Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 days ago by ccbiggsoo7
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 12.38.47 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 12.11.51 AM (resized).png

#1 28 days ago

Hobbit 3.0 full install is up on the JJP website

https://www.JerseyJackPinball.com/support

http://159.203.76.48/th/TheHobbit-v03.00.iso

here is the readme from 2.96 to 3.00

==============================================================================
== Jersey Jack Pinball, Inc. ==
== Presents ==
== The Hobbit ==
== http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/ ==
== Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JerseyJackPinball ==
== Support Portal: http://support.jerseyjackpinball.com ==
== Company Twitter: @JJPinball ==
== Software Department Twitter: @JJPSoftware ==
== Copyright � 2016-8 Jersey Jack Pinball, Inc. ==

Comments, questions, and/or bug reports? Ask @JJPSoftware, which is monitored
and responded by humans.

Issues with your game?
Please open a ticket: http://support.jerseyjackpinball.com

== Legend ==

+ Addition * Change/bugfix - Note

== Version 3.0 November 12, 2018 ==
== 3.00 ISO image MD5 checksum: 0ef75a9406716b306cd73b63b394f5db ==

- NOTE: This is a FULL INSTALL release

* Changed "Gollum Save" display to prevent showing it on top of Extra Ball
* Updated Operator Manual to 3.4

=== OS

* Support for newer motherboards

== Version 2.991 November 2, 2018 ==

=== Game Code

* Fixed "Defeat of Azog" U-turn ramp diverter behavior
* Fixed Book Mode ball locked display sometimes showing +0 balls
* Changed Windlance display logic to ensure the shot meter always shows up
* Changed dragon priority for Smaug MB vs. modes

=== Core Code

* Fixed drop target malfunction detection

== Version 2.99 October 29, 2018 ==

=== Game Code

* Fixed "Battle of Five Armies" stage 3 logic
* Changed Arkenstone mode grace period behavior to no longer lock out all rules
* Changed "Defeat of Azog" rule to use U-turn ramp diverter
* Reverted "Light Mystery" inlane rule to V2.01 behavior
+ Added effects for Smaug Multiball Victory laps
* Adjusted music ducking for Smaug defeated
* Modified and added a few lamp effects
* Swapped fanfares for "Gandalf qualified" and "Book Mode lit"
* Updated Operator Manual to 3.3

=== Core Code

* Updated currency and pricing adjustment system
- Pricing settings display more sensibly when currency setting is changed
- Changing currency resets all pricing adjustments and earnings audits
- Invalid pricing tiers are now flagged when set
* Fixed Euro 11 preset
+ Added Japan pricing preset

== Version 2.98 October 18, 2018 ==

=== Game Code

* Modified some lamp effects
* Refined how speech is handled in Arkenstone modes
+ Added Extra Ball count and Tilt Warnings remaining to Status Report
* Changed beast taunting in "The Bait" to prevent repeated scoring w/misadjusted target
* Changed scoring on "Portcullis Loop" award

=== Core Code

* Fixed defect in drop target handler that would reset a drop target instead of scoring

== Version 2.97 October 12, 2018 ==

=== Game Code

* Fixed Arkenstone Mode champs to not reset to default at power up
+ Added some audits that were missing from Arkenstone modes
+ Added music for "Super Spinner"
* Fixed "Feast Frenzy" to include a grace period for scoring
+ Added "Feast Frenzy" and "Super Spinner" champs
* Changed colors used for Ring Button to make them more distinct
+ Added adjustment to inhibit Beast Hurry-up during Book Modes
* Changed Book Mode "hide beast" to inhibit Beast Hurry-up on inlane
+ Added backstab double scoring for Beast Hurry-up
+ Added a few display effects in various places
* Made a bunch of small changes to existing display effects
+ Added game number display to Smaug LE logo movie in attract mode
+ Added a bunch of lamp effects
* Adjusted gain and ducking parameters on fanfares and speech
+ Added some new speech callouts
* Suppressed Book Mode callouts during any multiball
* Changed mode timer to pause on "Gollum save" and trough kicking
* Turned on ball saver at start of "There and Back Again"
* Fixed "There and Back Again" so that it cannot start during a Book Mode
* Changed "There and Back Again" so that final shot does not time out
* Fixed dragon behavior in "Flashback" mode
* Changed "Riddles in the Dark" to be a 5-star tier for Arkenstone scoring
* Fixed ramp U-turn shot behavior when loading Windlance in Smaug Multiball
* Changed all use of kickback to honor "Kickback Strength" adjustment
* Changed "Bait" mode so that beast stays hidden longer on left loop shot
* Changed D-W-A-R-F skill shot to stop updating drop targets after a while

=== Core Code

* Fixed Status Report Start/Display adjustments
* Changed Status Report adjustment to allow up to 20 seconds per page
* Drop target bank error reporting now provides individual target information
* Changed ball handling default to "Balls in Reserve"

#2 28 days ago

If you haven’t updated in a while, be prepared .. for a very very different game. This is a monumental update from 2.x

#3 27 days ago

Wow! Making an awesome game even better! Kudos to check_switch_26, pinball_keefer and the rest of the team!

Quick question. I'm on 2.96. Looks like it's worth the effort to do the upgrade, but I was wondering if I can somehow keep my settings/high scores since this is not a delta update? Can I export/re-import settings and scores?

#4 27 days ago
Quoted from robin:

Wow! Making an awesome game even better! Kudos to check_switch_26, pinball_keefer and the rest of the team!
Quick question. I'm on 2.96. Looks like it's worth the effort to do the upgrade, but I was wondering if I can somehow keep my settings/high scores since this is not a delta update? Can I export/re-import settings and scores?

I believe you can back up settings from the menu, then re-import (you
Might want to use 2 different usb devices just in case). The full (i.e. non-delta) update will wipe everything!

#5 27 days ago

Yep, backup your settings to USB before doing the 3.0 install, then restore.

#7 27 days ago
Quoted from robin:

but I was wondering if I can somehow keep my settings/high scores since this is not a delta update?

I'd do it for any update, delta or full install.

Formatted USB stick nothing else on it. Plug into USB cable by cashbox.

Go to Utilities - Settings Backup - there you can back up or restore, do what the screen says.

LTG : )

#8 27 days ago

I need help getting this to work. I called JJP, they were nice but didn't have a suggestion other than to try different USB sticks.

I have tried:

PNY 32GB
Kingston 8GB
Sandisk 8GB

PNY straight doesn't work.
Sandisk/Kingston fail at two different places for file not found.

I have tried both using the cable near coinbox and plugging directly into the motherboard.

I downloaded the update twice to make sure download wasn't corrupt.
Unetbootin always appears to work correctly. unetbootin-windows-661.exe
Just frustrating as hell.

My most recent errors seem to be related to invalid partitions during PartClone, around 70%.

-ben

#9 27 days ago
Quoted from monsterbaldy:

I need help getting this to work. I called JJP, they were nice but didn't have a suggestion other than to try different USB sticks.
I have tried:
PNY 32GB
Kingston 8GB
Sandisk 8GB
PNY straight doesn't work.
Sandisk/Kingston fail at two different places for file not found.
I have tried both using the cable near coinbox and plugging directly into the motherboard.
I downloaded the update twice to make sure download wasn't corrupt.
Unetbootin always appears to work correctly. unetbootin-windows-661.exe
Just frustrating as hell.
My most recent errors seem to be related to invalid partitions during PartClone, around 70%.
-ben

Try the other alternate program they recommend instead of unetbootin. Can't remember what it's called but it's in the instructions, could never get mine to update with unetbootin.

#10 27 days ago

I did get it to work just now, the kingston USB eventually worked, with nothing that I was aware that I did differently from previous attempts. Thanks for the tip on unetbootin!

-ben

#11 23 days ago

I am trying to update from v2.96 to v3.0. I se that there is a 'change log' for v3.0 on the JJP downloads list marked "new". What is that and do I need to download and install it also? and, what is the "change log" used for? a mini update to correct errors in the v3.0 or???

#12 23 days ago

Changelog just lists the changes made from one version to the next. You don’t need to download it for anything.

#13 23 days ago

Thanks. Even after all the years I am still learning. Couldn't get 3.0 to load successfully. Will try it again after I get some new usb's. I was able to update to 6.61 previously so I should be able to 'get 'er done'

#14 23 days ago

I posted this in the "Hobbit owners" thread too, but might be helpful here as well:

After the 3.0 update I made some adjustments in the menu. Just a few minutes later, during adjusting some coil and game settings both screens went dark. Game was still working, since after pressing the escape button I could start a game, but both screens were dead. I switched the game off and on and both screens worked again. Played a few games, no more screens that went Black.
Differences from 2.99 to 3.0 that I don't like:
At the start of Smaug multiball during a mode or other any other call outs the "MULTIBALL" call out from Gandalf is often not heard.
The overall sound seems to be much "softer". I need to set my standard volume at 22 instead of 18 to hear the same volume.
Call outs from Smaug seem to be even softer than before. Especially the ones that were already low volume or difficult to hear.
The already mentioned "game over Smaug" glitch.
I didn't save my settings so I readjusted everything as best as I could remember. I like clear and loud sound effects and speech, so these setting go way up: but even with these settings up very high (sound FX and speech go up to 15) the sound doesn't match the quality of 2.99. But maybe I need to adjust some other sound settings too. Some help is appreciated on how to accomplish this.

Summary: for now 2.99 seems better. How to de-update to 2.99? Is that possible?

#15 23 days ago
Quoted from Maurice:

Summary: for now 2.99 seems better. How to de-update to 2.99? Is that possible?

The code barely changed from 2.99 to 3.00, and included mostly bug fixes. As I explained in the Owners thread, the sound channel mixer default values did change. You can find the old defaults in my post there.
--Ted

#16 21 days ago
Quoted from arcadem:

Thanks. Even after all the years I am still learning. Couldn't get 3.0 to load successfully. Will try it again after I get some new usb's. I was able to update to 6.61 previously so I should be able to 'get 'er done'

Well, I was able finally to install v3.0 after several failed attempts at using unetbootin. Even though I downloaded V3.0 several times and tried to load it onto my memory stick, it never appeared on the stick. I finally tried it using rufus.ie and it worked fine first time out. So far I have had no issues whatsoever with the update. Thanks Ted and the JJP team for making my Hobbit Black Arrow even better than it already was. Best game ever! But, I am still waiting for my POTC LE and I can't wait to see how it stacks up with my THBA and WOZRR.

#17 20 days ago

Trying to update using Unetbootin, but it stuck at 30, used another USB, but I keep getting black screen when I turn on the game while USB in. should I keep trying different usb's ?

Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 12.11.51 AM (resized).png
#18 20 days ago
Quoted from BinGhanem:

Trying to update using Unetbootin, but it stuck at 30, used another USB, but I keep getting black screen when I turn on the game while USB in. should I keep trying different usb's ?
[quoted image]

its probably not stuck. walk away and come back in about 30 minutes. there are a couple of places where it looks like it is stuck, but it is just loading very large files.

#19 20 days ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

its probably not stuck. walk away and come back in about 30 minutes. there are a couple of places where it looks like it is stuck, but it is just loading very large files.

True, but then I got this message, I tried "Yes to all" i keep getting black screen, I tried "No", same thing, in two different USB's

Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 12.38.47 AM (resized).png
#20 20 days ago
Quoted from BinGhanem:

True, but then I got this message, I tried "Yes to all" i keep getting black screen, I tried "No", same thing, in two different USB's
[quoted image]

That's strange. I get that message too, then i usually just walk away for about 45 minutes and then it is done when i get back

#21 20 days ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

That's strange. I get that message too, then i usually just walk away for about 45 minutes and then it is done when i get back

emailed JJP, waiting for a reply, Thanks for the help though !

#22 20 days ago
Quoted from BinGhanem:

emailed JJP, waiting for a reply, Thanks for the help though !

Hit yes to all.

#23 20 days ago

Hi guys
I’m in the same situation I can’t get it to load properly I’m on 2,95. Does anyone where I can go to get 2.99?
Bart

#24 20 days ago

Well, I was able finally to install v3.0 after several failed attempts at using unetbootin. Even though I downloaded V3.0 several times and tried to load it onto my memory stick, it never appeared on the stick and thus the update would not start on the game. As JJP advised in their download instructions, I finally tried it using rufus.ie and it worked fine the first time out. So far I have had no issues whatsoever with the update. Don't forget to save your settings first if you want to keep your high scores, etc. after you update to V3.0. Its easy to do so. Go to the utilities menu for USB updates and follow the on screen instructions.

#25 19 days ago

I did, i still get a black screen when I turn on the machine while usb is inserted, no menu or anything appears, weird..

#26 19 days ago

Ok, so I got new USB, downloaded the file again but on a windows pc, “I used mac for the past tries” and everything went smooth,

So not sure if it’s the USB or the operating system, hope this info can be useful to someone in the future !

#27 19 days ago
Quoted from BinGhanem:

Ok, so I got new USB, downloaded the file again but on a windows pc, “I used mac for the past tries” and everything went smooth,
So not sure if it’s the USB or the operating system, hope this info can be useful to someone in the future !

Glad you got it figured out. I always use my imac and haven't had an issue. Either way, glad you get to enjoy the fun that is The Hobbit ver 3.00

#28 16 days ago

TLDR version:

I believe that a USB 2.0 flash drive may be necessary to install the full Hobbit 3.0 update which involves booting from the flash drive itself.

Long version:

I updated my Hobbit this weekend with the 3.0 full update. I ran into problems as well for a few hours but zeroed in on the key “too long, didn’t read” observation mentioned above.

Initially I used a USB 3.0 drive which had worked for me previously for both delta install updates as well as backing up and restoring settings. For the full install I reformatted the drive and burned the 3.00 full ISO using both macOS and Windows in several attempts. In both approaches the image copied successfully but I could NOT get the USB drive to boot in the Hobbit. Interestingly I WAS able to boot the USB 3.0 flash drive in a PC with no trouble. It booted equally well in both USB 3.0 and 2.0 slots on my Dell laptop.

At that point I did a little more research at a site with more technical background ( http://lachniet.com/hobbit ) which covers a deeper topic of internet enabling the Hobbit machine. [ More info is in this Pinside thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-i-internet-ified-my-hobbit-pin ... now back to the topic of this thread ... ]

The MSI H81M-P33 motherboard which is installed in my Hobbit (and most others?) has a mix of USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports. The motherboard port used for software access via the extension cable fastened by the coin box happens to be a USB 2.0 port. Armed with that information I bought an older, smaller, and slower (*sigh*) USB 2.0 flash drive. I formatted it, burned the Hobbit 3.0 full install image and was able to boot in my Hobbit with no further problems. Success!!

I hope this observation helps someone else in the future. Perhaps LTG (Hi Lloyd!) can file it away as additional suggestion for other customers who have problems with full install upgrades in the future.

Since this solved my problem I now lack the motivation to dig deeper but I had two more ideas as further backup ammunition. One would have been to instead plug my USB 3.0 drive with proven bootable image temporarily into one of the 3.0 ports on the motherboard to attempt the full upgrade to reimage the SSD. The second more ambitious idea would have been to update the motherboard firmware itself and then check if the original port would work correctly with both USB 2.0 and 3.0 flash drives. I will leave those ideas to someone more adventuresome and/or the JJP tech team to explore.

#29 13 days ago

During the second and third Arkenstone mode, but especially during botfa the callout "stage 1 complete" is heard at the same time as Azog speak his "orc language encouragements" to his troops. These callouts from Azog from one stage to the next make botfa a great experience and, according to me, this is ruined by the new "stage 1, stage 2, stage 3 completed" phrases.
These phrases go well with "into the fire" since no character speaks during the end of a stage. But during botfa it's annoying and not necessary, since Azog already introduces the next stages in a great way.
Solution: delete the "stage 1, 2, 3 callouts during barrel escape and botfa. If I remember correctly the callouts also overwhelm the "superjackpot" callouts during the Arkenstone modes.

Anybody please correct me if I'm wrong.

#30 13 days ago

I'll let you know if I ever get past Into The Fire

#31 13 days ago

I already expected an answer like that and I hope a JJP programmer reads my post too.

#32 13 days ago
Quoted from Maurice:

During the second and third Arkenstone mode, but especially during botfa the callout "stage 1 complete" is heard at the same time as Azog speak his "orc language encouragements" to his troops. These callouts from Azog from one stage to the next make botfa a great experience and, according to me, this is ruined by the new "stage 1, stage 2, stage 3 completed" phrases.
These phrases go well with "into the fire" since no character speaks during the end of a stage. But during botfa it's annoying and not necessary, since Azog already introduces the next stages in a great way.
Solution: delete the "stage 1, 2, 3 callouts during barrel escape and botfa. If I remember correctly the callouts also overwhelm the "superjackpot" callouts during the Arkenstone modes.
Anybody please correct me if I'm wrong.

I get your point, although I wouldn't say BOFA is "ruined". There are a couple of cases where the narrator call out stomps on the Azog speech. I will adjust the timing of that.

I don't understand why you suggest removing the call outs from Barrel Escape, since there is no other speech except for grunts at each stage completion.

The "Stage X Complete" call outs replaced the "Super Jackpot" speech, which is no longer used during Arkenstone modes.

--Ted

#33 13 days ago

Thank you for correcting me on the barrel escape callouts, since I wasn't sure about what really is said there when you go from one stage to the next.
I really appreciate you're going to adjust the callouts during botfa. Ruined sounds indeed a bit harsh, but I really prefered the way the callouts the way they were.
Again thank you very much for your understanding and I'm looking forward to the next 3.x update.

Another thing I noticed during barrel escape: stage 1 is all about scoring 15 barrel bumpers. The dwarf drop target help to decrease the number of hits.
During Stage 2 you must hit ramp-orc 6 times to advance to the next stage. No callout follows after you hit the last orc and you advance to the stage during which almost all shots and drop targets need to be hit. The popbumpers reduce the numer of shots. After completing this stage I remember the callout "stage 2 complete". It seems though you've already completed 3 stages at that moment. The next stage is about hitting dwarf and elf droptargets and it is the last before going into the final stage in which you can score victory laps only.
In short: maybe the callout "stage 2 completed" should be added after hitting the last orc and other callouts at the end of the next stages?

#34 13 days ago

I haven't made it to Five Armies on the new code yet, but I wanted to express my appreciation for the "stage 1, stage2" callouts. I really think these improve the game, as they give you a sense of your progress . I like how things escalate through, and it really gives you a sense of accomplishment when you are going through those modes.

#35 13 days ago

I just finished the upgrade and on my first game I got my highest score ever
Anyway, a few tips:

1) Use an 8GB USB (SanDisk works). Anything larger or smaller doesn't seem to work. If you insert the USB into the update port and reboot The Hobbit and it doesn't immediately start the update process, try another USB.

2) Make sure the USB is formatted FAT32 and not NTFS. Writing the files to the USB seems to stop for about 5 minutes. Just give it a chance to finish.

3) Back up your config first. If you don't, it will be overwritten by the defaults. Also, all of your high-scores will be gone.

#36 12 days ago
Quoted from Maurice:

Another thing I noticed during barrel escape: stage 1 is all about scoring 15 barrel bumpers. The dwarf drop target help to decrease the number of hits.
During Stage 2 you must hit ramp-orc 6 times to advance to the next stage. No callout follows after you hit the last orc and you advance to the stage during which almost all shots and drop targets need to be hit. The popbumpers reduce the numer of shots. After completing this stage I remember the callout "stage 2 complete". It seems though you've already completed 3 stages at that moment. The next stage is about hitting dwarf and elf drop targets and it is the last before going into the final stage in which you can score victory laps only.
In short: maybe the callout "stage 2 completed" should be added after hitting the last orc and other callouts at the end of the next stages?

This is a good point. The "Stage X Completed" speech idea happened long after the Arkenstone Modes were designed and coded. Internally, Barrel Escape really only has four stages, but Stage 2 has an 'A' portion and a 'B' portion as you described.

I've changed the user interface to treat Stages 2A & 2B as if they were separate stages. (Although I have to use the same background movie loop for both.)
--Ted

#37 12 days ago

Your answer and explanation are highly appreciated. Thanks a lot for understanding and promise to adjust the code. Nice to read that the background music doesn't change but I can live with that. The sounds and callouts are what it's all about to increase the level of immersion for me and you really understand that. Thank you very much.

#38 12 days ago
Quoted from netman63129:

I just finished the upgrade and on my first game I got my highest score ever
Anyway, a few tips:
1) Use an 8GB USB (SanDisk works). Anything larger or smaller doesn't seem to work. If you insert the USB into the update port and reboot The Hobbit and it doesn't immediately start the update process, try another USB.
2) Make sure the USB is formatted FAT32 and not NTFS. Writing the files to the USB seems to stop for about 5 minutes. Just give it a chance to finish.
3) Back up your config first. If you don't, it will be overwritten by the defaults. Also, all of your high-scores will be gone.

ive tried about 10 times, still nothing. never had a problem with any code update till this one.

#39 12 days ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

ive tried about 10 times, still nothing. never had a problem with any code update till this one.

Give Rufus a try to make the bootable flash drive, this is the only way I was able to install the 3.0 update. Reformat the drive (FAT32), open Rufus and select the thumb drive, set boot selection to the 3.0 ISO, and click "start". Next, with the game off plug the thumb drive in, and then turn the game on to begin install.

https://rufus.ie/en_IE.html

#40 12 days ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

I am right across the river from you in Oakville. I still have my loaded flash drive. You are welcome to try it?

#41 12 days ago
Quoted from netman63129:

I am right across the river from you in Oakville. I still have my loaded flash drive. You are welcome to try it?

yeah man, I drive by Oakville everyday. pm me your number

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Machine - For Sale
Ridgeland, WI
$ 11.95
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 59.99
£ 58.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 27.50
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Decals
Flip N Out Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 8,000.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside