(Topic ID: 232273)

Hitting the "Extra Ball" button cheating??

By Scoot

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Do you consider hitting the extra ball button cheating?”

• Yes 47 votes
    66%
  • No 19 votes
    27%
  • Depends on the game 5 votes
    7%

(71 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15455710893961927492126 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

You're about to take over the high score on a table when ball 3 drains. It's game over... or is it? All of my mid 90's pins have an extra ball button that will allow you to play one extra ball after ball 3 for an additional credit. Do you reach down and hit it to go for the high score and does it feel like cheating when you do? I'm asking for a friend.

15455710893961927492126 (resized).jpg15455710893961927492126 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

On my WCS if you use the extra ball button you can’t get your name in the official high scores list. So press away!

#3 5 years ago

I normally disable them. However, occasionally for non-pin parties I sometimes flip them on for fun play. Or if I’m about to reset a game I’ll put it on and play stupid long games for a bit.

And of course, your games, your rules. If you like it on, leave it on and push the crap out of it. Always setup your games how you like to play them. Never cheat yourself out of fun the way you like it.

#4 5 years ago

A lot of games have separate score tables for buy ins. You dont make the true top high score

#5 5 years ago

Depends. . . if the person before you used it to get the high score, then I'd say push on!

#6 5 years ago

All the games I’ve had use a different list for buy in high scores. I disable it because I don’t like to see it at the end of every game.

#7 5 years ago

I have them disabled on all my games that have them. But, it's your game if you like the buy in EB keep it.

#8 5 years ago

The only reason I turn this off on my games is so someone doesn’t accidentally press it during league or a tournament. Same with the quick restart option so games aren’t accidentally restarted.

#9 5 years ago

I leave mine off in settings but have it wired to administer a shock that would drop a full grown Hereford to punish would be cheaters. It's a popular mod. I sell it on marketplace.

#10 5 years ago

I don't use it, but I don't consider it cheating since there's a separate high score table for buy-in games.

#11 5 years ago

With a separate high score board I consider it "less cheating" than changing replays to extra balls.

ha

Quoted from TheLaw:

I keep it active but rarely use it. Most games with it have seperate high scores, and it's good for friends to be able to use it.
Every single buy-in button on a machine I have seen active in an arcade setting. I have never seen a replay award an EB.

#12 5 years ago

It’s just a really dumb feature. The first thing I do upon getting one of those games is disable it.

It’s as dumb as setting games for 5 balls...doing three replay levels that all give out EBs etc...

#13 5 years ago

Slightly off topic, but is it cheating if you use glare guards bent plastic and or invisiglass on your pins?

#14 5 years ago

Play how you want to play it. Some of us arent good enough to see all the features in a game, so adding an extra ball as a score award is fine. I dont do 5-ball games myself, but I don't care if others do.

Like mentioned, there's a separate "buy-in" high score list so you won't see it as a "true" grand champ score. As long as you're having fun, set it up however you like.

I turn it off so that I dont have to cancel the buy-in timer.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

With a separate high score board I consider it "less cheating" than changing replays to extra balls.
ha

Right. Sttng has a separate board.. it was great for guests because the scores were as low as they could go so lots of people at any skill level were able to enter initials

#16 5 years ago

The only way I’ll press that stupid button is when I am playing Jack-Bot

#17 5 years ago

Side thought: I kinda wish that if you turn the extra ball buy-in feature off, it would also no longer show the buy-in high scores in attract mode.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Side thought: I kinda wish that if you turn the extra ball buy-in feature off, it would also no longer show the buy-in high scores in attract mode.

Fair.

Quoted from DK:

The only way I’ll press that stupid button is when I am playing Jack-Bot

Double fair.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

ha

Now who would do such a thing!?

#20 5 years ago

Back in the day this was simply a way of possibly tempting someone to throw in an extra quarter or two to simply progress further into the game. This was a calculated plan to increase their bottom line. A machine on location w/ this feature would earn an additional 11% or so. Just a simple & effective gimmick to keep the funds flowing into the pinball industry back then.

#21 5 years ago

I disable that feature because I don't wanna be prompted at the end of a game asking if I want to continue. I never noticed games having a different high score table for that feature, so that's cool. Maybe I'll explore that feature a little now.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I disable that feature because I don't wanna be prompted at the end of a game asking if I want to continue. I never noticed games having a different high score table for that feature, so that's cool. Maybe I'll explore that feature a little now.

I think on WCS it is listed as
"Honor Roll"

#23 5 years ago

I personally disable it, but if it gets you to enjoy the game more, who cares what anyone else thinks? There was recently a big Metallica update. I think the thing that had the most impact was changing factory default difficulty. I'm pretty sure I could have changed the settings to make it the same or similar before the update but would never consider it. With the new update I can complete the game, and I find it more enjoyable. Why do I have to wait for Stern to tell me what settings are ok to use? It makes no sense. All those settings are in there for a reason. I will probably stay stubborn and not mess with the factory default.... unless ball save is off by default.

#24 5 years ago

If the game enables you to do it, it’s not cheating. But of course it’s not allowed In Competitive play. Buy in games are their own thing, so you can’t compare scores without buy in vs with buy in.

I usually disable EBs and buy ins on my games because I think having a limit of 3 balls makes me a better player. But if it’s your game in your basement? Have fun with it.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Ockeyhead:

A machine on location w/ this feature would earn an additional 11% or so. Just a simple & effective gimmick to keep the funds flowing into the pinball industry back then.

Most people on here have actually said it hurt business; the player becoming board or getting too far and then not playing anymore.
Always been interested in whether it were true...I always believed it since they never brought it back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hitting-the-extra-ball-button-cheating?hl=lowbeau67 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.