gamescreen.jpg
Playfield-design_2.jpg
elves.jpg
hobb2.jpg
hob13.jpg
hob7.jpg
Ori and Nori.jpg
Nori.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 9 years ago

First reactions:

I'm a huge JJP fan but even I'm a little bummed right now looking at the artwork. I thought that the lower playfield artwork would contain more of the Shire and get "darker" (location wise) as you moved up the playfield or be split down the middle with good and evil like WOZ. Having the mountain artwork near the top of the playfield would have have been a better fit with Smaug in my opinion. The playfield artwork for WOZ just pops and is one of the best in pinball in my opinion but this leaves a lot to be desired after my first look.

The first Hobbit film can at times give off a relaxing vibe (idk how else to say it haha, think Fellowship of the Ring) with scenes of the Shire yet little of that is represented here. Charm is the word I'm looking for when I think about it.

Second look reactions:

The artwork is growing on me a bit and does look cool after I've looked at it for a while. I can see why some the design choices were made and the look fits well with the theme. To be fair we still need to see the game with all of its toys / features to judge it properly. WOZ's playfield artwork doesn't look nearly as impressive without its toys shown. Once I start thinking of TH with its character pop up toys, stainless steel ramps and metal rails I think the game is going to look amazing.

1 week later
#328 9 years ago

Sorry Aurich but saying The Hobbit is a rehash for Keith is not cool. TH layout doesn't even resemble LOTR's at all and will play completely different. If you want to talk rehashes then just look at Sterns new Star Trek layout which is a stripped down version of the STTNG layout.

Its also your opinion that The Hobbit films are not very good. Many people would disagree with you and the nearly $2 billion in ticket sales for the first two films is proof of that. As a huge fan of the LOTR and TH books I think Peter Jackson has done an amazing job of representing the world of Middle Earth on the big screen...if he didn't Return of the King wouldn't have won 11 Oscars. If I there's one bad thing I had to say about the TH films its that I dislike the 48fps versions which just look and "feel" terrible to traditional 24 fps films in my opinion.

#336 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Well sorry but it is, so deal with it? Am I suggesting he's going to rip off his own rules? Of course not. Gonna be a whole new game I'm sure. But Keith did LOTR, and how he's doing Hobbit. It's a rehash. Same movies, same director, bunch of same actors. JJP picked a less than original theme for their second game, and that's all there is to it. The art for it isn't amazing, but the art for Stern's LOTR sucked, so whatever, obviously people still love the game. Hobbit can still be great, if nothing else I have faith in Keith. In fact he's the only part of JJP I have any faith in at all.
Not only was the LOTR art bad, but Stern's print job on it makes supermarket cereal boxes look like giclee prints in comparison, and the WOZ playfield makes it clear that JJP can screen properly, so in that sense it's already ahead of the game. Cabinet will be the same upgrade I'm sure, LOTR cab printing was that shit direct screen stuff that looks so awful.
Also, to be clear I thought the LOTR movies were awesome, bought all the extended DVDs and rebought them again on Blu-ray later. Big fan. Too bad Jackson disappeared up his own ass after them, because the Hobbit films are overwrought and not particularly good. Which is a damn shame. If Guillermo del Toro had done them as two films as planned we'd have seriously superior movies to enjoy.

Hmmm, so all of those dwarves from TH are in LOTR as well? Smaug is there in the Fellowship of the Ring right? The plot lines for both trilogies are entirely different. Sorry not a rehash by any means.

#365 9 years ago

I think it may be a while before we hear anything regarding another Hobbit update. The good news is that the first game should hopefully be shipping in 6 months.

I wonder how long we will have to wait to see the Smaug toy? I can see JJP saving that reveal for Expo.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-artwork-revealed?tu=panzerfreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.