offense at my comments, and thank you for taking the time to comment on the thread.

#315 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Feel free to thumb me down all you want, but I think this was poorly executed. I instantly spotted a number of problems. I've got a graphic design background, so I'm used to harsh critique of my own work and I do the same for others, and it almost always ends up positive in the end as long as you can accept criticism.
First, all the negative space in the center and all the clutter everywhere else makes no sense. The balance is poor. The floating heads look decapitated. They could have at least kept some sort of upper torso area and framed them going toward the targets. I understand it is a small area to work with, but this was a poor decision.
Secondly, Typography. I know they wanted to keep with the styling of the movie, but it is damn near illegible in most areas, especially with the (gasp!) color gradients going through them... Ugly as sin.
Areas where they did well were the arrow shaped designs and incorporation of the map, the little triangle shapes bordered with bones, etc. More of that, less of the fading gradients and the photoshop blending would have been gorgeous. They could have separated sections with these type of borders instead of doing gradient fades.
I feel bad if they were forced to do it this way. They obviously aren't poor designers in house there, judging from WoZ.

Word on the street is that they are working on some improvements, based on some of the feedback so far. The designer was probably up against the clock with this first version, I'm pretty confident that his next revision will bring it all together.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 25.50
Flipper Parts
FlipMods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vongoosewink.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-artwork-revealed?tu=vongoosewink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.