gamescreen.jpg
Playfield-design_2.jpg
elves.jpg
hobb2.jpg
hob13.jpg
hob7.jpg
Ori and Nori.jpg
Nori.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider heckheck.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#100 9 years ago

I'm OK with most of it. I'm fine with the fact that it uses Photoshop elements (and pleased that it mostly matches the style and tone of LOTR). I understand the need for the floating heads (though I certainly don't love them at all). I would have liked a bit more keyline art like LOTR has (for example the arrow key line art on LOTR that pass through several inserts pointing at the main shots).

In the spirit of constructive criticism, here are a few things that bother me, and some suggestions.

Each of the dwarf names have 'The Dwarf' tacked on to the end in small font with varying font tracking applied to stretch or compress it. That they are dwarves seems redundant, is this text really needed? I hope the license isn't forcing that there. Thankfully with Bilbo it doesn't say 'The Hobbit' or Gandalf 'The Wizard'. That the 'The Dwarf' text varies in tracking (spacing) is not pleasing from a visual perspective. It looks bad. The names would be much more striking/clean without the extra text.

I find the 'L' 'O' 'C' 'K' coin text to be an unneeded cluttering element. As already stated it screws up the art of the dragon's wings. The LCD screen would a much more natural place to explain the significance of these rollovers with a graphic that periodically shows the rollovers and explains they are for qualifying a lock. Sometimes it's OK to let an element explain itself, I don't think people will be confused enough NOT to play the game if these aren't labeled.

I don't understand the what looks like chunks of ice up in the barrel chase area. Maybe it could be changed for something a little more visually appealing and relevant?

Certainly it would be nice to have variability in the cut/paste elements like the trap door frames as has been mentioned already.

Not sure I'm in love with having the dragon pictured at small scale in the center of the field. As stated the dragon is already going to be prominently featured as an animatronic in the upper left. It seems a more powerful statement would have just to have gone with the lonely mountain in the middle, but maybe that would be too plain an area then.

-Jim

#165 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Sunfox kind of beat me with a few examples, but I did finally find this with everything conveniently in the same place: http://www.tshirtroundup.com/blog/the-hobbit-roundup At least the first half of those are right out of the style guide. If I could just post the style guide, I would.

Those shirts look more or less fine one at a time with 'The Dwarf' text spaced out in random ways. Put all those 'direct from the style guide' renderings next to each other on a playfield and the text spacing becomes a disaster. That is clearly a place where the style guide should have been challenged. Present both renderings to the studio, with the text all messed up, but exact to the style guide and with the text spacing fixed (or even missing) and beg them to approve the latter. Only a moron on the studio side would say "stick to the guide even though it looks stupid".

It's all about the execution in what you put up for consideration. Do double work and put up a risky but better design and a safe one and lobby hard for the better one, but I guess that ship has sailed.

Bottom line. I'm a customer, I have a Hobbit on order, so I feel a bit entitled to a little armchair quarterbacking and critiquing. Sorry if it comes off harsh.

#178 9 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

He noticed it just glancing at the art too! He has a crazy eye for detail, and is WAY in to the Hobbit.

Great catch to MapleSyrup (well his 14 year old son) on Ori and Nori being switched!!!! That at least MUST be fixed. So if they have to regain approval, might as well try to fix a few more things while they are at it.

#231 9 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Yes, this is truly a great thread. If JJP incorporates these tweaks into the final product, it will be an excellent playfield. My favourite ideas so far:

*Improve the design of the lock coins somehow (anyone have further suggestions for this?)
Keep the tweaks coming people and, JJP, please remain open to these suggestions.

Remove the lock coin images altogether they are just visual clutter and certainly not required by the style guide. Instead have an informative graphic on the LCD to indicate their function (maybe as rotating status if you hold in a flipper button, a standard pinball convention). It's fine to have stuff like this to help newbies but put it all on the LCD and make an option to suppress it so in home use we don't need it in our faces or cluttering up the art.

#247 9 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

2. The subway from has now an extra way to the Smaug VUK? Would the subway get a diverter or will the ball choose it's own way?

There's a diverter down there. The drawing I saw at the factory last fall had a solenoid down there with a plunger that extended into the subway to block the path to the right and divert the ball to the left VUK. There's a strong possibility the diverter will be under player control (at least at certain times).

#309 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I meant lose them and make some of the many drop targets or targets behind the drop targets lock targets.. Turn the four lock letters to led inserts and move them up... That would be cheaper and easier then redesigning them when the game is due in 6 months or less.... The real solution is shrink the dragon a fraction more in size and the wings don't touch the lock letters

The real solution is keep the rollovers (even though I'm not a huge fan of rollovers) and ditch the coin graphics in favor of calling out the lock function on the LCD. One visual every so often showing the configuration of four rollovers and 'LOCK' in graphics on the LCD will tell any player their function.

It's not like it's a big mystery anyway as I'm sure they will light up when collected (maybe even green, the traditional lock color). Super casual players will be hitting them without even knowing it anyway and so won't need to know they are lock rollovers as they will qualify the lock without even trying hard.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider heckheck.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-artwork-revealed?tu=heckheck and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.