Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Gexchange
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20120313_234301.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

I've had my Tron for a while but thought I'd share.. there seems to be something wrong with Sam's lightcycle here.

IMG_20120313_234301.jpgIMG_20120313_234301.jpg

#2 12 years ago

No way...... That came from the factory?

#3 12 years ago

From what I hear, they bought those toys from target, so it's very possible they couldn't source enough lightcycles. Looks like you have the super limited edition

#4 12 years ago

I have the correct light cycle if you are interested in it

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from coasterguy:

No way...... That came from the factory?

Yup.. yikes!

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

I have the correct light cycle if you are interested in it

THANK you for your generous offer, but I think I'm going to do the Hallmark mods anyway.

It was still disappointing to see though..

#7 12 years ago

Another reason why Stern should actually model their own toys instead of just including existing ones. What a shame.

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Another reason why Stern should actually model their own toys instead of just including existing ones. What a shame.

If the part exists it's usually just cheaper and easier to buy it. Of course you should secure enough for your production run

#9 12 years ago

Funny thing is they are running another few hundred more pros this summer.

#10 12 years ago

, "Stern: The 'S' stands for Savings!"

#11 12 years ago

wow. should still tell stern. they might give you something to make up for it.

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_customs:

I've had my Tron for a while but thought I'd share.. there seems to be something wrong with Sam's lightcycle here.

Attachments
    IMG_20120313_234301.jpg (368 KB, 0 downloads) 2 hours old

I have seen this before. Tron toys were clearanced out at Target and you can still buy them at Goodwill and other stores today. No excuse really that they couldn't get their hands on more Sam light cycles.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

I have seen this before. Tron toys were clearanced out at Target and you can still buy them at Goodwill and other stores today. No excuse really that they couldn't get their hands on more Sam light cycles.

Why wouldn't they buy direct from the manufacturer? Doesn't make any sense..

#14 12 years ago

Lol and everyone was paying me out for giving it to Stern for doing a shitty job with the game play for ACDC. I rest my case... Fkn useless they are. An insult to pinball.

#15 12 years ago

Why wouldn't they buy direct from the manufacturer? Doesn't make any sense..

I wouldn't doubt that the initial proto toys were bought from Target, but then that they did go to the manufacturer after that. I collected the Tron toys and stock a bunch of them at my video game store, and there is no way even if there was only 400 Trons made (JUST the LEs) that they could have got 800 of those light cycles at a Target.

#16 12 years ago

I have the same on mine. purchased a pro in august of 2011

#17 12 years ago

That's outrageous and pathetic. Shows a lack of proper attitude.

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from mummite:

I have the same on mine. purchased a pro in august of 2011

Did you call Stern or no? Just curious

#19 12 years ago

So for the uninformed, what's missing?

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

Lol and everyone was paying me out for giving it to Stern for doing a shitty job with the game play for ACDC. I rest my case... Fkn useless they are. An insult to pinball.

Wait, where was this? I spent a bunch of time on an AC/DC (Pro) a couple of weeks ago, and was decidedly unimpressed with the gameplay/"flow". Not one of SR's best, at all, imo.

#21 12 years ago

I just picked up a Tron Pro NIB (Thank you GEX!!!!). I believe my box was dated Aug 11 and I have the Quorra Car instead of 2 lightcycles. Given that it's near the Quorra shot, it played a pivotal role in the film, Olivia Wilde drove it, and my wife thinks she's hot..... The car is staying!

Seems like a worthy and appropriate substitution in my book.

So far, added Shaker, Arcade mod (v1), and cointaker blue LED flipper buttons.

Most importantly...... the family is having a blast with it!

ps. I really want the PC recognizer target stickers!!!!

pps. If there was one area that felt cheap to me, it's the manual. I didn't get a full manual, just about 20 poorly photocopied pages covering the coils and switches.......

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from worldofglenn:

pps. If there was one area that felt cheap to me, it's the manual. I didn't get a full manual, just about 20 poorly photocopied pages covering the coils and switches.......

Yeah I've gotta be honest here.. this also disappointed me. I have other Stern manuals and they're all photocopies, which I can live with since they're neatly bound anyway. This one though.. I work in the print industry, and I can honestly tell you they saved MAYBE $3 per game here? Come on..

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

Fkn useless they are. An insult to pinball.

There are issues, but that comment is a little extreme.

If it wasn't for Stern, the pinball world would be much different.

Maybe you thought we were talking about Marco, in which case – bang on!

#24 12 years ago

I didn't get a full manual, just about 20 poorly photocopied pages covering the coils and switches.......

you got the WHOLE manual. i emailed them when i got my NIB, and said, you must have run out of the original prints. "no, that's the entire manual". it's lame because i have no references to major replacement part numbers. really? i had to call them up to get the opto board part numbers to replace. lmao, i bet customer service at Stern is going to be very busy if this continues with newer machines to come. where are the schematics??

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

where are the schematics?

Guess they figured most people, OPs included, either don't use them anyway or even know how to read them for that matter...so why waste the money in printing schematics, drawings, and component breakdowns?

#26 12 years ago

Was the manual that came with the LE version the same?

It would be nice if it were even offered as a PDF on the website..

#27 12 years ago

boycott stern!!!!

#28 12 years ago

ovfdfireman said:I have the correct light cycle if you are interested in it
    THANK you for your generous offer, but I think I'm going to do the Hallmark mods anyway.
    It was still disappointing to see though..

what are the hallmark mods?

#29 12 years ago

Yes, I got the same manual with my LE that they are talking about.

#30 12 years ago

i'm guessing the 3 'in box' light cycles i bought from my Kmart are now worth 45$ each...accordingly to pinball toy prices?? lmao. i have 2 available if anyone needs one. i planned on using them..but i have like 10 other tron toys that i could use instead...lol

#31 12 years ago

The car sorta looks like an Ariel Atom...

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

worldofglenn said:I didn't get a full manual, just about 20 poorly photocopied pages covering the coils and switches.......
    you got the WHOLE manual. i emailed them when i got my NIB, and said, you must have run out of the original prints. "no, that's the entire manual". it's lame because i have no references to major replacement part numbers. really? i had to call them up to get the opto board part numbers to replace. lmao, i bet customer service at Stern is going to be very busy if this continues with newer machines to come. where are the schematics??

Why wouldn't they at least put schematics and part numbers in a PDF download on their website?

Not saying that is an excuse not to include a manual, but at least it is something.

#33 12 years ago

I thought this was a joke post and somebody just replaced the light cycle. Just to clarify, the machine came out of the box without the light cycle on it?

#34 12 years ago

Here's the PDF version of the manual: http://www.sternpinball.com/SGM_TRN.html

CD

#36 12 years ago

Planters49,

To be clear, some of the recent Tron Pro's have come with 1 lightcycle and 1 Quorra car from the factory, so the space is not empty. As I said above, I believe Quorra's car is a worthy substitution from Stern.

#37 12 years ago

I believe Quorra's car is a worthy substitution from Stern.

Agreed. I actually like it better. It's still part of the movie and can even be seen as her cruising in to save Flynn's son.

#38 12 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

RGR said:Lol and everyone was paying me out for giving it to Stern for doing a shitty job with the game play for ACDC. I rest my case... Fkn useless they are. An insult to pinball.
    Wait, where was this? I spent a bunch of time on an AC/DC (Pro) a couple of weeks ago, and was decidedly unimpressed with the gameplay/"flow". Not one of SR's best, at all, imo.

Thread titled ACDC, such high hopes

#39 12 years ago

Glenn,
    Want me to Print you a copy and mail it to you?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hmm-stern-mustve-run-out-of-parts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.