gamescreen.jpg
Playfield-design_2.jpg
elves.jpg
hobb2.jpg
hob13.jpg
hob7.jpg
Ori and Nori.jpg
Nori.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lllvjr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's a bit odd that one of Jack's mission statements was to do original, hand drawn playfield artwork since Stern only used Photoshopped licensor assets....and now they're using Photoshopped licensor assets while Stern is doing hand drawn games like Metallica.
Looking at this bare art, we can criticize it all day long - but I'm sure like Stern's Photoshopped playfields like AC/DC, Tron, etc - once they're "alive" with the game's lighting, shadows, toys and light shows - it'll look cool in person.

Mustang play field? Gimme a break

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from PinPeet:

Putting things in perspective… I like it a lot!

hobbit3.jpg 347 KB

Nicely done!

#137 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Well I didn't say anything about Mustang lol....but when I first saw the reveals of Tron and AC/DC I was like "bleh" ...but I *LOVE* how they look in person when lit. So - while Hobbit's art is squarely in the Stern camp of flawed art...I don't want to judge it too harshly cuz it could look pleasing when all together and lit up.

Ur all right in my book!

#171 9 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

So r u, my friend!

716746.jpg 14 KB

Lol

#205 9 years ago
Quoted from Vongoosewink:

I've got a Hobbit on order, so I definitely want to see this game a big success. I'm also a professional artist, so I'll throw in some (hopefully) constructive opinions, in case JJP's playfield designer is able and willing to make improvements at this point.

I completely agree with this. Making the dragon bigger would be a design mistake. The mountain section of the playfield is one section that really works; it is a nice representation of the overall quest and the dragon is a distant threat. When Smaug does appear, he will be a cool interactive toy, or a glorious multi-million dollar CGI monster ALIVE on the LCD screen. Let's have some confidence in the complete game design, people.
The Dwarf heads could and should be better, Aurich's earlier comments are right on the money. The disembodied heads look clumsy, real design work is needed to incorporate the heads into the layout in a uniform way that works with the theme. If the license allows, removing "The Dwarf" would be wise, but if that is something out of JJP's control then so be it. I also agree that making the names as uniform as possible is a good idea. Pinball playfields are chaotic, and the eye is overwhelmed with all of the images, text, lights, and toys. Please keep the fonts as uniform as possible, it will help to tie the disparate parts together and easier for the player to read.
Personally, I would remove the GIANT white orc at the bottom of the playfield. He looks out-of-place, and out-of-scale, and his presence lessens the impact of the mountain and the colossal dwarf statues. As with Smaug above, I'm sure the white orc is going to make regular appearances on the LCD screen when relevant to the game. The bottom of the playfield would be better served as the overall goal of the quest - the Lonely Mountain, with mysterious armies massing in the distance and the threat of the dragon looming over all. The orc cluttering an otherwise well-done part of the thematic design. Without the orc it would have a beautiful symmetry, here is a rough idea of what I mean:

The L-O-C-K coins seem like unnecessary clutter, why not make these labeled lit inserts? They would look better as labeled inserts:

There are some bits of messy design work that really need cleaned up. For instance, below are the Fili and Kili heads decorating each of the ramp entrances. The problem is, each head/text is spaced differently: Fili is nicely sitting within the runic border, and Kili's text is on top of it. There is no need for stuff like this - it is probably an oversight, but the designer should follow his own rules. Both sides should be spaced in the same way, there is plenty of room:

Another element I would consider is altering some of the cut & paste elements so that they are in perspective with what is happening on the playfield. For instance, on the Fili/Kili ramp entrances, the scrolls would be better if they were in line with the sweep of the arrow-border. This way they are in harmony with the motion of the design; as they are now, they interrupt what should be a nice sweeping design element. Here is a rough example of what I mean:

I hope these observations are seen as constructive by JJP. Overall, I think the playfield has great potential, but I feel some refinements would help to make it truly a work of art. I expect the artist was working against a tight deadline, and some of these little elements were overlooked in the rush to completion. Hopefully there is still the time and commitment to improve things.

hob2.jpg 9 KB

hob4.jpg 28 KB

hob7.jpg 59 KB

hob13.jpg 61 KB

I'm going to chime in on this. The lock inserts are roll overs. That would be the reason why the actual lock letters are not written on what u are calling inserts. Doing custom roll overs just jacks up the bom even more. When does the bleeding end on spending? We want more and more, it's just not always going to happen. So anyway I'm guessing the lock roll overs will be gold or brown I hope. I've only ever seen red in Wms games.

#209 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Actually it's pretty easy to decal rollovers. The problem is they are free to rotate, so putting letters on them is a useless endeavor.

Well they'll be clear like on WOZ so they can be rgb-lit.

Doh, yes clear I forgot they get lit

#300 9 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

You can have it be round and still index the top of it. A keyway slot would do just that. Should have been done like that in the first place probably, but now you have what you have. A circular rollover that is indexed would allow for a decal on top and then the space where the decal's image used to be is freed up.

Or u can just eliminate it from the game, cost u nothing and do a phantom lock into some drop targets... Easier to not reinvent the wheel.

#303 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

They're rollovers in the middle of the playfield, it's a pretty obvious design decision, suggesting that they change it (with what, drop targets?) just because the art runs into the dragon wings in a little bit of a awkward manner seems somewhat extreme.

I meant lose them and make some of the many drop targets or targets behind the drop targets lock targets.. Turn the four lock letters to led inserts and move them up... That would be cheaper and easier then redesigning them when the game is due in 6 months or less.... The real solution is shrink the dragon a fraction more in size and the wings don't touch the lock letters

#304 9 years ago

Don't be shocked if nothing happens and it stays as is since its approved. Missed dwarf name or not.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lllvjr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-artwork-revealed?tu=lllvjr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.