gamescreen.jpg
Playfield-design_2.jpg
elves.jpg
hobb2.jpg
hob13.jpg
hob7.jpg
Ori and Nori.jpg
Nori.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_keefer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from Troutfarm:

Point being, even with the assets they were given this could have been pulled off way better.

To someone like me (and most others here) who are not artists, can you be more specific? Despite your contemptuous assertion that it was not professionally done (I guess the WOZ video assets are not professional either? please advise), I happen to like it a lot. But, I also have a much different perspective than you because I know what assets there are and aren't and what we are allowed to do to said assets (ProTip: NOTHING). All you've given an example of is "something should've been done with wood."

I'm genuinely curious what you think of a playfield like ST, also.

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from Troutfarm:

I just dont feel like its being done justice with a half assed photoshop job. It makes it seem cheap, and I am sure that is not what you are going for, and definitely not what people are paying for.

Thanks for chiming back in with a couple of examples. I guess I understand the LOCK complaint, but we can't change the other stuff you pointed out, so that one's out the window. Again, I'm not an artist. Think about this though (and this isn't just to you): If you say something sucks without saying why, then you could be a sandwich artist or you could be frickin' Michelangelo, and in either case I look at your statements exactly the same: useless whining.

Oh and don't take that as a criticism or trying to stifle your opinions. You're welcome to say and feel and think whatever you want, what the hell do I care? Think of it as an education as how you look to others.

Quoted from Aurich:

This is a forum where we discuss our feelings about stuff and I'm being honest that as a Photoshop jockey myself this is not very good.

Mostly addressed this already above... It doesn't matter what you are if you can't (or don't want to) explain why.

Look at it this way... You have a GOLDEN opportunity to engage with someone who's pretty intimate with the project (and is WILLING to engage you!!), something that almost never happens in this industry, and you want to take the theft of services angle. That's fine if that's how you look at it, I can respect that. But if you want to engage, then this is your opportunity. Otherwise it's just noise and I'm wasting my time.

I'll give a quick analogy. A couple years ago I would rail against Stern's product publicly. But every time I said something negative, I explained exactly why with very specific reasons and examples. And look at it this way: Everyone probably eventually got new Transformers software thanks to the storm I started. ;P

#119 9 years ago
Quoted from Troutfarm:

ok so me taking less than 5 minutes to make your clipart frames into something that maybe people wont be able to immediately spot as the exact same frame is not an option? I call bullshit.

Oh, so you have extensive knowledge of working with licensed materials, submitting for approvals, waiting up to 2 weeks for various levels of approval (WB initial, then Wingnut (I think they're called)), and then hoping they don't notice you changed the stuff you're not supposed to change because otherwise it costs you time to go back and put it the way it was before and REsubmit it and wait another 2 weeks? Most businesses do not have the luxury of taking chances and jeopardizing relationships with others they do business with and wasting weeks of time going into production, but that's awesome that you do. I envy you, sir.

Quoted from Troutfarm:

and you should think of this of an education as how you are not raising the bar on pinball design.

I think you mean art and not design. So we're done here then, right? k

Quoted from Aurich:

So let's just take an example of an area to keep things simple for now, because I don't have the time now to really delve into this.

I appreciate you taking the time to do this. I get what you're saying about the head backgrounds and what not. To my eye, to some extent they are already "anchored" being attached to the inserts, but IANAA, etc.

And unfortunately I don't want to say you completely wasted all your time railing against the Dwarf text, but all of that stuff is straight out of the style guide and unchangeable, so, yeah, you kinda did. Right down to the fact that Thorin gets a last name and the others do not (so does Bilbo and some other certain characters - or other qualifiers if not last names). I do appreciate you taking the time to explain yourself, though.

#130 9 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

So, Keith, are you saying that dwarf heads couldn't be anchored inside a circle and the text inconsistencies can not be fixed (because that would be really cool)? Or are you just saying that the words "the dwarf" have to be there?

I'm saying the font and "the dwarf" have to be the way they are. I don't know about the heads tbh.

Quoted from lowepg:

Way to serve the snarky poster a double-decker STFU-sandwich

Snark begets snark. Besides, I'm sorry, but seeking permission from estates while I'm sure is annoying, is not anywhere close to dealing with established style guides and 2 corporate entities that are very particular. If anything, he should've said "yeah, working at Disney, I know how much we force people to stick to style guides; you're right, you couldn't change that stuff, sorry."

#139 9 years ago
Quoted from Troutfarm:

you think getting approval from Yoko about how a CG John looks is not particular.. hahahhah. you have no idea what particular is.

Then you're contradicting yourself WRT changing the wood frame things.

lolk. Your post has no basis in reality.

#148 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I would be very surprised to find out that the way that text is rendered is out of the style guide, though I totally believe that having to include the dwarf text and Thorin getting a last name are.

Sunfox kind of beat me with a few examples, but I did finally find this with everything conveniently in the same place: http://www.tshirtroundup.com/blog/the-hobbit-roundup At least the first half of those are right out of the style guide. If I could just post the style guide, I would.

Quoted from Troutfarm:

I'm done. Good luck finishing.

No hard feelings.

#186 9 years ago

Constructive criticism is good. I don't believe I've said anything other than "thanks I appreciate it" to it when provided and it was usable. A lot of you probably aren't used to style guides and how much of a bible those things are.

WRT Nori and Ori, that was in fact a good catch. I'm surprised that none of us noticed it, and I'm even MORE surprised that WB hasn't noticed it. It's amazing the things they'll pick up on, but then to miss that is just astounding.

As to how it happened, well, JP inherited the playfield from another artist that we parted ways with, mostly because of how the playfield looked. If I want to see your guys' heads explode, I'll post one of those pictures someday. I personally can only identify about 7 or 8 dwarves just based on their picture, but it may have just gone up by 2.

#208 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Doing custom roll overs just jacks up the bom even more.

Actually it's pretty easy to decal rollovers. The problem is they are free to rotate, so putting letters on them is a useless endeavor.

Quoted from lllvjr:

So anyway I'm guessing the lock roll overs will be gold or brown I hope. I've only ever seen red in Wms games.

Well they'll be clear like on WOZ so they can be rgb-lit.

#242 9 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

LOCK art not on the inserts is a joke and looks terrible

They're rollovers, as mentioned several times in this thread.

#271 9 years ago
Quoted from Vongoosewink:

It seems like the artist has ignored the intention of the game designer, and renamed all of the targets after the 13 dwarves just to get all of them represented on the playfield. If you look at the playfield and the screen, this was clearly not the game designers intention:

Sorry but you are completely wrong here. The art is doing exactly what I wanted it to do. There is no miscommunication there is no ignoring.

I get commenting on various technical issues of design and what not, and some changes have in fact been made already. However, now you're going into contexts which you do not understand (and how could you understand it since we have not disclosed anything in that regard).

I'm not going to go into it right now, either, sorry. Either I'm full of crap and an idiot gameplay designer, or things will work out just fine and won't be that confusing. That's probably an even-money bet. But everything is conveyed properly as far as I'm concerned.

#324 9 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

PEOPLE: An Email from Doug Watson

...and who's done all the art for the past x games, be it JJP or Stern? Greg Freres, Kevin O'Connor, John Youssi, Jerry Vandersteldt (not as storied as the others but has games under his belt)...

Fact is, licensing has changed a lot in the last 20 years. Guess I'd be interested to see what he can get away with in a modern licensed game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_keefer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-artwork-revealed?tu=pinball_keefer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.