image-350.jpg
image-847.jpg
Woz1.jpg
image-7.jpg
147.jpg
50.jpg
49.jpg
1800218_864126546939276_1755374531318994760_n.jpg
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Enjoy...

1800218_864126546939276_1755374531318994760_n.jpg1800218_864126546939276_1755374531318994760_n.jpg
#2 9 years ago

More!!!!
Where's the playfield shot?!?

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from Sidekick74:

Enjoy...

1800218_864126546939276_17553745... 88 KB

Your an Fing tease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 9 years ago

Looks like a big flasher in the top of the head between the speakers. Old backglass. Cool new user interface!

#5 9 years ago

Lol, well played sir.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Sidekick74:

Enjoy...

1800218_864126546939276_17553745... 88 KB

Yippee.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Looks like a big flasher in the top of the head between the speakers.

It's actually a camera with facial recognition software (with a focal point that adjusts for differences in people's height). After the first ball of a game is plunged the camera takes a pic of the player's face and superimposes it on one of the characters displayed on the screen in the backbox (before launching the ball you get to choose whether you want to be pictured as an elf or a dwarf or an orc).

Or maybe it is a remote drive-thru order window linked to the McDonald's down the street?

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Or maybe it is a remote drive-thru order window linked to the McDonald's down the street?

Would you like fries with that?

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Would you like fries with that?

It's Everquest 2 /pizza all over again.

#10 9 years ago

Is this all we are gonne see this expo?

Even jpop showed more haha .

#11 9 years ago

It looks like a hobbit playing it.

#13 9 years ago

How many Hobbits could you stuff in a JJ cab. I'm thinking two, three if you remove the Playfield and glass.

#14 9 years ago

I want my money back.

#15 9 years ago

Well it looks like someone played it, i wonder if they could at least describe it or even tell us if smaug is decent looking?

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

Well it looks like someone played it, i wonder if they could at least describe it or even tell us if smaug is decent looking?

maybe he is being sarcastic?

#17 9 years ago

Can we get some real pics?

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Can we get some real pics?

Totally agree.

#19 9 years ago

10:30 can't come soon enough...

#20 9 years ago

Two minutes...

#21 9 years ago

As Jack speaks if anyone needs clarity let me know. Should i start a new thread? Hobbit Q/A?

#22 9 years ago

Sounds like a good idea, Alex.

#23 9 years ago

What room is the fireside chat in?

#24 9 years ago

yes please
Alex Ive waited all day for this

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

As Jack speaks if anyone needs clarity let me know. Should i start a new thread? Hobbit Q/A?

Yes please. I will moderate out the troll crap if you take the time to do it.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Yes please

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yes please. I will moderate out the troll crap if you take the time to do it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-expo-qa

#29 9 years ago

JJP Expo presentation happening now. Live feed available here http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jguynes

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

JJP Expo presentation happening now. Live feed available here http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jguynes

Awesome -- can someone live there ASK to get the lights dropped -- so we at home can see the projector screen too?

300 of us watching -- bad ass!

-mof

#31 9 years ago

"Smawug"!? Really?

#32 9 years ago

damm i wish they would pull the PF glass cant see shit i am so swapping my thle over to smse

#33 9 years ago

We can't see CRAP at home. The big screen is just a big white blur. We need those lights dimmed to have a chance (me thinks)
-mof

#34 9 years ago

I'm getting ads galore

#35 9 years ago

Look at the Rats Nest under the playfield, surreal

#36 9 years ago

Very cool Smaug head!
How does it work?
-mof

#37 9 years ago

So.......metal fish tales ramp?

#38 9 years ago

anyone have any decent PF pics?

#39 9 years ago

here you go

49.jpg49.jpg
50.jpg50.jpg

#40 9 years ago

Does the dragon say, "Hey Bucko!" ?
-mof

#41 9 years ago

SO PLEASED to see all the drops. My interest in the game just went up 2 points.
-mof

#42 9 years ago

Thanks these picts make it look better, even Smaug looks ok. I just cannot get over that effin book.......seriously does anyone know if it does anything? it blocks the whole back right side near the pops and just looks like an eye sore. Also how do the pop up targets look in person?

Also someone get video of this game up ASAP, I want to see it in action.

#43 9 years ago

First reaction, based on the pics alone the game looks good but visually doesn't seem to come together well. You have what looks like a random dragon that doesn't convincely look like it is apart of the landscape of the game, a horse shoe looking ramp in the center and a book which hides the entire river that the barrels are floating down. The book to me looks like a useless item on the playfield and I'm sure will be the first thing to be replaced with a mod. The color of the targets below the book just don't seem to balance well with the rest of the game either.

The drop targets are interesting but I don't get overly excited about shooting drop targets as a large part of the game, which, seem to take up a good portion of the playfield and I am assuming plays a large part of the game. Talking heads have also been done before.

I do think the LCD screen, sound and modes will bring a lot of value to the game.

Also I have read many of the sculpt comments and I really feel the sculpts look slightly above average but not anything I would brag about.

Overall, at first glance, the game looks good but I think WoZ and TBL look better. I think WoZ and TBL have more innovation in their game as well. With TH it looks like a lot of targets and shots. Maybe that type of game just doesn't do it for me. The game looks flat, the toys don't blend in well or in the case of the book don't lend anything to the game. I feel the theme could have been better represented. There really isn't anything that pops for me when I look at the table.

I do have a Hobbit Pre-Order. I do feel it's going to be a good game but there is a lot of other things I can spend 8K on. I'm hoping some videos will raise my level of excitement of the game. I could be completely wrong about how I feel about it after playing it.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from mattsmith:

First reaction, based on the pics alone the game looks good but visually doesn't seem to come together well. You have what looks like a random dragon that doesn't convincely look like it is apart of the landscape of the game, a horse shoe looking ramp in the center and a book which hides the entire river that the barrels are floating down. The book to me looks like a useless item on the playfield and I'm sure will be the first thing to be replaced with a mod. The color of the targets below the book just don't seem to balance well with the rest of the game either.
The drop targets are interesting but I don't get overly excited about shooting drop targets as a large part of the game, which, seem to take up a good portion of the playfield and I am assuming plays a large part of the game. Talking heads have also been done before.
I do think the LCD screen, sound and modes will bring a lot of value to the game.
Also I have read many of the sculpt comments and I really feel the sculpts look slightly above average but not anything I would brag about.
Overall, at first glance, the game looks good but I think WoZ and TBL look better. I think WoZ and TBL have more innovation in their game as well. With TH it looks like a lot of targets and shots. Maybe that type of game just doesn't do it for me. The game looks flat, the toys don't blend in well or in the case of the book don't lend anything to the game. I feel the theme could have been better represented. There really isn't anything that pops for me when I look at the table.
I do have a Hobbit Pre-Order. I do feel it's going to be a good game but there is a lot of other things I can spend 8K on. I'm hoping some videos will raise my level of excitement of the game. I could be completely wrong about how I feel about it after playing it.

Hobbit looks like it was done on a much cheaper budget than WoZ. Look at the Hobbit pics I posted above and then look at this:

147.jpg147.jpg
image-7.jpgimage-7.jpg
Woz1.jpgWoz1.jpg

Maybe it's mostly a difference in art direction, whereas The Hobbit has none. Why did Joe Balcer and Greg Freres leave the company? because their departure is noticeable. And Balcer, the designer of this game, left in the middle of the production - that's not a good sign.

#45 9 years ago

On a smaller note, an interactive map on the apron, which, some spoke of, would have been a nice touch. Very cheap to have put in a few lights and help you play along the travels of the story of the game rules. If they were designed around that type of gameplay progression.

I think JJP should go back and treat this as a prototype and give it 1 or 2 more months development to bring the game up a notch. I wouldn't mind waiting.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

SO PLEASED to see all the drops. My interest in the game just went up 2 points.
-mof

I DO like that too! Drop targets rock and the unique 4 pop-ups behavior is cool too (regardless of what they look like.) Game play itself looks to be cool! Detail in the toys (and true mechanical action) may be lacking ... but the rules, flow, and game play look to be solid. There is good and bad.

#47 9 years ago

LCD looks like a huge leap ahead from the boxy WOZ screen. We need to see video to see how the random over sized book and super-hyped smaug toy interact.

#48 9 years ago

OK, here's what I think (mere opinions based on viewing of preliminary pictures):

Also concerned about the book. So many cool things in these movies: the werebear, the rock giant things, huge talking eagles, even the round door at Bag End and yet they decided to go with a book that appears to do nothing?

Sincerely hope the interactive apron is still coming, that was a great idea, but I don't see any lighting on the apron here.

Smaug talking and moving is good but I really hope that he does something else. I find it strange that the licensor would have objected to Smaug swallowing or being hit by pinballs because it doesn't happen in the movie when clearly the orcs, goblins, spiders and wargs are not bashed by pinballs in the film either.

It appears that the main toy in the machine is not quite as good as Rudy. It talks, sure, but it's eyes don't move and it doesn't seem to interact with the ball. I hope I'm missing something.

Again, all initial impressions, probably wrong...

#49 9 years ago

any speculation on what the two magnets at the top of the PF do? in one of the pics of the underside i saw two magnets under the the crossover ramp at the top of the pf. it also looks like a second divertor to the upper left of smaug.

i still feel this is still an early mock-up just done for the expo, and i think we will see lots of "attention to detail" prior to the game starting production.

#50 9 years ago

The apron looks bad ass. Love me some Tolkien maps.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
Flipper Parts
FlipMods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.