gamescreen.jpg
Playfield-design_2.jpg
elves.jpg
hobb2.jpg
hob13.jpg
hob7.jpg
Ori and Nori.jpg
Nori.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Retropin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#161 9 years ago

Why release pictures of PF artwork and then not like the fact that its being criticised?..Dont release snippets of artwork then and we don't get to scrutinise it... yep, the fonts are all out of whack and amateur in their execution and no - it doesn't do an epic of a movie(s) justice.
The films are awesome.. the game has the capability to be the same and if you take on this title then you must do it justice. Instead its gone down the road of Stern's.. " I start with this.. then add this... duplicate and paste here.. fill this area with..er... something.. plonk that on top and if you squint your eyes, it looks half decent - job done!"

In all honesty ( and this is the first time ive opened this thread).. I could have told you it would look like that Gary.. ooops sorry... I meant Jack

#166 9 years ago
Quoted from heckheck:

Those shirts look more or less fine one at a time with 'The Dwarf' text spaced out in random ways. Put all those 'direct from the style guide' renderings next to each other on a playfield and the text spacing becomes a disaster. That is clearly a place where the style guide should have been challenged. Present both renderings to the studio, with the text all messed up, but exact to the style guide and with the text spacing fixed (or even missing) and beg them to approve the latter. Only a moron on the studio side would say "stick to the guide even though it looks stupid".
It's all about the execution in what you put up for consideration. Do double work and put up a risky but better design and a safe one and lobby hard for the better one, but I guess that ship has sailed.
Bottom line. I'm a customer, I have a Hobbit on order, so I feel a bit entitled to a little armchair quarterbacking and critiquing. Sorry if it comes off harsh.

Not harsh and you are entitled to your opinion as are we all.. after all it is posted on a public forum. Its a problem any manufacturer will have when they are prepared to release parts of a design as the game ticks along. You can look at a lot of stripped playfields and see components that you either like or dislike. when the game is fully assembled though, hopefully everything ties in and you see the game in its entirety as a complete package. The move to photoshopped art is by and large not well received by pinball owners and yet the main manufacturers keep churning it out... its a tired concept as its all starting to look the same, after all, with all that technology that allows great shading and realistic art, it is by and large limited in its results. JJP digs its own hole here as we were promised the next step forward in pinball.. instead we see them adopting the Stern approach of cut and paste. Metallica is overwhelmingly well received due to its hand drawn art, but I strongly suspect that this is not a choice Stern made, more of a stipulation by Metallica to use their mate Dirty Donnie for the art if they were to get licence.
In all honesty, I don't know why companies release snapshots of the next upcoming title.. Its a recent development and I think it chips away from the anticipation and excitement of seeing the latest release. You will never please everyone... once you release the name of the next title we all start to have an image in our heads of what this game may look like and do... of course, its never the same image. I do feel though that the bottom line is that we would all like to see a bit more imagination when it comes to an art package on a pinball... it is at the end of the day the very first thing that will entice someone to take a closer look and play.. that has always been the sole purpose of pinball art

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 25.50
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Retropin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-artwork-revealed?tu=Retropin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.