(Topic ID: 73563)

Hobbit Artwork - NEW - What do you think ??

By PinballSTAR

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 121 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Noface
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
The_Hobbit_-_The_Desolation_of_Smaug_-_poster_HD.jpg
the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-poster-2.jpg
the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-poster2-600x294.jpg
the-desolation-of-smaug-poster.jpg
The_Hobbit-_The_Desolation_of_Smaug_poster.jpg
The_hobbit_desolation_of_smaug_poster_banner_by_umbridge1986-d5f8rey.jpg
desolation-of-smaug-poster07.jpg
hr_The_Hobbit-_The_Desolation_of_Smaug_987.jpg
seven-new-character-posters-for-the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-147824-a-1383549288-470-75.jpg
Hob.jpg
image-371.jpg
Smaug.gif
hobbitcabinetright.jpg
hobbitcabinetheadright.jpg
hobbitcabinetheadleft.jpg
There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 10 years ago

New Hobbit artwork for cabinet relased by JJP today. Very impressive - very well done...

More Hobbit info to come about the Playfield in a little while per JJP email..

Enjoy - Call me if you want one ! Pricing is $ 8,000 on the Limited Edition version - payment plans available.

Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements
Authorized Jersey Jack Pinball Distributor
[email protected]
570-357-0042

hobbitbg.jpghobbitbg.jpg hobbitcabinetcoin.jpghobbitcabinetcoin.jpg hobbitcabinetheadleft.jpghobbitcabinetheadleft.jpg hobbitcabinetheadright.jpghobbitcabinetheadright.jpg hobbitcabinetleft.jpghobbitcabinetleft.jpg hobbitcabinetright.jpghobbitcabinetright.jpg
#2 10 years ago

Awesome!

#3 10 years ago

looks very nice

#4 10 years ago

Looks sharp...but no Smaug?

#5 10 years ago

Isn't this like the 3rd time JJP released cabinet art of the Hobbit?

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

More Hobbit info to come about the Playfield in a little while per JJP email

What does "a little while" mean? To me that connotes a few hours. JJP's email today said playfield progress would be shown in the next few weeks -- certainly a lot longer than "a little while."

#7 10 years ago

Yes as per JJP email - Playfield progress to be released over next few weeks...

#8 10 years ago

Thanks for clarifying Joe - I was just hoping something other than cabinet art would be released today!

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Isn't this like the 3rd time JJP released cabinet art of the Hobbit?

Nope. It changed and it was originally only one side. Nothing more than a mockup originally.

#10 10 years ago

That looks freaking awesome!

#11 10 years ago

I've only seen the first movie, so forgive me if this is a spoiler but is the Pale Orc leading the good guys into battle? That's what it appears that he's doing on the cabinet side art. Other than that it looks pretty good.-better than the original artwork anyway... Still would have preferred more of a landscape panorama (like in LOTR). -Maybe the Shire on one side and an epic battle scene on the other. It also would have been nice to see Smaug depicted. It's still pretty good art considering this is a commercial amusement device.

#12 10 years ago

I like! The head art with them wielding their swords is cool.

#13 10 years ago

The cabinet looks slick

#14 10 years ago

Backglass art is better than the backglass art on WoZ

#15 10 years ago

My thoughts:

I like the backbox side art, very nice, clean and simple.

The game front also looks good, they have done well with the space available.

I think the left side is good, but I think they could have left it with just the one scene of the dwarf line-up rather than splicing in the goblin king and the stuff down the bottom.

Personally, I don't like the right side, I think the Orc guy is ugly (I know he's supposed to be), I would rather see a different (and preferably one complete) scene here. The dragon would be nice.

I also think the backglass art is too cluttered, I would rather a more simple backglass like the WOZ to contrast with the LCD.

All my opinion only, and I know you can't please everyone but that's my feedback. Great to see the effort they are putting in.

#16 10 years ago

I think it looks great but it also reinforces how much I miss the variety and fun and unlicensed theme can bring. There are no expectations on how things "should be" on unlicensed. I totally agree - it's missing smaug. See what I mean. Sorry. Don't want to hijack. Just waxing poetic. Looking forward to this game.

#17 10 years ago

Looks cool, but....................... Needs more SMAUG!

Smaug.gifSmaug.gif
#18 10 years ago

I like elements, but I don't think it is a home run. The backbox sides look nice, but the right side is aweful and the lack of Smaug is a big deal. Hopefully there are more changes, but who knows. Fortunately you don't play the cabinet art.

#19 10 years ago

I hoping for no penis on the backglass on the LE version

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Nope. It changed and it was originally only one side. Nothing more than a mockup originally.

Lol, so that was just another JJP preorder shannanigan. Can't say Gary's any better either though. Oh well.

Anyway the art looks kickass & a theme like this is something that belongs in my F'n gameroom!

Once it's tangible & in stock with finished code of course

Get r dun JJP

Then onto Stooges (wink)

#21 10 years ago

Jack's email said "latest cabinet and backglass artwork", which implies this isn't the final art.

#22 10 years ago

Looks fine but just like WOZ - it looks like a Stern art package. Not saying that's a bad thing, but JJP's whole pitch originally was "hand drawn" art.

#23 10 years ago

Looks nice. Kinda weird though that its just everyone standing around.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Looks fine but just like WOZ - it looks like a Stern art package. Not saying that's a bad thing, but JJP's whole pitch originally was "hand drawn" art.

Looks much better then a Stern in my opinion due to having unique artwork on both sides of the cabinet...Stern should take note. Unique cab artwork should be on a $8k LE.

#25 10 years ago

I like it.

And I saw the second movie last night and liked it a whole lot better than the first movie.

Looking forward to the third movie and game now.

LTG : )

#26 10 years ago

That's DAMN nice!! I can only imagine what it'll look like when "the cabinet" guy gets done with it.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Looks much better then a Stern in my opinion due to having unique artwork on both sides of the cabinet...Stern should take note. Unique cab artwork should be on a $8k LE.

X-Men had unique art on each side. Aesthetically - it's not much different than what you generally see on a Stern. Photorealistic-style - that's all I'm sayin.

#28 10 years ago

One more
image-371.jpgimage-371.jpg

#29 10 years ago

I'm torn on this one, I've starting warming up to the theme and I'm really thinking of pulling the trigger on this one to go with my WOZECLE but still thinking I should wait awhile and either get one if people sell their spot or just wait for a HUO to pop up in the future. But really liking the artwork.

#30 10 years ago

"Motion Picture Trilogy" everywhere kinda drives me nuts.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Probably the license holder gave them a disc with the clip art they were allowed to use, just like Stern.

Any hand drawn art would require a much more complex approval process - we all know what happened with Demolition Man....

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

is the Pale Orc leading the good guys into battle?

That's a slight change from the book, but I've got to admit, I'd want him leading me into battle too.

#33 10 years ago

Ahhhh, I think he's just looking to surprise us with some Smaug! No way he would be left outta there....

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

"Motion Picture Trilogy" everywhere kinda drives me nuts.

Mandated...

#35 10 years ago

Isnt the 3rd hobbit out in theaters now? When does JJ plan on releasing this game? Mid 2014 I thought I read somewhere.

#37 10 years ago

Looking good so far with version 1 and 2.
My money and common sense is on that this isn't the Final version.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Looking good so far with version 1 and 2.
My money and common sense is on that this isn't the Final version.

I on the other hand will be surprised to see it change. I might not agree with the "blend 50 scenes together" approach, but it was a lot of work, and had to go through revisions and approval processes because of the license, I doubt anyone wants to waste more time on it.

Ultimately as much as it's disappointing, it's certainly not offensive, so as long as the playfield is great no one is going to care. Which isn't the most ringing endorsement ever, but hey, so it goes.

#40 10 years ago

Looks cool but like something is missing.....

Hob.jpgHob.jpg

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from eXidy:

I hoping for no penis on the backglass on the LE version

I was hoping for 2X the penis's in this upgraded version

#42 10 years ago

I like how the Start Button is the bright sun. Nice touch!

Looking at it again - I think the "collage" approach is good for the cabinet - but I think it would benefit the game to have a simpler backglass...especially since you're gonna have all sorts of scenes on the LCD. Would look more elegant/cleaner with the Hobbit Logo in the middle and maybe Bilbo on the upper left & Gandalf on the upper right ...and just have some design element working off the logo & surrounding the LCD.

#43 10 years ago

Looks great, but I'm surprised they have the king of goblins instead of Smaug on the cabinet art. IMHO he was not Jackson's best creation and the wattle looks like a nut sack...

#44 10 years ago

I was hoping for cute elf Evangine Lilly somewhere ...

#45 10 years ago

Liked the original cabinet art better.

Expected the dragon. Not very dynamic. Major miss.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Expected the dragon. Not very dynamic. Major miss.

How can they leave out Smaug???? Are you kidding me??? Smaug is the reason the story exists??? This is a classic BS case where they wanted to get ahead, but couldn't show Smaug because the new movie wasn't out, so they compromised the art package. Pathetic!!!!!! Or maybe it's that Jack is planning a Smaug LE and all of us who pre-ordered are about to get F'd over.

#47 10 years ago

Looks as good as Stern! Nice work!

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Or maybe it's that Jack is planning a Smaug LE and all of us who pre-ordered are about to get F'd over.

This art may have just been slapped together so that something could be shown at the open house.

I'd bet one of the final art designs for one of the models has a Smaug-o-ramma.

#49 10 years ago

Wow, it makes me want to order right now But I'm committed to waiting for my WOZLE to arrive. Have to admit, it looks fantastic! Maybe I'll call Joe tonight or this weekend.....this is my kind of theme for certain!

#50 10 years ago

I think it looks very good. I'm glad they used the Goblin King and Pale Orc. "That'll do it!"

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hardware
Pinball Haven

$ 25.50
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-artwork-new-what-do-you-think and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.