(Topic ID: 168867)

Hmmm.... Do You believe that Marco S. sells good quality stuff ??

By pabloshootagain

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

055 pulidas (resized).JPG
    DSCN7057 (resized).JPG
    DSCN7050 (resized).JPG
    standup.jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DSCN7040 (resized).JPG
    DSCN7031 (resized).JPG
    DSCN7028 (resized).JPG
    DSCN7026 (resized).JPG
    DSC01693 (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

Hi all !!
    I´m writing to tell you about my great deception at Marco Specialities.
    In case you don´t know, a few months ago, I wrote a topic, here in Pinside, about my on the purchase and restoration of my Bally Frontier , see the link
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-frontier-full-restoration-playfield-backglass-and-others

I bought some of the accessories in Marco Specialties , which a friend from Canada sent me.
    Among other accessories, I bought 2 Coin Door Drop Plate.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/P-7601

I already had some, but I bought them for it to be a perfect restoration since I prefered them brand new, and not the old ones in my two Frontier which were 36 years old .
    My friend sent me them in October 2015.

DSC01693 (resized).JPGDSC01693 (resized).JPG

When I opened the package I happened to see some little spots in those two pieces, but, as they were wrapped, I thought they might be a bit dirty from when they were wrapped and didn´t give it too much importance since I thought, stainless steel doesn´t get oxidized !! and then gave them to Leo, who restored it and gave me it back when finished, by the end of February 2016.
    He, then, told me that he had to polished them, because they were a bit oxidized (if you zoom the photo next to the wrapping, you´ll be able to see it). But, as Leo is mostly meticulous, I thought he could be exaggerating.
    A few months later, to my surprise, see what they look like!!

DSCN7026 (resized).JPGDSCN7026 (resized).JPG
    DSCN7028 (resized).JPGDSCN7028 (resized).JPG
    DSCN7031 (resized).JPGDSCN7031 (resized).JPG

Indeed, the quality of it: just cheap metal !!!!
    In Marco´s description of the material used, the name of it, is not said, but I never thought they could have been made out of cheap metal.
    And I didn´t buy them for being cheaper, I bought them because Marco Specialties did not have others, they were the only ones.
    Long ago they were made out of stainless steel, but, luckily, I have the spares whose value I underestimated at the beginning for being so old, but, look in what a good condition they are, after 36 years !!!
    DSCN7040 (resized).JPGDSCN7040 (resized).JPG

Obviously I am not claiming for money ( $ 3,60 each), I´m claiming for quality, and as I am in Montevideo, Uruguay, South America, very far from Marco Specialties , I can´t do anything other than warning you.
    For you to open your eyes if you buy there, and that not all that glitters is “gold”!!!
    In this case it isn´t stainless steel !!!
    Well, my friends, tell what you think.
    Thanks for reading, Pablo

#2 7 years ago

Funny you say this. I just ordered a few things from them that I JUST got in the mail. I needed a 3D standup target for my White Water, a decal, and a ball popper.

The popper looked good, but the decal is having a hard time sticking, and my standup target came deconstructed and had a different shade of green than the one I ordered from Pinballlife. (Pinballlife's target looked OE and was fully assembled, Marco's looks like something I bought at the dollar store).

This was the first time I was genuinely disappointed with Marco's quality. Generally, I've found their stuff to be pretty good.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from pabloshootagain:

Well, my friends, tell what you think.
    Thanks for reading, Pablo

Have you reached out to Marco Specialties directly?

I understand they have a special email address that can even be reached from Montevideo, Uruguay, South America.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from Razorbak86:

Have you reached out to Marco Specialties directly?
    I understand they have a special email address that can even be reached from Montevideo, Uruguay, South America.

I thought , but ultimately in the best case they will send me the same scrap metal, or not ?
    They have no alternative

#5 7 years ago

It may be stainless. There is more than one grade of stainless steel. I wouldn't be happy either way though.

#6 7 years ago

Yes, generally. I'm sorry you had a bad experience. The owner is very involved with the business and would want to ensure your concerns are addressed. I suggest you contact and give them the opportunity to earn your confidence.

#7 7 years ago

I have noticed small things where some parts are said to be new but look obviously used. I would imagine they recycle a lot of parts. There may be a disclaimer somewhere that says parts may be used, but I've never noticed it.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

It may be stainless. There is more than one grade of stainless steel. I wouldn't be happy either way though.

Thanks Travish !! , but if there are several types of steel, this is the worst !! Are you agree ?

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Yes, generally. I'm sorry you had a bad experience. The owner is very involved with the business and would want to ensure your concerns are addressed. I suggest you contact and give them the opportunity to earn your confidence.

I understand what you say , but Marco is not just around my corner , it took me a long time to have everything at home.
    I 'll be polishing the old ones I have, and will be even more original, what do you think ?

#10 7 years ago

I love original parts. I hope it turns out well.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Funny you say this. I just ordered a few things from them that I JUST got in the mail. I needed a 3D standup target for my White Water, a decal, and a ball popper.
    The popper looked good, but the decal is having a hard time sticking, and my standup target came deconstructed and had a different shade of green than the one I ordered from Pinballlife. (Pinballlife's target looked OE and was fully assembled, Marco's looks like something I bought at the dollar store).
    This was the first time I was genuinely disappointed with Marco's quality. Generally, I've found their stuff to be pretty good.

Did you order the translucent green targets for AFM? Mine were wrong as well. I called in and they confirmed the wrong targets were in the translucent green bin. The correct targets will be ready in 3 weeks. I will be returning mine and ordering them from pinball life as time is an issue.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from twisty4678:

Did you order the translucent green targets for AFM?

No, I ordered the oblong translucent target for lighting the ball locks.

This is how I received it:

standup.jpgstandup.jpg

Now, I don't mind having to put it together--taking me an extra 25 seconds--but the color saturation of the green is more of a bluish turquoise, than a green when held in the light. So on that basis alone, I don't think I want to use it in the game. I don't know... If I'm spending $10 on a damn target, I feel like it should at least be pre-assembled and be color matched.

I ordered the same targets a little while ago from pinballlife, and they looked exactly like the original William's targets, and it was all in one piece. I'll probably stick to pinballlife for stuff like this in the future.

#13 7 years ago

I think you should let them know that you're unhappy and why. It doesn't matter where you are located in the world a good company will make it right. Don't assume before asking!

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I think you should let them know that you're unhappy and why. It doesn't matter where you are located in the world a good company will make it right. Don't assume before asking!

Yes, but , what for ? I do not think they are going to make some new ones with good steel for me, and then send them to me.
    I do not believe in Santa Claus !! Ha Ha
    Those are the only parts that they have for sell and are the same material. You think they will change for me?, and I do not want it now.
    I only write this thread to alert all of you that not all that glitters is stainless steel !!!

#15 7 years ago

I've never had huge issues with Marco's quality, but their ordering system & customer service blows. I just put in a $400+ order worth of Data East Simpsons parts and at the very end, realized I forgot to add a stupid little molex connector (CN1 for the power supply). I placed the order just after midnight and called their phone number first thing in the morning wanting to add that connector to the order. They wouldn't do it. Now I have to make an entirely new order and pay more shipping. This is the second time theyve been unwilling to help when I forgot a small part of my order. The last time was when I spent $200 on parts for my Nine Ball and forgot to add a 1 1/8" lock. Emailed them within 30 seconds of placing the order. Got an email the next morning saying that I am shit outta luck. Odd that they really don't care. If they weren't the only place that had DE Simpsons parts in stock, I would have certainly bought my stuff elsewhere. I am going to be spending a TON of money on pinball parts this next year with the 28 machines I just recently picked up, and I can only hope that with the rest of the machines I have left to finish, that other companies like PBR have the parts in stock.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheDrewster:

I've never had huge issues with Marco's quality, but their ordering system & customer service blows. I just put in a $400+ order worth of Data East Simpsons parts and at the very end, realized I forgot to add a stupid little molex connector (CN1 for the power supply). I placed the order just after midnight and called their phone number first thing in the morning wanting to add that connector to the order. They wouldn't do it. Now I have to make an entirely new order and pay more shipping. This is the second time theyve been unwilling to help when I forgot a small part of my order. The last time was when I spent $200 on parts for my Nine Ball and forgot to add a 1 1/8" lock. Emailed them within 30 seconds of placing the order. Got an email the next morning saying that I am shit outta luck. Odd that they really don't care. If they weren't the only place that had DE Simpsons parts in stock, I would have certainly bought my stuff elsewhere. I am going to be spending a TON of money on pinball parts this next year with the 28 machines I just recently picked up, and I can only hope that with the rest of the machines I have left to finish, that other companies like PBR have the parts in stock.

I know people who get orders amended. It probably has to do with how fast people catch emails/calls relative to when the order was packed.

Ordering elsewhere would be great, but PBR doesn't list everything they have online. There are numerous parts I'd be happy to order from them, except I don't want to have to call/email and ask.

#17 7 years ago

Hi all !!
    I´m writing to tell you about my great deception at Marco Specialities.
    In case you don´t know, a few months ago, I wrote a topic, here in Pinside, about my on the purchase and restoration of my Bally Frontier , see the link
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-frontier-full-restoration-playfield-backglass-and-others
    I bought some of the accessories in Marco Specialties , which a friend from Canada sent me.
    Among other accessories, I bought 2 Coin Door Drop Plate.
    http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/P-7601
    I already had some, but I bought them for it to be a perfect restoration since I prefered them brand new, and not the old ones in my two Frontier which were 36 years old .
    My friend sent me them in October 2015.

When I opened the package I happened to see some little spots in those two pieces, but, as they were wrapped, I thought they might be a bit dirty from when they were wrapped and didn´t give it too much importance since I thought, stainless steel doesn´t get oxidized !! and then gave them to Leo, who restored it and gave me it back when finished, by the end of February 2016.
    He, then, told me that he had to polished them, because they were a bit oxidized (if you zoom the photo next to the wrapping, you´ll be able to see it). But, as Leo is mostly meticulous, I thought he could be exaggerating.
    A few months later, to my surprise, see what they look like!!

Indeed, the quality of it: just cheap metal !!!!

The difference in the cost of metal would be insignificant for something this small. Finding good quality stainless steel is not easy to do these days. There are many steel suppliers that fake the chemical analysis certs so unless you verify with an X-ray gun or deal with a trusted source you wouldn't know. Also, keep in mind it's possible that whoever did the polishing re-used an abrasive already used for mild steel and contaminated/impregnated the Marco parts with carbon steel which is now what you see on the surface rusting. I'm sure if you ask your polisher they will deny so you will never know the truth. Did you try some Brasso metal polish? It works wonders.

#18 7 years ago

Yes, but , what for ? I do not think they are going to make some new ones with good steel for me, and then send them to me.

Maybe that's exactly what they'd do.

Not all companies sell poor products on purpose. Maybe they don't know it's a problem with this item because no customers have told them. Maybe it's a bad batch. Maybe they'd choose a different manufacturer next time they place an order for them.

What would it hurt to send them and email and tell them what happened? Maybe they apologize and say there's nothing they can do. Maybe they apologize, send you a new one and start making them differently in the future.

Seems like a good idea, either way.

#19 7 years ago

Just an update to my original post in regards to the green targets- Marco acknowledged that the wrong switches were sent out accidentally and offered a full refund within 24 hours. I have had nothing but accuracy and speed (which is very important in this hobby) with all other orders, and would definitely recommend ordering with them in the future.

As far as the quality of the materials for your coin slots, I think that this is out of their control. As far as I'm aware, they do not manufacture parts in house but rely on other companies/manufacturers. This might be the only material available to them or it perhaps could have been a bad batch (not properly coated, wrong material). I would definitely recommend calling, because at the very least they could offer a refund or search for a different vendor for that part if they discover other people have had the same issue.

#20 7 years ago

I ordered some parts from Marco and was quite happy with it. They were out of stock for one part, so I agreed to send what they had available for it, and also forgot a few parts, so they tacked it on.

Their response was quick &the part quality is good. They shipped me what looked like a big toblerone box. My Secret Service is up and running now.

#21 7 years ago

Try Cliffy's classic Bally coin parts:

http://www.passionforpinball.com/blycoin.htm

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

No, I ordered the oblong translucent target for lighting the ball locks.
    This is how I received it:

Now, I don't mind having to put it together--taking me an extra 25 seconds--but the color saturation of the green is more of a bluish turquoise, than a green when held in the light. So on that basis alone, I don't think I want to use it in the game. I don't know... If I'm spending $10 on a damn target, I feel like it should at least be pre-assembled and be color matched.
    I ordered the same targets a little while ago from pinballlife, and they looked exactly like the original William's targets, and it was all in one piece. I'll probably stick to pinballlife for stuff like this in the future.

It is exceptionally difficult to get an exact colour match between different batches. Each small batch is mixed by hand and eye and there are going to be small differences no matter how carefully you mix the materials.

We have this problem constantly in the factory and, even using micro scales when we add the colouring powder, I can notice differences between batches.

We usually do runs of around 1000 parts (depending on exactly what that part is) and the only way to ensure a more consistent match would be to make, and store, a much larger quantity.

This is just a fact that people will have to accept with many replacement parts as the originals dry up.

Even back in the day there were variances in the colour of parts.

#23 7 years ago

I believe that Marco has good quality stuff over all.
    But their attention to detail leaves a lot to be desired.
    They sell thousands of parts.
    That said however...Just because a part will probably fit doesnt mean that its the correct OEM part.

I ordered a START switch for TOM. The lugs are for a much newer game and wont fit the connectors on the game, also the text font on the outside was poorly printed and too small.

it's true that its only an $8 part, but, It was not the correct one at all but a generic low quality copy.

At the same time, I have never received a rubber kit from them that has the correct rubber in the correct quantity. So dont even hope for a proper rubber kit for the $25, shop for that elsewhere IMHO...

However in spite of the complaints, Marco generally has tons of items, that are for the most part, pretty good and usable.

#24 7 years ago

Return your order.
    Marco will help you.
    They may even send you another order for free if things are really junk.
    Remember they do not make many parts or things in their inventory.
    There are bad batches and subpar quantities that are made.

#25 7 years ago

Yeah, I would email Marco and ask them how they want to proceed.

If no one tells them that the parts were made from the wrong metal, they will just keep selling them.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yeah, I would email Marco and ask them how they want to proceed.
    If no one tells them that the parts were made from the wrong metal, they will just keep selling them.

Vid, thanks for your interest

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from twisty4678:

I have had nothing but accuracy and speed (which is very important in this hobby

Luckily you live state side , try ordering from Canada or outside the US ... The outsourced shipper IGobal is horrific. Pay for tracking numbers and you have to call or email several times prior to getting a service you paid for , as far as Marco goes never an issue with product .
    Sad to see a first class company relies on the worst possible shipping company to handle their product!

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Luckily you live state side , try ordering from Canada or outside the US ... The outsourced shipper IGobal is horrific. Pay for tracking numbers and you have to call or email several times prior to getting a service you paid for , as far as Marco goes never an issue with product .
    Sad to see a first class company relies on the worst possible shipping company to handle their product!

We drive to the border to pick up because the inconvenience is worth it compared to how bad iGobal is. Otherwise we've had nothing but great service from Marco.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

What's a coincidence !!, my Canadian friend who sent me those things is from Edmonton.
    He is a friend I met through Pinside and visited us last year in Uruguay.
    Perhaps you know him, I leave the link of his history here in Uruguay.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/wtuttle/stories/pinball-at-the-ends-of-the-earthor-in-this-case-uruguay

#30 7 years ago

So beautiful !! if I had known ......

1 week later
    #31 7 years ago

Marco is great imo, this is a niche hobby so fixing rusted parts is better then NO parts at all. But I understand, still you have to make mention to Steve over at Marco, companies don't know what's going on if you don't talk to them.

#32 7 years ago

Just ordered from Marco ... $50.00 USD to get it to Canada ... Called from UPS additional $22.00 to deliver ....
    Thanks again IGlobal ....$80.00 CDN to deliver 2.2 pounds of parts worth $125.00
    I'm in the wrong business !

#33 7 years ago

Marco is the only vendor that seems to sell good quality white traditional rubbers with their PRW brand, so that is the only place I purchase them from.

They also have a large selection of parts that a lot of other places don't carry.

Like any other vendor, they are not perfect and mistakes do get made. However their customer service and response time are second to none.

#34 7 years ago

I've found Marco to be incredibly reliable- and frankly has never let me down. But I'm just one of many customers.

When I met Marco in person at PinFest this summer he was incredibly nice, helpful- and offered me a deep discount on items he had just run out of since I had to have it mailed.

I'm sure he's not making a mint on this stuff- I would simply ask him directly if you're having trouble with a part(s)....

Good luck!

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Just ordered from Marco ... $50.00 USD to get it to Canada ... Called from UPS additional $22.00 to deliver ....
    Thanks again IGlobal ....$80.00 CDN to deliver 2.2 pounds of parts worth $125.00
    I'm in the wrong business !

Oops .....

1 week later
    #36 7 years ago

These are the new ones ( 1 year old ) from Marco´s
    DSCN7057 (resized).JPGDSCN7057 (resized).JPG

These are the old ones (36 years old !!) from Bally, before polishing
    DSCN7050 (resized).JPGDSCN7050 (resized).JPG
    Later I am going to polish and then I'll upload the photos before placing in my Pinball Frontier
    You can compare them with the new ones ( 1 year old !!)

#37 7 years ago

Ok guys, here are polished, (remember 36 years old !!)
    055 pulidas (resized).JPG055 pulidas (resized).JPG
    I give this thread terminated.
    Bye bye Marco Specialities...., and Hello Bally !!!

#38 7 years ago

ive always been pretty happy with my puchases. i bought a rubber kit for my Gottlieb Sheriff, and there was a missing rubber, but that was the only annoying thing thats ever happened. I do like that every time ive ordered, ive picked the least expensive/longest shipping, but EVERY order has come 2 day priority mail. Ive smiled every time.

I like that atleast theres SOMEWHERE to get most of my desired parts when needed. thats my two cents. id recommend just emailing them if your're unhappy with order.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hmmm-do-you-believe-that-marco-s-sells-good-quality-stuff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.